• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster confirmed for PS3/PS4/360/XB1/PC

All this talk about the resolution is pointless until we get to see the game running on ps4/xb1.

If they are indeed upscaling the original backgrounds to 720p (achieving mixed results), should we assume that at 1080p it will look even worse?

Why the resolution difference in the first place?

Seyavesh

Gonna have to disagree with all of this, haha. 2 definitely keeps a creepy atmosphere, from the desolate abandoned streets of raccoon city to the abandoned police station that has zombie hands popping out of boarded up windows while creepy ass music plays. It certainly has more action than 1, and you could argue its less creepy overall, but it still has very much the same designe philosophy. RE3 as well. They have the same level progression, slower pace, emphasis on puzzles/exploration, and resource management. The only difference between 1 and 2/3 is that 2&3 throw more enemies at you and give more ammo to compensate.

the way i see it is more along the lines of linear vs. one large area exploration progression path which RE1 has more of vs. RE2/3. like basically in RE1 most of your time is spent in the manor and extensions of the manor (outside, lab underneath) and progression is very back-and-forth between areas which is where a lot of tension is built due to both familiar areas still being potentially dangerous and unfamiliar areas having the unknown. the 'sole survivor' angle and sole environment where you build familiarity lets the designers start fucking with the player with strong sound design (this is a HUGE strength of RE1, for real)

RE2 and 3 are more linear in the sense that you usually don't go through areas enough to gain that familiarity because you're usually just going to grab an item and then backtracking to get to the next new area (or just going straight to the next area). RE3 has more of it (from what i recall? you backtrack through that mid city section i think 3? times) but the 'chaotic city' setting and additional survivors that are waiting for you during the backtracking sections makes it lack that really scary atmosphere RE1 has. plus the more action oriented gameplay mechanics and whatnot

i'm not saying that 2/3 abandon the horror aspect entirely- no RE has done that, not even RE6 believe it or not! it's more than the nature of more action alongside the setting the game takes place in that makes it less scary. the scariest part of RE2 being the police station is basically the same reason as RE1 where it's a lone survivor setting where you backtrack and build familiarity with the area while also not knowing what to expect every time you go.

the pure mechanical designs of 'puzzles' + item collection via exploration still exist because that's what the core gameplay direction is but the broad progression and level design meshes more with RE4's linear progression/exploration for 'puzzles' (though obviously more limited) than RE1's back and forth is what i mean

in regards to why it's less scary ultimately for the tl;dr:
effectively the difference in the 'horror' aspect between the two games and how they're designed is like... RE1 is 'creeping horror' at it's center while RE2 and beyond are more 'exhilarating horror'. those aren't mutually exclusive and all the games have both but the difference in tone really shows between RE1 and RE3 if you play them one after another. creeping horror is inherently more scary because it's not designed to excite/thrill.

the way i see it is more along the lines of linear vs. one large area exploration progression path which RE1 has more of vs. RE2/3. like basically in RE1 most of your time is spent in the manor and extensions of the manor (outside, lab underneath) and progression is very back-and-forth between areas which is where a lot of tension is built due to both familiar areas still being potentially dangerous and unfamiliar areas having the unknown. the 'sole survivor' angle and sole environment where you build familiarity lets the designers start fucking with the player with strong sound design (this is a HUGE strength of RE1, for real)

RE2 and 3 are more linear in the sense that you usually don't go through areas enough to gain that familiarity because you're usually just going to grab an item and then backtracking to get to the next new area (or just going straight to the next area). RE3 has more of it (from what i recall? you backtrack through that mid city section i think 3? times) but the 'chaotic city' setting and additional survivors that are waiting for you during the backtracking sections makes it lack that really scary atmosphere RE1 has. plus the more action oriented gameplay mechanics and whatnot

i'm not saying that 2/3 abandon the horror aspect entirely- no RE has done that, not even RE6 believe it or not! it's more than the nature of more action alongside the setting the game takes place in that makes it less scary. the scariest part of RE2 being the police station is basically the same reason as RE1 where it's a lone survivor setting where you backtrack and build familiarity with the area while also not knowing what to expect every time you go.

