• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Photogrammetry Demonstration at CEDEC sprinkled with tidbits of info

RSB

Banned
Im going by what we have seen and played so far, and as someone who has played so many of those and also loved RE since 1 it just looks so dull at the very least.
Yep, everything they've shown so far looks super generic and boring (the character designs, the setting, the gameplay...)

Maybe when Capcom decides to show "the real gameplay" it will look a bit less dull, but personally, I'm not expecting the combat to be anything special either (VR will limit their options quite a bit I'm sure)

Cubed

I thought Jake and Sherry were great additions. Hopefully wewill continue to see the newer and older cast in future RE games even if it is more spin-offs like Revelations.
In a spin-off I welcome it. Well, I welcome Sherry. Please kill off Jake. But Sherry? I could play as her for another game or two just fine!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Using photogrammetry with make up and practical monster effects is brilliant. Never thought about it being used like that.

Minamu

The tech stuff in the OP are great, but I feel that it's expected, yet sad, that developers still need to use band-aid-esque techniques for fixing inherent VR problems like motion sickness :/ Dunno if it's a problem with the tech level, but it seems clear to me that the language of VR as a new medium is still not understood (and I'm no better), which is why special options are needed for the better experience. I hope we get out of this new tech infancy soon.

BBboy20

This "Evil" being caused by somebody's muddling with the remnants of Plant 42 would be one hell of a callback.

Also: Thought the Ambassador thing came from RE6.

Yep, everything they've shown so far looks super generic and boring (the character designs, the setting, the gameplay...)

Maybe when Capcom decides to show "the real gameplay" it will look a bit less dull, but personally, I'm not expecting the combat to be anything special either (VR will limit their options quite a bit I'm sure)

A plantation in Lousiana is a generic setting?

Speely

Banned
This is really exciting tech, and I can't wait to see it used in creative ways (not to mention that speeding up the process is always a good thing.) RE7 is looking great, too.

RSB

Banned
A plantation in Lousiana is a generic setting?
IDK. Has that setting been used a lot before? If it has, then yes; if it hasn't, then no.

What they've shown so far looks very generic and boring though, as I said. Same for the character designs and the gameplay (again, judging from what they've shown so far)

That was not an inanimate object. Carla injected herself with a virus, turned into goo and infested the entire ship.

I understand, but it spread everywhere, over the whole ship.I'm saying what if a virus ever became capable of that. They could do some twisted and maybe even some more odd things concerning enemy designs. Like the not used baby dolls from pre-RE4.

Wow, technology is pretty cool. Interested in how long or how much content is in this game given it would be a little over 2 years in production/active development come release.

Thanks for posting, Dusk.

I worked for gamestop around the time RE4 dropped. People def had this, "this isn't my Resident Evil" -"my shit don't stink "attitude about the changes for the franchise. It happened then, it's going to happen now. Personally, having been with this franchise since day 1. I'm pretty amazed. If they strike a hit yet again, it's pretty impressive that they will have changed their franchise 3 times and still give fans yet newcomers a whole new way of looking at the series. I'm getting older and thought I was supposed to hate change, but fuck me, I'm pumped for RE7 like mad. My legit most waited game right now, avatar be damned.

UrbanRats

Comments like this are eyeroll worthy already.

It's not like Capcom has shown anything that doesn't make this look like one of the many Amnesia clones we've seen a million times now.
The game is coming out in January (allegedly) and we haven't seen anything that really sets it apart from your average Outlast.

I believe it's there, and we know of the combat and all that, but why aren't they showing ANYTHING? Make it stand out.
I guess people are just required to have faith for no good reason.

I worked for gamestop around the time RE4 dropped. People def had this, "this isn't my Resident Evil" -"my shit don't stink "attitude about the changes for the franchise. It happened then, it's going to happen now. Personally, having been with this franchise since day 1. I'm pretty amazed. If they strike a hit yet again, it's pretty impressive that they will have changed their franchise 3 times and still give fans yet newcomers a whole new way of looking at the series. I'm getting older and thought I was supposed to hate change, but fuck me, I'm pumped for RE7 like mad. My legit most waited game right now, avatar be damned.

Well i've been with this franchise from D1, too, and the first time i saw footage of RE4, back in the day, it immediately blew my mind, and i couldn't stop thinking about it.

The change itself isn't the problem, the problem is everything they showed looks painfully derivative and associated with some of the most shallow genre of horror games around (hide and seek ones).
Again, the onus is really on them to show and demonstrate how and why their game is good and different.
They haven't done this with VII (yet, anyway) like they did with 4, showing you swarm of clever enemies, the new camera angle, the shooting individual body parts, the mind blowing graphics, etc etc.

Squire

Banned
We're posting in a thread about "mindblowing graphics", so it seems like they've made that part of their case to some extent.

BONKERS

Shame all that work to create beautiful assets to make everything look like ass with Chromatic Aberration.

Wish this was a spin off instead of a numbered game. VR is cool and all, very immersive. But needs further iteration for me to be interested in buying one.
Based on my experience with the Rift and GearVR, low res, massive screen door effect and poor color convergence (Even after software CA/Lens correction, there is a ton of CA present.). Deal breakers. Especially the convergence..

