• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - News and Info Thread

Majmun

The game looks great imo.

But I'm not too fond of the spoilers. Krauser playable? Fuck, I'd rather see that for myself.

WARP10CK

Banned
Frencherman said:
Those screens look like the awaited 3rd-Person Game but it's not. It hurts...

Yeah I know whats with all the light gun games anyway do they really have to work the wiimote into everything?

A third person old school Resident Evil 2 remake that's all I wanted and instead we get another light gun on rails shooter.

The new Dead Space game for the wii it looked pretty awsome but guess what its an on rails shooter aswell.

WARP10CK said:
Yeah I know whats with all the light gun games anyway do they really have to work the wiimote into everything?

A third person old school Resident Evil 2 remake that's all I wanted and instead we get another light gun on rails shooter.

The new Dead Space game for the wii it looked pretty awsome but guess what its an on rails shooter aswell.
You don't fucking know how awesome a new game in the old-style (or even new-style) game would be. Not...Resident Evil: The Ride =/

Well, the TGS site was uploaded on August 28th, the same date the news became public. I'm just waiting for a confirmation of the name "Javier Hidalgo".

EDIT: All new information summarized...

• "Operation Javier" will see Leon and Krauser cooperating as a two-man cell in a t-Virus outbreak
  • scenario is set in 2002
  • the stage is a South American riverside village and looks very similar to Kijuju (surprise!)
  • the mysterious girl is called Manuela and seems to be the only survivor of the village, though it is unknown why she didn't escape

t7oqkw.jpg

2r7v6vs.png

2e4ccpd.png

r0d0tt.png

ipcab7.png

cvxfreak

Clearly Capcom will reuse the South America assets for the Wii port of RE5.

Just bought the issue of Famitsu myself. Looking very interesting, though I hope they manage to make this new plot fit in with the rest of the series. We've gotten plenty of retcons, but the Umbrella Chronicles retcons were, for the most part, well done. I'm hoping that the progression from RE2 to CV to OJ makes a good deal of sense.

I have the feeling that this game will end all the speculation about Sherry, she is going to be a normal girl after RE2, they will retcon the wesker report again.

Sipowicz said:
there's no way it's a wii game i'll tell you that
of course it is. it's the wii game rendered at higher resolution and with AA stuck on it, just as almost every next gen game does with their press screenshots, and then they've stuck an obnoxious blur effect on it.

look at the really basic lighting on the character models. see how few there are. compare it to other screens of Darkside Chronicles to appreciate that there isn't any more going on here (beyond standard higher res press shot and BLUR) than you see in the rest of the game.

Cavia are doing a great job pushing the Wii.

and trust me, i never thought i'd ever write anything even remotely similar to that last sentence, but it's definitely true.

retconning sherry from Wesker's report is pretty easily done cause not many people know the reports and what he said was pretty vague.

'There's something about that girl' and something about her dad being a tricky one. maybe he just meant she was a real go getter like her dad.

:p

Sipowicz

Banned
plagiarize said:
of course it is. it's the wii game rendered at higher resolution and with AA stuck on it, just as almost every next gen game does with their press screenshots, and then they've stuck an obnoxious blur effect on it.

look at the really basic lighting on the character models. see how few there are. compare it to other screens of Darkside Chronicles to appreciate that there isn't any more going on here (beyond standard higher res press shot and BLUR) than you see in the rest of the game.

well if it's a bullshot i guess i could buy it but it still looks mad

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BattleMonkey said:
Did they get rid of that annoying cursor lag when aiming, it killed any enjoyment in the first game for me

Same for me. I would have enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles a lot more if the game wasn't such a chunky, slurred mess of lag and bad controls. If I'm playing a rail shooter the pointer needs to be smooth.

Sipowicz said:
well if it's a bullshot i guess i could buy it but it still looks mad
i don't know that bullshot is a fair term. this a shot that was sent to famitsu for use in their magazine initially right?

traditionally such screenshots are almost always higher resolution and IQ than the final game, and that's across all games on all platforms.

if this is something they're labelling a 'screen' i'd call bullshot... but i'm really not sure that it is.

that blur effect i can guarantee you won't be in the game, and it won't look worse without it.

cvxfreak said:
We've gotten plenty of retcons, but the Umbrella Chronicles retcons were, for the most part, well done.
Nah...it just added things we didn't know before. I don't think there were actual retcons (disregarding those abominable retellings).

rockman zx said:
I have the feeling that this game will end all the speculation about Sherry, she is going to be a normal girl after RE2, they will retcon the wesker report again.
Well, Wesker's Report was written by Kato, the C:V director that also wrote GAIDEN.

Sipowicz said:
there's no way it's a wii game i'll tell you that
If that's an actual in-engine screenshot (with heavy AA and the blur effect added with Photoshop), I'll pull my hat, cavia.

cvxfreak

Prime Blue said:
Nah...it just added things we didn't know before. I don't think there were actual retcons (disregarding those abominable retellings).

I consider the new chapters featuring Rebecca and Ada to be retcons myself.

Prime Blue said:
If that's an actual in-engine screenshot (with heavy AA and the blur effect added with Photoshop), I'll pull my hat, cavia.
well it is in engine, but not running on a wii, and the blur has definitely been added later, but you obviously aren't sure. you're going to 'pull' your hat?

that doesn't sound like high stakes my friend.