the pure mechanical designs of 'puzzles' + item collection via exploration still exist because that's what the core gameplay direction is but the broad progression and level design meshes more with RE4's linear progression/exploration for 'puzzles' (though obviously more limited) than RE1's back and forth is what i mean

in regards to why it's less scary ultimately for the tl;dr:
effectively the difference in the 'horror' aspect between the two games and how they're designed is like... RE1 is 'creeping horror' at it's center while RE2 and beyond are more 'exhilarating horror'. those aren't mutually exclusive and all the games have both but the difference in tone really shows between RE1 and RE3 if you play them one after another. creeping horror is inherently more scary because it's not designed to excite/thrill.

I'd say 2 has roughly as much backtracking/interlocking design as 1. The only really linear section of it is the first 5/10 minutes when you're in the city streets. But I felt like I spent a lot of time in the RPD exploring and re-exploring rooms, and a lot of the jump scares are predicated on backtracking (the hands through the windows won't get you until you come back through the hall). It has the same system of keys as 1 does in order to slowly unlock sections of the RPD as well.

3 is definitely more linear than the other two, but even that I'd say is more akin to 1's design than 4. In 4, the only backtracking that is done is if the game takes you on a linear path back to an area it took you on before (the village at night), whereas in 3 you progress through a wide variety of environments but each one (the city streets, the clock tower, the hospital, the park, etc.) acts as a mini version of the mansion/rpd level design. They each have their own sections to unlock, items to find, and puzzles to solve, and you feel like you get to know each one pretty well by the time you move on (although some areas are quite small).

I also personally think Nemesis maintains the general creepy atmosphere present in the first two because the use of a larger scope (crossing a city rather than one building) is just as isolating because of how lonely it feels. You do meet more survivors, but on the whole you're alone in a great big city for most of the game. Coupled with the creepy soundtrack, and Nemesis's appearances makes it fairly tense game. I agree it's slightly more 'exhilarating horror', though. I think it has a good pace/balance between the creeping moments of dread punctuated by the thrilling chase sequences.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Capcom's scalings shouldn't be commended as good or above and beyond in regards to the background assets.

This game has been announced for 5 days and users have made scaling that was at the very least ALMOST as good and at times noticeably better. And this is as people who probably spent all of a couple hours playing around with different resizing methods. After that's done, it's legitimately just an hour and a half of staring at a loading bar as the filter is applied to all of the backgrounds.

That's a sizable effort for a random internet poster, but that's not anything near good or above and beyond the call of duty.

I think that rerendering the backgrounds is a pretty reasonable and basic expectation someone should have for a game like this coming out in 2014/15.

If for some reason they can't rerender them (and I'm really hoping it is a can't and not a won't) then they should be putting in a much bigger effort than getting backgrounds which look like this

pzoom.jpg

They still have some time. If they do go the scaling old backgrounds route, I hope the backgrounds get a lot more individual treatment than they seem to have been because the example above is rotten bad. You'll only see it for a flash when lightning strikes, but the fact they felt it worth showing off as an example of the games visuals is troubling and could reasonably concern people in regards to the rest of the games visuals.

Sectus

http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/94347226792/so-i-decided-to-take-even-more-comparison
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/94347455577/and-heres-the-remaining-screenshots-i-took-the

I took even more screenshot comparisons. I think a couple are noteworthy:

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o4_1280.png

Someone already pointed it out, but these plants are redone in the new version. And when looking at the original in motion, I'd say it's obvious why, because they look really messy because of animating jpeg compression artifacts.

tumblr_na3mznB1dP1tiz823o2_1280.png

tumblr_na3mznB1dP1tiz823o3_1280.png

Same thing with the foilage here. It's also super messy in the original version with how it animates. Hopefully in the new version they do animate well. Would be a bummer if they decided to be a bit lazy in this regard and make it static.

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o6_1280.png

The character lighting and shading looks so much better in the new version here.

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_na3mu6BbUF1tiz823o10_1280.png

Looks like the intro cutscene is based on a higher quality version than the one used in the Wii version.

