• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 in early development and new RE game unnamed coming 2021

Porcile

Doesn't seem like a good idea to make it a yearly franchise, Eventually you just know Capcom will put out a rushed stinker and set the franchise back another five years.

Javthusiast

Banned
Onimusha baby, give it to me. Never played Dino Crisis, but would love a remake or totally new game in re engine with that chicks booty in glorious quality.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wesker back? We have thread with that today, so due to current climate with "insiders", I take it as a controlled leak from now on. Believe™

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I hope they take the cue from REmake 2 when doing RE8.

RE7 was good, but I liked REmake 2 so much more.. Historically, it has worked pretty damn well, when they have re-started develoment. RE2 and 4 come to mind.

RE7 was good, but I liked REmake 2 so much more.. Historically, it has worked pretty damn well, when they have re-started develoment. RE2 and 4 come to mind.

Resident Evil 5 also went through a massive change during development (single-player to co-operative) and came out the other end as one of the best co-op action games of the generation. Although the setting may not have changed for 5 during that time, common sense says a lot had to be shifted in terms of story once Sheva was created. She's pretty active in a lot of the cutscenes in the game, although ultimately she does defer to Chris' judgment for everything.

MB1

Banned

Yep that's the big question. I think most fans prefer the RE2/3 remake style vs the more conventional fps horror games RE7 was emulating.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No more REmakes sucks. Was hoping for a Code Veronica REMAKE. Oh well. :(

SuperGooey

Yep that's the big question. I think most fans prefer the RE2/3 remake style vs the more conventional fps horror games RE7 was emulating.
RE7 was definitely inspired by modern horror games, but I think grouping it in with those games does it a great disservice. RE7, at least the first half, has such tight level design with sublime balancing in the item management. It really does reach the heights of REmake at times.

Overall, I think both REmake and RE2make are much better games than RE7, but I think there is a lot of potential to give that style another shot, and build on it the way the original RE2 built on RE1. RE8 really just needs to beef up the puzzles, add more enemy variety, and flesh out more small-scale environments so that it reaches the perfect pacing of the two remakes.

I love the idea that the series works in trilogies:
1-3: Classic survival horror
4-6: Action-horror
7-9: first person, small scale survival horror

10: Return to fixed-camera, tank controls with over the shoulder aiming, ala RE 3.5. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Something interesting happened that I decided to share with the class. Andy from the Garman GAMEZ.de YT channel (run by Mediamarkt) has proven itself credible to me what it comes to RE leaks. They are basically the Game Informer of Germany. He said that Biohazard Declassified was correct and that Dusk Gole/AestheticGamer suggestion that the leaked game was likely canned is wrong. Andy´s take:

The European snow setting, the wolf creatures, Chris coming back (apparently hunting Ethan) and the FPS gameplay were all cofired. The zombies will also wear knight armor (an early idea for the actual RE4) and the "ghost" will look more like a witch. How I imagine the knights:

The game´s director hasn't directed a Capcom game in years but has produced many in the meantime or something like that. Guess away here. I got nothing.
Don´t take any of this as gospel but I like what I head so far. I legit trust Andy.

Last edited:
Not actual werewolves. Nobody ever said that and both RE 4 and Rev 1 had mutated wolves as enemies. Fact.
RE6 has a bones-skin dinosaur boss from Dino Crisis 3 who turns into The Fly later. RE1 has the Chimera and that was in 1996. Outbreak 2 had an infected zoo and crazy plant stuff. RE Zero was mostly animals. Rev 2 and the 3rd anime film Vendetta basically stapled people together and fucked the canon really good with the C-virus that can be fully healed via injection or gas even after going full zombie.
Rev 1 has death lasers from orbit, discount Conan O'Brien and Columbo. Lol. Thx Mr. Bebop, what did you even write? His Rev 2 script works though.

Onimusha 1 and DMC 1 were nearly canon RE games, etc. Putting in the Beast of Darkness TM is frankly restrained for RE at this point and worked for FromSoft, as they did it twice:
sulyvahn-s-beast.jpg

The shitty 2nd manga -they are canon and tie into RE6 and both Revs- even had classic Haitian zombies (the one good idea), fucking biki-idols and total nonsense like this "Schraube Dämon":
latest

There are barely any rules in the RE world as long as you keep it sci-fi. Even back in 1996. Hallucinations are nothing new either if we are talking about the suggested "ghost". Outbreak 2, RE 4, 7 (+ the demo) and 2 versions of RE 3,5 say hello. Let uncle Capcom work I say.

Last edited:
I'm not going to lie, I'm at work so I just looked at the thumbnail of the video which definitely makes it look like werewolves. I wasn't saying anything bad, just confused as to the direction choice of what I assumed would be bipedal wolf monsters, especially with how slow paced RE7 was. Either way, with how great RE7 and 2 Remake were, I have a lot of faith in Capcom to make a solid RE8.

There is a lot of confusion on what Red and Blue Umbrella are due to seeds of it technically coming from Umbrella Corps game and the 2nd manga BIOHAZARD Heavenly Island and no one played/read those. Don´t bother I say and stick to the well-run wikia:

The BSAA still exists and the new Umbrella (it should be at least partially owned by the US government) can´t run an army anymore for obvious reasons. So they employ soldiers from sanctioned PMCs and so on. That´s why Chris was in RE7 and Not a Hero explains why he is with them and that he doesn´t trust them. He even goes out of his way to kill his target and destroys the data he was supposed to secure from Lucas.
Ethan Winters was further clearly infected due to extreme regeneration (there are multiple ways to lose a leg btw.) and the pretty extreme hallucinations in the 2nd half outside of not being fully trustworthy. You could do something with him if Capcom plays their cards smart so I actually want him back regardless of these leaks.

