• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 is great but has a huge design flaw (spoilers)

nkarafo

Did you like the castle? Well, that's too bad. After you beat the boss, your reward is to be locked out of if for the rest of the game. If you missed anything, a couple of rooms marked as red, a treasure or anything else, you won't have a chance to re-explore the place. Unless of course you start all over again.

Same thing applies to the second story area that involves a certain manor/house. Once you solve it the game locks you out of it and you can't explore it anymore.

This design choice is really bad. And Capcom is one of the worst offenders (same exact issue in Resident Evil 3). This wouldn't be a problem if it was a linear, action game but it's not. It's a game that focuses a lot on exploration and item hunting. So why the heck would it lock whole areas behind you after you trigger some event?

After my time with Resident Evil 3, i knew better than leaving a single area without being sure i found everything possible. But it still sucks that you have to do this.

What other games do this?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah it's not a great design. The castle seems to be a main part of the game but then you beat it and learn that there is still 3/4th of the game left

Draugoth

Gold Member
Did you like the castle? Well, that's too bad. After you beat the boss, your reward is to be locked out of if for the rest of the game. If you missed anything, a couple of rooms marked as red, a treasure or anything else, you won't have a chance to re-explore the place. Unless of course you start all over again.

Same thing applies to the second story area that involves a certain manor/house. Once you solve it the game locks you out of it and you can't explore it anymore.

This design choice is really bad. And Capcom is one of the worst offenders (same exact issue in Resident Evil 3). This wouldn't be a problem if it was a linear, action game but it's not. It's a game that focuses a lot on exploration and item hunting. So why the heck would it lock whole areas behind you after you trigger some event?

After my time with Resident Evil 3, i knew better than leaving a single area without being sure i found everything possible. But it still sucks that you have to do this.

What other games do this?

Yup, at least you can speedrun the game to get everything with NG+.

RE7 was like that too, after a certain point you couldnt get every reward.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah but ng+ is super easy. You can get to the castle within the first 15 minutes. I finished the whole Castile area and chapter 2 in a little over an hour.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Yeah it's pretty bad but that's the only negative about it. Just finished it myself.

Bitter irony for me is I fucking hated the Tall Lady media shilling but her part of the game was the best. Not the character, just the castle. The area had good pacing and wasn't as linear as other areas later on. After her part the game rushes you through the other areas.

SCB3

I liked how they tried to blend the different types of horror genres together, but I would have been fine with just it all being in the castle. Still has ended up as one of my GotY

I'd love to see a making of, I'm convinced that it was supposed to be more open in what order you do the different areas

Varteras

Gold Member
I only saw two huge things with this game

pZVMTWc7TgFYAosDjmUnPT.jpg

Aldynes

RE 8 is still weird for me; didn't bother replaying it after my first playtrough on hard, the Castle was amazing I think they dropped the ball with lady D, they saw the fans reactions but it was too late to rework the game into making her the main antagonist instead of what we got, they didn't expected that succes.

MiguelItUp

I definitely agree with that. I felt like there were multiple moments where the game forcefully held my hand. As a result the game's design felt very... safe? Sometimes almost on rails-like even.

Funny enough I thought it kind of shared the same opinion that I had with RE7, that the first half of the game was much better than the second. But I think I enjoyed 7 more than Village.

arvfab

Banned
RE8 has many other flaws, but what you are complaining about, has pretty much always been part of RE games.

Doom85

Yeah I thought for sure Lady D was the main character of the game and you kill her first... like what the hell?

They showed near the beginning 4 bosses right before you when Ethan was captured by Heisenberg and the leader calling the shots (Miranda). Since Lady D’s home is the first area you find yourself in, anyone who’s played a decent amount of games should have realized she was the first boss. What, did you think that the three others and Miranda were all going to show up in the castle despite the game making it extremely clear the place was Lady D’s home exclusively?

