• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil series breaks 100 million units sold. Which one is the best?

What is the best entry in the Resident Evil series?

• Resident Evil (original)

Votes: 33 8.5%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 51 13.1%
  • Resident Evil 3

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Resident Evil Remake

Votes: 72 18.5%
  • Resident Evil Zero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Resident Evil 4

Votes: 119 30.5%
  • Resident Evil 5

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Resident Evil 6

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Resident Evil 7

Votes: 26 6.7%
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 43 11.0%
  • Resident Evil 3 Remake

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Kinda crazy that this series as a whole that has been out since the PS era is just now hitting 100 mil... meanwhile GTA5 just hit 130 mil alone in a frwction of the time.

Not shitting on RE because I love the series but... damn, GTA is a beast.

Aion002

RE 2 Remake, for me, is overall the best.

RE 6 has the best gameplay.

RE Remake has the best atmosphere.

RE Outbreak File 2 has the best coop.

Yeah. If I would have to add all the spin-offs the poll max number wouldn't be sufficient. Apart from that, there would be things as laughable as Operation Raccoon City or Umbrella Corps (I think with RE6 being in the main series we have enough lol)

I liked ORC? You just had to know what you were playing and keep your expectations in check.

I am always in the unpopular opinion crowd when this gets asked, but my answer remains the same.

I love a lot of the RE games, but I LOVED Code Veronica. Blew me away on DC back in the day. Holds a soft spot in my heart.

Great Hair

Banned

Not sure how accurate. Resident Evil Original my fav. by a long shot.

close to 43% (my est.) stem from PS systems.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
RE4 by far..

It's excellent by today standards, and was absolutely incredible at the time it came out..

Last edited:

Amory

I'm new to the series, and have only played REmake, REmake 2, and 4.

2 is by far my favorite, not even close.

1 has old school charm but it's a chore

I actually don't like 4 much at all. I think you had to be there when it came out.

.Pennywise

Banned
I am always in the unpopular opinion crowd when this gets asked, but my answer remains the same.

I love a lot of the RE games, but I LOVED Code Veronica. Blew me away on DC back in the day. Holds a soft spot in my heart.

I have the same feeling. Code Veronica was really really good (although we all hate Steve lol) and could definitely be a numbered RE.

I'm new to the series, and have only played REmake, REmake 2, and 4.

2 is by far my favorite, not even close.

1 has old school charm but it's a chore

I actually don't like 4 much at all. I think you had to be there when it came out.
Yeah, it 's set today's standard for TPS games. It was blowing away how good the gameplay was when RE4 came out, and that's it for the game because the story is Jack shit and the horror was almost gone (RE5 finished the deal on going enterily on action).

devDemonik

Neo Member
The original RE2.

Just can't shake the nostalgia of playing a RE game for the first time and being both terrified and challenged. The creepy cover, the thick double disc PS jewel case, back when there were actually full colored instruction manuals to flip through... man those were the days.

ksdixon

Really? RE2make is so close behind the original?

I personally felt that it fell-off SUPER hard after the RPD. Sewers were a pain in the ass and boring.

Plus, the A/B scenarios were bungled, a late addon after fan backlash to Capcom saying they wouldn't have A/B scenarios. Leon/Claire basically meeting the same people in the same rooms at the same time in A/B runs; and apparently it took Claire 40-odd minutes to walk to the RPD gate like two streets over from the car crash, whilst Leon's been suriviving hell inside it. Really disappointed in the story (thought gameplay was fantastic).

ksdixon

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis for me. It's everything from the first 2 games dialled up to 11, has the best vilian of the series in the Nemesis, has amazing mechanics like the dodge, branching story paths, ammo crafting, first implementation of Mercenaries Mode and epilogues for all characters in the series after multiple completions.

Add to that, Jill is stuffed to the gills with awesome one liners, mad action heroine antics and sass.

It's bloody awesome and is still to this day in my top 3 games of all time.

Interesting. How did you like RE3make?

yurinka

Really? RE2make is so close behind the original?
RE2 remake outsold the original RE2, the remake of the first RE outsold the original, and RE3 remake in a few months will outsell the original RE3.

