• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Golnei

why is this so hard to repeat
tumblr_ojou4mzmCc1w1qchqo1_400.gif

Maybe Chris' final character model in all official media should have oversight from a committee of SFM artists.

Dino Crisis is still the only franchise from capcom I think can fit within the RE universe if it was rebooted. With all of the craziness the virus can cause, especially in size for the BOWs. I don't think cloning dinosaurs or dinosaurs based from a virus would be a stretch. Hell we already saw a small case of it in RE6.
And that part of RE6 was almost universally reviled. Even if it's technically possible in-universe, it doesn't match the tone. It could work as part of a bonus mode, but unique enemies that don't get used in the main game would be difficult to justify from an asset creation perspective. Maybe a hypothetical future action RE could include it as the focus of DLC along with a playable Regina, but I'm not sure if the cost/profit ratio would be as attractive for that as more orthodox costume DLC.

Golnei

Fuck me, but for me, Chris' model in 7 is ten times better than 5 and 6.

I was talking more about Vendetta and MVCI, which attempt to follow on from his 5/6 appearance with questionable execution. I'm not as much of a fan of the direction they took for the 7 design creatively, but the model itself is fine.

Looks like RCS is back to voice chris in MVC:I, which makes him being ditched for RE7 and Vendetta even more odd. Guessing it was either capcom not wanting to get him for those two projects, or they're just reusing MVC3 VA and it's easier to just pay him again than rerecord new stuff.

Vendetta is probably just the movie localisation company using their own group of VA's, RCS not being one.

RE7 I still don't believe is Chris, the tweets etc about him I believe part of the ruse.

Jawmuncher

Maybe Chris' final character model in all official media should have oversight from a committee of SFM artists.

And that part of RE6 was almost universally reviled. Even if it's technically possible in-universe, it doesn't match the tone. It could work as part of a bonus mode, but unique enemies that don't get used in the main game would be difficult to justify from an asset creation perspective. Maybe a hypothetical future action RE could include it as the focus of DLC along with a playable Regina, but I'm not sure if the cost/profit ratio would be as attractive for that as more orthodox costume DLC.

If capcom ever decided to shove another franchise to make some sort of extended universe. It'd still at the end make more sense than dead Rising I say.

We do have feareffectinferno on the boards now, so the idea of some fan modelers doing the work isn't even a big stretch to me considering the quality they put out.

Fuck me, but for me, Chris' model in 7 is ten times better than 5 and 6.

If we were coming off REmake and this was his new look, I'd be more ok with it. But considering we have a solid look from RE5, Rev 1, RE6 and a lot of bonus things in between the shift in RE7 is odd mainly with the face. I can understand lowering the muscles.

Vendetta is probably just the movie localisation company using their own group of VA's, RCS not being one.

RE7 I still don't believe is Chris, the tweets etc about him I believe part of the ruse.

That makes sense. Odd they'd get the va for Leon though. Would be interesting if there is really a twist, but we'll see.

We gonna see weapon x nemesis in the story?

What?

Neiteio

I loved RE7 (played through it three times in a row), and the new Chris looks good, but I don't see why they felt compelled to change his appearance. RE5 Chris is well-established at this point, and he has the same sort of stylized realism that RE7 uses. He fits right in, so why change him?

Mr_Zombie

If we were coming off REmake and this was his new look, I'd be more ok with it.

Nah, he would still look off. The problem with RE7 Chris isn't that he doesn't look like RE5/6 Chris; it's that he doesn't look like any iteration of Chris from the past games. Even in older games Chris had black/dark brown thick hair, while the RE7 Chris is a blonde with thin hair. It's like Capcom didn't care at all and hired any random (handsome, I admit that) model and called it a day. When your long time fans can't recognize the character, you know you have a problem.

