• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

0racle

Maybe its just me looking back on the gamecube release of this title with purple tinted glasses, but man I could have sworn it looked identical to this.

I think I may pass.

GenericUser

I'll buy it. I don't have a gamecube or a wii anymore and I desperately want to play that gem again. If it turns out that the 16:9 res sucks, I'll switch over to 4:3 - what is the problem here?

televator

Can you read Japanese? Cause it'll be that language, not English. I really wanted a physical release. Its Okami HD/RE 4 HD all over again.

Okami had English text in the Asian release, and RE 4 had the English VO. There was literally only like 3 characters in the menus that I had to remeber. They were a sun above hill, little house, and a weird j. :p In my half assed translation those were the save, combine, and use functions.

Anyway speaking of half assing... looks like Capcom is doing it too. Cropped 16:9, 30 FPS, and filtered original backgrounds. Modern shitty Capcom strikes again.

I'm excited for this, its been years since I took out the GameCube to play this and now I won't have to. The game is just timeless still looks fantastic, looking forward to screaming and running away from the crimson heads all over again.

This game on the WiiU would actually be cool, the touch screen map integration etc.

I wish I waited to use the Reggie image now......lol

Ridley327

I'll buy it. I don't have a gamecube or a wii anymore and I desperately want to play that gem again. If it turns out that the 16:9 res sucks, I'll switch over to 4:3 - what is the problem here?

No one is complaining about the aspect ratio at all. What's being discussed is the lack of a proper update to the game, with the backgrounds simply being upscaled from the original FMVs, rather than being re-rendered in a higher resolution. It may not actually be possible for the latter to happen at this point, but the complaints are still warranted.

I told you they didn't archive the source material.

Fucking japanese companies. So unprofessionnal.

When movies release a remastered edition, that means they went back, scanned the film again and got a higher-res image.

When music releases a remastered album, that means they went back to the raw files, twiddled their knobs and mixed the audio again. The definition of remaster: "to make a new master audio recording, now usually digital, from (an earlier recording), to produce compact discs or stereo records with improved sound reproduction."

When games release a remastered video game, I expect them to render what they can at higher resolutions, and recreate what they can't. Otherwise, it's a port.

This HD Remaster is basically releasing a DVD copy of a film on Blu-Ray - but before they do, they throw a few filters over the top. Not only is it worse than the original, but it's in no way appropriate to call it a remaster.

Totally. This is not a "remaster". The term "master" refers to the original development files. So "remastering" something means going back to those original files and recreating a new consumable product from that, and not from an already-released version of that product.

All you fuckers better buy this so Capcom knows that classic RE games are viable and we get a REmake 2 or another game in that style.

Yeah, I will. Even though I'm pissed at Capcom for disrespecting this gem of a game, not buying it would send the message that we don't want this type of game anymore, and that's just not true. Besides, if this ends up selling well, maybe they'll remake RE2 in this style properly. So some good could some out of it.

Please tell me I can just play in 4:3 and not have to deal with this pan and scan bullshit.

Yes you can. No worry. That's what I'll be doing.

Oh cool a new Resident E-OH WAIT. It's another re-release of the Resident Evil remake for the gamecube with updated graphics. Hooray! Excellent! Fantastic!

Just kidding. I'll pass on this.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I was hoping this would mean rerendered HD backgrounds but I'm not sure that's the case.

I ripped the original texture file from the Gamecube version for this, and compared it to their released shot.

nBQvqbe.png

It actually seems like it might be slightly squished downward. It doesn't look like it's rendered at any higher res, but I could of course (and hopefully be) wrong.

Nemesis_

The producer update version mentions that the screenshots are from the current generation version. I assume this refers to PS3/360.

So maybe the 2015 date for the other versions is because they're doing more work on it to be better?

