• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Screenshots & Info (Puzzles, Spiders, Enemies, & More)

Kinsei

Banned
The very first thing we encounter in the original Resident Evil is a zombie, it's like a key figure to the series, I'm fine with having other types of enemies, other games in the series also had em', but please leave some zombies to shoot Capcom.

Resident Evil 4 and 5 had no zombies.

Shredderi

There are A LOT of jumpscares/scary moments

I'm out. Laziest fucking design choice for horror games. Are you prepared to be afraid of the next sudden image accompanied by a loud voice!? I miss penumbra 1 & 2 which didn't do any of this shit and were still really creepy.

I don't think I've bought a game on day one since I was a kid, especially now since prices drop from $60 to $30 in a matter of a month or two. But I grew up on Resident Evil and the new direction they're going with it looks interesting enough for me to take the mystery plunge, possible disappointment be damned.

Manu

Bitch please.

Everyone knows fucking Reapers are the worst insect enemies in the series.

latest

I hate you. I hate you so much.

I'm out. Laziest fucking design choice for horror games. Are you prepared to be afraid of the next sudden image accompanied by a loud voice!? I miss penumbra 1 & 2 which didn't do any of this shit and were still really creepy.

90% of the "scary" moments on the classic RE games have been jump scares.

Did you not play any of the classic RE games? Those were absolutely littered with jump scares. A lot of them were pretty cleverly done though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

To be fair, the series is hardly foreign to Jump Scares.

8700-550x-RE%20-%20Zombie%20Dog.jpg

29413-resident-evil-2-windows-screenshot-a-licker-smashes-through.jpg

7310171f070f68a7f16217801effb859.jpg

517f9a54903d422359babb902e5f3329.jpg

8286fe214c3f19bfa2a5da2c3b487968.jpg

nemesis.jpg

latest

And there's more in the first four games than I even posted, and more in the other titles in the series.

I also just realized how many window scares there are in the series.

It's also confirmed the game is not jump scare reliant as it were.

dlauv

The jump scares will be judged by how much control the player has and what the follow up to them will be. A lot of newer games put "jump scares" into cutscenes or scripted events, which sucks all of the air out of them.

In RE1 Arranged mode, dogs jump through windows I wasn't expecting. The angles always made me afraid something would jump from them, but I was only expecting the hunters from the later game.

The RE7 demo handles jump scares pretty well.

JJShadow

Second round of info:

- Ethan wears a watch called "codec", where you can check your health and works as main game interface
- Throughout the game we will find "cages" containing new weapons, health/weapons upgrades, etc. In order to open them, we'll have to collect coins that can be found in different scenarios (they seem to be hidden and difficult to find)
- There'll be a lot of locked doors first time we get into the Baker's house. To open them, we need to find specific keys or single-use lockpicks
- Items boxes are back
- Ethan is not particularly fast (his movement seems to be quite slow), so we have to pay attention to our environment for any enemy signal to start running away as soon as possible
- "Holoforms" are quite similar to Hunters, but slower. To kill them, we'll have to dismember them
- We'll have the option to use "psychostimulants" to find hidden items. However, they are completely optional and their duration is limited
- Puzzles will have a great presence again. However, the ones that they witnessed were quite simple (e.g. rotate an item in front of a source of light to generate a silhouette)
- We'll never see Ethan's face
- The world is filled with collectable VHS tapes that contain different "mini-games". For instance, they found one where Mia has to hide from Marguerite, and if the later finds her, you have to start over again. These tapes bring new mechanics to the table, as well as new story bits
- There are different collectibles besides VSH tapes. In the build they played, the menu indicated the presence of 32 documents, 18 old coins (currency to buy new upgrades) and 20 figures called "Mr. Everywhere", which function is unknown.
- The game seems to be in the final stages of development, as they played a build including Spanish localization

Okay, first bit of info, I'll keep translating after lunch. Sorry about my English!

- Main character is named Ethan, who travels to Dulvey (Louisiana) to look for his missing wife
- RE 7 is not a zombies game anymore. This time is much more focused on psychological horror
- A new type of enemy called "Holoforms"
- They saw 3 different final bosses and really liked them. In one of these boss fights you have to drive a car
- Much more focused on exploration than previous RE games
- Inventory size is limited (e.g. shotgun takes two intentory blocks)
- Manual saving
- You can save as many times as you want, but once you complete the game for the first time, you unlock the "Asylum/Madhouse" difficulty, where saving is limited
- The number of ammo is quite limited, so most of the time you have to run away from enemies. Ethan can also protect himself from enemies attacks by using his arms or by binding down just before he's gonna get hit
- Confirmed weapons so far: knife (first weapon you get access to), handgun, shotgun, magnum, flamethrower and chainsaw
- The members of the Baker family are "bullet sponges", so you will need a huge amount of ammo to kill them. However, they can be stunned after a certain number of shots
- There are A LOT of jumpscares/scary moments
- A certain kind on insect will have a great importance/presence in one section of the game
Pre-order cancelled.

