• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 8 Rumors

SuperGooey

hope its third person game .. i have no interest in a first person horror game at all ..
There will be more OTS RE games. The franchise is 90% ots third person at this point. I don't mind a break from it for some FP, but I'd much rather get a fixed-camera RE game again... :/

Reactions: RSB
I bet all the "occult" stuff turns out to just be hallucinations. I doubt they're going to full blown say spells and ghosts and witches exist in a universe that's been more grounded in science.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bet all the "occult" stuff turns out to just be hallucinations. I doubt they're going to full blown say spells and ghosts and witches exist in a universe that's been more grounded in science.

The presence of mind control sorta bugs me. I really like Resident Evil VII. If I start asking myself why this all happened, I sorta feel like they’re taking it to the looney bin.

RE8 in the outskirts of some remote tourist destination or small country side would be great. I liked the idea of that rumor from a couple weeks ago with the supposed cover (possibly bogus).

I thought the Bakers were terrifying. Lucas being the dummy, but Jack and Margaret were good. Then you start getting more of the story. I finished it in 2017 and now I’ve gone back to piece together some things.

The girl, Eveline, is a weapon. She has mind control, so she messed with the Baker’s heads. Blue Umbrella wants to shut it down at the end. So I’m still wondering was there ever a different strain of the virus?

I’d love to see witches and stuff, but they’re dealing with their typical coverup plot. I wonder how far this could go. The little girl stuff kinda throws it off because they add more than their typical bio terrorist weapon. Why does RE need mind control or psychic powers?

Last edited:
It's hard for me to describe but I feel like the OTS combat system they used was fine for Remake 2 for smaller, intimate encounters with few enemies. But it just didn't work in a more action focused title like Remake 3 even with the dodge roll.

If anything they should have done what Visceral did in Dead Space 2. Okay you added more enemies in encounters and increased the action. Well Isaac moves quicker now and moves quicker while aiming with faster animations. The devs even later admitted that if you weren't looking at an enemy then they wouldn't be running at you because of how the AI was programmed.

The presence of mind control sorta bugs me. I really like Resident Evil VII. If I start asking myself why this all happened, I sorta feel like they’re taking it to the looney bin.

RE8 in the outskirts of some remote tourist destination or small country side would be great. I liked the idea of that rumor from a couple weeks ago with the supposed cover (possibly bogus).

I thought the Bakers were terrifying. Lucas being the dummy, but Jack and Margaret were good. Then you start getting more of the story. I finished it in 2017 and now I’ve gone back to piece together some things.

The girl, Eveline, is a weapon. She has mind control, so she messed with the Baker’s heads. Blue Umbrella wants to shut it down at the end. So I’m still wondering was there ever a different strain of the virus?

I’d love to see witches and stuff, but they’re dealing with their typical coverup plot. I wonder how far this could go. The little girl stuff kinda throws it off because they add more than their typical bio terrorist weapon. Why does RE need mind control or psychic powers?
I read the mind control and psychic stuff was explained in a more grounded way in notes in-game, with plant pheromones and whatever. Supposedly it was not so much psychic powers as just other more natural explanations (?)

Last edited:
The only thing that worries me if any of these rumors are true, I feel like they are putting together ideas from the past. I loved the idea of Beta RE4 in that castle and hallucinations and ghosts and hook guy and even tho never mentioned then, even the werewolves would fit in that medieval style. But I was sure they were gonna go with RE7 ending and everything they said so far has nothing to do with it. It actually sounds like they scraped ideas from previous visions to put together RE8 and not sure if thats a good or bad thing. It sounds awesome, but no so much when u start hearing it was meant for another title etc. As if they lost their original vision.

I basically rate RE games by how much I replay them. 4 & 5 take the crown.

7 was great, but not the kind of thing that I want to replay. Became a chore by the end.

4 was the obvious best for a wide variety of reasons but I did love the co-op in 5. 6, while ok at times, was often a step too far into the action realm. 5 never approached Gears of War level action. 6 did that and made WWE style wrestling moves more powerful than your guns in parts of the game. It was just a weird mix of great and sub par ideas mixed together, but without the character of 4 or 5.

If it's anything like RE7, i'll be giving it a wide birth. Looked great on papaer but was just a massively disaapointing experience.

Not what i wanted from the series at all.

I just don’t think first person fits RE very well. It gives it that indie look from the likes of Outlast, SOMA or even Amnesia. RE is far bigger than that. And it needs to be longer than RE7 for example. I’m not paying 60$ for 7h game, sorry. Should be something closer to Resident Evil 4.

