• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Manu

RE has a pretty horrible fanbase.

RE has a pretty great fanbase. I'd argue the people who haven't given a crap about the series since RE4, take every chance they can to call "new" RE shit, and are constantly pushing for a reboot aren't really fans.

ShadowLag

Resident Evil is "cozy" to me. It's the only series I find myself feeling truly at home with, if that makes any sense - along with Zelda :D

RE has a pretty great fanbase. I'd argue the people who haven't given a crap about the series since RE4, take every chance they can to call "new" RE shit, and are constantly pushing for a reboot aren't really fans.

And I guess they would argue that the people who like those shooty shooty bang bang games that took a massive dump on the franchise they loved aren't really fans either.

Jawmuncher

Resident Evil is "cozy" to me. It's the only series I find myself feeling truly at home with, if that makes any sense - along with Zelda :D

I can understand that. If I ever end up cutting back on games. Resident Evil along with Metal Gear would be the series I would still end up always making time for. Hell even now they're the two series that I go out of my way for. I want to add Dino Crisis to that, but you know capcom has to make a new game first.

Manu

And I guess they would argue that the people who like those shooty shooty bang bang games that took a massive dump on the franchise they loved aren't really fans either.

Yeah, that's usually how arguments start.

But, I mean, can you really call yourself a fan of something if you only enjoyed the first classic era, which was so long ago there's more "bad" than good at this point?

I absolutely love classic Simpsons but I wouldn't call myself a Simpsons fan because there's been almost 20 terrible seasons by now.

Yeah, that's usually how arguments start.

But, I mean, can you really call yourself a fan of something if you only enjoyed the first classic era, which was so long ago there's more "bad" than good at this point?

I absolutely love classic Simpsons but I wouldn't call myself a Simpsons fan because there's been almost 20 terrible seasons by now.

Well I just don't see how you can say we are not fans because we like the older games more?

With RE 4 being this weird middle ground that everyone seems to like there have only been two games us so called "not really fans" haven't really liked (at least main line games) so I guess with your simpsons analogy I would still argue, the majority of the series I like, the last couple have been poor but hopefully they turn it around.

Alfredo

I will continue to love Resident Evil as long as the series continues to have gross-looking monsters and disgusting body horror. I think that's what I really come to the series for.

Reebot

The first shooty shooty bang bang game that was popular came out in 2005.

That's nine years after Resident Evil 1 in 1996.

2005 was 11 years ago.

Its been an action franchise longer than a horror one now.

Neiteio

I'm currently playing through REmake and replaying RE5, and I was just thinking the same thing — how no matter the differences in style (i.e. survival horror vs. action horror), the series as a whole always feels "cozy" to me.

I think it's the combination of great gameplay and design (whichever style you choose) and a cast of lovable characters who are extremely capable in horrifying situations, and who overcome cool-looking creatures in atmospheric environments. You feel "safe" with these characters, even if the overall situation feels dangerous. That makes the experience more like a rollercoaster ride, where you can feel scared or panicked but still have fun.

And the overall lore plays it straight despite the innate silliness of it all. That, along with the way characters appear in multiple installments and allow you to watch them grow, turns RE into something of a soap opera.

It's great!

The first shooty shooty bang bang game that was popular came out in 2005.

That's nine years after Resident Evil 1 in 1996.

2005 was 11 years ago.

Its been an action franchise longer than a horror one now.

My point was more that I don't think its fair to say that people who champion the original RE style aren't fans.

Jawmuncher

I will continue to love Resident Evil as long as the series continues to have gross-looking monsters and disgusting body horror. I think that's what I really come to the series for.

My main likes for Resident Evil was always the Biological warfare aspect to it. Specifically with the BOWs. Just like the idea of serums making monsters, giving people powers, and people having to survive or put a stop to those things with their normal means. I'll always be sad how ORC took the idea I had wanted for years, and at best made a OK product.

That's not what I said. I like the older games more too.

I meant a very specific and vocal subset of the fanbase.

Thats fair enough, I'm not someone who would go out of my way to shit on the newer games.

I've even said before I think RE should just stay what it is now, just wish Capcom (or anyone) would make a new game with that old school RE style.

Manu

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the thread.

I've just had so many dumb arguments regarding the series over the years I have a lot to vent, heh.

Reebot

My point was more that I don't think its fair to say that people who champion the original RE style aren't fans.

Fair enough; its definitely the "original" style as opposed to the "expected" or "normal" style by this point.

