• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil - Ranking The Most Terrible Characters From Bad To Worse

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil has given us a lot of excellent, memorable characters over the years, but when you've been around for as long as this series has been, there's bound to be a few stumbles. In Resident Evil's case, the stumbles have often gone hand in hand with embarrassingly bad characters.

Though we're hopefully looking ahead to a future where such instances are minimized, here, we're going to take a look back at some of the worst characters in RE history, and rank them from bad to worse.

Tranquil

Played the original a few months ago, some very obtuse puzzles in there. Stopped playing when I walked into a backyard with 3 dogs and no matter what I did they would kill me. Didn't like the game much so I stopped there.

Played VII a few years ago enjoyed it, genuinely freaked me out at times.

Spaceman292

Banned
Played the original a few months ago, some very obtuse puzzles in there. Stopped playing when I walked into a backyard with 3 dogs and no matter what I did they would kill me. Didn't like the game much so I stopped there.

There are people on here who'll genuinely say that 1 is better than 7. Jooookeeerrs

fart town usa

Gold Member

Just gotta stand in the far left corner of the garden area and let them run at you. Fire a warning shot to lure them in and then just shoot and wait for their reset animation.

Worst characters are all the sidekicks that Capcom introduces and then never mentions again. Except for Sheva and Josh, they definitely deserve to be brought back.

RE6 definitely takes the cake though in terms of truly awful characters. Sherry is the only one who seems to be treated with respect. Everyone else is straight trash, including Leon and Chris. It's just insane how Capcom destroyed these characters. The first 20 seconds of Nerrel's RE6 video is effing hilarious. "Where do you get off having that much bad boy attitude!?!"

Last edited:

You can usually just run past the dogs. Or kill shoot them if you have enough ammo, I dunno.

There are people on here who'll genuinely say that 1 is better than 7. Jooookeeerrs
It's sort of unfair to compare it to a game that's over 20 years younger and in VR. But 1 is in fact better. And it's the first one, it started the whole series, give it some respect!

Neff

Raymond Vester

That is all

Just gotta stand in the far left corner of the garden area and let them run at you.

It's not even like you need a strategy. The dogs are one of the easiest enemies to run away from/past because they can't stop doing those goofy tracking lunges which will miss you by a mile if you're moving. It's not even worth killing them.

Also 1 > 7

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

Operation Raccon City had many bizarre, strange characters.
Remember Christine "Four Eyes" Yamata ? haha

063a45aaf48750459fa564cf4a6b53f7.png

(And yeah, i hate Ada too. Fuck her)

Last edited:

aclar00

Any character from 1 & 2 are infinitely better than any subsequent characters...that includes dead Alpha and Bravo team members such as Forest, Brad, Joseph, etc... i have a bias and only partially played 5, 6 and 7

Soodanim

Gold Member
I understand some people being bothered by Quint and Keith from RER, but I absolutely didn't mind them.
It’s been less than 6 months since I played through that game and I already forgot they existed. I only remember Carrot Top is in it because he looks like a children’s doll blown up to human proportions.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Steve. Fuckin. Burnside.

Code Veronica has its moments, but so many problems too. This horrible misfire of a character being the most memorable.

Neff

I've just noticed Jake Muller is in the thumbnail for this vid so FUCK this list

*watches* Wait, Salazar? Alfred? Fuck this list even more

And Steve haters can suck my fat one

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Fuck this list for shitting on Steve. His character is absolute gold and a perfect time capsule of early video game VA that will never happen again because the industry is too polished now.
VA fits the character to a T.

But no, fuck Steve. Classic RE is redundant as hell as it is, and Steve is the main reason CV is the most redundant of all. Half of what you have to do as Claire is solve some needless shit caused by Steve, or find some other way to open a door cuz this child can’t let go of these shiny gold pistols he’s found. And he finds a way to get killed anyway in the end, but not before giving you an escape scene where if you don’t have a first-aid spray you’re dead.

Fuck. Steve.

OrionNebula

I understand some people being bothered by Quint and Keith from RER, but I absolutely didn't mind them.
And for some reason, their music theme was pretty good. But the characters suck

-I hate snow...
-Snow hates you...

Fucking hell who wrote this?

Jessica from Revelaitons 1 :

-Hold on, Chris! Me and my hot ass are on the way!

Stay classy, Revelaitons 😜

Also didn’t like much Conan O’Brian, also from Revelations

Surprisingly, I tend to enjoy both RER quite a bit, still

SSfox

I didn't watch the video but here are my top 10 RE characters:

1- Hunk
2- Albert Wesker
3- Leon S kennedy
4- Jill Valentine
5- Chris Redfield
6- Claire Redfield
7- Ada Wong
8- Barry Burton
9- Sherry Birkin
10- Rebecca Chambers

And for some reason, their music theme was pretty good. But the characters suck

-I hate snow...
-Snow hates you...

Fucking hell who wrote this?

Jessica from Revelaitons 1 :

-Hold on, Chris! Me and my hot ass are on the way!

Stay classy, Revelaitons 😜

Also didn’t like much Conan O’Brian, also from Revelations

Surprisingly, I tend to enjoy both RER quite a bit, still
This post is on point.

Other posts have me quite surprised:

- I guess there's a defense force for everything, even for Steve Burnside. I mean -- I have gone to die on various (video game) hills; but Steve Burnside would never, ever be such a hill. The fact this is what Claire gets (in what is a mess of a game to begin with), on top of being a glorified babysitter for Barry's daughter in the second game of a spin-off series, shows just how much wrong Claire has been done by Capcom after RE2. Through no fault of her own, Claire probably has one of the worst trajectories of a video game protagonist I have ever seen.

- The hate on Ada surprises me; maybe it comes from her role in RE6? (I wouldn't have to speculate if people bothered to elaborate on their posts. Wishful thinking...). She's got a great attitude, she's got great voice actresses (starting with Sally Cahill all the way back in the OG RE2). Seems to always have a Rocket Launcher ready when Leon needs one (and even when he doesn't know he needs one). Is awesome to play as, at least in RE2 (original and remake) and RE4; I haven't yet played RE6. But in RE2 and RE4, she is the fastest, and her shooting feels great. Oh yeah, and she's the fastest while rocking a cocktail dress and heels. Playing Mercenaries with her in RE4 is a delight! (Well, playing Mercenaries in RE4 with anyone except for Leon is a delight.)

VA fits the character to a T.

But no, fuck Steve. Classic RE is redundant as hell as it is, and Steve is the main reason CV is the most redundant of all. Half of what you have to do as Claire is solve some needless shit caused by Steve, or find some other way to open a door cuz this child can’t let go of these shiny gold pistols he’s found. And he finds a way to get killed anyway in the end, but not before giving you an escape scene where if you don’t have a first-aid spray you’re dead.

Fuck. Steve.
Shut up! I don't want to talk about it!

T8SC

I didn't watch the video but here are my top 10 RE characters:

1- Hunk
2- Albert Wesker
3- Leon S kennedy
4- Jill Valentine
5- Chris Redfield
6- Claire Redfield
7- Ada Wong
8- Barry Burton