• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL - From best to worst

Fake

Sorry, but RE1('96) beat RE4 quite easily. Third person shooters are quite common at the time RE4 launch, nothing new besides having the name 'Resident Evil' on the game.

Use your imagination and change the name of the Resident Evil 4 and the main char of the same and you'll get a game without so much love.

Resident Evil 1 was a unique type of the game and a trully survive horror. RE4 is not a survive horror. Foes drops ammunitions and Leon have 'wtf' finish move on foes.

RE4 is the reason CAPCOM keep changing the franchise so many times. They want the same amount of overated love about a new style of the game, so the Resident Evil franchise will be changing endless. At the end of the day, created a very divisive fanbase.

Just look with your own eyes. Locked camera, third person, co-op, action game, first person shooter and even a pvp game.

Last edited:
Dude abso-effing-lutely. I play through the OG 96 release probably every other month. For about 3 years it was literally the only game I played, and that was recently, like 2015-2018. Just wasn't gaming much and I was dealing with a lot of shit that fell into my lap. It was like zen meditation. It's my personal favorite game of all time. It really is an absolute masterpiece in terms of game design. People crack on the voice acting but who cares, the sound design, environments, gameplay, and story hold up 100%. The success of RE is one of the reasons Capcom was able to stay afloat back then, and that's coming from Alex (CVX Freak). He's about to release a book that details tons of behind the scenes stuff, he lives in Japan, speaks the language and interviewed tons of people who were involved in the early RE games. Can't wait to read it.
Sorry to hear about the shit falling on you; hopefully you've since moved past that.

As for RE1, it is a fantastic video game, hands down. I'm not sure if there are any legit haters of the voice acting, but I think it actually adds to the game, as opposed to detract from it. If anything I found that the same lines delivered in a more "serious" tone in REmake actually turned me off a little bit.

I mean, every time I play the game, and I hear Richard say "this house, has terrible demons... OUCH." I make sure to not be drinking anything at that time, because that line made me spit out my water once. But every single time, it makes me laugh. It's genius. That, and Rebecca's "LOOK AT THOSE MONSTERRRRRSSSSSS" towards the end. My god. I don't actually enjoy much dialogue in video games (especially ones that take themselves seriously in an almost cringey way). But I straight up love RE1 dialogue. I practically have most of it memorized at this point.

To not go on forever about my love of this game, I'll pick something at random. Let's see, uhhh... I guess when I very first played the game, Chris's 6 slots annoyed me. "Why so few!?" Every time I play the game now, I'm like "if he had even ONE MORE SLOT, I'd throw this game in the garbage bin." Ha ha, exaggerating of course, but you get the point. It's something else I've come to love about it.

I also was aware of all that stuff you mentioned about CVX Freak and the book he's writing. I saw some video, I think it was a Resident Evil 2 classic gameplay, with, I think it was CarcinogenSDA playing, and CVX Freak was interviewing the director while the two of them watched Carcinogen play.

Found it, this one:

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably in the minority in that I don't think any of them are terrible, but RE0 and RE6 are definitely the worst of the series in my opinion (I didn't play most of the spinoffs).

Gonna use the tier system I've seen used to rank games. Only gonna rank the games I've played, of course.

S-Tier
1. Resident Evil 4
: The greatest video game of all time.
2. Resident Evil 2 (2019): A truly masterful remake. Amazing gameplay, graphics, characters, voice acting, gun variety, boss design, etc. On its own merits, one of the greatest video games of all time. Could have potentially surpassed even RE4 for me, but when compared to OG RE2, there's just enough missing -- the most obvious 2 being soundtrack and scenario layout -- to prevent it from going to the stratosphere.
3. Resident Evil 3 (1999): Just about perfected the original tank controlled/fixed camera formula. Incredibly fun to play. Amazing weapon and ammo selection. Enough RNG to keep almost every run fresh. And of course, not just the (easily) most iconic villain in the series, but likely one of the most iconic villains in video games, period.

A-Tier
4. Resident Evil
(2002): Of course, a fantastic remake of the first game. One of the best survival horror games of all time. However, clunky shooting mechanics, sub-optimal traversal, and a soundtrack that's actually worse than the original 1996 game, prevents this game from "god-like" status for me. It also does not supersede the original 1996 game.
5. Resident Evil 2 (1998): Out of the original PS1 trilogy, this is unquestionably my "sentimental favorite" (even if I generally have more fun playing RE3C) and is the most balanced of the original 3. The second scenario stuff is *chef's kiss* material.
6. Resident Evil 0: Likely the hot take of this list. This game is good. Even very good, at times. In some ways, probably the best fixed-camera, tank-controlled Resident Evil. The environments are awesome. The limited inventory system is great (although the Hookshot can go screw itself, seriously). Bosses and boss variety is great. Unfortunately, it being on the Remake engine means that shooting and traversal don't feel good. Also, it would have been nice to have a true coop mode (giving a human the ability to control the second character). Fixing those two things would make this game unquestionably god-tier and the best "traditional" Resident Evil.