For as much as I dislike 6, I was really bothered by the number of reviews critiquing the lack of horror (specifically in Chris' campaign), as if that's still mandatory in a franchise now a decade removed from that genre.

Wasn't that Dino Stalker?

I think he means Dead Aim, but that can't be right since Dead Aim is awesome.

Neiteio

My main likes for Resident Evil was always the Biological warfare aspect to it. Specifically with the BOWs. Just like the idea of serums making monsters, giving people powers, and people having to survive or put a stop to those things with their normal means. I'll always be sad how ORC took the idea I had wanted for years, and at best made a OK product.
I think they should make a game called RESIDENT EVIL: WAR ON TERROR that is essentially a two-in-one Mercs and Raid game. You choose your mode, you choose from any character in franchise history, and you test your skills in maps from across the series. And for Raid, there would be levels like "Ghost Ship" in RER1 Raid, with sprawling maze-like environments where you choose your own path and there are multiple exits, but only one true exit that leads to the final boss. Imagine going through an expanded version of the REmake Spencer Estate in this fashion!

Jawmuncher

Wasn't that Dino Stalker?

No Gun Survivor was the port of the Resident Evil Arcade game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_Survivor_2_Code:_Veronica

Never played the home version since it didn't come to NA. But I beat the actual arcade unit in co-op and had a blast. One of my best arcade moments. Was top of the leaderboard as well. It didn't make much sense, but it was fun in a fan-service kind of way.

I think they should make a game called RESIDENT EVIL: WAR ON TERROR that is essentially a two-in-one Mercs and Raid game. You choose your mode, you choose from any character in franchise history, and you test your skills in maps from across the series. And for Raid, there would be levels like "Ghost Ship" in RER1 Raid, with sprawling maze-like environments where you choose your own path and there are multiple exits, but only one true exit that leads to the final boss. Imagine going through an expanded version of the REmake Spencer Estate in this fashion!

Yep. I still hope for the day we get a full-fledged mercs/raid game. Was hoping Mercs 3D was a prelude to it when it first came out. Shame it was released before the CPP. Would have been amazing to go back to now with another analog stick.

Reebot

What kind of community is this? :)P)

Survivor - Ark Thompson and Vince Goldman
Survivor 2 - Claire Redfield dreaming of Nemesis on the way to Antarctica
Survivor 3 - Dino Crisis Not-3
Survivor 4 - Dead AIm

Whaaaaaaaat

How did I miss this, sounds like its Darkside Chronicles a decade early.

Even though I strongly prefer the older games in the series, I'll always keep buying the new ones and playing them (albeit probably discounted in a sale), so long as they keep bringing back all these characters that I've grown attached to since the 90s. I feel obligated to follow their continuing journey, and see it through.

Which is why I am utterly baffled every time someone calls for a reboot. Replacing all those characters (at this point the main reason I'm still even buying the mainline games anymore) with lookalikes with new backstories would instantly kill any interest I had in the series. Reboot Chris and Reboot Jill would not be the same characters I've grown so fond of all these years.

I want Capcom to keep going where they've been going with the series. They now have games in the series for everyone. If you want shootbang, you can get that. If you want something slower and scarier, you can get that. I may not enjoy an action RE7 as much as I enjoyed RE1 or RE2, but there's always the Revelations subseries along with classic remakes for me to look forward to. Assuming they keep making them, of course.

Oh hi, I don't usually post in community threads but Resident Evil (along with Silent Hill and Tomb Raider but those are different stories) are video game equivalents of comfort food for me. Maybe this would be a nice one to start with.

I'm a fan of the whole series (the ones that I've played at least) and don't really hate any of the games. My enjoyment of the games ranges heavily based on the cast honestly. My personal favorite series characters are Chris, Jill, Ada, Billy, Helena, and Sheva. Hopefully some of those are in RE7 or even better yet we get some fab new characters.

Revisiting and finishing RE0 for the first time ever has really put me in a mood for the series. I'll probably be revisiting the rest of the series short of the survivor titles and Gaiden because I'm a flop and don't own/have access to those. I started a replay of REmake but completely forgot about the one dangerous zombie mode and got messed up without a save so I need to begin again.