Sectus

I took some screenshots of REmake in Wii emulator of similar scenes like the official screenshots. Here's what I got:
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93881607532/comparisons-of-remastered-with-remake-wii
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93882202437/some-more-comparisons-of-remastered-and-remake

There's definitely a huge improvement with the character models, and the shading/lighting on the characters is almost entirely different. The new lighting may stand out more in places, but it definitely looks much nicer.

Looks good to me in the screens considering what they had to work with. Hopefully the controls aren't crap (and we get a port of RE Zero with non-crap controls next) because this game oozed atmosphere. Can't wait to replay it.

Oh cool a new Resident E-OH WAIT. It's another re-release of the Resident Evil remake for the gamecube with updated graphics. Hooray! Excellent! Fantastic!

Still better then RE6 or 5 sadly, and likely (but hopefully not) better then whatever 7 ends up being

Grief.exe

Looks good to me in the screens considering what they had to work with. Hopefully the controls aren't crap (and we get a port of RE Zero with non-crap controls next) because this game oozed atmosphere. Can't wait to replay it.

Weren't the original controls excellent? Generally when I go into LTTP REmake threads, people are praising the tank controls.

Aaron D.

Awesome news.

OG RE is the game that made me buy a Playstation.

Loved REmake on Cube.

Will Buy new version on Steam.

Yippee!!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This doesn't look too hot but I'm kind of curious to play a classic style RE without shit controls. Digital only release might keep me away from this though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
if just a hd version of the gc game I will skip it until bargain bin price, then go for the ps3 version, as for revelation on the wiiu. I gave already played and enjoied both, so..hopefully this is a sign for future sequels

What a fantastic post /s. Rather have this get out there and see some success in a small way than listen to how amazing RE6 is because Mercenaries is the only thing worthwhile in it.

This may be small consolation to Wii U owners, but you do at least have this game for your system.

And honestly, it's not like you're missing out on some amazing new upgrade here.

True, but I think it's only playable with a Wii classic controller. Plus no gamepad screen play :(

ShadyJ

Weren't the original controls excellent? Generally when I go into LTTP REmake threads, people are praising the tank controls.

The tank controls are half the game, ive played this gamy times and have my original copy i purchased at EB on day 1 release.

I seriously cannot praise this game enough.

Poor wiiu. It's finally over, not even this or small stuff from ubi like valiant hearts or other digital titles. Don't give up though little lad... :(

Newboi

This is awesome! I never got the chance to play RE:Remake. I'm not too thrilled about it not being a true source rework though. Situations like this push me to get the PC version over the console version. I'm hoping that Capcom will allow support for resolutions higher than 1080p on the PC (probably not lol); if so, I'm sure downsampling will help to further improve the visual quality. Paying full price though is hard to swallow for the results we're getting.

Neiteio

Holy fucking shit, if the new control option works as they say (sounds like movement during the fixed-camera bits in OoT), then I am so IN.

Sylver

Banned
I took some screenshots of REmake in Wii emulator of similar scenes like the official screenshots. Here's what I got:
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93881607532/comparisons-of-remastered-with-remake-wii
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93882202437/some-more-comparisons-of-remastered-and-remake

There's definitely a huge improvement with the character models, and the shading/lighting on the characters is almost entirely different. The new lighting may stand out more in places, but it definitely looks much nicer.

Thanks for this. Great improvement.

I don't think "maybe" is even needed at this point. They'd be total morons if they don't.

In the announcement video, one was a designer for REmake, while the other started in the Resident Evil series with RE0.

Might be a coincidence, but who knows. I find it odd that they say they have more to talk about for the game when what else is there to really talk about and show other than some quick gameplay?

From super excited to disappointed in 5 seconds. Fuck you Capcom!

Jesus, this fucking company can't even do a proper remaster nowadays.

zewone

Thanks for this. The REmaster looks much better.

It's pretty much the best implementation of tank controls IMO.
But it's still tank controls.

Giving the option to people is the best thing they could do, in my book.

Top Bottom