B-Tier
7. Resident Evil 3
(2020): Incredibly fun game to play; for me, the most fun game to play after RE4. I really love this game. The new mechanic (Jill = perfect dodge; Carlos = punch) is probably the single most satisfying game mechanic I've experienced in a long while. On its own merits, this game is actually an S-tier game for me. But comparing it to the original... feels bad, man: No Clocktower, no Park, no Live Selection, no Mercenaries, no costumes.
8. Resident Evil (1996): This is like B+/A- tier for me. And just because it's B tier doesn't mean I don't love this game. I really do. Fun to play. Fantastic soundtrack. GREAT (yes, you read that right) voice acting. This still holds up for me, in 2021.
9. Resident Evil 5 (single player): In co-op this game is easily an A. But most of my playthroughs have been playing it single player, so this is where it lands. AI is terrible, much worse than your partner AI in RE0. Also not sure how I feel about that "piss filter" that coats the entire game in this yellowish hue. It plays pretty well though, and it's generally fun.

C-Tier
10. Resident Evil: Revelations
: Gameplay is solid, since it seems like a continuation of RE4. The Zenobia ship is an amazing locale. That's where the good news probably end, though: Crap-tastic characters (take your pick: red-haired dude, that chick with half (!?) a wetsuit, those two annoying scrubs you have to play as, etc). Story is dumb and boring. I can't even remember a single tune from the soundtrack.

Games in progress -- rank TBD: Code Veronica, Revelations 2, RE6, RE7, Operation Raccoon City (yeah, you read that right. I'm gonna regret spending those $5...)

Last edited:
REmake is still the epitome of the original Resident Evil formula and a fantastic game all around. After that, the RE games definitely fall into pretty distinct tiers.

RE4, 7 and 2 (original and remake) are the A tier

The bottom tier is RE5, RE6, and RE0. All the others just fall in between somewhere

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Ranking for the RE titles I played

1. RE : Remake
2. RE3 1999
3. RE2 Remake
4. RE7
5. RE4
Trash Tiers : RE5 , RE Relevations 1 & 2
Supreme Garbage Tier : RE6

Madflavor

Been a lifelong Resident Evil fan for what it's worth. Here's how I'd rank them. I would've had RE2 Remake at the top, but cutting out Path A/B was a personal big gripe from me.

dgQR0h1.png

Other comments:

• I place RE7 so high because it's definitely a very good game, but also it saved the franchise in my eyes and returned the series to it's roots.
  • RE6 is placed so low because of what it represents and how it took the series in a direction where it had a serious identity crisis.
  • I don't look down on any of those games in the Okay category. Some of them I enjoy very much. But they just weren't noteworthy imo.
  • I wanted to place RE5 in Good, because while it's not a good RE game, it's also an amazing co-op game. But I can't forgive it for taking the series into it's action roots. If Re4 started that path, Re5 cemented it.
  • Resident Evil Remake is, imo, the best in the series in the definitive Resident Evil experience.

radewagon

Whoa now. I thought the passage of so much time had shifted general consensus towards the opinion that Code Veronica is a repetitive dull experience with stiff controls, robotic animations, annoying item management, and game mechanics that were old fashioned even back when the game was originally released.

I'll see myself out.

Moogle11

Banned
Of the ones I’ve finished I’d probably I rank them:

RE4
RE5
RE2 Remake
RE7
RE1
RE Code Veronica
RE6

I’m not big on survival horror games so the action oriented ones are more my speed. 6 was just awful though.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
RE1 remake
RE4
RE3
RE2 = RE2 remake
RE Zero
RE original
RE VII
RE3 remake
RE5
RE6
Code Veronica

Not listing spin offs.

EDIT: Forgot RE VII.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Resident Evil 1 OG
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil 1 Remake
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 7

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
AI is terrible, much worse than your partner AI in RE0.
This complaint always seems like I played some bizarro version of RE5, cause sheva was a shitton more competent than many coop partners I had.
She has perfect aim (that's why you give her a bolt action rifle), brings me ammo when I need it, never fails QTE's, instantly rushes towards me for revive/healing (instead of having to yell at my human partner to pay fucking attention), does max damage to the boulder, in the boulder shooting stage, instantly gets me out of grabs, actually does the coop melee attacks if you keep moving forward, and has no problem dodging all boss attacks that can be dodged (like wesker's).