Seyavesh

Real talk: Is "Ark Thompson" the greatest name for a Resident Evil character ever?
i dunno, quint cetcham is a pretty good name even if it's attached to a kinda awful character

also it doesn't matter what versions of the game a person likes, it's fine if they only like the oldschool ones or the action ones or whatever but i don't think they'll ever understand that being a prick doesn't really make any argument convincing or do them any favors in not seeming like a tool

edit:
also also chris's best look is secretly re5 hair on re6 design
RccvLod.jpg

ShadowLag

I'm currently playing through REmake and replaying RE5, and I was just thinking the same thing — how no matter the differences in style (i.e. survival horror vs. action horror), the series as a whole always feels "cozy" to me.

I think it's the combination of great gameplay and design (whichever style you choose) and a cast of lovable characters who are extremely capable in horrifying situations, and who overcome cool-looking creatures in atmospheric environments. You feel "safe" with these characters, even if the overall situation feels dangerous. That makes the experience more like a rollercoaster ride, where you can feel scared or panicked but still have fun.

And the overall lore plays it straight despite the innate silliness of it all. That, along with the way characters appear in multiple installments and allow you to watch them grow, turns RE into something of a soap opera.

It's great!

All of this, plus I tend to vividly remember the times in my life when I first played each game, and it was always such a great time, even if everything around me wasn't the greatest, the experience of playing the newest RE just made everything go away.

Also, dat music:
REmake save room best music of all time
REmake neptune tank, spooky yet inviting

Rean

Since we're talking Nemesis (The Best RE BOW). I always found it odd how his talk was never consistent.

RE3 Source Used
Resident Evil 3
Gun Survivor 2
Under the Skin
ORC

New VA
Resident Evil Apocalypse
UMVC3
Umbrella Chronicles

Umbrella Chronicles is hands down the worst. Sounds like a robot.
That Marvel 3 one sounds horrible too.
edit:
also also chris's best look is secretly re5 hair on re6 design
I always liked Chris' RE5 look the most. Seeing that RE6 look makes me wish they didn't change his back back too.

Neiteio

Chris' hair looks amazing in RE5. Maybe I'm not observant enough, but I don't recall seeing that "tousled hair" look in many videogame protags today.

Zambatoh

I suppose after a couple dozen walkthroughs, atmosphere and mood would mean fuck-all to the average player.

Nemesis_

More like bland and generic!

Half of the atmosphere comes from the filters and colors they selected.

Game looks fine the way it is.

I agree, it gave it that kind of gritty neo noire kind of man on fire look that made you feel like you were there.

Reebot

More like bland and generic!

Half of the atmosphere comes from the filters and colors they selected.

Game looks fine the way it is.

As a whole it looks better as released, but some areas really benefit from the introduction of color.

Especially that early walk through the sewers, just before the flying BOWs

Seyavesh

i actually really like how colorful the game is without the filter- especially in the first third within the village. a lot of the enemies have really nice and vibrant colors to them that are lost with the filter which is a shame because the era re5 was released in was sorely lacking in 'em

Lunafreya

I'll join this community, since I never got a chance to join the original!

I've played every single mainline Resident Evil and I personally can't say I dislike any of them.

I think the weakest ones are RE0 and RE6 though, and RE6 didn't feel like Resident Evil to me, but that's just how I see it. I do enjoy it though as a game of its own!

as for the spin-offs, I think I've played most of them.

I want my favorite RE character, Jill to be one of the stars in RE7.

Also REmake 2 footage and RE7 announcement trailers when!!

Mr_Zombie

I come off as hating the Rev games more than I do. Their decent titles, just to me not the quality I want to see I guess.

I wonder how Revelations games (especially 2) would come if they had bigger budget. Revelations 2 has some nice ideas, but you can see all the cuts they did, all the resources (items, environment objects, animations) taken straight from previous games etc. The biggest thing, I think, is that neither Revelations 1 nor 2 has a satisfying combat due to poor enemies' animations and hit detection.

Is this sarcasm or are you straight up taking the piss out of Outbreak fans?

I think he was serious. Outbreak did fell like a game way ahead of its times. Online-focused game on a system with a really poor network infrastructure (Outbreak File#1 didn't even have an online option in Europe)? C'mon! Imagine the game being released (or a similar, scenario-based game being released) nowadays, when you have PSN, XBL and Steam with their communities.

But no, instead Capcom released one online cover-shooter is now planning to release another budget online shooter. :/

Should
Chris
have died instead of
Piers
? Yes.

