• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

hamchan

Basically:

-You lose all sense of progression with everything already unlocked.
-You have someone elses high scores to beat on the cart. If they're a lot better than you then it could be a very long time until you beat that score.
-They've taken away some value of a game that you own, dropping the price you could sell this game for on the secondary market.

Should be no questions as to why people aren't happy about this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Its just the precedent that I'm scared of.

I buy lots of used carts for 'retro' systems and starting fresh is a given.
Imagine 10 years from now not being able to get a 'clean' copy or having to pay a hefty premium.

Vamphuntr

hamchan said:
Basically:

-You lose all sense of progression with everything already unlocked.
-You have someone elses high scores to beat on the cart. If they're a lot better than you then it could be a very long time until you beat that score.
-They've taken away some value of a game that you own, dropping the price you could sell this game for on the secondary market.

Should be no questions as to why people aren't happy about this.

Capcom :(

This is pretty shoddy. It means you can't even let your friends or family borrow the game since they will alter your progression. Maybe we will eventually get a 3DS Action Replay that will be able to clear the game's save.

Vamphuntr said:
Capcom :(

This is pretty shoddy. It means you can't even let your friends or family borrow the game since they will alter your progression. Maybe we will eventually get a 3DS Action Replay that will be able to clear the game's save.

c'mon. There's plenty of games out there with one save file where you can't let family/friends borrow the game or else they either have to alter your progression or erase everything you've done. Big games like Pokemon.
...or DS games where if someone else puts your game into their DS, then your friend code data is erased.

Vamphuntr

IdreamofHIME said:
c'mon. There's plenty of games out there with one save file where you can't let family/friends borrow the game or else they either have to alter your progression or erase everything you've done. Big games like Pokemon.
...or DS games where if someone else puts your game into their DS, then your friend code data is erased.

Yes but in Pokemon you can do a New Game and save on top of your old save. Here you can't.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah the subtle difference here is that once you crack open a virgin cartridge and play it, it's forever played. It can never be reset for use by another person, and it's a game with a character leveling campaign (even without a story).

What people are boggling over, by the by, is simply the *idea* that we've gotten to this point. Publishers making a game "fire and forget". Play once, reach a complete state, and disallow resetting the game for any reason. Share with friends, gift to another, resell, or utility reasons.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gravijah said:
Huh, guess if I ever want to rent this I better do it soon.

... aw fuck. I didn't even think of Gamefly, etc.

Well, there's your answer for why this practice screws ppl over. It won't work with services like Gamefly. You'll get games already played to completion / everything done, unlocked.

Well, it's the power gamer way to see everything in the game quickly I guess!

Fat Goron

You know.... up until now, I had no idea that the 3DS games' save data are stored on the cartridge.

How comes that everyone complains about friend codes, shitty eShop, but never once I read about this before? It was "ok" for the DS, but, now? Seems stupid.

Gravijah

Fat Goron said:
You know.... up until now, I had no idea that the 3DS games' save data are stored on the cartridge.

How comes that everyone complains about fried codes, shitty eShop, but never once I read about this before? It was "ok" for the DS, but, now? Seems stupid.

I prefer handheld saves to be tied to the cartridge, but that's just me. I think the Vita will be doing the same thing?

matmanx1

Well after a couple of hours with Mercs 3D and Chris Redfield I am very impressed. It's something of a revolutionary title for a handheld and especially a Nintendo handheld. It looks and plays very, very closely to it's console counterpart and adds some really nifty tweaks and twists in the process.

The shooting and core Resident Evil mechanics are completely intact but the addition of weapon and item selection via a tap on the appropriate icon on the bottom screen works perfectly. I also have to admit the collection of medals (basically achievements) is pretty addicting and unlocking all of them will take some serious doing. Oh and while the sound is pretty weak through the 3DS speakers it's definitely improved with a pair of headphones as is the entire gameplay experience. You can actually hear the direction the baddies are coming from as long as you have "surround" enabled in the 3DS system settings.

I can't speak to the online play because I haven't tried it yet but the single player is a blast. It's THE Resident Evil Mercs experience on a Nintendo handheld with almost no compromises and that to me is impressive. Oh and the Revelations demo is mighty impressive although I died pretty quickly. I can't believe we're going to have to wait so long for that one =(

watershed

Banned
matmanx1 said:
Well after a couple of hours with Mercs 3D and Chris Redfield I am very impressed. It's something of a revolutionary title for a handheld and especially a Nintendo handheld. It looks and plays very, very closely to it's console counterpart and adds some really nifty tweaks and twists in the process.

The shooting and core Resident Evil mechanics are completely intact but the addition of weapon and item selection via a tap on the appropriate icon on the bottom screen works perfectly. I also have to admit the collection of medals (basically achievements) is pretty addicting and unlocking all of them will take some serious doing. Oh and while the sound is pretty weak through the 3DS speakers it's definitely improved with a pair of headphones as is the entire gameplay experience. You can actually hear the direction the baddies are coming from as long as you have "surround" enabled in the 3DS system settings.