I can chalk it up to having many shitty human partners, but at least I know exactly what to expect from sheva.
the boulder shooting stage was genuinly impossible with every single one of my human partners on professional, if you don't have perfect aim, it just hits the truck and you die instantly; no problems with sheva.

This complaint always seems like I played some bizarro version of RE5, cause sheva was a shitton more competent than many coop partners I had.
She has perfect aim (that's why you give her a bolt action rifle), brings me ammo when I need it, never fails QTE's, instantly rushes towards me for revive/healing (instead of having to yell at my human partner to pay fucking attention), does max damage to the boulder, in the boulder shooting stage, instantly gets me out of grabs, actually does the coop melee attacks if you keep moving forward, and has no problem dodging all boss attacks that can be dodged (like wesker's).

I can chalk it up to having many shitty human partners, but at least I know exactly what to expect from sheva.
the boulder shooting stage was genuinly impossible with every single one of my human partners on professional, if you don't have perfect aim, it just hits the truck and you die instantly; no problems with sheva.
From what I remember, AI Sheva runs in, guns blazing, into the middle of enemy groups (and therefore, I became well acquainted with the cries of "help me, paht-nah!"). She uses healing items very liberally and goes through ammo like candy.

The 2-on-2 boss fight between the two sides (You and Sheva vs Wesker and You-Know-Who) was very frustrating for me using the AI partner on Standard. I think at that point was when I thought, "yeah, no way in hell I'm gonna do this fight with an AI Partner on Professional." I am mostly a single player kind of guy; so, to this very day, I have not played RE5 on Professional for this reason. This is coming from someone who almost always plays RE games on harder difficulties.

I'll give RE5 another go (on Standard of course) in the near future; maybe my memories of the Sheva AI can use a refresher.

Mozzarella

1. Resident Evil Remake
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil 2 Remake
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Resident Evil – Code: Veronica
6. Resident Evil 7.
7. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
8. Resident Evil 3 Remake
8+ The rest are all equally awful.

TexMex

REmake, and RE2 Remake. After that, I don’t feel especially passionate about many of them.

I will say 0 gets an unfair amount of hate tho!

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
From what I remember, AI Sheva runs in, guns blazing, into the middle of enemy groups (and therefore, I became well acquainted with the cries of "help me, paht-nah!"). She uses healing items very liberally and goes through ammo like candy.
Dunno, she never wandered off for me or wasted ammo unless I put her in attack mode.

In cover mode, she'll barely leave your side, and with a rifle, she'll also never run out of ammo (you can basically dump all rifle ammo on her).
I own RE5 3 times, (x360, ps3, pc) and I've beaten them all on professional solo, the AI has been so much more competent than most of my human partners.
Seriously let wesker or sandwich attack the AI, you'll see they dodge all range attacks and melee attacks that have QTE's and even perfectly counter with the melee counter sequence.

Dunno, she never wandered off for me or wasted ammo unless I put her in attack mode.

In cover mode, she'll barely leave your side, and with a rifle, she'll also never run out of ammo (you can basically dump all rifle ammo on her).
I own RE5 3 times, (x360, ps3, pc) and I've beaten them all on professional solo, the AI has been so much more competent than most of my human partners.
Seriously let wesker or sandwich attack the AI, you'll see they dodge all range attacks and melee attacks that have QTE's and even perfectly counter with the melee counter sequence.
Ahhhhh, I see. I've played the game twice (PS3, 360, and currently own it but haven't yet played it on PC) and what the case might have been is that I, in a noob-tastic move, probably set her on Attack Mode, hence all the shenanigans I explained in my original reply to you. (Either set her in Attack Mode, or left her there if that's the default setting).

Also, pretty good tip on the Wesker/Sandwich fight. (LMAO... "Sandwich". That's pretty good, I chuckled). When I played the game on both PS3 and 360, based on the logistics of that fight, I didn't trust the AI partner to deal with Wesker the way I thought he needed to be dealt with. (Again, potentially short-sighted on my part). AI Sheva was struggling with Sandwich, so that fight wasn't all that fun at all. But you've given me a new perspective and I'm actually now excited to figure the rest of the fight out and move on to Professional.

