• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Spoiler Thread

Question guys I'm just curious does that ghost girl that appears in the demo ever show up in the game?

giphy.gif

Wait, there's still uncertainty about Chris being in this? It says Chris Redfield in the actors' credits. Obviously, they ditched the anime style from the previous couple of games and he looks normal now.

Wait, there's still uncertainty about Chris being in this? It says Chris Redfield in the actors' credits. Obviously, they ditched the anime style from the previous couple of games.
Listing him in the credits doesn't really prove anything, one way or the other. If this is supposed to be a twist on an assumed identity, they're not going to give it away literally minutes after they introduce it.

Doesn't look or sound like him, does look a lot like HUNK, comes dressed in riot gear ala HUNK, and steps out of an Umbrella helicopter. I think doubt is more than warranted until further info is released.

Wait, there's still uncertainty about Chris being in this? It says Chris Redfield in the actors' credits. Obviously, they ditched the anime style from the previous couple of games.
How the hell is RE5&6 Chris anime?

Why would you give a twist away in the credits?
He is in a freaking Umbrella helicopter..
He shows up in all black gear and a gas mask.

It isn't Chris unless he got Jill'd somehow. Capcom isn't going to do mentally fucked up Chris 4 mainline games in a row.

Zuzzissm0

is someone here on Xbox and redeemed the preorder dlc? for me it is the burner and shotgun set but under ready to install is nothing

So Lucas just sorta fucked off eh?

I really thought there was going to be a confrontation with him in the mines (since his stuff and the traps were there). I think that's the reason the game ending sooner surprised me so much

Also talking to Jack and Zoe in psychic dreamworld was one the weirdest non-RE in RE things ever

So Lucas just sorta fucked off eh?

I really thought there was going to be a confrontation with him in the mines (since his stuff and the traps were there). I think that's the reason the game ending sooner surprised me so much

Also talking to Jack and Zoe in psychic dreamworld was one the weirdest non-RE in RE things ever

Apparently you play against Lucas again the DLC. Wether it's Ethan or a different character, I don't know.

For some reason, Marguerite wasn't in the dreamworld.

LifeLike

LOL where the fuck are people getting this? It's obviously Chris Redfield, now the question is why is he in an Umbrella chopper??

I also do think it's Chris because when you hear the radio transmitter before going in the mines and you see an helicopter flying by, I'm pretty sure it is Chris's voice. Well it sounds a lot like Chris's Voice.

So Lucas got a cure of sorts... I say of sorts because it's apparently he isn't under Evelyn's control if I was reading that document right... but he still must have regenerating abilities and Jack cuts his arm off at the dinner scene.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
TBH, now that I think about it, the Zoe/Mia choice doesn't make a whole lot of narrative sense.

One, you have zero real time to build empathy with Zoe outside of her stacking up as an unknown vs Mia being commanded by Evie to attack you several times. If they'd had her get her hand chopped off instead of Lucas near the beginning, for example, that would be at least something that would let you start building a rapport.

You never actually 'see' her right up until the choice (aside from a fever/pain-inspired sequence of her reattaching your hand to your arm, of which you see only her blurry outline), never see her really 'help' you in any meaningful way (of which Ethan even comments on during one of the phone calls regarding Marguerite's abilities, to which she replies 'oh, sorry about that',) and never really build a connection with her - so why should you trust her, outside of disliking Mia more? By the time the choice comes up, you've already played a video as Mia against Marguerite, which inherently puts her in the 'non-villain' camp, and you're starting to get wind that she's being controlled against her will.

And to add insult to injury, if you pick her instead of Mia, she gets gibbed shortly afterwards.

The only real reason to pick her is if you dislike Mia more - and thus, it's not really a great 'choice', as such.

Also, had to lol when I thought more about Ethan's hand magically re-attaching and working with the staples. Either he got a secret dose of the mold, or Zoe's the best surgeon ever.

renzolama

My only thought when Mia was laying on the ground with the axe in her torso was "okay, I need that axe back right.fucking.now." I'm no better than an animal.

Rean

Does anything significant happen if you chose to save Mia instead of Zoe?

Also wtf, Chris is with Umbrella now.

sjay1994

Not sure if its been discussed, but the Japanese voice actor for "Redfield" is the same VA who has been doing Chris from REmake RE5, MVC3, RE6.