RE characters often changed their looks. Was it due to technology upgrades (switching from live action to early CGI, to early 3d models, to more advanced CGI and 3d polygons etc.), artstyle changes, or just getting a brand new design. But they always had that one or two iconic elements in their look that helped them still be recognizable. RE7 Chris though? Looks like a brand new character.

RSB

Banned

So good. The stylized look of the characters in previous games was just perfect.

A shame they decided to go for that boring realistic look with RE7. I hope future games (especially the RE2 Remake) go back to the more stylized look.

June, delay?

I wonder how a Dead Rising Resident Evil crossover would work.

By sucking, probably. I don't see those two jiving too well
Honestly Dead Rising as a parody essentially should reference Resident Evil a good amount.
Umbrella
BSAA
unlockable BSAA, RPD, STARS, etc costumes(for stuff like killing a certain number of zombies and so on).

Jawmuncher

RE7 3.5 million out of 4
RE6 remaster 1 million in sales

200.gif

Feels good man. Should hammer home to capcom that we need both styles going forward. RE is a big franchise now and making it just horror or just action ain't the right thing to do.

Gradon

RE7 3.5 million out of 4

I'm honestly surprised.
Whilst I really enjoyed RE6, the terrible word of mouth surrounding this game has plagued a lot of interest people had in it. Anecdotally, everyone I know who plays games says is garbage and trash without ever trying it.

Jawmuncher

I'm honestly surprised.
Whilst I really enjoyed RE6, the terrible word of mouth surrounding this game has plagued a lot of interest people had in it. Anecdotally, everyone I know who plays games says is garbage and trash without ever trying it.

There definitely seems to be a silent majority of sorts.
There's also Asia which apparently prefers the action style. Going by reports of capcom wanting to strengthen efforts there.

OniBaka

I'm honestly surprised.
I rarely listen to word of mouth and looking at game play footage had me really hyped and enjoyed the shit out of the game. My friends who don't really read forums also enjoyed it a lot in coop.

I still don't understand the hate it got.

Neiteio

I adore RE7, but I also adore action RE. Would like to see both going forward...

...but if I had to choose, I'd probably pick an RE6-II. Seriously, just refine the masterful mechanics and create some well-paced campaigns around them.

It'd be the greatest game ever, right there.

finley83

Banned
Yeah. Fix the annoying stamina meter, add a proper tutorial and build the campaign around the strengths of the combat and you've got the greatest action game of all time.

I've put hundreds of hours into Mercs in RE6, unlocked all the alternative skins (even the retro RE.net ones that took literally months) yet finished only the Ada campaign (and that was only to unlock a Mercs character!)

I'd be happy if they just built a new campaign using existing RE6 assets, to be honest it still looks great today on PC.

Man, I finally have a great paying job and one of the first things I wanted to buy was one of the Resident Evil replica watches.
Now I can't find a single one even on Ebay.

I rarely listen to word of mouth and looking at game play footage had me really hyped and enjoyed the shit out of the game. My friends who don't really read forums also enjoyed it a lot in coop.

I still don't understand the hate it got.

Well patches fixed a bunch of things.

Chapters were 40-60 minute slogs originally, they added sub-chapter starts, camera placement improvements, auto QTEs, changes to some QTEs (though the climbing change wasn't needed imo).

The game launched with only 3 Merc maps, the rest pre-order bonuses and pay DLC, the shitty RE.net requirements for unlocks that were drip fed over a year. Some bosses were boring bullet sponges. Poor unlockables, no alt outfits in campaign.

The competitive modes were and still are broken shit, and were also pay DLC.

The crap vehicle sections etc.

The co-op was crap compared to RE5.

It deserved most of the flak it got.

OniBaka

I played it at launch and didn't mind the camera, though the changes were really nice when I tried them out on remaster.

Think my only issue was the vehicle section with Chris and Ada's dumb QTE events. QTE events didn't really bother me other than Ada's.

Not saying the game was perfect, just thought the hate was exaggerated.

Fuuuuuuuck that went full John Wick.

