• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Movie Franchise Set for a Reboot

Corpekata

Banned
I don't really even care much about if they follow the games, but I would like them to be more horror oriented.

Or maybe like an anthology TV series. Or hell just do a video game one in general. Season 1 RE, season 2 Silent Hill.

I feel like RE7 showed that trying to adhere too much the generic special forces and vague corporations world really hamstrung things. Don't worry so much about continuity for a series that features uppercutting boulders.

Sure why not, it seems those movies do alright. Like the original series I'll watch the first one and part of the second one before checking out for good.

Kinyou

Going straight away for another six movies sounds pretty optimistic. Why these movies worked at all is still a bit of a questionmark for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it falls apart when you remove Jovovich and Anderson.

The original German title is 'Fack Ju Göhte', deliberately spelled wrong. From what I recall it's a comedy about an ex-con that poses as a teacher to... I think get money they buried on school? Was a giant success over here.
They actually made a spanish remake for the USA which did fairly well

No manches Frida

I'm a fan of the series, so it's great to have a reboot but I'll have to wait and watch a trailer to fully be on board since we might get Alice 2.0...

I watched that, had to see the end and they still left it wide open. Sure. the
cure might make it's way around the world eventually but Alice was like, let's go, they are still kicking

Well it
wrapped up the major conflict which at the core was Umbrella. After the movie ends she and humanity are basically on cleanup duty

kevin1025

Banned
I don't really like the sound of a company going in wanting to make six films. Unless you have a crazy visionary or a great writer who will stick around for the whole thing... If neither of those are the case, make each one great and hope for more, and leave it at that.

I don't really like the sound of a company going in wanting to make six films. Unless you have a crazy visionary or a great writer who will stick around for the whole thing... If neither of those are the case, make each one great and hope for more, and leave it at that.

Variety wrote a very sloppy sub heading "as on original six-movie franchise" doesn't make sense. Pretty sure it is supposed to say "as in" or "as with", rather than "as an", certainly not "as on".
Edit: on second thoughts, I'm not a grammar expert so I could be wrong about that.

The article text refers to the original six movies a few times but doesn't say anything specific about the rebooted one.

I don't really even care much about if they follow the games, but I would like them to be more horror oriented.

Or maybe like an anthology TV series. Or hell just do a video game one in general. Season 1 RE, season 2 Silent Hill.

I feel like RE7 showed that trying to adhere too much the generic special forces and vague corporations world really hamstrung things. Don't worry so much about continuity for a series that features uppercutting boulders.

RE and Silent Hill are owned by different companies

kevin1025

Banned
Variety wrote a very sloppy sub heading "as on original six-movie franchise" doesn't make sense. Pretty sure it is supposed to say "as in" or "as with", rather than "as an", certainly not "as on".
The article text refers to the original six movies a few times but doesn't say anything specific about the rebooted one.

Ah, so it is, my (well, their) mistake! Thanks for clarification, that is definitely a bizarre subheading.

Once the first one is released, it will have been a few years.

The RE movies have been a cash cow. The 6 movies have made over $1.2B on a total production budget of $290M.

Yep, and they're pretty much on the same pace as Spider-man movies which will have had two reboots before we see anything of the next RE.

Thats thanks to paul w s Anderson. Without his goofy direction this might just be straight up generic shit. We'll see

I can enjoy them because they have cool stupid action, aren't too long and aren't bogged down by dumb shit that extends the run time to like 2 and a half hours or more like Transformers. Also mostly liked Alice as a protagonist. Great soundtracks too.

They technically suck, but I've found a lot of guilty pleasure in anticipating each of these and I usually come out feeling like I had a blast. The last movie was actually really enjoyable and I'm laughing every frame Wesker is on screen.

Kazuhira

So much for 'Final Chapter' and 'This is the end' when they're planning to reboot it in a blink of an eye.
Never gave a shit about the movies except for the first one,i hope that Anderson was ditched at least.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Much as I'd love for a more nuanced and interesting adaptation of RE's best concepts, I'm worried the stoooooopid and the sexy girl and the gun fu is what makes this sell gangbusters worldwide :/

Boke1879

Following the games isn't really something they need to do. Of course it should take inspiration.

But I'd love for these to be more horror focused at least the first one. Mansion, group of people split up, etc.

If you want to adapt Nemesis. Make that a horror movie. Straight up. He's a stalker on the level of Myers or Jason.

Following the games isn't really something they need to do. Of course it should take inspiration.

But I'd love for these to be more horror focused at least the first one. Mansion, group of people split up, etc.

If you want to adapt Nemesis. Make that a horror movie. Straight up. He's a stalker on the level of Myers or Jason.

Agreed. These don't need to be redos of any of the games specifically. These movies did have the horror elements and there's some jump scares as well as decent atmosphere at times, but they were mostly action heavy. They were always closer in tone IMO to RE5 which at least had some good atmosphere at times than say RE6 which is all action and apart from like the opening with Leon, zilch in terms of atmosphere.

But I'll tell you what-- watch them take inspiration from RE7.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
One of the things I liked about the first movie was that, for a brief moment anyway, they treated Umbrella like it were a real multinational biotech company. In the games we always just related to it like it were some occult evil organization, but treating it like it were Monsanto was kind of interesting. It was the potential of a movie adaptation, to treat trivial elements of the game as if they were more realistic real world concepts.

Of course 10 minutes into the first movie, it devolves into being just an evil organization.... but I think there was something there.

I'd love to see a more grounded story of corporate greed that eventually devolves and leaves their shiny corporate setting as a horror show.

Anyway that will never happen... we'll just go towards scantily clad girls doing gun fu against hulking monstars and moustache twirling cartoon characters again.

I can enjoy them because they have cool stupid action, aren't too long and aren't bogged down by dumb shit that extends the run time to like 2 and a half hours or more like Transformers. Also mostly liked Alice as a protagonist. Great soundtracks too.

They technically suck, but I've found a lot of guilty pleasure in anticipating each of these and I usually come out feeling like I had a blast. The last movie was actually really enjoyable and I'm laughing every frame Wesker is on screen.

Yeah they're fun for sure but like I said that's thanks to paul w s Anderson. A reboot away from his direction will likely just be some generic crap. We'll see how it turns out

Honestly I never really found the games to be good when it came to horror. Silent Hill was much better in that regard

Top Bottom