It seems like they want to transform this franchise into something like CoD or FIFA with yearly releases, short campaigns and not much of breaking new ground. I’m not against it per se but I’m not getting them day one either.

Arachnid

I just don’t think first person fits RE very well. It gives it that indie look from the likes of Outlast, SOMA or even Amnesia. RE is far bigger than that. And it needs to be longer than RE7 for example. I’m not paying 60$ for 7h game, sorry. Should be something closer to Resident Evil 4.

It seems like they want to transform this franchise into something like CoD or FIFA with yearly releases, short campaigns and not much of breaking new ground. I’m not against it per se but I’m not getting them day one either.
Agreed. The amount of people out there who justify RE as a 4-7 hr single player experience blow my mind.

"It's great for replay!"
"It's for speedrunners!"
"Scary games are better short!"

All equally stupid statements. Horror games should be just as long as any other single player (Non RPG) game. RE4 and Dead Space were perfect length horror games. This gen, Evil Within 2 and Alien Isolation were perfect and satisfying lengths. I get indie horror games like Amnesia being that long, but a AAA series like Resident Evil has no excuse.

Agreed. The amount of people out there who justify RE as a 4-7 hr single player experience blow my mind.

"It's great for replay!"
"It's for speedrunners!"
"Scary games are better short!"

All equally stupid statements. Horror games should be just as long as any other single player (Non RPG) game. RE4 and Dead Space were perfect length horror games. This gen, Evil Within 2 and Alien Isolation were perfect and satisfying lengths. I get indie horror games like Amnesia being that long, but a AAA series like Resident Evil has no excuse.
you know some people want a 4-7 hour campaign right? also kind of hard to actually keep someone scared that long, they'll usually turn into action games by the end.

Last edited:
This real?
aqi6B2o.jpg
god, i hope so. that looks stunning.

Arachnid

you know some people want a 4-7 hour campaign right? also kind of hard to actually keep someone scared that long, they'll usually turn into action games by the end.
Then that's on the game. Dead Space 1 was terrifying all the way through (and through the entire second title for that matter; of course DS2 isn't as scary as 1, but it still beats out any RE game). Alien Isolation was scary and tense through the entire experience (mostly due to the fantastic and unpredictable Xeno AI; I've got almost every achievement for that game and I still don't know how that thing works). Plus, not every horror game needs to be pant-shittingly scary all the way through. I wouldn't call Evil Within 2 scary (outside of a few standout sections), but it was at least a great and full experience packed to the brim with content.

What about RE3? NONE of that game was scary. RE4 had more horror and atmosphere to it than that game. I beat it in 4 and a half hours my first playthrough, which was on hardcore. There is no good excuse for a AAA game being that short, unless that game is launching for half the normal launch price to compensate (like the Dark Pictures Anthology titles).

Last edited:

SuperGooey

I beat it in 4 and a half hours my first playthrough, which was on hardcore. There is no good excuse for a AAA game being that short, unless that game is launching for half the normal launch price to compensate (like the Dark Pictures Anthology titles).
Unless the game is filled with alternate paths, endings, optional content, and extra game modes-- ala, the original RE3. Shorter games make for higher replayability, as long as the content is dense. RE3R completely fails in this regard.

I think it's clear that RE3R was a "filler" title that was mostly rushed out to quickly reuse RE2R assets, along with giving some incentive to buy REsistance, which NO ONE wanted. From the start, development of RE3R just seemed completely misguided. It was treated more like a game to fill the slot of a Revelations spin off.

I think RE8 will be the main course RE game, and based on all the rumors I'm hearing, I'm really excited. I just hope it has the Capcom/RE charm that RE7 was lacking. Horror, to me, isn't even close to the most important factor in a RE game. Strong characters/charm (RE3R nailed this), atmosphere, replayability, enemy variety and art direction are WAAAAY bigger factors for me.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

Arachnid

Unless the game is filled with alternate paths, endings, optional content, and extra game modes-- ala, the original RE3. Shorter games make for higher replayability, as long as the content is dense. RE3R completely fails in this regard.

I think it's clear that RE3R was a "filler" title that was mostly rushed out to quickly reuse RE2R assets, along with giving some incentive to buy REsistance, which NO ONE wanted. From the start, development of RE3R just seemed completely misguided. It was treated more like a game to fill the slot of a Revelations spin off.