RE7 3.5 million out of 4

200.gif

Feels good man. Should hammer home to capcom that we need both styles going forward. RE is a big franchise now and making it just horror or just action ain't the right thing to do.

That would make RE 5 top out at around 8.2 million copies sold and RE 6 at around 7.8 million copies. Revelations 2 also made it to 2.1 million copies sold. They are leaving so much money on the table by stopping Action RE and Revelations. And no, Fucking Umbrella Corps doesn't count.

Jawmuncher

Fuuuuuuuck that went full John Wick.

That would make RE 5 top out at around 8.2 million copies sold and RE 6 at around 7.8 million copies. Revelations 2 also made it to 2.1 million copies sold. They are leaving so much money on the table by stopping Action RE and Revelations. And no, Fucking Umbrella Corps doesn't count.

I still think at least RE4/5 style fans will see something soon. Since they can balance that style a bit better. I doubt we see RE6 style mechanics for awhile. Not until Jake is back in the lead.

At this point, I don't see a way Capcom doesn't go back to Action RE.

RE 4 - at least 6 million
RE 5 - 8.2 million (7.2 OG, ~1 HD)
RE 6 - 7.8 million (6.8 OG, 1 HD)
RE 7 - 3.5 million (undersold by 500K), probably ending up at around 5/5.5 million lifetime unless it has really good legs

They could start by making that stand alone Mercs game already.

Capcom: "Nah, that makes too much sense"

DON'T GET ME STARTED...

Edit: Fuck, you got me started!

It fits everything they want to do with "Games as a service!"! Base game draws people in; DLC packs containing characters, weapons, maps, skins, etc keep revenue flowing; weekly events keep players coming back for more; add new modes once a year for a fee; maybe have a episodic story mode reusing assets to bring story people in; leaderboards for competitive play... IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! Fuck, Revelations 2 Raid Mode was already a small scale version of this! The design document writes itself! Knowing Capcom, they could sneak in even more microtransactions than I listed!

But no, instead we get Umbrella Corps.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Why do people keep acting as if the Raccoon City games share a bunch of assets? It's always brought up, like, "Oh, well, they could just remake 3, they're already halfway there!".

Today I saw someone say that once they remade 2 they could easily make the Outbreak games since they "share so many assets". I can't even

But no, instead we get Umbrella Corps.
Hey, Umbrella Corps. is fun. Janky, but fun.

Why do people keep acting as if the Raccoon City games share a bunch of assets? It's always brought up, like, "Oh, well, they could just remake 3, they're already halfway there!".

Today I saw someone say that once they remade 2 they could easily make the Outbreak games since they "share so many assets". I can't even

General ignorance from fans who got in at 4 or after, general ignorance about development, or people place just misremembering 2 and 3.

But it's no Mercenaries stand alone on consoles (I personally didn't like what little I played)...

Mr_Zombie

Today I saw someone say that once they remade 2 they could easily make the Outbreak games since they "share so many assets". I can't even.

What, don't you know that a bunch of rooms and models (herbs, a couple of items, maybe Cerberus' and crow's models) is "half the game"?

But it's not a game people were expecting to celebrate the series' 20th anniversary :(

Today I saw someone say that once they remade 2 they could easily make the Outbreak games since they "share so many assets". I can't even.

I almost start to wonder if half the people who say that have even played RE3 or the Outbreak games. Like, maybe 20% of RE3 is spent in Raccoon City streets and Police Station tops.

If you were referring to me,
I said once they REmake 2 and then eventually 3(please god!) they should reuse all of those assets to make a rebooted Outbreak.

though I know i'd get hate because i'd also change Outbreak up a bit.
I'd make it a bit of an open world or hub world and then a key area would be an "instance" which would be more of the classic style.

Why do people keep acting as if the Raccoon City games share a bunch of assets?
Because a bunch of them do?

