• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 is great but has a huge design flaw (spoilers)

tassletine

RE6 was fast paced as fuck and had a certain level of depth when it came to character movement. It is not catering to fans of 6 at all. The only all out action is when you play as Chris.
Fair enough. I never liked 6 so didn't play much of it. I only said that because Village comes across as a sort of limp FPS, and they removed the puzzle element.

I do think village is fairly fast paced though, you spend a lot of the time running, and when you're not, you're shooting. There's almost no exploration.

My main point stands though. That they've always mixed it up. People are always complaining about how the new title it's not true RE, when there really isn't such a thing beyond the basic premise of going into a building, uncovering a secret and killing monsters.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Yeah I tried getting back to the burned up house at the start and was like wtf so when I got to the castle I made sure I checked every room.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Yeah I thought for sure Lady D was the main character of the game and you kill her first... like what the hell?

I'll be honest here, i thought the same and was equally as surprised. Capcom kind of showed her first and went with her in most of the marketing since she resonated so much with fans, so we kind of set ourselves up for it. I don't recall in any of their interviews where they said she was the main villain or anything like that.

nkarafo

Despite that, i do appreciate the end game content. Love the CP store and all the bonuses you get. The figures/3D model viewer is always a great thing to have. I love looking at the details. I wish all modern games had this.

niilokin

The castle was so friggin awesome... shame it wasn't used more in the game. shit, could have even make it go rampant with creatures after D dies and you would have to go repack ammo to go back and look for more treasure. kinda like how Luizas' field gets repopulated with more monsters and even the alpha werewolf after awhile. I really loved the variety in the game but as my inner doomguy was aroused it was hard to stop and I found myself out of ammo in boss battles quite often.

lol what the fuck started ng+ on hardcore and the survive the attack part is impossible. i got like no ammo left from miranda fight and all the enemies take 4-5 headshots from the most powerful pistol jesus christ and they zoom around so fast like motherfuckers stealing ps5s

Last edited:

Valt7786

Anyone who thinks RE is better in first person needs a goddamn slap! 7 and 8 are decent games in their own right, but 8 is the only one i've never played more than twice. Just doesn't have that replayable feel that RE2 Remake has and 3, to a lesser extent.
Also, chris section is fucking awful, worse than the boat in 7 and everytime i think "could play village again" i remember the chris bit and think, nah fuck that, back to Claire and Jill tyvm.

H4ze

Strange opinion to me, don't encounter a boss fight if you haven't found every item and you wish to do so? Seems like snowflake problems to me.

tommib

Worst new game I played this year, sorry, suck it up. Feels like a cheap Tim Burton licensed video game. All this crap about vampires and werewolves does not fit in with the Resident Evil universe. It takes control from the player every few hundred meters for endless first-person cutscenes. Inventory management is non-existent since you never need to think about it. Game is so easy you're never worried about anything. 0 horror. It's never scary or anxiety inducing. Music is barely there and never creates an atmosphere.

I pre-ordered and regretted so much paying full digital price for this Disney-fied Resident Evil. Also, 0 gore. Resident Evil 3 Remake is a masterpiece compared to it.

It doesn't have 1 design flaw, it's flawed from the get-go with all its disjointed areas and tones. It's a mess of a game with no clear vision.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The worst part in 8 was when you transitioned from ethan to chris

Remember all the strugle and journey you made to fight for your daughter

And then chris arived and mow down every enemy like paper it kinda diminish every achievement you did in a sense that all these creatures are more like an obstacles for chris

Excess

Just doesn't have that replayable feel that RE2 Remake has and 3, to a lesser extent.
RE2 provides the greatest incentive of replay value because of both Leon on Claire's separate stories. The others just cater to personal achievement.

niilokin

I liked the chris part, felt like dealing some retribution to the mutant fuckers, it was shit going back to ethan with one health potion and aro10 shotgun shells and 20 handgun ammo etc to deal with last boss...

niilokin

Worst new game I played this year, sorry, suck it up. Feels like a cheap Tim Burton licensed video game. All this crap about vampires and werewolves does not fit in with the Resident Evil universe. It takes control from the player every few hundred meters for endless first-person cutscenes. Inventory management is non-existent since you never need to think about it. Game is so easy you're never worried about anything. 0 horror. It's never scary or anxiety inducing. Music is barely there and never creates an atmosphere.

I pre-ordered and regretted so much paying full digital price for this Disney-fied Resident Evil. Also, 0 gore. Resident Evil 3 Remake is a masterpiece compared to it.

It doesn't have 1 design flaw, it's flawed from the get-go with all its disjointed areas and tones. It's a mess of a game with no clear vision.
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:almost choked on my coffee from laughter

Valt7786

RE2 provides the greatest incentive of replay value because of both Leon on Claire's separate stories. The others just cater to personal achievement.
Totally agree. I've platinum'd RE 2 and 3 and would happily play through and love every minute of it again. I just don't get that feeling with 7 or 8. They're just not the same.

Top Bottom