While Roger Craig Smith, is not the english VA for "Redfield" in the english audio.

So, now I don't know what to believe.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
So Lucas got a cure of sorts... I say of sorts because it's apparently he isn't under Evelyn's control if I was reading that document right... but he still must have regenerating abilities and Jack cuts his arm off at the dinner scene.

Yeah he's not. Which makes him a LOT worse. Because everything he did was of his own will. Jack and Marguerite were nice people, who were warped into something they were never meant to be. But Lucas lured a school bully to a fake party and starved him to death before Eveline. He's rotten. I hate how the files detail how his selected victims are young females. I hate how they turn the kidnapped women over to him, according to the Baker files. He's immortal. Mutated. But fully conscious, and aware of Eveline and what she is, and is actively keeping tabs on his flesh and blood for Umbrella.

I think he's the most hateful RE villain in the franchise. I legit despise him. And he fucking runs off. Chris needs to volcano punch his goddamn teeth in, in RE8.

sjay1994

God, now I don't know if Capcom screwed over Roger Craig Smith because the Japanese VA of Chris from previous game is "redfield" in the japanese audio. While RCS is not.

Did he get David Haytered? I love RCS's work, so it would suck to know that Capcom just didn't want him back to be Chris.

Not sure if its been discussed, but the Japanese voice actor for "Redfield" is the same VA who has been doing Chris from REmake RE5, MVC3, RE6.

While Roger Craig Smith, is not the english VA for "Redfield" in the english audio.

So, now I don't know what to believe.

The change in actors is because the new game was developed using photogrammetry. So all the English voices are done by the actors that portray the characters. Like Jack Baker:

They could've gone with Roger Craig Smith, I guess?

But for whatever reason they figured if they had to recast anyways, might as well find a new face for Redfield.

God, now I don't know if Capcom screwed over Roger Craig Smith because the Japanese VA of Chris from previous game is "redfield" in the japanese audio. While RCS is not.

Did he get David Haytered? I love RCS's work, so it would suck to know that Capcom just didn't want him back to be Chris.

Every actor in this series gets Hayter'd.
Jill(especially) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtCLpWHHURE
Chris
Leon
Claire
Ada
Wesker

sjay1994

Every actor in this series gets Hayter'd.
Jill(like every 3 times)
Chris
Leon
Claire
Ada
Wesker

I know, but it feels weird cause Roger has been Chris for almost 6 years now, while every other actor for other characters are usually only for one game, and one game only. I felt like RCS had become "the" voice for Chris because of all the content he voiced Chris in. I guess things change.

I also do think it's Chris because when you hear the radio transmitter before going in the mines and you see an helicopter flying by, I'm pretty sure it is Chris's voice. Well it sounds a lot like Chris's Voice.

Not to mention they think everyone in the mansion is dead. They have no reason to believe anyone is alive to lie to about their reason for being there, so they don't; they're explicitly there to kill Eveline, and nothing more.

Plus, the twist of Chris being there isn't meant to make people think "that's not Chris!" It's there to make people wonder, "why is Chris working for Umbrella?" If you ask me, he reformed the Umbrella Corporation to hunt remaining BOWs. Evi was a holdover from one of Wesker's projects after he left Umbrella, after all.

The change in appearance and voice acting is the result of two things: the first is the new art style and more realistic visuals, which allows for more realistic appearances and less exaggerated proportions if the artists wanted to avoid it. Chris' weird, meaty face doesn't really fit the more grounded visuals of RE7. Second, previous RE games are known for really, really campy voice acting. Longtime fans know this really well. Getting rid of a staple VA like Roger Craig Smith distances the series from the campy tone of previous games while still allowing legacy characters to fit in with the new tone.

sjay1994

The change in actors is because the new game was developed using photogrammetry. So all the English voices are done by the actors that portray the characters. Like Jack Baker:

But for whatever reason they figured if they had to recast anyways, might as well find a new face for Redfield.

So I guess that the person at the end of the game is Chris then.

I still don't get why Vendetta's Chris would look like 5 & 6's if they were going this route.(especially with Vendetta having a different va as well.)
It is extremely dumb on Capcom's part.

sjay1994

I still don't get why Vendetta's Chris would look like 5 & 6's if they were going this route.
It is extremely dumb on Capcom's part.

