• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

Davey Cakes

Jocchan said:
Great, now I feel even more bad for this being a lightgun shooter :/
Well, hey, y'know what? It may be a lightgun shooter by design, but gameplay-wise I get the idea that it's going to be a lot different than, say, House of the Dead. I also have a feeling that it's going to be more intense and fast than Umbrella Chronicles.

Yeah, people are still wishing this was just done like RE4, and I still agree with that. But I feel that Darkside Chronicles is not just going to be "yet another lightgun shooter on Wii." I honestly think we're going to be in for some interesting surprises.

cvxfreak

Maybe Capcom will make the CV chapter such that Claire, Steve and Rodrigo stick together, or something. Maybe Rodrigo can be Chris' partner as well?

To be honest, the game-based chapters were never going to be canon anyway. They might as well let their imagination run wild. The RE3 chapter in UC barely resembled the actual game, but it was probably one of the more fun chapters in the game.

cvxfreak said:
To be honest, the game-based chapters were never going to be canon anyway. They might as well let their imagination run wild.

So they can have Steve die at the beginning and everyone will be happy.

cvxfreak said:
But clearly they hate us, so Steve will live and succeed Wesker in all evilness.
Wesker never DID resurrect Steve. I bet he'll be the new villain in RE6. He'll face his polar opposite, Barry.

So a certain banned Nintendo blog posted an article with spoilers for all the chapters. The source was GameFAQs. Yeah I know, here's the thing. Apparently it was posted on another forum previously but Capcom asked the info be taken down. The topic where the info was posted on GameFAQs has also now been completely deleted and apparently the info was also deleted when posted on the RE:DC board on Capcoms site. Anyways here is a copy and paste of what was deleted, if this is real then MAJOR SPOILERS, READ AT OWN RISK:
* Raccoon City, October 1998 -
2 Chapters
Playable Characters: Leon Kennedy, Claire Redfield & Ada Wong
* Raccoon Ruins, September 1998
2 Chapter
Playable Characters: Leon Kennedy, Claire Redfield & Sherry Birkin
* Rockfort Island, December 1998
2 Chapters
Playable Characters: Claire Redfield & Steve Burnside
* The Capital, December 1998
2 Chapter
Playable Characters: Leon Kennedy
* Antartic Facility, December 1998 - Sub Chapter (Legacy Forgotten) reference to the infamous Ashford Family.
2 Chapters
Playable Characters: Chris Redfield, Claire Redfield & Steve Burnside
* South America, July 2002
2 Chapters
Playable Characters: Leon Kennedy & Jack Krauser
* Umbrella, A New Beginning, February 2003 & 2004
3 Chapters
Playabe Character : Ada Wong
* The Beginning of the End, August 2006
2 Chapters
Playable Character: Chris Redfield & Jill Valentine
* June 2009, Former Wishes - The Final Chapter.
2 Chapters
Playable Character: Sherry Birkin

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
GoldandBlue said:
lol, still the topic on GameFAQs was completely deleted. Not locked like they usually do with topics but just completely removed. I just find it odd they'd go through the trouble of deleting fake info.

some of the scenario characters are logical answers if you think about 'em so maybe capcom had it removed because it was partly true .

chandoog said:
some of the scenario characters are logical answers if you think about 'em so maybe capcom had it removed because it was partly true .
Yeah, wouldn't be surprised about the South America one. The relationship between those two was just randomly brought up in RE4 and never explained. It would be nice too know more about that.

chandoog said:

Yeah, actually all of them are so plausible, that even it's fake it wouldn't be to far or even exactly from the actual game.

ezekial45 said:
How the hell can you play as Sherry Birkin? Is it just gonna consist of dodging and evading enemies?

She's been on Wesker custody for god's know how many years, and she is not a little girl anymore

ezekial45 said:
How the hell can you play as Sherry Birkin? Is it just gonna consist of dodging and evading enemies?
Well, the last Sherry Birkin episode takes place in 2009, which means she'd be perfectly capable of becoming yet another teen prodigy ala Rebecca/Chris/Jill/every other major character in RE.

ezekial45

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

Oh, i was still thinking it was in Raccoon City. That could be cool i guess. I'd be nice to see what she's up too now.

Relaxed Muscle said:
She's been on Wesker custody for god's know how many years, and she is not a little girl anymore
She was taken into government custody, not Wesker but yeah given she's 23 by this point shes had enough time to train and get ready to battle some zombies.

GoldandBlue said:
She was taken into government custody, not Wesker but yeah given she's 23 by this point shes had enough time to train and get ready to battle some zombies.

Yes one of the RE3 epilogues tells that she was found by the goverment, but in one of the Wesker reports, it says that Sherry is in Wesker hands, I don't remember the reasons, though

Relaxed Muscle said:
Yes one of the RE3 epilogues tells that she was found by the goverment, but in one of the Wesker reports, it says that Sherry is in Wesker hands, I don't remember the reasons, though
Oh. God the RE story is such a confusing mess sometimes. :lol

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Relaxed Muscle said:

since code veronica is a more recent source, the Wesker thing is probably more true, but then again there was no sign of her in RE5 either ..

theory ..
maybe ada's scenario will show ada secretly breaking her out of wesker's custody ? (she did afterall work for a rival company and went in to wesker's camp as a double agent.

chandoog said:
since code veronica is a more recent source, the Wesker thing is probably more true, but then again there was no sign of her in RE5 either ..

theory ..
maybe ada's scenario will show ada secretly breaking her out of wesker's custody ? (she did afterall work for a rival company and went in to wesker's camp as a double agent.

Yeah, no doubt, Wesker reports are 100% cannon after all, it just make me ask:"Why they pull that epilogue in RE3 just to make it totally irrelevant sometime after?", actually just show what a fucking mess is RE storyline, seems like most of the time they are doing the history on the go.

Anyway, RE5 explain and put int perspective a few things at least.

About the theory....
I think that Wesker raised Sherry to be his succesor or something like that, this suposed Sherry chapter is named "Former Wishes", maybe had to do with Wesker wishes, (TOTAL GLOBAL SATURATION) and all that and how she will try to follow them or make her own whises related to Wesker ones...., it would be nice too, see Sherry trying to get revenge on Claire and Leon for leveing her alone...

Sadist

I kind of wanted that there would be new Wesker chapters in DSC. The voiceactor was confirmed for the game right? IMO, the Wesker parts in UC were great. And we apparantly have a Chris and Jill scenario. Chris without Wesker... no dice man. In a not playable role I mean.

Christopher

GoldandBlue said:
Oh. God the RE story is such a confusing mess sometimes. :lol

It's really not though until Resident Evil 0 came along, and if you read the files in Outbreak, but before it was pretty basic.

cvxfreak

I think those spoilers are largely guesswork and BS. I don't think Jill will be in this game, though I'd love to be wrong.

cvxfreak

Blog update; this time, it's a Claire-related entry:

http://www.capcom-fc.com/re_dc/2009/05/claire_presence.html

Claire’s Presence

To me, Claire is one of the most interesting characters in the Resident Evil universe. I personally have always really liked her as a character..

In the story, Claire is just your average college student, and the fact that she is a civilian makes her quite unique. With the exception of the Outbreak games, there haven’t been very many civilians to play a major role in the Resident Evil Series.

I’m of the mind that it is the regular people that play the most important roles in horror. Characters in games who are just ordinary people without any special skills are emblematic of most of us. I believe that these characters put a face to our fears. In horror films there are generally many main characters, of which most are killed off. They are there to make the audience think, “What if that was me in this situation?” Also, I think Claire being a woman fits nicely into this kind of horror story.

I enjoy, and have seen quite a few horror movies, but to me most of the female main characters seem to be in the movies for the sole purpose of having a terrified person who can scream loudly. Perhaps it is this way because the women are generally portrayed as weak and defenseless, and seeing them being chased increases the feeling of oneness with that character, and thus the sense of fear.

But back to Claire, I feel that she is perhaps more well-rounded than a lot of the characters we see in horror movies and games. Sure she has a tough side, but she is also a just your average civilian/college student/woman. It is my opinion that all of these elements together make her a perfect main character for a horror story.

For Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles, Claire’s voice was again done by the immensely talented Alyson Court, who has been the voice of Claire since Resident Evil 2. We were very privileged to be able to work with Alyson again, and even though we asked a lot from her, she never failed to exceed our expectations. On the set, Alyson BECAME the young Claire again from 1998. It was truly a pleasure to work with her again.

Going into the voice recording, we thought about how a regular girl thrown into a town writhing with the undead would react, how the fear would affect her breathing, and how she would scream. So it was with this direction in mind that we had Alyson consider all of these things when delivering her lines. We wanted to convey from the mere sound of her voice, the terror Claire was feeling.

In the end, what we needed to do was to convey through Claire the real “presence” of horror.

KurowaSan

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

News Bot

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, no doubt, Wesker reports are 100% cannon after all, it just make me ask:"Why they pull that epilogue in RE3 just to make it totally irrelevant sometime after?", actually just show what a fucking mess is RE storyline, seems like most of the time they are doing the history on the go.

Anyway, RE5 explain and put int perspective a few things at least.

About the theory....
I think that Wesker raised Sherry to be his succesor or something like that, this suposed Sherry chapter is named "Former Wishes", maybe had to do with Wesker wishes, (TOTAL GLOBAL SATURATION) and all that and how she will try to follow them or make her own whises related to Wesker ones...., it would be nice too, see Sherry trying to get revenge on Claire and Leon for leveing her alone...

Sherry was never in Wesker's custody. She was always in the US government's custody. That line in the original Wesker's Report was removed in it's latest re-release in the 10th Anniversary DVD. They corrected the error by removing the entire line about Sherry at the end, so it officially ends on "and Leon joined forces with an underground anti-Umbrella organization".

See here: http://projectumbrella.net/articles/Weskers-Report

"Please don't be so hard on yourself, brother. We can still have much fun playing our games!"

Can't wait to see her updated model.

jibblypop

Banned
bomb_jack said:
Still angry at:

a) This being a rail shooter

and

b) This being a fucking rail shooter

Some people like rail shooters (like me!) so just play the other Resident Evil games if you like those better. These games don't make the other Res Evil games evaporate into thin air so I don't see why you would care.
I don't like the mainline games too much since it's not my type of game so at least let me have these light gun offshoots.

Top Bottom