I think RE8 will be the main course RE game, and based on all the rumors I'm hearing, I'm really excited. I just hope it has the Capcom/RE charm that RE7 was lacking. Horror, to me, isn't even close to the most important factor in a RE game. Strong characters/charm (RE3R nailed this), atmosphere, replayability, enemy variety and art direction are WAAAAY bigger factors for me.
Agreed. I have high hopes for RE8. I LOVE the rumors and it definitely sounds like they're taking some risks. RE7 was a fresh take, and the best they've put out in the series since 4 (for different reasons of course) IMO. The idea of werewolf BOWs sounds fantastic, as does the witch that turns into bugs (not sure what has people freaking out; this isn't much different than Marcus becoming a pile of leaches), Hopefully they bring in Jill this entry. She's been on hiatus too long.

I disagree about shorter being a plus though. I'd opt for a longer campaign with new and more varied experiences than replaying the same stretch of 4 hours. RE4 to this day is my most replayed game, and it's one of the longest in the series. It got to the point where I could speedrun it in 5-6 hours when I was a younger (I thought that was fantastic but HOLY SHIT at some of the times people have put out; just the other day, I read an article about someone who speedran it in around an hour and a half wtf). Replayability should come from unlockables, fantastic pacing, and varied content through the campaign; not from a short length. Plus, the large majority of people aren't going to be replaying. They'll give 1-2 runs max. The game shouldn't cater towards speedrunners.

Last edited:
Then that's on the game. Dead Space 1 was terrifying all the way through (and through the entire second title for that matter; of course DS2 isn't as scary as 1, but it still beats out any RE game). Alien Isolation was scary and tense through the entire experience (mostly due to the fantastic and unpredictable Xeno AI; I've got almost every achievement for that game and I still don't know how that thing works). Plus, not every horror game needs to be pant-shittingly scary all the way through. I wouldn't call Evil Within 2 scary (outside of a few standout sections), but it was at least a great and full experience packed to the brim with content.

What about RE3? NONE of that game was scary. RE4 had more horror and atmosphere to it than that game. I beat it in 4 and a half hours my first playthrough, which was on hardcore. There is no good excuse for a AAA game being that short, unless that game is launching for half the normal launch price to compensate (like the Dark Pictures Anthology titles).
Not every game needs to follow the same formula... The first dead space isn't "terrifying" during the last act just like RE4 and I'd give them both 5/5. Outlast for example becomes a chore once you catch onto it's short gameplay loop. All I'm saying is games can be short AF and $60, it's on the developer to make it worth it.

Arachnid

Not every game needs to follow the same formula... The first dead space isn't "terrifying" during the last act just like RE4 and I'd give them both 5/5. Outlast for example becomes a chore once you catch onto it's short gameplay loop. All I'm saying is games can be short AF and $60, it's on the developer to make it worth it.
Outlast 2 became a chore because the gameplay consisted of nothing but chases. I'm not saying anything about games needing to have the same gameplay loop as Dead Space (I disagree about DS being comparable to RE4 towards the end unless you're talking specifically about the very last chapter [out of 12] that took place on planet surface, and even then thats a stretch; Ishimura wrapped up with an encounter with the Hunter which is the scariest enemy in the game and the Nicole reveal) or RE4. This doesn't just apply to horror games. It applies to any game that sells itself at launch as a AAA 60 dollar game. That is not justifiable. I've never paid 60 dollars for a 4-6 hour experience and came away not feeling ripped off. The developer can make it worth it by actually expanding on and fleshing out the campaign to a more respectable length. We can agree to disagree, but I just can't see the sense in advocating for a shorter experience at that price point.

SuperGooey

Dusk Golem is as credible of a source as a drunken drugged up cunt in the alley.

Stop trying to make his inane bullshit as credible.
He's been hit or miss, but given how wonky the production of RE games have been over the recent years, it makes sense. I think he is mostly reliable, and I trust him about RE8. I guess we'll know soon.

ksdixon

i've come to the realisation/rememberance that all this talk of werewolves and witches will probably be a result of a virus poisoning; like Leon in RE3.5 with the hookman and posessed dolls.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Holy fuck...Revelations 3? I’m all in now. The fact that it’s in line with that direction but now they are making it RE8 is big news for me

I can’t wait to read more, and see some pictures or gamplay

Paracelsus

Leon again? He's gonna be in the RE4make.

REVIII will be REIV+IV.
Armored "zombies" were in the RE3.5 prototype, so were the hallucinations.

They gave people their mindless casual QTE shooter action for a while, time to fix that mistake with the remake of RE4 which is gonna tie directly with RE8 and play like RE2r.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Sorry, I'm completely lost now.
Half asleep.