My guess is they re-did the transparency stuff because that shit looks so low-res it's practically unshippable in that state. At least they're doing something to not make this be a total disappointment.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This fucking thread. I'm gonna have to play some RE4 now. If only Code Veronica wasn't so expensive on the PSN store.
Did you miss the sale a few weeks back, I think it was only a fiver or something.

TGO

http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/94347226792/so-i-decided-to-take-even-more-comparison
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/94347455577/and-heres-the-remaining-screenshots-i-took-the

Someone already pointed it out, but these plants are redone in the new version. And when looking at the original in motion, I'd say it's obvious why, because they look really messy because of animating jpeg compression artifacts.

Same thing with the foilage here. It's also super messy in the original version with how it animates. Hopefully in the new version they do animate well. Would be a bummer if they decided to be a bit lazy in this regard and make it static.

The character lighting and shading looks so much better in the new version here.

Looks like the intro cutscene is based on a higher quality version than the one used in the Wii version.
There's a lot of microblocking and compression in both shots, would it be fair to judge it based on the current released screens?
They aren't native to even the PS3 are they? Let alone PS4 quality and I find it hard to believe Capcom hasn't released bullshots.

Xpliskin

Sectus you on the NeoGaf steam group ? Add me: Xpliskin

Now the million dollar question is:
Did they alter the actual 3D scene files and rerender, or are we witnessing photoshop skills ?

The chair looks like it's been adjusted (rotated) and the flower pot(actual pot mesh in the scene file ) seems to have been replaced with a new one.

Did they answer the interview question from Rely On Horror ?

Enlil

This might have been discussed already, but does this (maybe) mean Capcom is going to start from the beginning and might remake 2 and 3? or is this just a way to put lots of money into the bank?

It looks like the textures from the STARS team uniforms might have been cleaned up too. Either that, or they're just a lot more detailed for some reason.

Seik

Banned
It looks like the textures from the STARS team uniforms might have been cleaned up too. Either that, or they're just a lot more detailed for some reason.

You're right, I thought it would just be some little things like the STARS logo from the previous Jill render, but looking at the pics a few posts up:

They seem to have pretty much cleaned up/polished everything.

This will be so good! :D

This might have been discussed already, but does this (maybe) mean Capcom is going to start from the beginning and might remake 2 and 3? or is this just a way to put lots of money into the bank?

Possibly both? If it sells tons then it might just convince them to remake 2 and 3 while they gather their thoughts over RE8 (I'm sure 7 is already too far enough along for them to scrap at this point).

hemo memo

Gold Member

Remakes cost a lot and Capcom is not going back to survival horror, not after the sales of the latest games. This remaster is just easy money.

TGO

Capcom said that they consider doing a REMAKE2 if the fans showed support, this maybe what they mean.

I'm just appreciative of that fact that the definitive version of RE is coming out for the PS4, Xbox One and PC. All of those who didn't get to experience this masterpiece on the gamecube will get to see what all the fuss is about. The addition of
crimson heads
took the the game to a whole other level...lol.

Btw, nice job on those comparison pics, guys! It's definitiely apparent that Capcom dun hit lhe contrast button a few too many times with this revision..lol. Hopefully that'll be addressed before the finished product.

Does anyone know if Capcom will include self-shadowing on the characters/creatures this time?

That was the only graphical OCD I had about the original release for the GameCube [and all the iterations that have followed so far].

I think It would make the game look even more realistic if it had real-time self-shadowing.

I'm just appreciative of that fact that the definitive version of RE is coming out for the PS4, Xbox One and PC. All of those who didn't get to experience this masterpiece on the gamecube will get to see what all the fuss is about. The addition of
crimson heads
took the the game to a whole other level...lol.

Btw, nice job on those comparison pics, guys! It's definitiely apparent that Capcom dun hit lhe contrast button a few too many times with this revision..lol. Hopefully that'll be addressed before the finished product.

Crimson Heads were one of the single best horror game ideas of the last generation, and it's bizarre that we've not really seen any other noteworthy game try a similar concept.

Crimson Heads were one of the single best horror game ideas of the last generation, and it's bizarre that we've not really seen any other noteworthy game try a similar concept.

