• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil has such a bad and outdated feature it doesn't fly anymore in present day and Capcom should really stop it already

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Pennywise

Banned
dlc_img01.png
dlc_img02.png

dlc_img03.png
dlc_img04.png

Seriously, Capcom is actually charging for this.

Costumes are tradition in the Resident Evil franchise. Unlocking them and playing with new official costumes made by the devs was cool... 20 years ago.

It bolstered replayability on games that were design flawed for replay value (once you know how to go, you just blast through it). So costumes were a nice adition and a good excuse to do multiple runs. Even more so when said costumes changed gameplay stuff, like in Code Veronica Battle Mode where different costumes brought different loadouts, or even OG RE4 where Ashley's Knight Armor costume made her become invincible and Leon gangster which fitted the use of the Tommy Gun.

But on today's gaming age, this is absurd and non-sense. First, these cosmetics are not bolstering replayability anymore, as they're locked behind a paywall. Second, who doesn't like cool alternate costumes? We're in the era of cosmetics MTX where e-fashion rules, right? Right!? NO! This is a single player game, none besides you will see said costume. And even in big GaaS games where costumes are sold plenty, they come with more and more stuff to appeal to the player, like new particle effects and/or animations attached to this skins.
Third, despite being just you looking at the costume, what's the point in having to catter to Capcom's ideas of 'cool' costumes? Seriously, for example those costumes of REM4KE are awful.
And forth and most important of all, here's the real deal: I could play as John Wick if I wished, I could play way more cooler costumes (and yes, put a plethora of weird filters too), because you know what? It's 2023 and there's an army of awesome people that makes awesome MODS, just like original definitive classic Jill costume and Julia Voth model, or classic Nemesis head, or classic Carlos reskin. Like, seriously, just look at all this edgy skins pack for Resident Evil 2 Remake that make that punk Ashley skin look like amateur stuff. And of course, A TON of others I won't link here.

So yeah, this is old, outadated, and doesn't cut it anymore. Capcom should get on with the times and try to do something better in this regard.

radewagon

Capcom has been consistently releasing top tier games where, once I've played them, I feel as though I got my money's worth. Moreover, they don't even need a carrot to get me to replay them. REVII, REVIII, and RE2 Remake... I loaded up a new game the second I beat them. So, yeah, I'll give them a free pass on some light microtransactions.

Aranea

The costumes offered as DLC look bad. But if you are on PC those DLC costumes slots are useful for the modding community when they create new costumes. I will be honest when i said i miss the old Capcom that sold much more better looking DLC costumes on the Resident Evil games.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
-Resident Evil has to stop this ONE OUTDATED MECHANIC! Details inside!

-GAF users hate him because of these three simple tricks!

-Resident Evil 4 Remake director and his shitty team touched my balls (see thread) NOT CLICKBAIT

*thread*
The Resident Evil 4 Remake director and his shitty team touched my balls. I had set my gym bag containing my grandfather's vintage bowling balls down on the ground right in front of Capcom HQ's front doors. After six hours, these assholes FORCIBLY REMOVED my balls from their entryway. MY BALLS

-Mods if your mother fucked more than one man you won't delete this thread about how Resident Evil 4 burned my house down because of how shitty it is

Ideas for your future threads. ^ Thank me later.

Rykan

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to express my opinion about the recent complaints regarding the optional costumes in Resident Evil 4. I personally think that complaining about them is completely unnecessary and, frankly, a waste of time.

Firstly, the costumes are completely optional. You don't have to buy them if you don't want to. It's as simple as that. The game can still be enjoyed in its entirety without them, so why complain about something that is completely avoidable?

Secondly, the costumes are just that - costumes. They don't affect the gameplay or the story in any way. They are purely cosmetic and are meant to be a fun addition to the game. So why not just enjoy them for what they are?

In my opinion, people need to stop complaining about trivial things like optional costumes and focus on the actual gameplay and story of the game. That's what really matters.

So let's all just relax, have fun playing Resident Evil 4, and if you don't like the optional costumes, simply don't buy them. It's as easy as that.