Yes. From the very start Piers was being set up as a young Chris and it seemed obvious that he would eventually replace him. But sadly, Capcom didn't have the guts to kill one of the series' main character and this would be a perfect opportunity to finally do so. It's been 20 years now and no important character (bar Wesker, but he's a villain) died in that time.

Resident Evil threads always have the uncanny knack for making me feel like an extreme outlier. Is it always so cut and dry with the polarized bases?

Nah a lot of us just grew up and moved on. Still play the old ones every once in a while.

Seyavesh

Resident Evil threads always have the uncanny knack for making me feel like an extreme outlier. Is it always so cut and dry with the polarized bases?

i don't think there's a lot of folks who don't like the old ones but like the new ones tbh- i'd imagine most fans like most of the games regardless of style.

like, i've rarely seen anyone who really champions the action focused REs strictly over REmake or the old ones. on the other hand, there's always a huge catfight that flares up when folks who only enjoy the older style REs do the usual internet thing of being really abrasive about their tastes. i guess it can't be helped given the huge fanbase and wildly differing genres of the games but the circular and toxic nature of those kinda fights makes RE threads quite tiresome.

i kinda get the feeling RE2 remake will just flare up the fights even more, unfortunately. folks who thrive on hate are never satisfied, haha

speaking of which, do any of ya'll think they'll add crimson heads to re2? i kinda feel like the gameplay design/purpose of crimson heads wouldn't really work as well in RE2 due to you moving through different areas quicker + the larger variety of enemies in general.

Not so much horrible but more so segregated. By far the biggest community I have seen with clashing ideas for the series.

Step into the beta part of the community, or the competitive, or even argue some of the holes, errors and inconsistancies of the series and there are some real scumbags who aren't shy about it.

speaking of which, do any of ya'll think they'll add crimson heads to re2? i kinda feel like the gameplay design/purpose of crimson heads wouldn't really work as well in RE2 due to you moving through different areas quicker + the larger variety of enemies in general.
I don't think they will add Crimson Heads, but I would like to see them try and include their own new mechanics, as well as making the things you do in one scenario have a greater influence upon the other. The B.O.W. Gas for example is an element that could well be expanded upon.

RSB

Banned
Even though I strongly prefer the older games in the series, I'll always keep buying the new ones and playing them (albeit probably discounted in a sale), so long as they keep bringing back all these characters that I've grown attached to since the 90s. I feel obligated to follow their continuing journey, and see it through.

Which is why I am utterly baffled every time someone calls for a reboot. Replacing all those characters (at this point the main reason I'm still even buying the mainline games anymore) with lookalikes with new backstories would instantly kill any interest I had in the series. Reboot Chris and Reboot Jill would not be the same characters I've grown so fond of all these years.

I want Capcom to keep going where they've been going with the series. They now have games in the series for everyone. If you want shootbang, you can get that. If you want something slower and scarier, you can get that. I may not enjoy an action RE7 as much as I enjoyed RE1 or RE2, but there's always the Revelations subseries along with classic remakes for me to look forward to. Assuming they keep making them, of course.
Yep, asking for a reboot seems crazy to me too. And honestly, considering how RE6 ended, it would be completely unnecessary. They can take the story wherever they want, really.

And yeah, I don't care much for the Revelations games (they are enjoyable, and that's about it) but hopefully the RE2 Remake will be 100% classic RE, and succesful enough to convince Capcom to keep making new RE games in that style. It would be a perfect way to complement the main series (which I want to remain action)

It feels amazing to be a fan of both classic and action RE.

HeelPower

Oh yeah. I rememer almost shitting my pants the first time I saw one of those.

Currently replaying though PE2 too, it's aged like fine wine.

hqdefault.jpg

desertanmc-e1310586802839.jpg

The creepiest enemy in any survival horror. Also the muffled scream behind the bookshelf. PE2 is definitely scarier.

for something that's probably less rational and more crazytown:

parasite eve 2 is one of the best old school resident evils that isn't REmake.
the pacing, the strong emphasis on body horror, the very unique and desolate environments, the branching story paths, the soundtrack, the mixed rpg/combat system having lots of unique and interesting options that lets you approach encounters in interesting ways, it's like the perfect half step between RE3 and RE4

get at me

Well,the combat in PE2 is definitely better because you can actually dodge on reaction and you have a myriad of options to deal with enemies.From PE attacks to tons of weapons.

PE2 is such a great masterpiece that's sadly overlooked by so many.It easily rivals the greatest classic REs.

Top Bottom