Truly appreciate the tips, man. Cheers!

teokrazia

Resident Evil 2 - Resident Evil Rebirth (can't choose)
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil 3 Remake
Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 6: demo was more than enough

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Here's my list, of those that I have played and completed

1. RE4
2. RE Remake
3. RE: Revelations
4. RE5
5. RE Code: Veronica X
6. RE6
7. RE: Revelations 2
8. RE0

Currently playing: RE2 Remake

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
btw. are the spin offs on PS2 good, like generally good and not just something for hardcore fans? Talking about Outbreak 1 and 2 and Dead Aim.

brian0057

Banned
GOD TIER
  • Resident Evil (2002 remake).​
GOOD TIER
  • Resident Evil 2 (2019 remake).​
  • Resident Evil 2.​
  • Resident Evil: Revelations.​
  • Resident Evil 4.​
OK TIER
  • Resident Evil 5.
  • Resident Evil: Revelations 2.
  • Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.
  • Resident Evil 0.
  • Outlast... I mean, Resident Evil 7.
OH GOD! MAKE IT STOP! TIER
  • Resident Evil 6.
  • Resident Evil 3 (2020 remake).
  • Literally any multiplayer Resident Evil game. (Stop it, Capcom. It's never gonna be a thing.)
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

PooBone

I known it’s blasphemous to many, but I think RE4 was a huge mistake that ruined the franchise for over a decade.
RE1
RE2
RE7
RE0
RE3
Revelations 2
Code: Veronica
Revelations 1
RE5
RE4
RE6

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

btw. are the spin offs on PS2 good, like generally good and not just something for hardcore fans? Talking about Outbreak 1 and 2 and Dead Aim.

Dead Aim wasn't great but I did enjoy The Umbrella Chronicles (2007) on the Wii.

Good fun lightgun game, obviously quite a short arcade experience as befits the genre, but nice to be shooting up the Spencer Mansion without any thought of conserving ammo!

Phobos Base

Great:
RE2 & Remake
RE1 DC & Remake
RE4

Good:
RE1
RE7
RE0
RE3 & Remake
Code Veronica
Revelations 1

Ok:
Umbrella 7 Darkside Chronicles
RE5
Revelations 2
Mercenaries 3d
Gaiden

Shite:
RE6
Survivor
Umbrella Corps

Haven't played enough of the Outbreak games to properly rank them

Kokoloko85

S rank
RE 1 Remake ( The mansion plus Lisa is so awesome, a top 10 favourite game of mine )
RE 2 ( My first and love it )
RE Code Veronica ( The longest Classic RE game, apart from a few issues I love it, great lore too )

RE Zero ( Great RE remake graphics, train and mansion are awesome, item system is not...main enemy is meh but I like all the lore info )

RE 2 Remake ( Great game, just dont like the changes like Stalker Mr X, way too much MR X and not enough effort after the police station, the sewers and lab etc - Plus lots missing in the police station - Missing the A/B scenerio was bad too. A waste but still a great game and loved how they done alot of it )

Tie between RE 3, 4, 7 - I enjoyed the 3rd Remake too but too short and Nemsis was stalking less than MR X did in RE 2 remake

RE 4 ( Amazing game, Some of my favourite bosses. Loved the castle and lore, but after stopping count at 870 enemies it just wasnt a classic RE game at all, no real backtracking, poor puzzles, too much action )
RE 7 ( More Classic RE feeling in the house than the last few entries, lots of crappy bits too, was a great game altogether )
RE 3 / RE 3 Remake ( Least favourite of the classic formula but still had lots of backtracking and being careful with ammo etc. )

RE 5 ( Loved it as a Great Coop game, but too much action, too far away from the classic formula and last boss doesnt fucking stop, Not a RE game )
RE 6... still need to finish but wasnt RE

Last edited:

Neff

Here's what I originally wrote over at the loony bin, with some minor changes and updates.

1. Resident Evil (1996) - The original and best. A wild success that nobody saw coming (including most of Capcom itself) and defined a series and a genre overnight. The Spencer Mansion is one of gaming's most iconic locales, even some of its rooms are iconic by themselves. Everyone remembers when that first zombie turned and caught them with that stare. Mikami's classic still as great as it ever was, thanks to insanely robust, exhaustively-planned design that continues to entertain players to this day. A masterpiece.