Thanks for reading, and I hope you all have a great day!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to express my opinion about the recent complaints regarding the optional costumes in Resident Evil 4. I personally think that complaining about them is completely unnecessary and, frankly, a waste of time.

Firstly, the costumes are completely optional. You don't have to buy them if you don't want to. It's as simple as that. The game can still be enjoyed in its entirety without them, so why complain about something that is completely avoidable?

Secondly, the costumes are just that - costumes. They don't affect the gameplay or the story in any way. They are purely cosmetic and are meant to be a fun addition to the game. So why not just enjoy them for what they are?

In my opinion, people need to stop complaining about trivial things like optional costumes and focus on the actual gameplay and story of the game. That's what really matters.

So let's all just relax, have fun playing Resident Evil 4, and if you don't like the optional costumes, simply don't buy them. It's as easy as that.

This, and thread can be ended.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Hello everyone,

So let's all just relax, have fun playing Resident Evil 4, and if you don't like the optional costumes, simply don't buy

Calm. Reasonable. Well mannered.

Run, boy.

I've been replaying REmake 2 & 3 and I couldn't help but laugh at how there was only ONE unlockable costume in 3. I don't remember how many there were in the OG RE3 but it was definitely more than one lol

But that's just modern gaming for ya.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

i'd say that this's worthy of new thread...

Three

Let me guess, you'd rather they sell the costumes as mtx for the modern audience and not have rewards for completing the game.
Wait they are mtx?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The costumes help lighten the mood when you’re replaying the game for the X time. I didn’t understand it until I started replaying a lot of games. I used Cowboy Claire in Revelations 2.

Please stop hating on RE4.

Last edited:

SZips

This topic and concern are bad and you should feel bad.

I look forward to subsequent play throughs with these alternate costumes and whatever other unlocks there are.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
dlc_img01.png
dlc_img02.png

dlc_img03.png
dlc_img04.png

Seriously, Capcom is actually charging for this.

Costumes are tradition in the Resident Evil franchise. Unlocking them and playing with new official costumes made by the devs was cool... 20 years ago.

It bolstered replayability on games that were design flawed for replay value (once you know how to go, you just blast through it). So costumes were a nice adition and a good excuse to do multiple runs. Even more so when said costumes changed gameplay stuff, like in Code Veronica Battle Mode where different costumes brought different loadouts, or even OG RE4 where Ashley's Knight Armor costume made her become invincible and Leon gangster which fitted the use of the Tommy Gun.

But on today's gaming age, this is absurd and non-sense. First, these cosmetics are not bolstering replayability anymore, as they're locked behind a paywall. Second, who doesn't like cool alternate costumes? We're in the era of cosmetics MTX where e-fashion rules, right? Right!? NO! This is a single player game, none besides you will see said costume. And even in big GaaS games where costumes are sold plenty, they come with more and more stuff to appeal to the player, like new particle effects and/or animations attached to this skins.
Third, despite being just you looking at the costume, what's the point in having to catter to Capcom's ideas of 'cool' costumes? Seriously, for example those costumes of REM4KE are awful.
And forth and most important of all, here's the real deal: I could play as John Wick if I wished, I could play way more cooler costumes (and yes, put a plethora of weird filters too), because you know what? It's 2023 and there's an army of awesome people that makes awesome MODS, just like original definitive classic Jill costume and Julia Voth model, or classic Nemesis head, or classic Carlos reskin. Like, seriously, just look at all this edgy skins pack for Resident Evil 2 Remake that make that punk Ashley skin look like amateur stuff. And of course, A TON of others I won't link here.

So yeah, this is old, outadated, and doesn't cut it anymore. Capcom should get on with the times and try to do something better in this regard.

I understand your frustration with Capcom charging for costumes in the Resident Evil franchise. However, I respectfully disagree with some of the points you have raised.

Firstly, while costumes may have been a tradition in the franchise 20 years ago, that does not mean they are no longer a valuable addition to the game. Many players still enjoy unlocking and playing with new costumes, even if they are behind a paywall. In fact, for some players, the added challenge of unlocking costumes through gameplay adds to the replayability of the game.

Secondly, you mention that no one besides the player will see the costumes in a single-player game. While that may be true, players still enjoy the sense of personalization and self-expression that comes with choosing and equipping different outfits. This is why cosmetic MTX are so popular in many games, regardless of whether they are single-player or multiplayer.

