• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

Grief.exe

This is awesome! I never got the chance to play RE:Remake. I'm not too thrilled about it not being a true source rework though. Situations like this push me to get the PC version over the console version. I'm hoping that Capcom will allow support for resolutions higher than 1080p on the PC (probably not lol); if so, I'm sure downsampling will help to further improve the visual quality. Paying full price though is hard to swallow for the results we're getting.

Not particularly. Downsampling really shines when games are natively rendering 3D assets. With the prerendered backgrounds, you are just stretching the image.

Get the PC version for the modding potential.

Weren't the original controls excellent? Generally when I go into LTTP REmake threads, people are praising the tank controls.

I liked the type C, where you basically use the right trigger like a gas pedal if that makes any sense. For some reason Capcom took it out of Zero though. I think the N64 port of re2 had full 3d analog controls but I always wondered how that would work with all the quick background cuts in these games.

I took some screenshots of REmake in Wii emulator of similar scenes like the official screenshots. Here's what I got:
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93881607532/comparisons-of-remastered-with-remake-wii
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93882202437/some-more-comparisons-of-remastered-and-remake

There's definitely a huge improvement with the character models, and the shading/lighting on the characters is almost entirely different. The new lighting may stand out more in places, but it definitely looks much nicer.

Here is the issue I'm having with the lighting here, and in games like RE5. Look at the Hall of Mirrors. In the original shot, it's musky, dark, and has this heavy atmosphere to it. Now take a look at the 'remaster' shot.

Bright, clean, and rather nonexistence in presence if it weren't for the shiny spears.

Lighting is great, but its been used oddly in the past few RE games (and looks to be again).

Edit: Then again, things are darker likely due to limitations.

Yay I guess. It will be nice but no one was asking for this.

It will be funny to see a bunch of people complaining about how they have to change the direction of where their character is heading every 3 seconds when they play with the modern control scheme, that will be a mess.

Limited edition for Japan
PfntqNg.png

11.111 円

Anyone got a link to preorder the limited or collectors edition? Will a shop like play-asia stock these editions?

Grief.exe

Now I want RE 2 too. Just played some year ago on my pc emulator.

what about 2 3 and 4?

Hopefully this rerelease finds success and Capcom puts a small team on a REmake 2.

Hopefully go PC/current-gen with 3D backgrounds rather than pre-rendered.

A remaster of RE4 is not necessary. The recent PC port is excellent. Even brings back,some graphical effects that have been exclusive to Nintendo hardware and 60 FPS.

Seik

Banned
Oh cool a new Resident E-OH WAIT. It's another re-release of the Resident Evil remake for the gamecube with updated graphics. Hooray! Excellent! Fantastic!

Just kidding. I'll pass on this.

Oh no another shit pos- OH WAIT! It actually has a very good opinion with valid points and criticisms. Excellent! Yay!

Just kidding. Your post was shit.

jblank83

I'll just replay it in Dolphin with better rendering options.

Nice that it's coming to PC, though. Will eventually pick it up there.

ciD_Vain

Oh my goodness yes. Wish the WiiU was getting it for the people who don't have the other systems but I'm in for the PS4 version!

Persona7

Banned
This sucks. I wish they would apply the bare minimum effort and outsource the backgrounds and get high quality HD versions but oh well.

Three years ago, Gamasutra wrote an article titled "Where Games Go To Sleep: The Game Preservation Crisis". It was released in three parts (you can read them here, here and here. It is a great read and a recommend it to everyone.

In the process of writing that article, John Andersen, the author, sent questionnaires to multiple video game comanies. Capcom was one of those companies and one of its employees, Ben Judd from Capcom Japan, answered it. Here's the transcript:

Ben Judd – Producer
Capcom Japan

1. Is it important for Capcom to preserve its video games for future audiences?

Yes. If for no other reason then to make sure we don’t forget our roots.

2. Movie studios preserve their film negatives by storing them in special vaults to protect them from natural disasters and other harmful elements such as humidity. Does Capcom preserve their source code, hardware, and production materials* in special vaults or locations to protect them from natural disasters and harmful elements? *These production materials can include: Instruction booklets, marketing assets (print advertisements, TV commercials), and any or all production/development materials (character designs, dialogue scripts, and level layout designs).