Didn't something recently surpass RE5? I can't quite remember.
Here you can see the real sales numbers of all the Capcom games which sold more than a million copies, which is the case of basically all main RE games: http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

These are the top selling RE games as of June 30:
1) RE7 7.9M
2) RE5 7.7M
3) RE6 7.6M
4) RE2 (remake) 7.2M
5) RE2 (PS1) 4.96M
6) RE3 (PS1) 3.5M
7) RE (remake, PS3) 2.8M
8) RE (PS1) 2.75M
9) RE3 (remake) 2.7M -this was released in April, so expect it to sell many copies more-
10) RE Revelations 2 2.6M

Last edited:

TheKratos

RE5 for me. Fuck the haters. I loved playing this shit in COOP though I do admit I wished it was more like that Mansion DLC. Still what a fun ride, blasting enemies, giving them haymakers, all that with your friends.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Didn't something recently surpass RE5? I can't quite remember.
You’re right, I just looked it up and RE7 is actually the best selling individual title in the series. But RE5 has sold more in its various versions (I think there is a Gold version w/ DLC) and altogether RE5 has sold the most copies if we count all versions with 11 million

RE7 sold 7.9 million copies
RE5 sold 7.7 million copies (not including the Gold Edition with DLC Bundle)

ksdixon

I liked ORC? You just had to know what you were playing and keep your expectations in check.

I too enjoyed ORC. I thought it got too turret-heavy in the DLC half of the game, but other than that it had some interesting ideas, like guiding Sherry through the sewers with flares.

I essentially consider The Division 1 and 2 to be ORC without the RE license, and given a few more years in the oven for more polish. It has the same bulletsponge-y enemies, hulking brutes with flamethrowers/gattling guns like Nemesis encounters, pick-up guns when yours runs out, special abilities to pop during gun fights. All it's missing is ORC's melee combos.

Enzo88

Resident Evil 2/ Remake 1-2/ RE 4 are all god tier, but i have a love affair with the original RE2. That game is stuck in my mind like few other things ever did. I beat that game something like 60/70 times.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Whilst there's an RE discussion thread poppin'...

From a gameplay perspective, can anyone explain why RE2make clicked for me, an RE3make just... didn't? I remember as soon as the game released my hype just poof'ed out of existance.

Some of it was that REmake did teach me not to play demos anymore, as so often they're just the first part of the game, so you spend the early part of your day 1 release re-doing crap you've already done, being bored... but it's not like my hype continued and saw me through to the post-demo content of the game.

Day 1 purchase and next to zero hype to play the game.

Maybe I was just soured by story/zapping system let-downs of RE2make; and RE3make story changes I'd heard about?

ksdixon

Why is CV/CVX so polarizing? People literally either love it or hate it.
It can't just be gameplay mechanics, mising RE3's dodge, 180' turn and dynamic choices, can it?

I personally didn't like the anime tend Capcom took the series around CV/CVX/0/RE4 time period(s). What was with Dr. Marcus' design, the midget napoleon in RE4, and CV/X's anime love story between Claire/Steve, and the start of "anime supervillan" Wesker?

I added up all different skus from the above website but counted remakes as separate games and I got....

1. RE 5
2. RE 4
3. RE 6
4. RE 7
5. RE 2 Remake

But if we count remakes with the originals then Resident Evil 2 is the champ

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Resident Evil 2 Remake in pancake mode.

Resident Evil 7 in VR.

Of those two, Resident Evil 7 in VR is EASILY the best horror experience I’ve ever had in gaming, and is leagues above anything else.

If you haven’t had a go, do so as soon as you can. It blows everything else out of the water.

Last edited:

nkarafo

REmake is the peak of everything Resident Evil stands for. Pure survival horror gameplay, the spenser mansion setting and the best looking pre-rendered backgrounds ever made.

Part 7 starts really genius, oddly enough losing something the more of a Residential Evil game it became later on. Still a great game, but the early parts felt like being in a legit horror movie.

Enzo88

The original RE2 and Remake 2 are way too low, I am gonna assume they are cannibalizing each others votes and i am gonna group them in my mind XD

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Top 2 for me are clearly Resident Evil 4 and REmake. So it's a very close call, but my vote goes to Resident Evil 4, possibly the best game ever made ( top 5 for sure ).

OuterLimits

I much prefer the Silent Hill series overall but I did enjoy Resident Evil 4 and the remake of Resident Evil. I still need to play RE 7. Have no desire to play 5 or 6.

Top Bottom