• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Photogrammetry Demonstration at CEDEC sprinkled with tidbits of info

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Bollocks

img-2601_p5cf.1280.jpg

knew he looked familiar :D

Dusk Golem

Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Shin-Ra

Photogrammetry empowers any size studio with access to the equipment and training to capture and clean up very high detail *realistic assets quicker than by building them from scratch. The most challenging part is probably capturing complex things made of lots of different materials. I think the Vanishing of Ethan Carter dev blog goes into detail about that.

Smaller games like The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, inFAMOUS Second Son, all the way up to blockbusters like Metal Gear Solid V and Star Wars Battlefront.

*realistic stuff can always be stylised later.

Skeeter49

Everything is sounding so good about this game.

I don't plan on getting VR for a while, but I feel like RE7 will be great to experience in VR.

So they make this amazing looking stuff to dumb it way way down later?

Why would thier demo look like a ps3 title even though it felt quite nice and the lantern gameplay also looks similar to the demo

These shots are just what they can render out I think and won't be represented in game at all is my guess

Unfortunate and confusing...

Dusk Golem

kunonabi

I really hope the guy with the spacers dies a painful death. It's unfortunate that so much of this looks excellent but the demo and first person view make this a pass for me. Well, I can always watch my brother play I suppose.

ethomaz

Banned
So they make this amazing looking stuff to dumb it way way down later?

Why would thier demo look like a ps3 title even though it felt quite nice and the lantern gameplay also looks similar to the demo

These shots are just what they can render out I think and won't be represented in game at all is my guess

Unfortunate and confusing...
The game was made in parallel with the game with an early build of REngine.

And the last trailer was a VHS tape with effects to look old amd amateur like a video from a cheap cam. They didn't show the game in actual gaming time yet.

BTW even the demo looked pretty nice and on pair with most game on PS4... I was impressed playing it.

Jesb

Ok capcom, you now have my attention. But the demo did nothing for me. I'm a little more hyped now.

Golnei

I actually appreciate that Capcom does this. Japanese developers seemingly don't put as much stock into their butts as their western counterparts.

Look at Quiet or Lightning. Pancakes! Even DOA which is supposed to be good at that type of thing was lacking butts for the longest time. Some would say it still does.

In fairness, everything about Lightning is flat, but the others are valid examples. And even in a post-butt-jiggle world, DOA's focus is still notably lopsided.

As far as their general output is considered, they do still seem to stand alone - Platinum can sort of be counted alongside them, but they spun off from Capcom to begin with.

I still have to wonder if this would play into a virus that can miniplate not only humans but inanimate objects. RE6 has the growths and face moment with Adas campaign and was legit spooky, one of the few moments that creeped me out in RE6. Imagine growths that overcome objects,using them as weapons against the player,etc.

I still have to wonder if this would play into a virus that can miniplate not only humans but inanimate objects. RE6 has the growths and face moment with Adas campaign and was legit spooky, one of the few moments that creeped me out in RE6. Imagine growths that overcome objects,using them as weapons against the player,etc.

That was not an inanimate object. Carla injected herself with a virus, turned into goo and infested the entire ship.

Cubed

Honestly, after 6 I was 100% burnt out on the series and said to my RE buddies that if they just ended the whole series with a friggin' comic book, tied up all the loose story bits, I'd be fine with putting this franchise behind me. My friends all agreed.

RE6 and Revelations were bleh, at best... and 5 was a step down from 4. So, I just started to get over the whole series; which sucked, because it use to be my favorite game series.

Then Revelations 2 hit and was the best thing since RE4. Now this fresh perspective, in a new setting, with new characters for RE7? Sucked me back in. I'm so glad I'm anticipating the next RE game. When the epilogue for 6 made it look like it was going to feature Jake in the next main installment I couldn't have rolled my eyes more. Glad they ditched that idea, or at least put it on the back burner for a while.

Trace

Banned
Honestly, after 6 I was 100% burnt out on the series and said to my RE buddies that if they just ended the whole series with a friggin' comic book, tied up all the loose story bits, I'd be fine with putting this franchise behind me. My friends all agreed.

RE6 and Revelations were bleh, at best... and 5 was a step down from 4. So, I just started to get over the whole series; which sucked, because it use to be my favorite game series.

Then Revelations 2 hit and was the best thing since RE4. Now this fresh perspective, in a new setting, with new characters for RE7? Sucked me back in. I'm so glad I'm anticipating the next RE game. When the epilogue for 6 made it look like it was going to feature Jake in the next main installment I couldn't have rolled my eyes more. Glad they ditched that idea, or at least put it on the back burner for a while.

I'm just hoping it does turn out to be something fresh and new. If Leon pops up as a playable character or something I'm not buying it.

All that effort into what will amount to a clone of games that are half the price and have zero depth.

This is looking less enjoyable than 6 even.

I thought Jake and Sherry were great additions. Hopefully wewill continue to see the newer and older cast in future RE games even if it is more spin-offs like Revelations.