RE8 first person RE7 gameplay, continuing the story of Evelyne = RE: village? Has that changed to Leon now instead, to reuse story beats from RE3.5 like infection hallucinations?

I thought "RE8" was supposed to be Ethan/Chris and witches/werewolves?

So we're gonna get Leon in RE8 and Leon in RE4make?

Arachnid

Leon is my favorite character in the series and I'll never get tired of his inclusion, but it seems weird to have him present in yet another village/castle scenario.

EDIT: It's Wegotthiscovered again? They're an unreliable source. That's also the second article from them I've seen that includes claims of RE4make being confirmed. It's not. It's still just a leak/rumor.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Leon is my favorite character in the series and I'll never get tired of his inclusion, but it seems weird to have him present in yet another village/castle scenario.

EDIT: It's Wegotthiscovered again? They're an unreliable source. That's also the second article from them I've seen that includes claims of RE4make being confirmed. It's not. It's still just a leak/rumor.

True
The old Leon legacy, I suppose

dan76

I think some of these leaks are getting mixed up. RE 8 is supposed to take place in a village / castle with armoured zombies? And now Leon is the main character - that's RE4 isn't it?

Capcom hasn't actually confirmed an RE4 REmake yet have they ( ?) so I have no idea what's going on. I think there is one game and it's either RE4 or 8. It can't be two separate games launching within a year of each other as they seem pretty much the same.

Btw, suprised to hear the love for the Revelations games, I thought they were kind of awful. The way the characters moved felt really off and aiming in Rev 1 was terrible. That whole having to scan the area for hidden items was jack.

D.Final

Banned
I think some of these leaks are getting mixed up. RE 8 is supposed to take place in a village / castle with armoured zombies? And now Leon is the main character - that's RE4 isn't it?

Capcom hasn't actually confirmed an RE4 REmake yet have they ( ?) so I have no idea what's going on. I think there is one game and it's either RE4 or 8. It can't be two separate games launching within a year of each other as they seem pretty much the same.

Btw, suprised to hear the love for the Revelations games, I thought they were kind of awful. The way the characters moved felt really off and aiming in Rev 1 was terrible. That whole having to scan the area for hidden items was jack.

Some true things mixed with actually auspicious or desire maybe

Kev Kev

re7 vr is scaring the bajesus out of me and ive already played through the game multiple times.

and its fantastic

really hoping re8 and 9 are designed for vr as well

Eanox

Armor and village. That’s Resident evil 4. Lol.
I think they are mixing remake 4 and 8.

It’s possible 8 will feature Leon again and Capcom wants to capitalize Leon’s popularity.
Re 2 R is outpacing ReVII. See datas below. I hope there will be 2 modes first person and third person and I hope they replicate what The evil within 2 did.

Resident Evil 7 (January 24, 2017)

>2.5 million units (as of January 27, 2017)
3.5 million units (as of March 31, 2017)
3.7 million units (as of June 30, 2017)
4.1 million units (as of September 30, 2017)
4.8 million units (as of December 31, 2017)

5.1 million units (as of March 31, 2018)
5.4 million units (as of June 30, 2018)
5.7 million units (as of September 30, 2018)
6.1 million units (as of December 31, 2018)

6.4 million units (as of March 31, 2019)
6.6 million units (as of June 30, 2019)
6.8 million units (as of September 30, 2019)
7.0 million units (as of December 31, 2019)

7.5 million units (as of March 31, 2020)

Resident Evil 2 (January 25, 2019)

3.0 million units (as of January 28, 2019)
4.0 million units (as of February 26, 2019)
4.2 million units (as of March 31, 2019)
4.5 million units (as of June 30, 2019)
4.7 million units (as of September 30, 2019)
>5 million units (as of December 4, 2019)
5.8 million units (as of December 31, 2019)

6.6 million units (as of March 31, 2020)

Resident Evil 3 (April 3, 2020)

>2 million units (as of April 7, 2020)
>2.5 million units (as of early May 2020)

ksdixon

That's what I was meaning,

I'm getting confused between RE4make and now RE8/RE (VIII) VI_I_I_AGE.

"Village" makes it sound like the beginning of RE4.

"Witches and werewolves" make you think of being infected and having hallucinations like Leon in RE3.5 with the haunted dolls.

Last thing I knew for certain was that original RE8 rumors were saying it was first person, continued the storyline of Evelyne and the moulded, and starred Ethan with Chris as a supporting role/cameo? But that is now looong outdated.

Top Bottom