This isn’t even like 7 where one has to pick up on the subtle hints that Eveline is the one behind it all. 8 literally showed you the true leader barely 2 hours in or so. I don’t know how the game could have made it more obvious.

Last edited:

Banned
I agree, I was really pissed that I could not go back there... and I wonder why? I don't really see any game design or story related reason for that to be the case, at least not right away... i get it if you get towards the end of the game, but it should have been accessible for at least a short while after you finished it

MrMephistoX

It took a while for it to grow on me but I actually ended up loving it by the end. Glad I went back to it after I made a thread saying I wasn’t feeling it and got persuaded to plow through.

Astral Dog

RE 8 is still weird for me; didn't bother replaying it after my first playtrough on hard, the Castle was amazing I think they dropped the ball with lady D, they saw the fans reactions but it was too late to rework the game into making her the main antagonist instead of what we got, they didn't expected that succes.
Nah its fine, she wasn't supposed to be the only antagonist, the others still got pretty popular except for the fishman.

Lady Dimitrescu still had the biggest part of the game and lead the marketing campaing, plus there still DLC

That's the structure of most Resident Evil games, though? Your character stumbles upon a location, you figure out how to escape through a selection of elaborate puzzles and/or combat, and you move forward to a new location to repeat the process. From the mansion in RE1, to the police station in RE2, to the castle in RE4, the list goes on.

Maybe the existence of the overworld map gave you the impression that it's an open world game and that you could go back anytime? Well, it's not - it's a Resident Evil game.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Points of no return and permanently missable content are definitely an antiquated element in gaming, but I wouldn't necessarily point to them as outright "bad,"

It encourages replayability in a campaign, and that's where half (or over) of the value comes from in most RE titles. Playing through the storyline again at a different difficulty, at a different speed, with a different character, using a different weapon set, using unlockables. In my mind it incentivizes starting another playthrough, where otherwise, some players might only do one run because they feel like they've seen everything or made their first run a completionst run.

I can see why it bugs some people, but I don't really mind it, myself.

Old school RPGs had their fare share of this, too.

Yeah but the game is meant to be replayed anyway. Plus, I was lucky to get all the treasure on my first play through and you don't even get a trophy for that. So its not like you are crippled for not having extra 20.000 lei. As far as it being a flaw...I mean can you go from third level of Doom Eternal, back to first one to collect that one missing doom guy doll? No. You have to replay the whole level again. Actually I would say a lot of games do this. Maybe not a open world RPG but lets not stretch it, RE is neither. RE7, once you get on that abandoned boat you can never go back to the house again. But realistically, what would be the point of going back into the largest area of the game when everyone is dead. I mean its nice to look around in peace but the area is massive to be backtracked without any enemies.

Last edited:
While I liked it that the marketing was so focused on the castle and therefore nearly everything else was nearly never shown, it is just a fact that the castle was beautiful done and the other areas felt pale compared to it. I am sure most of the development time was spend on the caste and the rest of the game was rushed.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I quite enjoyed 8, but its very scattershot and unfocussed. Which I found surprising as 7 felt really dialled-in on returning the franchise to its roots. I suspect it might be because it started out as Revelations 3 and was later on shoe-horned clumsily into the mainline narrative... I mean take away the prologue and the exposition dump right at the end and you have very obvious successor to Rev. 2.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's not a flaw though, it's by design. The game is very much based around running it over and over again in different ways.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, my first playthrough I missed some items too but it wasn't a huge deal, I still haven't managed to find a particular item on the roof of the castle. I missed out on a bunch of stuff too in the village because I couldn't figure out how to access a certain area but I never viewed it as a negative, I like how navigating the village is like a puzzle in itself.