Funny indeed, that not even Visceral Games or any other horror game developer copied that mechanic, not even Mikami reused it, it was only a one time thing, I still wonder why though.

The Evil Within (Mikami's new game) is doing something like that as the game encourages you to burn bodies of dead enemies. I suspect they'll come back even stronger if you don't.

Oh whoops, I forgot about that, well I hope it adds to the tension, but I'm sure it will.

Plasma

Banned
Wow. I guess this is it. If this remaster does not sell, Capcom will close the door for good on making another classic RE title.

I feel like Capcom say this all the time and it never makes any difference. RE4 on the Wii sold well and instead of putting out another RE like that on the platform they put out a poor port of Dead Rising.

I feel like this announcement is like the "SHOTSFIRED.jpg".

There's a machine in the REmake game that looks exactly like the GameCube console. I always thought that it shows how this game is definitely exclusive to GameCube/Nintendo, just like how MGS: Twin Snakes is exclusive to Nintendo because of the Mario and Yoshi figurines in the game. Porting and remastering the game to PS/XB consoles and the PC and not to Wii U is a mystery to me.

There's a machine in the REmake game that looks exactly like the GameCube console. I always thought that it shows how this game is definitely exclusive to GameCube/Nintendo, just like how MGS: Twin Snakes is exclusive to Nintendo because of the Mario and Yoshi figurines in the game. Porting and remastering the game to PS/XB consoles and the PC and not to Wii U is a mystery to me.

I don't really see how it's confusing to some people at all. The sales for the Wii U are simply not there, for both hardware and software. Multiplat titles don't sell well on the Wii U.

It's almost like they took projected sales into account or something. Crazy.

djshauny

Banned

Same reason why other publishers wont release games on the Wii U.

StuBurns

Banned
I seriously doubt it's exclusivity was ever locked to Nintendo platforms forever, nor with TTS, that one probably just never got ported because the original is the Kojima version, and the 'real' one.

Same for RE0 or PN03.

I seriously doubt it's exclusivity was ever locked to Nintendo platforms forever, nor with TTS, that one probably just never got ported because the original is the Kojima version, and the 'real' one.

Same for RE0 or PN03.

TTS was actually developed by a Nintendo owned (at the time) developer which might have complicated things. We aren't really privy to the contracts though so who knows. Always was surprised that they never attempted to port REmake before but one of the guys on the 8-4 podcast mentioned that the lighting engine may have been tailor made to the Cube's hardware that it would have made porting tough at the time.

No Move control scheme no buy. RE4 on Wii was great. All these games should be brought over with psmove support for PS3 and PS4 where there is even greater accuracy and immersion...you know it's not only possible but relatively cheap and easy to implement.

scitek

No Move control scheme no buy. RE4 on Wii was great. All these games should be brought over with psmove support for PS3 and PS4 where there is even greater accuracy and immersion...you know it's not only possible but relatively cheap and easy to implement.

... How would Move support work with this game? Even the Wii release didn't use the pointer in any way.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Same for RE0 or PN03.

Yeah, Capcom's always owned the games. It was just a matter of time.

This game doesn't play like RE4. Not sure motion controls would be that great (did the Wii port of REmake have motion controls?)

The game isn't a shooter like RE4. The game is designed completely to be played with a static camera. That's like asking why can't I sidestep in Street Fighter like I can in Tekken. Implementing an RE4 3rd person system wouldn't be "cheap and easy". You'd have to rebuild the game from the ground up and change a lot of the fundamental design of the game. Like I said earlier, it's a puzzle game, not a shooter like RE4

scitek

Have to brofist houroftower for being on the money about those REs though. All future OTS REs should include Move controls.

News Bot

Banned

Same for RE0 or PN03.

REmake and Zero were never exclusive. They were actually planned to be ported to the PlayStation 2 at one stage, but got scrapped.

P.N.03 didn't get ported because it sold the worst of the "CAPCOM Five." There was no point.

CAPCOM doesn't sign very many exclusivity contracts. The best they do is a gentleman's agreement, and they will forget all about it if it makes more sense from a business perspective.

Top Bottom