Capcom does have a procedure for preserving their code. However, these procedures, like many other Japanese publishers were not instituted until around the 16 bit days. I have actually seen massive stacks of dot-matrix printer paper that contained game code on them.

On a side note, I've heard of incidents of old game ROMS from other publishers that have disappeared and are forever lost. I was quite surprised to initially hear this but I was even more shocked when I found out that it is quite common for code for a lot of big name 8-bit titles from other publishers to be gone.

3. With regards to video games, the greatest threat to video game source code is data/bit loss, and overall hardware failure and/or obsolescence. Could Capcom explain any specific challenges of maintaining, transferring or retrieving video game source code from the 1980's or early 1990's hardware/media? (An example is transferring data from floppy magnetic disks that are vulnerable to damage over to new and more reliable present-day storage media).

We have begun modernizing some of our old code by copying it over but still no storage medium is free from natural degradation that occurs and as games get bigger and bigger, there are a lot of assets you need to store.

4. Should the video game industry and its related industry organizations work together to research solutions on how to properly preserve, archive and store video game source code and production materials?

There are certainly financial gains to be had for one such solution. The biggest problem is that right now, things appear to be ok. I say “appear” because you never really know at exactly what rate data will begin breaking down or become unusable. No major problems have occurred yet and with reverse-engineering we have been able to get back some of the code that was lost. This isn’t the optimal solution but again, until a major problem occurs, it’s the solution the gaming industry will probably stick with.

Special Question Specifically For Capcom

5. Capcom has released a couple of volumes of its classic arcade/coin-op video games, most notably Capcom Classics Collection and Capcom Classics Collection Volume 2. These two volumes combined contained over 42 Capcom games. Does Capcom have any future plans to release any further volumes of Capcom Classics Collection that may contain any new arcade/coin-op games that were previously un-released?

I personally haven’t heard of any new plans but the Capcom Classic Collections have done quite well for us so it’s totally possible.

Will DL when/if it hits $20 or less.

I love REmake, but unless there is a wealth of new content to this 'remaster' (I doubt it), I'm not going to take Capcom's bait.

anthn

Really excited about this. Can a RE2 remaster be far behind?

I was initially conflicted about remasters, but ultimately I think they are a pretty good idea. I started coming around when I started thinking about them like an old DVD getting a new high definition scan.

I took some screenshots of REmake in Wii emulator of similar scenes like the official screenshots. Here's what I got:
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93881607532/comparisons-of-remastered-with-remake-wii
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93882202437/some-more-comparisons-of-remastered-and-remake

There's definitely a huge improvement with the character models, and the shading/lighting on the characters is almost entirely different. The new lighting may stand out more in places, but it definitely looks much nicer.

The character models definitely look much better. But I feel like I prefer the REmake backgrounds then the Remaster simply because the Remaster looks as though they applied a massive sharpening filter to it.

jesu

Ooh so this turned out to be true.
I'll give it a go, the controls in 4 stopped me enjoying that, maybe I'll have scary fun with this one.

Flarin

Will DL when/if it hits $20 or less.

I love REmake, but unless there is a wealth of new content to this 'remaster' (I doubt it), I'm not going to take Capcom's bait.

I was just talking to my buddy over at Capcom and that's likely going to be the price. Also, digital only. Get your import pre-orders in now, people.

Sylver

Banned
Anyone got a link to preorder the limited or collectors edition? Will a shop like play-asia stock these editions?

give them time is due to be released on early 2015. Check in couple of days, sure play-asia and the other major import retailers will get them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I took a shot in dolphin, cropped it, added noise like they seem to be using, and change the hues to be a similar color. This is all stuff that would be pretty trivial to do real time in game.

dolphin_vs_hd_by_aloo81-d7tsx9d.gif

It seems like they're adding a LOT of contrast to the backgrounds. What used to be noticeable details before is now flat blacks in this new HD one.

The character's textures seem much improved though.

The Hermit

I know :/

Seriously what did the people expect? They redo all the backgrounds of the game from the scratch to 1080p ?!

Stop complaining and let's wait for more footage specially for PS4 / XBOX1.

When I read the title I actually expected this...and all threads before of people asking for a Remake HD ended up with " too bad Capcom will probably just upscale the background, but I would be ok with that I just want to play that game again"

now that we have that, people actually expected a remake of a remake...pls

Hopefully this rerelease finds success and Capcom puts a small team on a REmake 2.

Hopefully go PC/current-gen with 3D backgrounds rather than pre-rendered.
*Hope Intensifies*

Glad that they are doing this, now I'll finally be able to do a FULL playthrough of this one on my own (shared saves with brothers back in the day). Would have liked a remake of 2 or even a remaster of Outbreak 1 or 2 with fully functional online, but I'll take this as well, some good old REAL survival horror.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I know :/

Seriously what did the people expect? They redo all the backgrounds of the game from the scratch to 1080p ?!

Stop complaining and let's wait for more footage specially for PS4 / XBOX1.

I absolutely expected that they would re-render the backgrounds at at least 1440x1080, but ideally 1920x1440.

Sectus

Here is the issue I'm having with the lighting here, and in games like RE5. Look at the Hall of Mirrors. In the original shot, it's musky, dark, and has this heavy atmosphere to it. Now take a look at the 'remaster' shot.

Bright, clean, and rather nonexistence in presence if it weren't for the shiny spears.

Lighting is great, but its been used oddly in the past few RE games (and looks to be again).

Edit: Then again, things are darker likely due to limitations.

Yeah, there's some scenes which looks very different in atmosphere. But if I were to choose, I would definitely go with the new graphics. I especially like the new character models.

I hope there's other improvements too. For instance, please let me skip door animations!

I noticed something. It looks like a new basement map was added. Just look at it.

Wii port running on Dolphin

"Remaster"

It looks like it was drawn by a 3-year old on a cardboard. It might as well be emblematic of this entire project. lol

I'm very sure that's an item which is picked up in my screenshot, but not in the screenshot of new version.

Seik

Banned
I took a shot in dolphin, cropped it, added noise like they seem to be using, and change the hues to be a similar color. This is all stuff that would be pretty trivial to do real time in game.

dolphin_vs_hd_by_aloo81-d7tsx9d.gif

It seems like they're adding a LOT of contrast to the backgrounds. What used to be noticeable details before is now flat blacks in this new HD one.

The character's textures seem much improved though.

The remaster looking real good.

Hype rising.

Still better then RE6 or 5 sadly, and likely (but hopefully not) better then whatever 7 ends up being

It beats the pants off 5 and 6 storywise as well as fright factor. Fighting wise, 5 and 6 are vastly superior action wise, but I would have like to seen some effort given to incorporating good old fashioned puzzles in some areas. 5 attempted to do that in some areas, but it was lacking what the earlier games.

That being said, I would rather have something new added to the series that incorporates the more interesting stories (to me personally) of the original trilogy and to some extent code veronica (with a dash of 4) plus some nice puzzles thrown in for good measure and the superior combat that 5 and 6 brought into one nice big package that would be Resident Evil 7.

I don't want another rehash of the remake. I played it plenty on the gamecube multiple times and loved every second of it. At most, they should have kept it as is and released it as a $4.99 digital classics port on all the major platforms.

Megatron

So Resident Evil: Re-Remake.
I'm kinda already disappointed if this is just RE1 they should have thrown all 3, and maybe Zero, on a disk for 60$. Whatever will buy if/when the price is fair.
they're ps1 games. You can't just up red the assets. They have to be completely remade. No way they do all that work for one release imo.

Hopefully this does lead to us finally getting an re2 remake.

The character models definitely look much better. But I feel like I prefer the REmake backgrounds then the Remaster simply because the Remaster looks as though they applied a massive sharpening filter to it.

REmaster looks cleaner than REmake; however, the balmier air in REmake's images lend to a heavier permeating, oppressive atmosphere.

I'm hoping the game doesn't look too clean actually. I know HD brings crispy visuals but part of the charm of Biohazard on CRT was the infidelity of non-HD graphics mixed with CRT imperfections. It fit the game well.

There's kind of a grainyness to that kitchen area that I remember liking a lot. I'm starting to think the GC version on CRT will be the best version of the game visually.

Tripon

The good news for all of this is that this should push the price of the RE Remake Wii version down to under $10 at gamestop.

Top Bottom