Thirdly, you criticize Capcom's ideas of "cool" costumes and mention that some of the costumes in Resident Evil 4 Remake are awful. However, opinions on what constitutes a "cool" costume are subjective and vary from player to player. Just because you do not like a particular costume does not mean that it is universally disliked. In addition, Capcom is a business and will naturally try to create costumes that will appeal to the widest audience possible.

Finally, while mods are indeed a popular way for players to customize their gaming experience, they are not accessible or feasible for all players. Many players simply do not have the technical knowledge or resources to create and install mods, and may prefer the convenience of official DLC costumes.

In conclusion, while I understand your frustration with paying for costumes in Resident Evil, I believe that costumes still have value and appeal to many players. Capcom is simply catering to their audience, and there are valid reasons why players may prefer official DLC costumes over mods.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Is there some kind of weird RE acceptance copy pasta that I don't know about?

Edit: -You won't believe what the doctor told me I contracted because of RE4's shitty controls. It could happen to you!

-Quintuple dipping? Is RE4 a Capitalist hamster wheel? YOU decide

Come on OP. We need another thread.

Last edited:

Comandr

What an awful take. In a world dominated by predatory micro transactions, I'm thankful that Capcom is only capitalizing on additional sales potential with completely innocuous cosmetic DLC that offers ZERO gameplay advantage. There is no pressure whatsoever to purchase any additional content because it offers no gameplay advantage or enhancement. Thank god its not like EXCLUSIVE MISSIONS or SINGLE USE WEAPON UPGRADE KIT. I'm looking at you, SEGA. Included and unlockable costumes WAS fun back in the day, but its a different time now. In four months you'll be able to play as Thicc Aloy and The Terminator and some fuckin V-Tuber anyway thanks to mods so...Get the fuck over it.

AMSCD

Hello everyone,

Was this Chatgpt?

Soodanim

Gold Member
For better or worse, this thread seems slightly less like an obvious troll thread than the other RE4 one. It won't be as successful as bait, because the opinion is too generic and bland for people to get passionate about with the responses. RE4 is shit? Fuck you, I love it and here's 20 reasons why. Capcom has unlockable costumes? Okay, you're obviously a clown and there's not much more to say about the matter because I don't care enough to say.

But it's okay, they can't all be winners. Learn from it and come back stronger. You can do it. I believe in you. Be the master troll you want to be.

Braag

I agree they should be unlocks and not paywalled. But at least they are not locked behing some stupid bs like battle pass.
I do wish more games had unlockable costumes and shit again.

Jinjo

Teslerum

The only thing I agree on is that hiding skins/costumes behind mtx/paywall is a terrible practice. But that's hardly a Residrnt Evil only problem, but a general industry cancer.

Last edited:

Esppiral

I understand your frustration with Capcom's decision to charge for costumes in the Resident Evil franchise, especially since these cosmetics were traditionally a fun addition to the gameplay experience. It seems that in today's gaming age, players expect more from their cosmetic purchases, such as new particle effects, animations, and other features that make the purchase feel more worthwhile.
However, I should point out that the decision to charge for cosmetics is ultimately up to the game developer/publisher. While it may not appeal to everyone, there are still players who are willing to pay for these costumes, even if they are just for their own personal enjoyment. And while mods can provide players with additional costume options, they can also potentially break the game or cause other issues.
That being said, it is important for game developers to listen to their players and adapt to changing consumer expectations. Perhaps Capcom could consider offering more value-added features with their cosmetic purchases, or explore other ways to enhance the replayability of their games. It is ultimately up to them to decide how best to balance the interests of their players with the financial realities of the industry.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
This is just optional crap and not very expensive. Should be unlockable but well... I am not buying it anyway

Drizzlehell

Banned
The only thing that sucks here (besides OP) is the fact that costumes are paid DLC these days, when it used to be an unlockable reward that you got for completing the game's challenges, which also increased their replayability.

artsi

I think there are free optional costumes in RE4 remake just like in the original game there is the Leon RPD costume.

These DLC's are additional to those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom