• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Screenshots & Info (Puzzles, Spiders, Enemies, & More)

Ninjimbo

Yeah..this seems like a return to pure horror. I can't really stand the B-movie feel they're going for. I've never liked those movies and the story bits they've presented thus far have only annoyed me.

I don't know if I want to play this: limited ammo, jump scares, bullet spongy enemies, it's all turning me off. I guess I'm turning into a little bitch.

Javin98

Banned
Every bit of info we get makes the game more and more interesting. I think it has overtaken Horizon as my most anticipated game. I really hope the final update of the demo releases immediately after PSX.

You know they'd just stick Leon's head on him..
What if Ethan is actually Leon who encountered memory loss and has taken a false identity? :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Any news on anything being released for XBO before release date?

The final (full) demo will 100% release on Xbox One and PC before release. Apparently they just decided to wait for the final demo update before they did so, and for PC they wanted to make sure to sweep it and make sure it can't be mined for spoilers.

The final (full) demo will 100% release on Xbox One and PC before release. Apparently they just decided to wait for the final demo update before they did so, and for PC they wanted to make sure to sweep it and make sure it can't be mined for spoilers.

Yesss
200w.gif

AdaWong

Wrapping my head around how "local" the setting/plot for this entry seems so far is so difficult, especially with how RE5/RE6 globalized the terror and now it's just a small town somewhere that no one cares about (so far) and how disjointed this entry seems from the previous canon installments.

Are they releasing another demo with combat etc. in? My hype is about -10 after the first demo but I'd give it another shot of course if there's another round of demos.

Dusk Golem

Are they releasing another demo with combat etc. in? My hype is about -10 after the first demo but I'd give it another shot of course if there's another round of demos.

There is apparently one final update to the demo coming out around PSX (so within a week). It's not confirmed what's in it, but in the last update we got bullets, so probably has at least one enemy in it would be my guess. We won't know until we know though.

I know that I will definitely buy this game.

And never play it.

Because I'm way too chicken for psychological horror nowadays.

16 year old me would've had the time of his life with this game for sure.

Jawmuncher

Jaw, you seem to have done a 360 on this game. I remember you not liking it initally.

I'm glad someone is happy about this. :)

I don't dislike the older RE games. Just that RE7 did take me by surprise which is where most of the disdain was from.

Jawmuncher

I wonder if RE6 hadn't underperformed, that we might have seen RE7 gone open world instead.

I feel it was more the reception that did that game in rather than sales. Though of course both can affect each other.

I can't see Capcom doing a mainline open world title for RE. I could see it as a spin off though. I can't even imagine making an open world game for RE. You more or less have two options.

Survival crafting
Big Bang open world with bsaa fighting horses of bow and zombies.

I suppose there's a third where you're a regular joe trying to survive an outbreak. But then that would start getting into Dead Rising territory .

Jawmuncher

Or simply RE7 would have been even more over-the-top action QTE infested genre mish-mash fest of a game than its predecessor.

I don't think so. Had RE6 did fine reception wise. I could still see them listening to feedback. I fully believe that RE7 originally would have been taken back to a more RE4 style.

t hicks

Banned
Couldn't be more hyped for this game...
So we'll most likely be getting Tape 3 this weekend during The Game Awards/PSX right? it did say early December in the last video

Ninjimbo

You're sick of it even though it hasn't been around since 2004?
You bet I am. I played all the REs and, well, I just got tired of that formula. I got tired of feeling helpless and scared all the time. RE4-RE6 felt so fresh to me that I would have preferred more games in that style.

But now I'm getting another horror game. The last horror game I played was too brutal. I had to force myself to finish it. I'm hoping that I've spent enough time away from this kind of game that RE7 ends up feeling like a revelation but I'm just dreading a playthrough of RE7 right now. It's a weird feeling since RE is one of my favorite franchises.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
You bet I am. I played all the REs and, well, I just got tired of that formula. I got tired of feeling helpless and scared all the time. RE4-RE6 felt so fresh to me that I would have preferred more games in that style.

But now I'm getting another horror game. The last horror game I played was too brutal. I had to force myself to finish it. I'm hoping that I've spent enough time away from this kind of game that RE7 ends up feeling like a revelation but I'm just dreading a playthrough of RE7 right now. It's a weird feeling since RE is one of my favorite franchises.

There is a plethora of action games nowadays. I think it's well deserved for the franchise to return to horror.

Personally I prefer being helpless in my games or at least starting out helpless and eventually assuming power. It's a visceral fear that you're trying to shake but just can't, and to me that's considerably more interesting than being an overpowered boulder-punching meathead who mows down hordes of enemies without ever so much as fearing for your life. Now that's boring.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I wonder if RE6 hadn't underperformed, that we might have seen RE7 gone open world instead.
I don't think that the reason RE7 we have now is the underperforming RE6. To me it seems more like Capcom completely miscalculated their business (Deep Down, it's engine and so on) and therefore didn't have the money to risk another big scale production.

Good coincidence actually because this smaller scale production suits RE much better. Hope they have enough success with this and keep going down that road. No need to go for the big $$$ with this series. Thank god the movie series is all but over and therefore Capcom can go back to please the actual gamers.

LordKano

Because you don't handle jump scares well or think that's an issue? If it's the latter, the series has had plenty of jump scares before.

I can't stand jump scares tbh. I don't play a lot of horror games because of this very reason. I liked most Silent Hill games (well, the two first and a bit of the third) because they were focused on "ambiant horror", and with really few jumpscares.

Wanderer5

Because you don't handle jump scares well or think that's an issue? If it's the latter, the series has had plenty of jump scares before.

Overuse of them can be a issue, where at that point it would feel so freaking cheap for scares. But anyway it apparently been confirmed that it won't be so reliant on those, so whatever.

Dusk Golem

Heads-up, just a few more tidbits of info:

-The Spanish magazine played the first three hours of RE7, all the screens and info we have from this are from the first three hours of the game.
-The last name of Ethan and Mia is Winters, so Ethan Winters and Mia Winters.
-The beginning area of the game is set at the Baker Plantation and 'around it'. Some 'around' locations include a trailer and a greenhouse.
-They say those who expect this to not feel like Resident Evil will probably be pleasently surprised, it oozes with charm of the series and has a number of moments that may make old-time fans nostalgic.
-Bugs have a big presence in a certain segment of the game involving the knife, they tease.
-The keys of the Baker Family Estate are animal shaped and themed. Lots of going through previous areas and unlocking new areas.
-Apparently references to all entries of the series is huge, there's nods to everything from the original to RE6. You might be surprised how clever some of them are, and the magazine says while they can't say what they are, some of them are glorious. (Personal note: I'm assuming they played this up since this is the 20th anniversary RE game.)
-There is a section where you need a crank to work a bridge.
-Apparently saving at cassettes is manual om Normal difficulty up, EXCEPT for boss fights where they give you a a auto-save when they show up on Normal (but not Madhouse difficulty). On Madhouse you can only save when you have cassettes.
-Game is said to be around 14-16 hours long.
-Mention that the old woman Camille will sometimes be heard or you see her shadow coming towards you, you turn around and there's nothing there.

Jawmuncher

There is a plethora of action games nowadays. I think it's well deserved for the franchise to return to horror.

Personally I prefer being helpless in my games or at least starting out helpless and eventually assuming power. It's a visceral fear that you're trying to shake but just can't, and to me that's considerably more interesting than being an overpowered boulder-punching meathead who mows down hordes of enemies without ever so much as fearing for your life. Now that's boring.

Even with other action games, I can see why RE 4-6 appeals to so many. Since even being action, there's no other games that play like them. So they were kinda their own thing in a genre of action. Sure there's jokes of "gears of resident evil 6". Which is just lumping "you shoot stuff and you can use cover so it's gears of war".

On the same hand though, I can understand why people are happy to see the games go back to horror. In terms of AAA there isn't much horror these days. So it makes sense to get more of that now.

Overall though I hope capcom can please both fan bases. There's no reason they can't. Do the mainline in this new style. Give us the classic style in REmake 2. Do a new series like revelations that focuses on action.

Top Bottom