RE8 is my personal GOTY. Capcom nailed it and the PS4 version is impressive as hell, great load times, great framerate, etc.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Its called Village for a reason. Not Castle. Marketing was missleading with Lady D as well because sex sells. The castle and all other places besides the Village are secondary and just like previous games most secondary places cannot be revisited.

tassletine

It IS a linear action game, pretending it's not.
It's catering to fans of 6. The previous game was more traditional and It'll roll back around to that at some point. RE likes to change genre's a little between each game.

I'm not a fan of this style of Resident Evil but it's certainly not terrible.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I really loved the aqua hunchback and factory stuff.. also less werewolves and more slow zombies roaming the village

nkarafo

You know what else is annoying? Having to explore two different paths or doors and the first one you choose triggers a cutscene that sends you away from the spot or even locks it away for the rest of the game. "Bad choice, you had to pick the other one first"!

Pretty sure i came across this a few times.

Final part of the game piss me off. Completely linear and doesn't let you explore. Basically, if you get to the factory, you can't go back to the main village. Only at the small area where the trader is and the bridge area. And it's even more infuriating that the small treasure chest i missed in the bridge area (and was waiting to unlock it after the factory) is gone. The table is there but the small chest that was on it has disappeared for no reason since you can still access the trader to sell whatever it contains. I get how you can miss stuff because you can't access some areas but why would a chess disappear from an area you still have access to? There is no explanation other than Capcom trolling everyone with ocd.

Yeah i know there is a new game+ but it's not like i really want to play the whole thing again.

Chris part was bad too. Reminded me of RE6, which was terrible.

SkylineRKR

They lock you out of collectibles every time, so if you forget the ball in the escape room mansion you can't go back for it either. Its a flaw that annoyed me straight away. I don't know why they did this. You can go to an optional expanded area underneath the castle but not into the castle itself. So you need to grab everything while you're there. Take the knife and you lost your chance.

And yeah escape room kinda sucks on second play since there is one way to solve it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Also, people getting upset over missing out on items in Village are in for a real treat if they ever decide to play Code Veronica, lol.

Pro-tip, keep the empty fire extinguisher, don't leave it in the security box.

You know what else is annoying? Having to explore two different paths or doors and the first one you choose triggers a cutscene that sends you away from the spot or even locks it away for the rest of the game. "Bad choice, you had to pick the other one first"!

Pretty sure i came across this a few times.

Final part of the game piss me off. Completely linear and doesn't let you explore. Basically, if you get to the factory, you can't go back to the main village. Only at the small area where the trader is and the bridge area. And it's even more infuriating that the small treasure chest i missed in the bridge area (and was waiting to unlock it after the factory) is gone. The table is there but the small chest that was on it has disappeared for no reason since you can still access the trader to sell whatever it contains. I get how you can miss stuff because you can't access some areas but why would a chess disappear from an area you still have access to? There is no explanation other than Capcom trolling everyone with ocd.

Yeah i know there is a new game+ but it's not like i really want to play the whole thing again.

Chris part was bad too. Reminded me of RE6, which was terrible.
Chris part was bad and unnecessary.
Anyway, I believe any RE game will be compared to RE2 remake which raised the bar high for the new entries

matty3092

I'm fairly certain there was changes made after the reveal cut content etc go watch the reveal again it seems like things were a bit different at that point in development atleast and then it was reworked.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
It IS a linear action game, pretending it's not.
It's catering to fans of 6. The previous game was more traditional and It'll roll back around to that at some point. RE likes to change genre's a little between each game.

I'm not a fan of this style of Resident Evil but it's certainly not terrible.
RE6 was fast paced as fuck and had a certain level of depth when it came to character movement. It is not catering to fans of 6 at all. The only all out action is when you play as Chris.

Fools idol

Banned
flawed, but marvellous. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Haven't much urge to revisit for a second run yet, but I will do some day.

It's your opinion. Metacritic and user score says otherwise.

Oh my god...

I do my reviews, I have my individual experience. Taste is not collective.

That shouldn't even be debated, how pathetic it is.
These guys just want money...

Last edited:
Top Bottom