2. Resident Evil 4 - I still remember anticipating what would eventually be the scrapped 3.5 'Hookman' version of RE4, so it was quite some surprise to wake up one morning and read about the GI world exclusive of Mikami's literal game changer. The old version is completely gone? Set during the daytime? Leon being chased by Spanish farmers? All of this before any pics were available online, so naturally my imagination ran riot, and I'm not ashamed to say, panicked a lot. In fact I was still unconvinced even after seeing the game in action. My beloved Resident Evil was dead! Turned into a generic brown linear action game! Naturally, my worry was misplaced. Mikami and his team fearlessly re-wrote the rulebook (while still smartly adhering to classic tropes) and crafted what is arguably the finest pure-action videogame of all time, and it's truly evergreen. I mean, despite finishing the game upwards of 20 times or so at least, and knowing practically every little detail of the game inside and out, I could stop writing this, put it on, and lose myself in it for hours. There's not a single moment of downtime, not one groan of 'oh no, not this part'. As a slice of videogame design, as a masterclass exercise in how to manipulate the player with expert pacing, and as a piece of electronic entertainment in its own right, it's peerless.

3. Resident Evil (2002) - While I still prefer the original over this remake, there's still a lot of appeal in Mikami's gloomier and tenser retread of his own classic that it can call its own. The atmosphere for one is very different. While the 1996 game embraced a more Overlook Hotel-style, lived-in sense of vibrant supernatural stillness, the remake goes for a more gothic, decaying environment with low light and long shadows. The pace is slower, too. Chris and Jill move and turn slower than they did in the original, and are more vulnerable as a result. And while the map is largely the same, the routes and obstacles in the game are different, requiring different keys. Items are in different places. Puzzles are reworked entirely. And it looks PHENOMENAL, even now. It's like a visit from an old friend with wonderful new travels and stories to tell. The ultimate remake.

4. Resident Evil 2 (1998) - Hideki Kamiya gets his directing break, but not without hurdles. The famous demise of 1.5 resulted in a director and a team so determined to succeed, so focused on sustaining RE's breakout pedigree, that what we got was quite simply one of the finest, most polished, and luxuriously content-rich sequels in gaming, delivered in record time. It's probably the most well-loved of the classic games among the fanbase too, and deservedly so. Kamiya's failure is our (and his) good fortune.

5. Resident Evil Code Veronica - Resident Evil makes the jump from 240i to 480i, in full polygonal 3D, and it's a good one. The first 'next gen' RE delivers a timeline-jumping epic which reunites (and revives) classic characters, and exponentially expands the lore in spectacular fashion. It's probably the most intricately-designed RE, too. Just when you think you've learned your way round the map, there's a mid-way series of twists that completely re-orients the layout. It experiments with some neat themes too on top of the usual horror/action movie homages.

6. Resident Evil 6 - Capcom creates, in their own words, 'The ultimate Resident Evil'. And it kinda is. RE6 takes RE4/5's system and blows it wide open in terms of offensive/defensive mechanics, while at the same time honouring a 16-year legacy of settings, character dynamics, and callbacks, in addition to reviving RE5's co-op system. While taking the notion of RE as an action series too far for some, it is nonetheless an exquisitely crafted TPS game, with a seemingly inexhaustible volume of content. By far the biggest and most comprehensive RE title to date, and imo one of the best. I love it.

7. Resident Evil 5 - The series' second 'next gen' title takes a very different and refreshing turn after the seminal RE4, by switching rural Spain for the scorching heat and desolation of Africa, and adding co-op for the first time. It's a more methodical, relaxed, and less eccentric game than RE4, although it still has its share of crazy stuff going on. And being RE4's tamer cousin means it's still a corker. The game is already great solo, but with a friend it comes into its own, with some of the best (if not the best) co-op play in gaming. Sadly it's always going to be 'the game that wasn't as good as RE4', which doesn't do it justice, but comparisons and dashed expectations are inevitable when its prequel is one of the most stunning pieces of software ever made. It's weaker in just about every area bar technically (it's still one of the best-looking games in existence for my money). It's simpler, slower, less challenging, and shorter. Nevertheless, I've never been more excited to play a video game than RE5, and I probably never will be again. It's a fantastic and spectacular close to a particular chapter of the lore, too.

8. Resident Evil 7 - New generation, new numbered Resident Evil, and with it a complete model change. The game could not be more different from RE6 if it tried, and Capcom certainly did try. Despite obviously flirting with numerous contemporary gaming fashions, it's surprisingly authentic in its approach to recreating old-school RE in first person. It's one of the most richly atmospheric and immersive games I've ever played due to staggering attention to detail, brilliant art direction, superb sound design, and the sheer muscle of the RE Engine. The fact that it's slightly too short, and features a small selection of enemy types, are the only things stopping it from being a classic. Otherwise, it's the real deal.

9. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - Well, we finally do it. And it's great. Less a remake and more of a full-on reimagining in terms of mechanics, perspective, and presentation, it pretty much only shares its memorable setting, set pieces, and cast of characters with the original. There are lots of cheeky references and expectation-subverting moments for fans of the original, and the reshuffled map design disarms veterans in deliciously devious style. But it's not all great. While the new over-the-shoulder perspective has its moments, it ultimately fails to vindicate its presence due to the lack of need for precision shooting outside of bosses, and generally isn't worth the sacrifice of fixed camera angles. The controls are occasionally disorienting and unreliable. Significant sections of the original B scenarios are cut. Hardcore mode, which is the only way to play for old school fans craving those ink ribbon saves, is an afterthought with poor balance. Worth the wait? Maybe not. But going back to the RPD in such quality fashion was still a huge thrill for me, and the sweet, heady nostalgia lasts from beginning to end.

10. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - This game had no right being as good as it is. For a low-budget episodic spin-off, it's a slam-dunk, home run, full-on RE experience that manages to do a lot with a little, and do it well. Bringing back a long-neglected fan-favourite character in fine fashion, and implementing the series' first girl/girl partnership, it's a winner, with some great interactions, awesome level design, creative puzzles, and an absolute stormer of a (secret) ending.

11. Resident Evil 0 - The classic format goes out with a bang, if not a terribly loud one. RE0 escalates the challenge for its last hurrah, both regarding item management and combat. Possibly even better looking than REmake, too. A good game, but it's clear that the series was running out of steam at this point, and I feel it kind of unnecessarily undermines the series' continuity, with some very clumsy and two-dimensional writing, even for RE.

12. Resident Evil 3 (1999) - There's nothing wrong with RE3, it's great. But taken on its own merits, everything it does that the series has done before, has been done better. And the things that it does uniquely aren't so great imo. I've never really liked Nemesis. I'm not keen on the dodge. I vastly prefer claustrophobic rooms that interconnect like a jigsaw puzzle to RE3's long, scenic corridors. But like I said, there's nothing actually wrong with it, and if I'm in the mood to play it, I'll have a blast. But it's definitely the weakest classic RE for me.

13. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - The loosest remake yet, RE3 2020 is even more liberated, giving itself lots of room for self-indulgent deviation. And it mostly works, offering constant surprises and fun changes throughout. The most obvious strikes against it are its lack of length and glaring, huge slices of cut content. Short Resident Evil is fine when it's non-linear and offers lots of player agency, meaning lots of potential ways to go wrong and improve upon. But RE3 2020 is a fairly linear game, with lots of scripted set pieces and 'hold up' chase scenes. Speaking of which, Nemesis is no longer the intimidating, unpredictable adversary he was in the original game, in fact, after the first area which permits him a little familiar stalking, he basically only turns up for boss duty. It's a shame, but not as great a shame as omitting the Clock Tower and the park. Quite why they decided to omit two of the best areas in the game, I don't know. Still really good, and I particularly liked the return of a live action intro to the series.

14. Resident Evil Revelations - I fell for this game hard when I first played it. Maps! Absurdly-themed keys! Drain-able bathtubs! I was in heaven. I think around the third time through though the honeymoon got stale. I really don't like the story or the new characters. I even hate some of them. The RE4-lite gameplay is fun, but it's probably the weakest in the series. The backtracking lacks an organic, logical sense of momentum and feels arbitrary. The way the game hops back and forth between timelines and scenarios is poorly done and, at times, even tiresome. I really don't like the Terragrigia stuff. It's a shame, because the Queen Zenobia is a really great location for RE, much more foreboding and atmospheric than the Spencer Rain was, for example. Overall, it's decent, and worth playing, and Raid Mode is ace.

For now, just passing by to say that I'm one of those weirdos that thinks that Resident Evil (2002) does not make Resident Evil (1996) obsolete.

Both games are equally valid as gaming experiences, and imo equally great. But the original holds a special place in my heart because it came out of nowhere and made me fall ecstatically head over heels in love from day one. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Matt_Fox

Here's what I originally wrote over at the loony bin, with some minor changes and updates.

1. Resident Evil (1996) - The original and best. A wild success that nobody saw coming (including most of Capcom itself) and defined a series and a genre overnight. The Spencer Mansion is one of gaming's most iconic locales, even some of its rooms are iconic by themselves. Everyone remembers when that first zombie turned and caught them with that stare. Mikami's classic still as great as it ever was, thanks to insanely robust, exhaustively-planned design that continues to entertain players to this day. A masterpiece.

