• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Outrage Could Be Changing Rebecca Chambers race

Status
Not open for further replies.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Reputable Resident Evil leaker AestheticGamer has since provided some more insight into what Resident Evil: Outrage could entail. According to AestheticGamer's information, Resident Evil: Outrage features Rebecca Chambers as the main protagonist, and it will likely have a college university setting. The game is said to essentially be Resident Evil: Revelations 3, and will likely launch as a timed-Switch exclusive.

AestheticGamer has since shared more details they've heard about Resident Evil: Outrage, particularly when it comes to Rebecca Chambers. According to their information, Rebecca is Asian now, whereas she was white in the other Resident Evil games. Capcom has apparently used a Japanese model for Rebecca Chambers this time around. It's unclear how fans will react to this, but Rebecca's race has never been important to her character, so it's unlikely to create that much of a stir.

This wouldn't even be the first time that Rebecca Chambers' race has been swapped. In fact, Resident Evil stage play called Biohazard: The Stage saw Japanese actress Rin Asuka take on the role of Rebecca. And what's more, there are numerous elements from Biohazard: The Stage that seem to line up with the Resident Evil: Outrage leaks, including its supposed university setting.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
To be fair, wasn't her live action actress in the original RE Asian?

Or maybe it was just the stage play, I can't really remember

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
She lost her memories back in Resident Evil 1.
She ded.
iu

OrionNebula

Seems it'll be Chambersu now
I actually like that 🙂

Honestly, though, I don’t really care if they change her up. She’s been missing quite a bit in this series, so I’m open to see where they go with this, as long as it’s good

She lost her memories back in Resident Evil 1.
She ded.
iu

Resident Evil: Zero, makes no damn sense in the timeline. It's like, wait? Why are you frightened of zombies when you just fought giant scorpions and leech monsters? CAPCOM EXPLAIN.

Back to the topic at hand: I get that this is NeoGAF and some users are, we'll say, "have a hair trigger" on these things, but personally I don't give one duck fuck if they change her race. Hey, maybe they'll change her to something like one of Eddie Murphy's classic characters from Coming to America, then we'll all win.

MiguelItUp

Yeah I always figured she could've been mixed or whatever. But I also didn't really stop to question it, I didn't care, lmao.

Capcom has apparently used a Japanese model for Rebecca Chambers this time around.
Hmmmm, the "this time around" may not be quite true; it has been done before. I'll cite Wikipedia here:

"For Resident Evil 0, Rebecca's character was modeled after the J-pop star Ayumi Hamasaki, who also served as Capcom's official spokeswoman for the game in Japan."

Rebecca has always looked a little bit asian to me even in RE1 remake and RE0, I always assumed she was meant to be partly asian.
(See my reference above)

Last edited:

FUBARx89

Sure. Am gonna believe DuskGolem.

PS5 version barely works, sorry guiseeee xbox was getting negative attention 😭😭

Village was Rev 3 according to him aswell.

He's an arse clown.

Last edited:

ryan13ts

I highly doubt this, unless this takes place in a new universe where a situation like a reboot where a change would be plausible.

TheKratos

I'm more pissed that we still don't have a new Outbreak or hell Outbreak remasters. They experimented on the PS2 when online gaming was still barebones but now we got fully fledged online gaming and Capcom don't even bother.

1. It's Dusk Golem
2. Rebecca was already modeled after Ayumi in 0 for people that didn't know (technology just made it less apparent). So fake news either way.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I don't care if she somehow manages a more Asian look but if they go and change her race outright then that's super lame.

Want an Asian character then make a new one.

MrA

Banned
Hmmmm, the "this time around" may not be quite true; it has been done before. I'll cite Wikipedia here:

"For Resident Evil 0, Rebecca's character was modeled after the J-pop star Ayumi Hamasaki, who also served as Capcom's official spokeswoman for the game in Japan."

(See my reference above)
to be fair much like with Tatsuya Nakadai, she doesn't have very typical Japanese features, I wouldn't guess she was Japanese based on her Wikipedia profile picture
that reminds me I should watch yojimbo again, man Kurosawa was a great director,

ReBurn

Gold Member
The real comedy is a bunch of butthurt dudes complaining that they might have to play a video game as an Asian woman instead of a white woman.
Nothing scream asian like a name like Chambers, according to Shaolin movies I’ve seen
Imagine thinking that an Asian AmerIcan couldn't be named Rebecca.

I know you're trying to be funny but honestly the joke sucks.

People actually think this is progressive woke pandering? The original character design was based on a Japanese pop-star way back when, as has already been stated by some in this very thread. The real reason for this is pretty obvious, it's because of the fact that this game was designed with the Switch, the number one console in Japan, as the leading platform.

Also,
I'm biased because I have an Asian fetish.

matty3092

I came into this thread expecting it to be they had changed her to be black or something but with her looking slightly Asian in RE0 and REmake I'm okay with this.

EDMIX

idgaf

The story in RE is so fucking bad and shitty, anyone getting upset over this need serious help. Imagine crying over this shit and the girl damn near "forgot" all of the events of Resident Evil 0, in Resident Evil 1.

I'm not even saying THE FIRST TIME AROUND or something, in the fucking remake she doesn't say shit, in the remaster she doesn't say shit.....

Sounds to me like the story in RE is so fucking bad, I don't see how THIS of all things is the thing that someone is now crying over as if it was this deep story.

They can make her what ever race they want, it has nothing to do with the story. Thats like fanboys being in tears if her height is wrong or something, as if the damn story MUST have this exact shit or something. This isn't East Side Story, this isn't American History X, this isn't Godfather, this isn't any fucking work where the race is this deep thing that it MUST be the same carbon copy or something. This sounds like some fake ass outrage.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Can someone here put Jim Ryan faces into Rebeca please ?

Just for laugh, i needed that thanks

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
idgaf

The story in RE is so fucking bad and shitty, anyone getting upset over this need serious help. Imagine crying over this shit and the girl damn near "forgot" all of the events of Resident Evil 0, in Resident Evil 1.

I'm not even saying THE FIRST TIME AROUND or something, in the fucking remake she doesn't say shit, in the remaster she doesn't say shit.....

Sounds to me like the story in RE is so fucking bad, I don't see how THIS of all things is the thing that someone is now crying over as if it was this deep story.

They can make her what ever race they want, it has nothing to do with the story. Thats like fanboys being in tears if her height is wrong or something, as if the damn story MUST have this exact shit or something. This isn't East Side Story, this isn't American History X, this isn't Godfather, this isn't any fucking work where the race is this deep thing that it MUST be the same carbon copy or something. This sounds like some fake ass outrage.

But it DOES sound like you give quite the fuck about people giving a fuck. A strange dichotomy!

Becs was always Caucasian to me, but RE is a Japanese developed game, so everyone basically looks ambiguously light skinned when they could really be anything. I think Chris, Claire, Jill and Leon are really the only ones who's race switching up would raise an eyebrow just due to how many times they've appeared ONE way in the canon. But yes, there is a canon. There are also entries that are non-canon, and there are people who care or at the very least like the property enough to keep track of.

Losing sleep over storyline changes in anything that's fictional is pretty smooth brained given the level and severity of real world issues, but it's also largely harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom