• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

-MD-

No Move control scheme no buy. RE4 on Wii was great. All these games should be brought over with psmove support for PS3 and PS4 where there is even greater accuracy and immersion...you know it's not only possible but relatively cheap and easy to implement.

Lol oh my god just never post in this thread again please.

Neff

I wonder if this is one of Capcom's infamous 'tests'?

I think it is. While I don't realistically think we're going to see something as decadent as a full-on RE2 remake as a result of this if it's successful, re-releasing what is largely agreed to be the most accomplished and explicitly horror-themed game in the series (if not the best-selling) will be a good measuring tool for gauging response to horror in RE, especially after so many complained about the relative lack of horror in 5 and 6. While those games did sell very well, most of the complaints came from fans of the older titles, and I think Capcom knows that modern AAA games aren't necessarily future-proof, and keeping your fans happy is smarter long term.

I feel like this announcement is like the "SHOTSFIRED.jpg".

There's a machine in the REmake game that looks exactly like the GameCube console. I always thought that it shows how this game is definitely exclusive to GameCube/Nintendo, just like how MGS: Twin Snakes is exclusive to Nintendo because of the Mario and Yoshi figurines in the game. Porting and remastering the game to PS/XB consoles and the PC and not to Wii U is a mystery to me.

Rare's BK games on 360 have N64s and Gameboys in them, which seems not to have been a problem, so I don't think this will be either.

BBboy20

No Move control scheme no buy. RE4 on Wii was great. All these games should be brought over with psmove support for PS3 and PS4 where there is even greater accuracy and immersion...you know it's not only possible but relatively cheap and easy to implement.
image.php

In regards of talks about REmake 2: does anybody at Capcom have what it takes anymore? I mean, it's cool those who worked on REmake are still at Capcom but are they able to craft their own masterpiece if they were to try to go after 2? If they do, I hope they treat it in the same intensity and focus when they made REmake 1.

Do you know what this game even is?

Maybe he thinks it's Umbrella Chronicles? It's already on PS3 though...with move support.

Or, more depressingly, maybe there are some people that only know Resident Evil as the third person shooters the series has become, and assumed that the older games were like that too.

Pritchardo

Neo Member

UGGGHH how would that work exactly?

Haunted

6 years from 1996 to 2002, and they gave us that fantastic update, bringing one of their best classic games into a new generation with a bang. 12 years later - double the time - and we get some half-assed update shit like this.

Where's the ambition? Where's the pride?

;_;7 RIP PS2/GC-era Capcom.

6 years from 1996 to 2002, and they gave us that fantastic update, bringing one of their best classic games into a new generation with a bang. 12 years later - double the time - and we get some half-assed update shit like this.

This. The whole it's just a Remaster/Remake thing just doesn't cut it here. The REmake was remade from the ground up with less time. Over a decade passes and it's too much to expect re-rendered backgrounds. I'm gonna wait for an official trailer, because so far the pics shown don't display a lot of effort. :/

ChapaNDJ

Banned
I'm glad they are at least doing it, hope RE: 0 gets the same treatment.
If this is a way to pave the road for a possible remake of RE2 and Nemesis, i welcome it.

-MD-

This. The whole it's just a Remaster/Remake thing just doesn't cut it here. The REmake was remade from the ground up with less time. Over a decade passes and it's too much to expect re-rendered backgrounds. I'm gonna wait for an official trailer, because so far the pics shown don't display a lot of effort. :/

If they did that we'd probably be looking at a 60 dollar game as it'd require a whole lot more effort on their part. As of now this is looking more like a 20 or 30 dollar game.

People are never satisfied.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

That's how I feel. All this discussion of photoshop filters and expenses hasn't really made me feel any better about what I see as a total lack of quality going into things. I don't really accept some FALCON filter on old pixel art games as a "remaster" and neither do I accept such a thing here. Looking at the screenshots, all of the images appear heavily altered and almost cartoony - nothing like the mindblowing way it appeared on the Gamecube many years ago.

I'm sure the original files were lost a long time ago as Japanese companies were historically awful at keeping their stuff together, but I just can't get excited or behind this. It's like being given a cheap DVD upscale on a blu-ray instead of the Criterion Collection treatment. The game itself may be schlocky, but it is truly deserving of some serious care in bringing it back. I don't care if Capcom is using this as a test. You've got to earn my money and this certainly isn't it.

If they did that we'd probably be looking at a 60 dollar game as it'd require a whole lot more effort on their part. As of now this is looking more like a 20 or 30 dollar game.

People are never satisfied.

With all the full price remakes/remasters coming out these days, I don't think that would be a problem.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Say what?

I suppose I should say the game's story is. It was pretty campy then and still is now, but it had good atmosphere to cover up some of that. Later games in the series were less good about this until RE4 took it and ran with it. I do not mean it as an insult to the game. It's just not exactly some high-art masterpiece, which goes back to my comment on Criterion Collection-esque remasterings.

Don't worry, I love the game dearly and I still have my original copies to this day.

i8CbeoUq0THqD.jpg

bryanee

giphy.gif

I'm actually really itching to play RE0 since this was announced, I don't remember rating it all that highly but I would like to try it again. Maybe they'll do that one next if this does well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
giphy.gif

I'm actually really itching to play RE0 since this was announced, I don't remember rating it all that highly but I would like to try it again. Maybe they'll do that one next if this does well.
RE0 is bad compared to the good RE games. It's in RE5 tier.

fart town usa

Gold Member

Lol oh my god just never post in this thread again please.

Do you know what this game even is?

Lol, made my night right here.

This fucking thread. I'm gonna have to play some RE4 now. If only Code Veronica wasn't so expensive on the PSN store.

What a steal that was selling them both for 10 a pop on release day years ago.
And this thread was a roller coaster, everyone went from stoked to the announcement, to yelling lazy worse looking port job, then when people started looking deeper and seeing enhancements they love it again. Never change.

RedSwirl

1) It would be a $60 game.

2) A Resident Evil Remake in 2014 would probably be an over-the-shoulder action game like RE6. Even back in 2002 enough people were willing to pay full price for a game with pre-rendered backgrounds and tank controls. No publisher in 2014 would greenlight a full retail game like that.

Seik

Banned
RE0 is bad compared to the good RE games. It's in RE5 tier.

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

Nope, I don't even know where to start, but come on.

RE0 has some charms, it's not the best, ok, but it's above RE5 at the very least. Personally, I loved it and I hope it'll be next if REmaster has any kind of success.

killatopak

Gold Member

WOAH!

I take it you've never played this game before or any of the PS1 mainline games?

-MD-

I haven't played RE0 since it released but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I've been seeing a lot of people bash it lately though. I can't chime in because it's been too long.

I'm gonna have to do another playthrough on Dolphin soon to see what the deal is.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nope, nope, nope, nope.

RE0 has some charms, it's not the best, ok, but it's above RE5 at the very least. Personally, I loved it and I hope it'll be next if REmaster has any kind of success.

It's better than 5 but it's in bad company. At least 5 has co op.

RhyDin

So much is lost in the cropping.

Indeed! If the source files stay intact, though, is it not possible we could see a mod for the PC version which could fix or improve the cropping?

It's very disappointing that quick upscales and photoshops by people in this thread are better than the official sample shots given for the announcement. There's still a lot of time for improvement, though, so hopefully each room is catered to individually.

Great thread, by the way.

Davey Cakes

I enjoyed RE0. I think the cooperative gameplay was interesting.

I was able to finish it, at least. Can't say the same for Code Veronica.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Maybe there is a misunderstanding between posters but I don't think people are asking for REmake to be remade from the ground up AGAIN.

I think people are asking for REmake to be ported, except the backgrounds to be re-rendered at an appropriate resolution.

Stretching 512x448 resolution images up to 1920x1440 is a pretty crappy way to release an HD remaster.

About 90% of this games visuals are the backgrounds. If they have the ability to render them again, they should. More importantly, if they had the ability to render them again and as a result had the ability to sell a game in 2014 that looked like this

re_background_1920_by_aloo81-d7u4qke.jpg

I think people would very readily eat that up because that is a huge upgrade from the GC game and if the rendering tools still worked appropriately on modern hardware, could probably be done more quickly than it would take when the game originally launched.

I think if the option is late 2014 release and upscaled backgrounds or late 2015 release and they figure out a way to port their rendering tools up to modern hardware, or whatever needs to be done to render again, it would absolutely be worth the effort and price increase to purchase a version with actual HD rendered backgrounds.

It's not equivalent to other games where you have to remake the assets. If they still have the source files, they wouldn't have to make any of the backgrounds new from scratch. They would just need to render it out again and include the high res versions.

That screenshot above shows that even then, they were capable of rendering the game out at extreme resolutions, so it's not that the tools are limited to 512x448 resolution or anything.

Just scaling the backgrounds would be disappointing. Rerendering them would truly bring this game on par with current gen titles. It would be a breath of fresh air for all the people experiencing the game for the first time because it's so different from modern titles, and it would be a gigantic visual upgrade for all the people who have played before but now get to see all the lush detail that was actually hidden in the environments.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding between posters but I don't think people are asking for REmake to be remade from the ground up AGAIN.

I think people are asking for REmake to be ported, except the backgrounds to be re-rendered at an appropriate resolution.

Stretching 512x448 resolution images up to 1920x1440 is a pretty crappy way to release an HD remaster.

About 90% of this games visuals are the backgrounds. If they have the ability to render them again, they should. More importantly, if they had the ability to render them again and as a result had the ability to sell a game in 2014 that looked like this

I think people would very readily eat that up because that is a huge upgrade from the GC game and if the rendering tools still worked appropriately on modern hardware, could probably be done more quickly than it would take when the game originally launched.

I think if the option is late 2014 release and upscaled backgrounds or late 2015 release and they figure out a way to port their rendering tools up to modern hardware, or whatever needs to be done to render again, it would absolutely be worth the effort and price increase to purchase a version with actual HD rendered backgrounds.

It's not equivalent to other games where you have to remake the assets. If they still have the source files, they wouldn't have to make any of the backgrounds new from scratch. They would just need to render it out again and include the high res versions.

That screenshot above shows that even then, they were capable of rendering the game out at extreme resolutions, so it's not that the tools are limited to 512x448 resolution or anything.

Just scaling the backgrounds would be disappointing. Rerendering them would truly bring this game on par with current gen titles. It would be a breath of fresh air for all the people experiencing the game for the first time because it's so different from modern titles, and it would be a gigantic visual upgrade for all the people who have played before but now get to see all the lush detail that was actually hidden in the environments.

That image is so sexy.

To see a game render that in real time, at 1080p and 60 fps is a long way to go, and to think people believe in that diminishing returns crap.

Why can't Resident Evil go back to this formula. I'll be honest I barely even like RE4. I mean its good as its own game but it still doesn't hold a candle to the first three. I really didn't like any of the new style iterations.

Some shots look better than others. It really depends on the environments being upscaled.

I also think - that when playing this game on a TV when you are sitting a good 6 to 12 feet away (sofa distance) some of the artifacts won't be as noticeable as opposed to looking at them right infront of your comp. monitor.

I would absolutely prefer a delay if we could get native-res backgrounds. But as I said before, I'm willing to put money down that they just don't have the original assets anymore.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you've only played one Resident Evil game in your entire life.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member

This is precisely what I want. If the source files are indeed lost then that is one thing, but if they have the means of doing so, I want to see the backgrounds re-rendered. People are saying that the fact that they aren't re-rendering as definitive proof that they don't have the source files, but it could just be a cost saving move. I've seen no indication either way. Somehow a "remaster" with upscaled backgrounds is disappointing to me. But I'm not asking for an entirely new game.

Cubed

They haven't shown the cover art for the retail PS3 version yet, have they?

Soooo hoping they cave and do a PS4 retail version.

I haven't played RE0 since it released but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. I've been seeing a lot of people bash it lately though. I can't chime in because it's been too long.

I'm gonna have to do another playthrough on Dolphin soon to see what the deal is.

I've been playing it for the first time via dolphin recently. I'm not very far, but so far while it has some interesting ideas, ultimately it lacks the impeccable and creative design of REmake from the encounter and level design, to the camera angles. It's still enjoyable but it has none of the spark that the best RE's do. Also the inventory system is kind of a pain. But again, I'm not too far into it et so I may end up liking it better as I progress.

M3d10n

I don't know what people expected. The most egregious is they charging $40 for it, but the odds of them being able to re-render the backgrounds was nil. In the rare chance they do have backups of the original assets used to render the backgrounds, it still would be very hard to re-render them because:

1) They are likely stored in file formats made for old 3D modeling programs.
2) The way lighting and materials work changed a lot in the past 12 years, so even if they managed to open the files it's possible they won't produce the same renders and would require tweaking that pushes this from a "remaster" budget into something else.
3) I doubt the files are neatly organized in a way that would allow people who didn't work with them in the original development cycle to produce usable renders
4) Most backgrounds require more than simply being rendering to be usable: they must be split into layers for foreground objects and the animated backgrounds need their loops setup correctly. It's also likely that many backgrounds underwent photoshop manipulation after the render as part of their pipeline.

People need to come to terms that "HD remaster" is merely a fancy word for "a port to a more powerful system with any enhancements that can fit the port budget". RE4 and RE:CV were full 3D games so all it took was to port the code and do some batch asset conversion.

Lucent

They haven't shown the cover art for the retail PS3 version yet, have they?

Soooo hoping they cave and do a PS4 retail version.

resident-evil-hd-remaster-375231.1.jpg

from Play-Asia.com

As far as we know, the Japanese PS3 version is the only one getting a physical release. Meaning we're not getting it here. Only option right now is to import it.

Valnen

No dancepad support, no buy.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
resident-evil-hd-remaster-375231.1.jpg

from Play-Asia.com

As far as we know, the Japanese PS3 version is the only one getting a physical release. Meaning we're not getting it here. Only option right now is to import it.

image.php

Can't wait. Well, i actually have to wait either way because my PS3 had YLOD 2 months ago and i won't be getting another one for a while.
Definitely getting this for PC as soon as it becomes available to pre-order on Steam. Will also consider a PS4 version if port is not done properly.

Why the hell would you want the cattle currently at Capcom to remake and redesign a classic? Mikami and his team already did an incredible job remaking RE1 and that's all I want. I have absolutely no trust that Capcom would know how to make a game like REmake in 2014. Even if they somehow avoided turning it into a shooter, they'd probably fuck up the balance some other way (too much ammo, weak zombies, etc.).

Same reason why I don't want a RE2make.

Nope, nope, nope, nope.

I wouldn't compare the two but only because I think it's ridiculous to directly compare two completely different games. What I would say, is that RE Zero is by far the worst old school RE game.

Top Bottom