2. Resident Evil 4 - I still remember anticipating what would eventually be the scrapped 3.5 'Hookman' version of RE4, so it was quite some surprise to wake up one morning and read about the GI world exclusive of Mikami's literal game changer. The old version is completely gone? Set during the daytime? Leon being chased by Spanish farmers? All of this before any pics were available online, so naturally my imagination ran riot, and I'm not ashamed to say, panicked a lot. In fact I was still unconvinced even after seeing the game in action. My beloved Resident Evil was dead! Turned into a generic brown linear action game! Naturally, my worry was misplaced. Mikami and his team fearlessly re-wrote the rulebook (while still smartly adhering to classic tropes) and crafted what is arguably the finest pure-action videogame of all time, and it's truly evergreen. I mean, despite finishing the game upwards of 20 times or so at least, and knowing practically every little detail of the game inside and out, I could stop writing this, put it on, and lose myself in it for hours. There's not a single moment of downtime, not one groan of 'oh no, not this part'. As a slice of videogame design, as a masterclass exercise in how to manipulate the player with expert pacing, and as a piece of electronic entertainment in its own right, it's peerless.

3. Resident Evil (2002) - While I still prefer the original over this remake, there's still a lot of appeal in Mikami's gloomier and tenser retread of his own classic that it can call its own. The atmosphere for one is very different. While the 1996 game embraced a more Overlook Hotel-style, lived-in sense of vibrant supernatural stillness, the remake goes for a more gothic, decaying environment with low light and long shadows. The pace is slower, too. Chris and Jill move and turn slower than they did in the original, and are more vulnerable as a result. And while the map is largely the same, the routes and obstacles in the game are different, requiring different keys. Items are in different places. Puzzles are reworked entirely. And it looks PHENOMENAL, even now. It's like a visit from an old friend with wonderful new travels and stories to tell. The ultimate remake.

4. Resident Evil 2 (1998) - Hideki Kamiya gets his directing break, but not without hurdles. The famous demise of 1.5 resulted in a director and a team so determined to succeed, so focused on sustaining RE's breakout pedigree, that what we got was quite simply one of the finest, most polished, and luxuriously content-rich sequels in gaming, delivered in record time. It's probably the most well-loved of the classic games among the fanbase too, and deservedly so. Kamiya's failure is our (and his) good fortune.

5. Resident Evil Code Veronica - Resident Evil makes the jump from 240i to 480i, in full polygonal 3D, and it's a good one. The first 'next gen' RE delivers a timeline-jumping epic which reunites (and revives) classic characters, and exponentially expands the lore in spectacular fashion. It's probably the most intricately-designed RE, too. Just when you think you've learned your way round the map, there's a mid-way series of twists that completely re-orients the layout. It experiments with some neat themes too on top of the usual horror/action movie homages.

6. Resident Evil 6 - Capcom creates, in their own words, 'The ultimate Resident Evil'. And it kinda is. RE6 takes RE4/5's system and blows it wide open in terms of offensive/defensive mechanics, while at the same time honouring a 16-year legacy of settings, character dynamics, and callbacks, in addition to reviving RE5's co-op system. While taking the notion of RE as an action series too far for some, it is nonetheless an exquisitely crafted TPS game, with a seemingly inexhaustible volume of content. By far the biggest and most comprehensive RE title to date, and imo one of the best. I love it.

7. Resident Evil 5 - The series' second 'next gen' title takes a very different and refreshing turn after the seminal RE4, by switching rural Spain for the scorching heat and desolation of Africa, and adding co-op for the first time. It's a more methodical, relaxed, and less eccentric game than RE4, although it still has its share of crazy stuff going on. And being RE4's tamer cousin means it's still a corker. The game is already great solo, but with a friend it comes into its own, with some of the best (if not the best) co-op play in gaming. Sadly it's always going to be 'the game that wasn't as good as RE4', which doesn't do it justice, but comparisons and dashed expectations are inevitable when its prequel is one of the most stunning pieces of software ever made. It's weaker in just about every area bar technically (it's still one of the best-looking games in existence for my money). It's simpler, slower, less challenging, and shorter. Nevertheless, I've never been more excited to play a video game than RE5, and I probably never will be again. It's a fantastic and spectacular close to a particular chapter of the lore, too.

8. Resident Evil 7 - New generation, new numbered Resident Evil, and with it a complete model change. The game could not be more different from RE6 if it tried, and Capcom certainly did try. Despite obviously flirting with numerous contemporary gaming fashions, it's surprisingly authentic in its approach to recreating old-school RE in first person. It's one of the most richly atmospheric and immersive games I've ever played due to staggering attention to detail, brilliant art direction, superb sound design, and the sheer muscle of the RE Engine. The fact that it's slightly too short, and features a small selection of enemy types, are the only things stopping it from being a classic. Otherwise, it's the real deal.

9. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - Well, we finally do it. And it's great. Less a remake and more of a full-on reimagining in terms of mechanics, perspective, and presentation, it pretty much only shares its memorable setting, set pieces, and cast of characters with the original. There are lots of cheeky references and expectation-subverting moments for fans of the original, and the reshuffled map design disarms veterans in deliciously devious style. But it's not all great. While the new over-the-shoulder perspective has its moments, it ultimately fails to vindicate its presence due to the lack of need for precision shooting outside of bosses, and generally isn't worth the sacrifice of fixed camera angles. The controls are occasionally disorienting and unreliable. Significant sections of the original B scenarios are cut. Hardcore mode, which is the only way to play for old school fans craving those ink ribbon saves, is an afterthought with poor balance. Worth the wait? Maybe not. But going back to the RPD in such quality fashion was still a huge thrill for me, and the sweet, heady nostalgia lasts from beginning to end.

10. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - This game had no right being as good as it is. For a low-budget episodic spin-off, it's a slam-dunk, home run, full-on RE experience that manages to do a lot with a little, and do it well. Bringing back a long-neglected fan-favourite character in fine fashion, and implementing the series' first girl/girl partnership, it's a winner, with some great interactions, awesome level design, creative puzzles, and an absolute stormer of a (secret) ending.

11. Resident Evil 0 - The classic format goes out with a bang, if not a terribly loud one. RE0 escalates the challenge for its last hurrah, both regarding item management and combat. Possibly even better looking than REmake, too. A good game, but it's clear that the series was running out of steam at this point, and I feel it kind of unnecessarily undermines the series' continuity, with some very clumsy and two-dimensional writing, even for RE.

12. Resident Evil 3 (1999) - There's nothing wrong with RE3, it's great. But taken on its own merits, everything it does that the series has done before, has been done better. And the things that it does uniquely aren't so great imo. I've never really liked Nemesis. I'm not keen on the dodge. I vastly prefer claustrophobic rooms that interconnect like a jigsaw puzzle to RE3's long, scenic corridors. But like I said, there's nothing actually wrong with it, and if I'm in the mood to play it, I'll have a blast. But it's definitely the weakest classic RE for me.

13. Resident Evil 3 (2020) - The loosest remake yet, RE3 2020 is even more liberated, giving itself lots of room for self-indulgent deviation. And it mostly works, offering constant surprises and fun changes throughout. The most obvious strikes against it are its lack of length and glaring, huge slices of cut content. Short Resident Evil is fine when it's non-linear and offers lots of player agency, meaning lots of potential ways to go wrong and improve upon. But RE3 2020 is a fairly linear game, with lots of scripted set pieces and 'hold up' chase scenes. Speaking of which, Nemesis is no longer the intimidating, unpredictable adversary he was in the original game, in fact, after the first area which permits him a little familiar stalking, he basically only turns up for boss duty. It's a shame, but not as great a shame as omitting the Clock Tower and the park. Quite why they decided to omit two of the best areas in the game, I don't know. Still really good, and I particularly liked the return of a live action intro to the series.

14. Resident Evil Revelations - I fell for this game hard when I first played it. Maps! Absurdly-themed keys! Drain-able bathtubs! I was in heaven. I think around the third time through though the honeymoon got stale. I really don't like the story or the new characters. I even hate some of them. The RE4-lite gameplay is fun, but it's probably the weakest in the series. The backtracking lacks an organic, logical sense of momentum and feels arbitrary. The way the game hops back and forth between timelines and scenarios is poorly done and, at times, even tiresome. I really don't like the Terragrigia stuff. It's a shame, because the Queen Zenobia is a really great location for RE, much more foreboding and atmospheric than the Spencer Rain was, for example. Overall, it's decent, and worth playing, and Raid Mode is ace.

Both games are equally valid as gaming experiences, and imo equally great. But the original holds a special place in my heart because it came out of nowhere and made me fall ecstatically head over heels in love from day one. It's an absolute masterpiece.
Good rationale, and always interesting to see someone present an alternate viewpoint and go against the grain with your love of RE6.

1. Resident Evil (2002)
2. Resident Evil Director's Cut
3. Resident Evil (1996)
4. Resident Evil CODE: Veronica
5. Resident Evil 2 (1998)
6. Resident Evil 3 (1999)
7. Resident Evil Zero

sncvsrtoip

Taking into account reception it got when released best are re1, re2, code veronica(dreamcast), re4 and probably re2 remake

Last edited:
Top Bottom