RE2/3
Outbreak/Outbreak 2
Outbreak/Outbreak 2/Umbrella Chronicles
Outbreak 2/Darkside (or Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside depending how wanna look at it.
REmake/RE0/Umbrella Chronicles

They not straight asset flips but they get recycled.

Mr_Zombie

Because a bunch of them do?

RE2/3
Outbreak/Outbreak 2
Outbreak/Outbreak 2/Umbrella Chronicles
Outbreak 2/Darkside (or Umbrella Chronicles/Darkside depending how wanna look at it.
REmake/RE0/Umbrella Chronicles

They not straight asset flips but they get recycled.

I think Zero-ELEC doesn't deny that those games share some assets, just that they don't (with some exceptions, mentioned below) share a lot of them to the point that if you have a remake of RE2 done, you almost have a remake of RE3 too.

Outbreak and Outbreak 2 share a lot of assets, because - as I recall - scenarios from File2 were meant to be originally included in the first game, so the base of both games is identical.

Umbrella Chronicles was a low-budget game, where the whole RE3 scenario was butchered and was practically a ride through Outbreak levels.

RE2 and RE3, as I mentioned in the post above, share a couple of RPD rooms and some 3d models of items/enemeis that appear in both games. That's a really small percentage of things you see/hear in the game.

Darksiders Chronicles, I believe, were all new assets. Capcom clearly went more higher budget with this game and it's presentation.

Gradon

A remake of RE2 would get you two scenarios of Outbreaks done and some of the start of RE3. Other than that, not much else? A lot would have to be remade.

Wagram

Just finished VII. Definitely the direction I would like to see the series take, but it wasn't without its faults. Not a super scary experience or anything, but certainly more so than anything in 4-6.

If
Chris hadn't said his name I honestly wouldn't have even known it was him. That model is completely different.

Some revisionist history going on here:

RE6 - 4.9 million 6 months, after a holiday season. Was noted by Capcom to be a financial disappointment and bad reception from the fanbase. RE6 had legs sure, after being heavily discounted and the HD remaster was sold at a low price as well.

RE7 - 3.5 million in 3 months., made profit day one and had a largely positive reception.

Comparing LTD data of games that have been on sale for over 5 years, heavily discounted, had rereleases and on twice the number of platforms is misleading.

Jawmuncher

Some revisionist history going on here:

RE6 - 4.9 million 6 months, after a holiday season. Was noted by Capcom to be a financial disappointment and bad reception from the fanbase. RE6 had legs sure, after being heavily discounted and the HD remaster was sold at a low price as well.

RE7 - 3.5 million in 3 months., made profit day one and had a largely positive reception.

Comparing LTD data of games that have been on sale for over 5 years, heavily discounted, had rereleases and on twice the number of platforms is misleading.

The fact is they're still selling. There is still interest in action RE just like there is horror. No one in here has said it's one or the other. The fact that a game and style with such a "bad reception" as you put it can sell another million shows that. There's fans of that style still and plenty of people who would like more of that.

I haven't read one comment on this page saying anything negatively about RE7 outside personal preference. It's not like anyone here went "I hope RE7 fails and everything is action".

Edit: also where is the revisionist history you claim? Total sales are total sales. None of these posts claim RE6 was a huge success at launch in here. It'd only be misleading if we were in here going "Wow RE7 couldnt even sell 7 million its first 3 months".

The fact is they're still selling. There is still interest in action RE just like there is horror. No one in here has said it's one or the other. The fact that a game and style with such a "bad reception" as you put it can sell another million shows that. There's fans of that style still and plenty of people who would like more of that.

I haven't read one comment on this page saying anything negatively about RE7 outside personal preference. It's not like anyone here went "I hope RE7 fails and everything is action".

Edit: also where is the revisionist history you claim? Total sales are total sales. None of these posts claim RE6 was a huge success at launch in here. It'd only be misleading if we were in here going "Wow RE7 couldnt even sell 7 million its first 3 months".

RE HD is still selling. Having these titles on current gen, possibly available to those who have never tried it in previous gens, helps a lot of these older titles achieve sales.

The revisionist history is acting like Capcom wants a repeat of RE6, where they lost money despite shipping 4+ million and they themselves feeling it hurt the brand. I do prefer TP RE but RE6 is the worst TP RE there is and I'm glad Capcom knows that.

Jawmuncher

RE HD is still selling. Having these titles on current gen, possibly available to those who have never tried it in previous gens, helps a lot of these older titles achieve sales.

The revisionist history is acting like Capcom wants a repeat of RE6, where they lost money despite shipping 4+ million and they themselves feeling it hurt the brand. I do prefer TP RE but RE6 is the worst TP RE there is and I'm glad Capcom knows that.

I won't disagree with that. It's good that everyone is being given options to play the games from the entire series catalog.

I don't think anyone really expects a Full On RE6 mega blockbuster with expectations of 6 million again. While RE6 didn't do what capcom wanted to, they have revongnized that style or at least the style of 4-6 is still something people want. I'd argue that the Revelation games don't fill that hole.

My whole stance is that between the sales of RE7 and the rereleases of older titles. It shows that capcoms best interest going forward is offering something for everyone in their own games. Kinda goes back to the ideas people had of RE8 following the trends of 7, RE2make sticking to classic, and a new subseries picking up where the action left off.

I won't disagree with that. It's good that everyone is being given options to play the games from the entire series catalog.

I don't think anyone really expects a Full On RE6 mega blockbuster with expectations of 6 million again. While RE6 didn't do what capcom wanted to, they have revongnized that style or at least the style of 4-6 is still something people want. I'd argue that the Revelation games don't fill that hole.

My whole stance is that between the sales of RE7 and the rereleases of older titles. It shows that capcoms best interest going forward is offering something for everyone in their own games. Kinda goes back to the ideas people had of RE8 following the trends of 7, RE2make sticking to classic, and a new subseries picking up where the action left off.

Agreed, though I don't think RER was ever designed to fill such a hole: it was just a successful spin off series.

To be honest, much of the love RE7 gets has nothing to do with it being FPS, rather it focusing on horror, puzzles and good level design. Capcom can satisfy both crowds, they've done it before with RE4. The only big advantage FPS gave was VR but its a small audience.

Jawmuncher

Agreed, though I don't think RER was ever designed to fill such a hole: it was just a successful spin off series.

To be honest, much of the love RE7 gets has nothing to do with it being FPS, rather it focusing on horror, puzzles and good level design. Capcom can satisfy both crowds, they've done it before with RE4. The only big advantage FPS gave was VR but its a small audience.

It would be interesting to see them take the ideas of RE7 and take them out of the first person setting and back into third person. Like you said very similar to what RE4 did, but it would still stand pretty uniquely on its own. I agree about the VR. If you want that, incorporate it without forcing First Person.

RE6 wouldn't have lost money​, it would of just underperformed. A game of that budget and marketing is expected to have bigger returns than it likely did.

No one is saying that they'll repeat RE 6, but will probably go for an RE 4/5 type game for RE 8 and spin off the FPS mechanics.

Openings:

Resident Evil 5 - 4.9 million first two months (4.4 month 1, 500K month 2)

Resident Evil 6 - 4.9 million first three months (lower sales opening months attributed to critical reception)

Resident Evil 7 - 3.5 million first three months

It's not hard to forecast that RE 7 won't catch up, and Capcom probably isn't the happiest with coming in 500K under plan (though Dead Rising 4 coming in a million plus under planning to the point of not even selling a million probably ensures that franchise is dead). So it wouldn't surprise me if RE 8 was yet another shift.

Honestly this past sales report was generally bad news for Capcom with everything underselling to a degree with one of their biggest franchises, Dead Rising, utterly flopping. Capcom already aimed low for RE 7 with 4 million expected sales and still missed by 500K.

Top Bottom