TreIII

That's...actually quite nifty. Thanks for posting up this write-up!

And yeah, count me in as another that would love to have that shirt.

kunonabi

I thought Jake and Sherry were great additions. Hopefully wewill continue to see the newer and older cast in future RE games even if it is more spin-offs like Revelations.

Jake and Sherry seemed like such a recipe for disaster but they ended up being the absolute best part of that whole train wreck.

This is almost beginning to sound comedic.
Im going by what we have seen and played so far, and as someone who has played so many of those and also loved RE since 1 it just looks so dull at the very least.

Look at my avatar, i'd obviously love to be wrong about this.

Hopefully the demo was just an awful demo and is completely different from the actual game(demo was just okay the 1st time but repeats and finger shit turned into into possibility worst demo I've ever played).

Dusk Golem

Im going by what we have seen and played so far, and as someone who has played so many of those and also loved RE since 1
It looks dull at the very least.

I don't take a couple of vague teasers and a teaser demo not really the game at face value. We've obviously seen next to nothing, but people are saying it's just going to amount to those cheap indie horror games or a cheap VR game.

That's ridiculous at this point.

Dusk Golem

liquidtmd

Banned
'No point doing another first person horror game video game industry, GAF gotcha figured out! You just want to produce a cheap Amnesia - Outlast knock off! We don't care that you've had the title in development for three + years and that we don't know your budget. You haven't shown us everything already five months before release! We know you're scamming us! We are not going to wait for reviews, we've written you off already'

'No point doing another first person horror game video game industry, GAF gotcha figured out! You just want to produce a cheap Amnesia - Outlast knock off! We don't care that you've had the title in development for three + years and that we don't know your budget. You haven't shown us everything already five months before release! We know you're scamming us! We are not going to wait for reviews, we've written you off already'

*sees combat footage* Well it's just PT with guns.
*sees more RE stuff* Well now they're just ripping off of themselves.

pottuvoi

Banned
That's actually really impressive. I was under the impression that the game would have a lower budget, considering Capcom's apparent situation.

I guess RE is still a franchise they can safely invest a decent amount of money in.
Photogrammetry can save money when properly used.

Even with simple gear you can get quite impressive results for color map an surface topology.

Have done tests with cellphone camera to get deeper sharp area and quality seems good enough. (Due sharp images shooting is easier.)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The ERSB rating for RE7 posted yesterday has confirmed the game has combat with weapons including, but not limited too, pistols, shotguns, explosives, flamethrowers, chainsaws, and more. But even ignoring that, as a horror enthusiast and someone who has played over a hundred first-person horror games at this point, there can be a surprising amount of diversity between them and I think RE7 has a lot more going for it as a first-person horror game than many might take it as on face value, even just paying attention to design/pacing/presentation of what's been shown so far and not what's been said in interviews.

You shouldn't bother anymore. Some people just won't bother to believe in facts about RE7. Just their own, warped version of it, because it's "not my RE!". All these huge topics of yours, filled with facts and new screenshots? They aren't worth shit apparently.

Read some of the discussion on the previous page. The Beggining Hour Teaser first of all was made some time ago and as they have said in the demo itself at the start and in interviews, is not representative of the final product. They talked about how the demo was developed alongside the early development of the project, and a lot of things in development, from mechanics to tech, changed since they had made the demo.

Every video taken so far is of the PS4 version, but with every new piece of media they release they also have amazing in-game shots released alongside it. If you pay attention to how the demo (and the Lantern Gameplay demo) handles rendering, when you open up specific doors the game loads in the details. The RE Engine (as its called) I think focuses on optimization to prioritize performance, as the game runs at 60fps on all platforms. I think the 'downgrade' is simply the engine working with PS4's hardware and optimizing the assets to work with PS4's hardware while still striving to retain 60fps. That does mean that it won't look that nice on consoles, but it does look nice while hitting the performance it aims for all the same. The game does have the potential to look really nice on a good PC, however.

Basically, from what I understand of the RE Engine and how they're handling development, the RE Engine was made in part by Capcom to prioritize performance optimization while dealing with high-quality assets to work on multiple different platforms and their hardware differences (also to probably help with porting to other platforms in the future and make the process easier). As such, the assets are optimized or 'downgraded' to work with the hardware at hand while achieving the desired performance. What we've seen so far is what the PS4 version will look like (though the game is probably in the polishing stages right now, so as any game development cycle goes, it probably will receive additional polish in this phase), and the screens they've been releasing alongside with the high-quality assets are probably the unoptimized assets that would be obtainable on a good PC that could handle it.

I would def take a wait and see approach but they aren't going to make the game look night and day different on pc, at best a version made for neo and ported decently to pc is what you would have to hope for.

I understand that maybe just maybe there is a game that is completely different from all the demos they have shown thus far and it blows away what we have seen.

I am hoping so but I won't count on it til I see it. Maybe it's a big part of the ps event next month and they all want a reveal and release type thing to be as close to possible on all the big things if it exists.

Top Bottom