A version of Wesker (i ain´t saying it is the man who died in the vulcano), voiced by DC Douglas, is part of Red Umbrella and is very high up the chain. Umbrella Corps even has unused lines that fully spell this out and his old company was likely in RE7. I got a feeling that someone at Capcom at least somewhat tried to write a new lore bible around the time RE7 went into production in the same way Sugimura did when he was hired to fix RE 1,5 and decided to do more work for Capcom after RE2 blew up. RIP big guy, you were a true legend and most fans don´t even know your name:

REmake 2 gave him a story-credit so that´s nice. There are at least 2 scripts of RE 3.5 by him that just lie in the Capcom vault unless one of those floods took them... I know that RE4, Haunting Ground and RE5 + Lost in Nightmares used some of his ideas but I just want to see these out in the open. Even in the form of a production book. Don´t remake RE4 Capcom, actually make RE 3.5 instead. RE8 may have similar ideas though. We´ll see.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The other RE game is FP VR game spinoff to RE7
They was originally going with a similar idea for RE8, but scrapped it after the success of RE2 Remake.
Any rumours that suggests RE8 to be like RE7 or have connections to it are false or based on the scrapped project.
My Ass
But is likely true based on interviews that said RE2 was the new direction for the series.

Last edited:
The interesting thing about RE 7 is that Kōshi Nakanishi went from the 2 3DS games to RE7 of all things. We know for a fact that that team went on to something else inside Capcom (they have a lot of teams btw) and Capcom was stoked with how RE7 turned out in the end. That game was specifically done after a proper RE6 sequel was canceled. He even played Jack in the alpha build of the game:

The canned RE7:
That cancellation shows that sales aren´t everything to Capcom. Not that I hate RE6 but yeah... it had glaring problems and a dogshit script.

Having RE stuck to one vision (and the bewildering Nintendo deal) outside of fucking Gun Survivor and I guess Gaiden nearly killed RE despite it being Capcom´s biggest IP TGO TGO . Until MoHun overtakes it that is.
Clear player and developer frustration, a sharp drop in sales and the undeniable stagnation are why RE 4 went though 5 other versions till we got the final game. One became DMC and another Hunting Ground so not all work went to waste.

Capcom will never ever tie RE to just one playstyle again. Project Resistance is already different from REmake 2 but REmake 3 will be close enough for sure. Not that I think that it will outsell REmake 2.
There is a Japan-only VR arcade game named BIOHAZARD VALIANT RAID, RE is a core part of the TEPPEN card game, 2020 will bring the next pachinko machine named FEVER BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS 2 and RE7 was recently adapted as arcade VR machine named BIOHAZARD WALKTHROUGH THE FEAR. I can go on. We don´t need leaks to know that more FPS RE is on the way. Especially due to RE beginning as an FPS (due to the Sweet Home roots) and then a co-op game before both playstyles proved too taxing on the then fresh and unproven PSX. That´s why these elements keep coming back. Both are part of RE´s primordial broth. Not that RE4 clones are going anywhere either. The only thing we lost for good is the 1996-2004 (Outbreak 2) playstyle. Goodby fixed cameras and proper tank controls. What I would give for a lower budget Rev game with those elements back in play but I can´t complain too much. RE7 Gold and REmake 2 were the real deal. Even Rev 2 was mostly on the money for a budget-ish game.
In summary: RE was never just one thing. That´s how it survived 2,5 decades. And i was there since the late 90s with RE1 on the PC. I´ll be there for Capcom.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Long time RE fan and absolutely adored RE7. It still felt like classic RE in first-person and... getting your hand cut off and running around with a gushing arm... probably the coolest and most immersive gameplay experience this gen. Like I was running around in horror in-game like when it happened. And it was your girl that did it!? Man, that fucking game was so great. That was the greatest shock horror experience I’ve ever had in gaming. Genius

I’m all for it continuing to be in first-person even while I did love REmake 2. They’re both great but RE7 upped the horror side of things by being more intimate with the user experience.

Last edited:

manzo

I'm still playing through RE7 in VR on a PS4Pro. It has been the most memorable game experience I've had since... I don't even remember. It's definitely the killer app for VR.

I just hope RE8 will be also first person and has VR support.

Romulus

I'm still playing through RE7 in VR on a PS4Pro. It has been the most memorable game experience I've had since... I don't even remember. It's definitely the killer app for VR.

I just hope RE8 will be also first person and has VR support.

It's definitely one of Playstation VR killer apps. PCVR has its own batch of them now.

Even though there are no motion controls, RE7 VR still one of my favorite games, but it takes VR to be fully realized.

Last edited:

manzo

It's definitely one of Playstation VR killer apps. PCVR has its own batch of them now.

Even though there are no motion controls, RE7 VR still one of my favorite games, but it takes VR to be fully realized.

RE7 didn't need motion controls to be immersive and I actually prefer it that way. It's more a classic game in an immersive setting.

Romulus

RE7 didn't need motion controls to be immersive and I actually prefer it that way. It's more a classic game in an immersive setting.

I would like the option honestly for motion controls. Not so much with psvr, but I do like playing VR games with gamepads too, like RE7.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Give me that Until Dawn/Man of Medan style Resident Evil game with dialogue choices and differing paths. Kidding mostly. I wouldn't mind a spinoff in that style though.

SweetShark

Call me insane if you want, but I have a desire to see a tactical strategy game in the style of XCOM.
Having an organization go against terrorists organization creating zombies and mutants sound freaking cool.

Moses85

Call me insane if you want, but I have a desire to see a tactical strategy game in the style of XCOM.
Having an organization go against terrorists organization creating zombies and mutants sound freaking cool.

Yes, you are definitely insane 😂😉

Top Bottom