I'll try to keep an open mind however. BTW Capcom i'm still waiting for Code Veronica X HD on PC! (PLS)

Mik2121

Definitely one of the highlights from CEDEC for me, next to Street Fighter V's sessions and the FFXv workflow stuff. Worth waking up so early to go to Yokohama!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

kc44135

I'm speculating plants have something to do with it too. I mean the main focal location of the game is a Southern Plantation, and in the CG footage in the reveal trailer you see root-like things growing over stuff, and in one of the shots that flashed quickly in the E3 reveal you can see a room with moving roots in it.

It's not too out of line with RE anyways as the original game (and RE2) had plant monsters.

But to be seen, to be seen. I don't think its turning people to plants but might be the source of some discovery or spreading something.
This isn't out of place at all for the series. As you said, there have been plant based creatures in the past, and in RE5,
flowers were revealed to be the originators of the Progenitor Virus
, so I think it's definitely possible that the plants on this plantation are the cause of a new virus. Perhaps this isn't the case, but I wonder if maybe the Bakers were supposed to figure out why
the Progenitor Virus could only be cultivated in Africa, and try to reproduce it elsewhere?
. Maybe they're still trying to continue their expirements even after the downfall of Umbrella? That crossed my mind, since it's one of the only unanswered questions from RE5.

eso76

img-2526_jkkv.1280.jpg

Is this from the game or a picture?
I can't tell (on mobile) but this kind of fidelity is what I would expect from a fps with mostly (exclusively?) indoor locations. At the same time this looks a lot better than the demo and even the latest trailer so not sure what to think.

kc44135

img-2526_jkkv.1280.jpg

I can't tell (on mobile) but this kind of fidelity is what I would expect from a fps with mostly (exclusively?) indoor locations. At the same time this looks a lot better than the demo and even the latest trailer so not sure what to think.

Wow, that looks really great! I'd assumed the demo was giving us a pretty good idea of what the game would look like (since it needs to run at 60 FPS on consoles for VR purposes), but this looks way better. Still somewhat doubtful they can achieve that fidelity at 60 FPS, but color me impressed if they can manage it.

Mik2121

img-2526_jkkv.1280.jpg

That's older. From what they explained at the event, this was early gameplay without having the console specs in consideration. They said it two or three times to make sure nobody would misinterpret it.
Seeing it in motion was mind blowing though. It looked way (too?) natural!

kc44135

That's older. From what they explained at the event, this was early gameplay without having the console specs in consideration. They said it two or three times to make sure nobody would misinterpret it.

Ah, makes sense.

UrbanRats

Maybe with Scorpio/Neo or on PC...

Neff

Even if I have reservations about RE7, it's nice to know that they're going all-in on production values.

Thanks, it clearly looks a generation ahead when being compared so i know something wasn't adding up, the assets were too good.

To start there is no subsurface present in the demo or the latest trailer.

subsurfacetestuksz2.png

residentevil7teaser_byyjpy.png

completely different assets too.

Akiller

Even if I have reservations about RE7, it's nice to know that they're going all-in on production values.

It's a new RE after all, a mainline one no less, aka the only type of project Capcom is less willing to cheap xD
Also, looks like this will be their next flagship engine so it is a sort of investment too.

Shin-Ra

img-2526_jkkv.1280.jpg

The background looks like a still-image (photo or a very good render) used for image based lighting. Just the hand rendered realtime there.

No way this is coming early 2017. They seem to be going all out.

It's been in development for years. They just chose to wait longer to reveal it compared to other games being revealed followed by a 2-3 year wait.

Of course, delays are always possible.

Piers

The background looks like a still-image (photo or a very good render) used for image based lighting. Just the hand rendered realtime there.

Even as a very good render, it looks like there is some subtle aliasing on the chairs and the rug texture looks a little compressed. Maybe it is just the potato cam quality.

Edit:
Woooo, VR really siphoned those potential visuals.

Scotia

Banned
All of this looks and sounds incredible. Really looking forward to this game. Thanks for the write-up Dusk Golem.

ethomaz

Banned
No way this is coming early 2017. They seem to be going all out.
This is the tech used in the game... not what they will use.

The game development started in Feb 2014... of course it will be ready in Jan 2017... it is not 20 years Square Enix.

So they make this amazing looking stuff to dumb it way way down later?

Why would thier demo look like a ps3 title even though it felt quite nice and the lantern gameplay also looks similar to the demo

These shots are just what they can render out I think and won't be represented in game at all is my guess

Unfortunate and confusing...

it hardly looked like a ps3 game lol.

Tyaren

That doesn't even look better than Uncharted 4.

Maybe because it's an off-screen capture, but there is a clear difference to me
img-2517_46uf.1280.jpg

26877280552_b7c767007d_o.png

Uncharted 4's art style is not going for realism but a stylized look. You would always be able to argue it doesn't look as good or realistic next to a style that is supposed to look photo realistic. Photo realism isn't by default always graphically better than a stylized look though.

Even DOA which is supposed to be good at that type of thing was lacking butts for the longest time. Some would say it still does.

Whaaat?! D:

I swear some people will still be unsatisfied when they all have the Kim Kardashian kind of mega butts. XD

Top Bottom