Jawmuncher

The no face confirms that this game will have the main character taking a step back from typical main RE characters. He probably doesn't talk much, and it's not like he's wearing a mask like hunk.

Don't expect Ethan to be a new face for a new generation. Looks like capcom just wants to use him as a vessel for the main player.

Disappointing

Manu

RE hasn't had straight up Zombies since like RE4. In this world we have BOW's.

Zombies have been in RE6 and Revelations 2.

And technically, all the zombies in the series have been BOWs (or rather, accidental byproducts of creating BOWs.)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The fact that he wields a rocket launcher will never not be funny to me.

I find it amusing from the angle that Rocket Launchers = the most powerful weapon in the RE universe, used multiple times even at that point in the series to destroy the mutated final boss.

And then Nemesis comes around as the first enemy who uses rockets against you.

Second round of info:

- Ethan wears a watch called "codec", where you can check your health and works as main game interface
- Throughout the game we will find "cages" containing new weapons, health/weapons upgrades, etc. In order to open them, we'll have to collect coins that can be found in different scenarios (they seem to be hidden and difficult to find)
- There'll be a lot of locked doors first time we get into the Baker's house. To open them, we need to find specific keys or single-use lockpicks
- Items boxes are back
- Ethan is not particularly fast (his movement seems to be quite slow), so we have to pay attention to our environment for any enemy signal to start running away as soon as possible
- "Holoforms" are quite similar to Hunters, but slower. To kill them, we'll have to dismember them
- We'll have the option to use "psychostimulants" to find hidden items. However, they are completely optional and their duration is limited
- Puzzles will have a great presence again. However, the ones that they witnessed were quite simple (e.g. rotate an item in front of a source of light to generate a silhouette)
- We'll never see Ethan's face
- The world is filled with collectable VHS tapes that contain different "mini-games". For instance, they found one where Mia has to hide from Marguerite, and if the later finds her, you have to start over again. These tapes bring new mechanics to the table, as well as new story bits
- There are different collectibles besides VSH tapes. In the build they played, the menu indicated the presence of 32 documents, 18 old coins (currency to buy new upgrades) and 20 figures called "Mr. Everywhere", which function is unknown.
- The game seems to be in the final stages of development, as they played a build including Spanish localization

I thank you very much for translating JJShadow!

JJShadow

Third and final (short) round:

- Technically speaking, the game is not a masterpiece, but the graphics hold really well. The technical aspect they liked the most was the lighting effects
- The presence of HDR is the only technical detail confirmed so far
- There are constant references to the original Resident Evil

gfxtwin

The items/weapons being locked in cages thing sounds pretty clever, both a useful gameplay mechanic and something you might actually see in a demented murderous swamp family's house.

Spinky

Resident Evil 4 and 5 had no zombies.

Neither did either Revelations.
The no face confirms that this game will have the main character taking a step back from typical main RE characters. He probably doesn't talk much, and it's not like he's wearing a mask like hunk.

Don't expect Ethan to be a new face for a new generation. Looks like capcom just wants to use him as a vessel for the main player.

Disappointing
This is what I was expecting, but yeah, not too happy about it.

jimboton

Okay, first bit of info, I'll keep translating after lunch. Sorry about my English!

- Main character is named Ethan, who travels to Dulvey (Louisiana) to look for his missing wife
- RE 7 is not a zombies game anymore. This time is much more focused on psychological horror
- A new type of enemy called "Holoforms"
- They saw 3 different final bosses and really liked them. In one of these boss fights you have to drive a car
- Much more focused on exploration than previous RE games
- Inventory size is limited (e.g. shotgun takes two intentory blocks)
- Manual saving
- You can save as many times as you want, but once you complete the game for the first time, you unlock the "Asylum/Madhouse" difficulty, where saving is limited
- The number of ammo is quite limited, so most of the time you have to run away from enemies. Ethan can also protect himself from enemies attacks by using his arms or by binding down just before he's gonna get hit
- Confirmed weapons so far: knife (first weapon you get access to), handgun, shotgun, magnum, flamethrower and chainsaw
- The members of the Baker family are "bullet sponges", so you will need a huge amount of ammo to kill them. However, they can be stunned after a certain number of shots
- There are A LOT of jumpscares/scary moments
- A certain kind on insect will have a great importance/presence in one section of the game
Just like Hobby Consolas to mistake spiders for insects.

Dantooine

Banned
Mostly happy about what I'm hearing. Good that you don't see Ethan's face. I want the silent protagonist, much like Dead Space 1.
The bullet sponge comment and the fact that you have to run away from a lot of enemy encounters is not so good. I don't want tons of ammo, but enough that if your aim is true you can put 'em down! I recently replayed RE 1, 2,3 and CV and it's surprising how much ammo you get.

Still, day fucking one.

strafer

Jaw, you seem to have done a 360 on this game. I remember you not liking it initally.

I'm glad someone is happy about this. :)

Top Bottom