• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL - From best to worst

Dark Star

RE2 (remake)
RE7
RE4
RE1 (remake)
RE6
RE5
RE3 (remake)
RE2
RE1
RE3

I don't really care to rank the rest because I haven't played any of the spin-off games, but I would like to eventually. I've heard good things about Code Veronica, for example, so it would probably land high on my list.

Last edited:

raul3d

To all the people rating RE5 mediocre to trash: Did you play it solo or coop with two players?

I think it was an amazing coop experience and I never found anything quite like it again, with Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams coming very close.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well... I just can't see 4 and 5 as good games to the franchise.

Don't get me wrong, they were good games in the time when they got released. Yet, they sucks as resident Evil. Add to that that both are unplayable these days.

I tried to play both and they both sucks to play.

My top:

REmake
RE2 (1998)
Code Veronica
RE1
RER2
RE3
RER3
RE4 (Fun game, bad RE)
RE5 (Fun game, bad RE)
Kinda like mine
REmake
RE2 (1998)
RE2 (2018)
RE
RE3
RE3 (2020)
RE4
RE:Code Veronica
RER
RE0
RER2
RE5
RE6
RE Deadaim
RE7

kunonabi

To all the people rating RE5 mediocre to trash: Did you play it solo or coop with two players?

I think it was an amazing coop experience and I never found anything quite like it again, with Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams coming very close.
Playing co-op and just dicking around and making fun of it is extremely enjoyable and it's the only game that comes close to having a Chris that actually resembled his original RE1 self. Even the REmake botched that but it's still pretty terrible if you try to take it seriously. Of course, after RE4 I suppose one shouldn't be trying that anyway.

Last edited:

Umbral

It’s probably because I didn’t play it at release, but I did not like Resident Evil 4 better than any of the games I’ve played. I don’t get it.

Resident Evil 4 was a slog to get through.

kunonabi

It’s probably because I didn’t play it at release, but I did not like Resident Evil 4 better than any of the games I’ve played. I don’t get it.

Resident Evil 4 was a slog to get through.
I enjoyed it through the village. Then Leon went total kung-fu asshole, the james bond gadgets started popping up, and the story went full on stupid. And jesus those hunnigan codec calls were so painful. I ended up just skipping those altogether.

Airbus Jr

Banned
tenor.gif
Big mom tyrant going to slap everyone and is heading to #1

Last edited:

WoJ

I will only rank the games in the main series I've played.

1. RE4
2. REmake
3. RE2 (PS1 version)
4. RE 0
5. RE CV

I really need to play through the rest of this series.

Farly

Neo Member
REmake
Resident evil Deadly silence
Resident evil 1
Resident evil 4
Resident evil 3
Resident evil 2
REmake 2
Resident evil 7
————— Bad
Resident evil CV
REmake 3
Resident evil 0

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
Was reading your top then I stopped take you seriously when I saw "5th. Resident Evil 7" right after "4th. Resident Evil 5"

Come on, Resident Evil 5 is the WORST RE EVER.

Also, just play RE7 in VR !

lunnuyu

My top :

1. REmake2
2. REmake3
3. REmake
4. RE7
5. RE5
6. RE3
7. RE1
8. RE0
9. REv2
10.REv1
11. RE2
12. RE 6
13. RE CV
14. RE4
15. RE Dead Aim
16. RE Survivor

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
poor worst game being the best seller of the series though !
a point could be made about RE5 building up much hype after the success of RE4. It's also a genuenly good game. It's not scary (RE4 wasn't either), but it is a very enjoyable action shooter set in the RE universe.

lunnuyu

a point could be made about RE5 building up much hype after the success of RE4. It's also a genuenly good game. It's not scary (RE4 wasn't either), but it is a very enjoyable action shooter set in the RE universe.
I think the Co-op part of it also helped the sales, otherwise it could have done as bad as RE3make (RE2make was pretty great and it had hype too but RE3make flopped in sales)

I mean, RE6 also sold somewhere around 9.8M copies, being the 3rd best seller in the series for now (might be dethroned by RE7 and RE2make by the next sales update)

Ozzie666

Out of curiosity, where would Deep Fear fit on this list? Under rated treasure that it is. Probably the best Resident evil clone/inspired title ever.

april6e

Like it has already been mentioned, if you didn't play RE5 co-op, you missed out. In the same way of people who didn't play RE7 on PSVR. RE5 is a top 5 co-op campaign experience of all time and RE7 VR is the best VR game overall to date IMO. Anyways:

RE4
RE2 Remake
RE7 VR
REmake
RE5 Co-op
RE3make
RE6

I don't care to try the "side games" like RE0, Revelations, etc. but hopefully someone in this topic who isn't an old school "I hate the modern RE games" sort can convince me that one of the side games is a must play.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My personal list since playing them on PS1.

RE Remake
RE4
RE2 Remake
RE2
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Code Veronica
RE3
Resident Evil Revelations 2
RE0
RE6
RE5
Resident Evil Revelations

I wasn’t that big into Operation Racoon City. The rail shooters were interesting, but it also didn’t grab me as much as the actual game it’s based on. I think the same for Dead Aim and Outbreak. I played RE1-3 on Ps1 and when Outbreak came out I wasn’t interested in it. I was there day 1 for RE4 on GameCube. I had CV on Dreamcast when it first came out. I would definitely say 1R and 4 are neck and neck. The remake of 1 solidified it as being a survival horror classic. Capcom did such an amazing job at remaking the original. Even if Resident Evil 4 was such a classic game. It’s hard to forget about the mansion and where I first fell in love with the franchise.