Sipowicz

Banned
plagiarize said:
i don't know that bullshot is a fair term. this a shot that was sent to famitsu for use in their magazine initially right?

traditionally such screenshots are almost always higher resolution and IQ than the final game, and that's across all games on all platforms.

if this is something they're labelling a 'screen' i'd call bullshot... but i'm really not sure that it is.

that blur effect i can guarantee you won't be in the game, and it won't look worse without it.

i dont see that being gameplay, even if it is touched up

otherwise it would be approaching xbox 360 quality

plagiarize said:
well it is in engine, but not running on a wii, and the blur has definitely been added later, but you obviously aren't sure. you're going to 'pull' your hat?

that doesn't sound like high stakes my friend.

It's not in engine if they are changing so many things that fundamentally make up the games engine. Resolution, blur, AA, etc, etc. Yea this is totally in game engine though looks nothing like what it will!

The producer said in a interview a months ago that when they show a new stage nobody will believe thats a wii game,he say even ead guys are impressed

Blackbird| said:
The producer said in a interview a months ago that when they show a new stage nobody will believe thats a wii game,he say even ead guys are impressed

This is interesting.

Source?(Would be greatly appreciated)

JosM88 said:
This is interesting.

Source?(Would be greatly appreciated)

http://sickr.wordpress.com/2009/08/...evil-darkside-chronicles-pushes-wii-graphics/

“I think it’s perfectly possible to create great horror presentation on the Wii. In fact, unfortunately, we’re not able to show it off just yet, but very shortly we’re hoping to show off a stage from a new scenario and I think when fans get a look at that they will really be asking themselves, is this really on the Wii? Actually, we went to Nintendo’s offices earlier on this month to show them this new stage and they were really, really impressed by it and impressed by what we were able to get out of the Wii.”

Blackbird| said:
http://sickr.wordpress.com/2009/08/...evil-darkside-chronicles-pushes-wii-graphics/

“I think it’s perfectly possible to create great horror presentation on the Wii. In fact, unfortunately, we’re not able to show it off just yet, but very shortly we’re hoping to show off a stage from a new scenario and I think when fans get a look at that they will really be asking themselves, is this really on the Wii? Actually, we went to Nintendo’s offices earlier on this month to show them this new stage and they were really, really impressed by it and impressed by what we were able to get out of the Wii.”

Nice, I wouldn't know if the site is legit, but the statement seems in line with the shots(real nice under the bull).

I don't know why you didn't post the link along with your original statement.

:lol

Davey Cakes

ciD_Vain said:
jesus christ krauser's arms are huge. it's like chris all over again, haha.
Well, it's certainly a more appropriate trait for Krauser than it is for Chris, I'll tell you that.

It's more or a less a part of the guy's character, so it doesn't seem as weird. Chris getting super bulky was like a big "WTF?" to me, though.

BattleMonkey said:
It's not in engine if they are changing so many things that fundamentally make up the games engine. Resolution, blur, AA, etc, etc. Yea this is totally in game engine though looks nothing like what it will!
i don't think you understand development. games are generally developed on PCs or dev kits which are fully capable of rendering in engine scenes at higher resolutions than the Wii is.

the blur they've pasted on it is fucking hideous and does not make it look better in any way.

you've got decent models for the enemies, though again, nothing beyond what else we've seen for the game. i'm not sure what you guys think is beyond the wii other than IQ.

that environment isn't any more detailed than the area where you get the shotgun and run from the chainsaw guy in RE4. you've just got a bit better texturing on the enemies than RE4 had.

do those zombies look any better than these?

Resident-Evil-Darkside-Chronicles-1.jpg

i don't think so.

bomb_jack said:
I'd love if this new Krauser chapter was DLC for RE5 instead.
I agree. I'd love to somehow play this scenario and UC's exclusive chapter with RE4/RE5 gameplay. I've even been hoping for even some more of the older characters (Ada, Krauser, HUNK) as Mercenaries DLC.

Ooh looks good! Maybe I'll pick up a Wii next summer =3

[qoute]the stage is a South American riverside village and looks very similar to Kijuju (surprise!)[/quote]
thatsracist.gif

plagiarize said:
i don't think you understand development. games are generally developed on PCs or dev kits which are fully capable of rendering in engine scenes at higher resolutions than the Wii is.

the blur they've pasted on it is fucking hideous and does not make it look better in any way.

you've got decent models for the enemies, though again, nothing beyond what else we've seen for the game. i'm not sure what you guys think is beyond the wii other than IQ.

that environment isn't any more detailed than the area where you get the shotgun and run from the chainsaw guy in RE4. you've just got a bit better texturing on the enemies than RE4 had.

do those zombies look any better than these?

Resident-Evil-Darkside-Chronicles-1.jpg

i don't think so.

So this game coming to PC or a HD console? We get to play it on Dev kits now? No, simple manner of it all is that we are seeing bullshots, it doesn't matter if it's done in photoshop or in engine with some super computer, it's still not the version of the game that people are gonna get to play. Lot of console and game developers do it, somehow doesn't change the fact that is what we are seeing here. I don't like it when they do it for a 360 game, I'm not gonna like it on the Wii either.

Top Bottom