Guessing it's due to communication issues between the people making the movie and the people making the game. The same thing can be seen regarding Ravus in both Kingsglaive and FFXV where design wise he might be consistent, but his motivation in both are completely different.

So I guess that the person at the end of the game is Chris then.

I mean, it could be a twist. But that's why they recast him and probably why they'll likely recast any other returning characters. I honestly think they could get by with most of the majors though.

Just for reference:

Leon Kennedy (RE6) - Matthew Mercer

Jake Muller (RE6)- Troy Baker

Jill Valentine (REV) - Michelle Ruff

Claire Redfield (REV2) - Ali Hillis

Everyone but Jill is in the ballpark. That said, I wouldn't cross my fingers about seeing any of them back.

Guessing it's due to communication issues between the people making the movie and the people making the game. The same thing can be seen regarding Ravus in both Kingsglaive and FFXV where design wise he might be consistent, but his motivation in both are completely different.

I just don't buy it really.
chara10Q94l_rev2.png

why so off from modern Chris?

1. They cast based on voice...
The guy is a nobody and sounds generic, why?

2. They cast actors as a complete package...
The guy is a nobody and looks nor sounds anything like modern Chris, again why?

Must have asked the talent people to fuck their shit up
"got you fam"

Honestly i'd be fine with Chris being based on RCS.

Simple: distance the new entry from the extremely campy voice acting of previous entries. RCS had his fair share of goofy dialogue (plus he punched a boulder), so getting rid of that image of Chris helps better ground the character.

Change his appearance from the musclebound meat-man that he was in RE5 and 6 to something more realistic and less comical. In RE7, the technology is available to make easily distinguishable characters based on facial appearance alone. Not to mention if you're going to be providing your voice, the technology also requires you provide your face. So that's two-for-two: change the voice and appearance to distance the character from the goofier entries he appeared in.

Everything should be explained in that Not a Hero DLC, but yeah I can't see that dude being Chris. Looks nothing like him. I wonder who that is and what that means for the future.

Foxxsoxx

So am I the only one getting a huge vibe that you're about to be experimented the fuck out of by the ending?

It seems to imply that Ethan thinks that he finally made it out of that nightmare but that he is about to be in for a rude awakening.

Mendrox

Even the credits list him as Chris Redfield.

It's okay fans, I know change hurts

Yes, Capcom would spoiler a twist immediately in the credits.

That's really no reason for that. I also don't think that this is Chris. Umbrella helicopert? "Redfield"? Black suit etc.

Please.

We will find out in the future.

RSB

Banned
I just don't buy it really.
chara10Q94l_rev2.png

why so off from modern Chris?

Must have asked the talent people to fuck their shit up
"got you fam"

Honestly i'd be fine with Chris being based on RCS.
Because they are using photogrammetry now, so he looks like the actor they hired.

Yeah, that new "boring realistic look" they are going for sucks compared to the stylized character design of previous games, but, you know, Capcom.

Tido84

So normally Chris introduce himself As Chris Redfield in the other titles. the guy is just saying Redfield is actually for me pretty obvious that there is more behind that .

Can you tell me how is Evelyn giving the virus to the family ? I mean the grandmother (Evelyn) has to be in the near so the family is controlled by her. Is it the black mold liquid?

Why can Ethan in the end of the game see the little girl even though he is not infected by the e virus ?

Because they are using photogrammetry now, so he looks like the actor they hired.

Yeah, that new "boring realistic look" they are going for sucks compared to the stylized character design of previous games, but, you know, Capcom.

Thats the point im making,
Why would they cast someone so far off in looks from Chris?

You could argue that they cast for voice first but again... why this nobody?
Why not RCS and design new Chris based on him.

strafer

If there's no hidden agenda with all this then Capcom can fuck right off.

Better if they just called this a reboot instead of connecting it to the main series. I would be less upset if so.

Roussow

It seems really disingenuous to redesign the character to that degree and then still tell us this is all cannon and builds on previous RE games, especially considering how significant Chris's role has been in 5 & 6. Considering the Umbrella helicopter, I'm hoping that this is some bloke posing as Chris and they're totally going to fuck over Ethan (and Mia, assuming that ending's cannon). I haven't read their dlc plans but that could be a great little epilogue to re-establish Umbrella as a threat.

Top Bottom