A Code Veronica Remake would outshine Resident Evil 3 Remake IMO. I actually wanted to score 7 higher, but there’s so much to this series before 7 was established. Which is also another reason to why I enjoy the new direction.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I don't care to try the "side games" like RE0, Revelations, etc. but hopefully someone in this topic who isn't an old school "I hate the modern RE games" sort can convince me that one of the side games is a must play.
Revelations 2 was dope, it brings back barry and it deals with "the wesker children" introduced in RE5: LiN; might has well been a mainline game if the budget was higher.

RE0 is a mainline, canonical game. It's not a "side game."

Diddy X

4 was never a big thing for me, it is a good game, but that's about it, some parts are pretty tedious and it's not scary or have much to do with original RE lore, 2 is the best for me no doubt followed by 1, 7 is also fuckin brilliant and a great new take, then go the rest.

REmake
RE0
RE2 Remake
RE2
RE: Code Veronica
RE3
RE7
RE4
RE: Outbreak 1&2
RE3 Remake
RE: Revelations 2
Re: Revelations
RE6
RE5

N/A: RE1 (no real reason to play it over REmake other than novelty)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Like it has already been mentioned, if you didn't play RE5 co-op, you missed out. In the same way of people who didn't play RE7 on PSVR. RE5 is a top 5 co-op campaign experience of all time and RE7 VR is the best VR game overall to date IMO. Anyways:

RE4
RE2 Remake
RE7 VR
REmake
RE5 Co-op
RE3make
RE6

I haven't played Zero in a long time but I remember it fondly with some amazing graphics for the Gamecube and some very nice set pieces. It's a classic game in terms of style and I'd consider it scarier than any game coming after except RE7.
Your companion can be tedious though and you may or may not enjoy the new item system. It is very cheap to get these days and regularly on sale. I'd say go for it.

Elios83

My list:

Best ones:
Resident Evil Rebirth
RE2/RE2:Remake
RE7
RE4

Good but nothing special:
Code Veronica
Resident Evil 3

Bad ones:
RE6
RE5
RE0

SkylineRKR

As much as I hate RE5 I can't place in trash tier. I like the Mercs and co-op too much for that.

Top tier:

RE2R
RE4
RE3
RE3R
RE7
REmake
RE2

Generally, these are all good. RE2R is better than RE2, but just not everywhere making the original still worthwhile to check out. RE3R is simply a completely different take on RE3, they are 2 different experiences. The roles the characters play and the outcome are the same but everything else plays out different. OG RE3 had mercs, RE3R has the same unlocks, but by replaying the main game that does change stuff once you go above Hard.

REmake for example, makes the original game redundant. Its the same game, but much nicer to look at and its expanded.

Mid tier:

CV
RE1
RE Zero
RE5

RE5 is the worst of this lot but offers the best side content and most replay value.

Trash Tier:

Revelations
Revelations 2
RE6

These games are simply awful. Revelations 2 had a nice episodic story, but in terms of gameplay, graphics and overall design its a very bad game. Especially if you play it in one go. Rev 1 is even worse, its just all around terrible. RE6 is a franken game. The developers just threw everything they could at it, and saw what sticks. Thats not an awful lot, RE6 is absolutely terrible. The gameplay would have some potential if the level design and enemy AI was designed around it. The story is insulting, even for a Resident Evil.

yurinka

Top tier
1-REmake
2-RE2
3-REVII
4-RECV
5-RE

High tier
6-RE2R
7-RE4
8-RE3

Low tier
9-RE5
10-RE3R
11-RE Revelations
12-RE0
13-RE6

Bottom tier
14-RE Darkside Chronicles
15-RE Revelations 2
16-RE Umbrella Chronicles
17-RE Survivor

Umbral

This week’s Hades-like internet obsession, I suppose, is that RE Village vampire.

All the people “stanning” the big vampire lady and talking about how “lit AF fam” she is or how much of “a big mood” she is, you’re insufferable.

CitizenZ

Banned
i dont get the whole RE thing but 4 was one of the few games i know deserved a perfect game score and is an all time favorite. RE2 looks like a solid remake but the originals could care less.

1. Resident evil remake 10/10
2. Resident evil 2 10/10
3. Resident evil 3 10/10
4. Resident evil 2 remake 8/10 only because its not finished and incomplete.
5. Resident evil 1 8/10
6. Resident evil CVX 8/10
7. Resident evil 7 8/10
8. Resident evil 4 5/10
9. Resident evil 5 3/10
10. Resident evil 6 2/10

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Well this is certainly a better thread than the one going on in Resetera right now. I'd have to say it's pretty damn close between CODE: Veronica and RE2 for me on which is the best. After those two I'd say RE7 and the original are on roughly even ground. Mostly for how they made me feel my first time playing them. If I had to do a list it would be;

1) Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
2) Resident Evil 2 (remake and original)
3) Resident Evil (remake and original)
4) Resident Evil 7
5) Resident Evil 4
6) Resident Evil 3 (remake and original)
7) Resident Evil 5
8) Resident Evil 6

Never put much time into any of the other games, though I own both Revelations. For me I think Resident Evil 6 was the only one I honestly felt was "bad". The rest I just thought were better or worse than the others but were all good to me.

NikuNashi

Why no love for Revelations 1+2. Quality games.

1st. Resident Evil 96

2nd. Resident Evil 2.

3rd. Resident Evil 4.

Way, Way down the list at the bottom is

Resident Evil 7. Basically not a resi game at all.

Resident Evil 4 was a revolution in gaming when it debuted on the Gcube. The Village is one of the most iconic moments in gaming. I remember being blown away when the villagers started breaking through doors and windows to get me. The best Resident Evil hands down and I hope the remake is as groundbreaking as the original.

Top Bottom