I can't speak to the online play because I haven't tried it yet but the single player is a blast. It's THE Resident Evil Mercs experience on a Nintendo handheld with almost no compromises and that to me is impressive. Oh and the Revelations demo is mighty impressive although I died pretty quickly. I can't believe we're going to have to wait so long for that one =(

Nice. Can you respond to a few questions?
1. How is the difficulty level of the game?
2. Is the skill tree useful? Does it truly affect gameplay?
3. Related to difficulty, can you basically play the entire game using the shoot knee then melee trick?

matmanx1

artwalknoon said:
Nice. Can you respond to a few questions?
1. How is the difficulty level of the game?
2. Is the skill tree useful? Does it truly affect gameplay?
3. Related to difficulty, can you basically play the entire game using the shoot knee then melee trick?

1. Up through the 3rd group of missions for Chris it was pretty easy to not die but the intensity and difficulty ramps up towards the end of those missions. I did run out of time a couple of times and I've got some "B" ranks I'd like to go back and get "A" or "S" ranks on later if possible.

2. I unlocked only 2 skills so far (you can hold 3 at once) but I have already noticed they have an exp gauge attached to them and you get skill points for completing missions and as whatever skills you have equipped get that exp. The manual says they get better as you level them up and getting them to max level will incur bonuses.

3. Yes, I would imagine so, if you are really good. And it doesn't have to be a knee shot. So long as the enemy is staggered you get a short window for a melee hit. When you get it right it's pretty awesome and there are specific medals for combos and melee kills.

Teknoman

Back to game discussion, is there anyway to invite people from your friends list to play as long as they are on RE mercs?

demigod

I missed the LE case with RE Mercs from Capcom, didn't see it until now. Any places giving out free stuff with pre-order?

Truth101 said:
We've already had patches for games on the 3DS, so your statement is invalid.
Huh? We've had DLC, but that existed on DS as well so that's not new. But game patches? Which games would that be? And firmware updates != game patches.

Awesome. I was looking forward to this but this save game business means I won't be buying it at a high price. Second time this year you've lost a sale from me thanks to stupid DRM, Capcom! Keep it up!

Xander51

Blazblue II on the 3DS had the exact same save issue. Baffling to see Capcom do this.

That said I'm still really looking forward to the game.

Sectus

Can anyone with the game confirm whether or not you can play with people from other regions? Can you play with anyone from Japan?

samoset said:
Wow that really bums me out. I was hoping for a friends leaderboard at least to extend the score based gameplay. There's really no excuse for no inclusion of leaderboards whatsoever.

In the gameinformer preview it said that you can still move while in aiming mode. Does this mean your forced to aim with the buttons or touchscreen? Or can you still use the circle pad for both movement and aiming, like RE4/5? If it's only the first option then I need to cancel my pre-order immediately.
I should note that I don't have the game myself, so I'm just going off by what I've heard Capcom say or what people with the game have said. There's only one control scheme where you don't aim with the circle pad (move with circle pad and aim with face buttons). The other scheme works similar to RE4/5 but you can hold a shoulder button to strafe/move while aiming/firing.

web01

Just wow at not being able to reset saves, absolutely ridiculous!
Does any other game with such a "feature" even exist?

beje

Banned
Sadist said:
Guess I'll wait for it to bomba price in the UK. :/

Seeing how most launch games have been on sale in Amazon as low as 15GBP (including Pilotwings and SSFIV), I'd say you will be able to get it for that price or lower at the end of the summer (by the way, Ghost Recon, Rayman 3D and Rabbids 3D are at that price right now...)

Sadist

beje said:
Seeing how most launch games have been on sale in Amazon as low as 15GBP (including Pilotwings and SSFIV), I'd say you will be able to get it for that price or lower at the end of the summer (by the way, Ghost Recon, Rayman 3D and Rabbids 3D are at that price right now...)
Yeah, saw that as well. I'm thinking of getting all my stuff from the UK because the price difference is insane compared to Holland. But I've kinda restricted myself of buying more stuff for now, because next to OoT I allready bought three DS games on the cheap (Castlevania DoS, Rhythm Paradise and Final Fantasy XII RW) and I went online for the system update to get ExciteBike 3D. I'm fine for the next two months haha. (Online is pretty smooth on 3DS, unexpected)

But I love my RE...

dreamfall

Effect said:
Gamespot has a Now Playing of the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_re_the_mercenaries_3ds20110624

Hmm. I think I might have to change my mind. The save situation still sucks but the game looks to good to pass up.

They are also talking about Resident Evil: Revelations as well 18minutes into the view.

That was entirely awesome- I mean, it is a stripped down Mercenaries mode, but I'd love to really play that Revelations demo. Somewhat on the fence, but I enjoyed watching a couple of the mission run throughs. Portable mercenaries!

NateDrake

The mission oriented stuff in the game is a lot of fun. Just battled
the bat boss from Resident Evil 5 for an entire mission.
It was pretty cool and a nice way to create some difference. Seeing other enemies like
The Shredder from RE4
in the normal 'kill as many as you can' missions was terrifying.

PKrockin

Well, I was planning on Gameflying this because I wasn't interested in it enough for full price, but it looks like publishers still don't understand that one of the reasons they can sell games at $40 is because gamers can turn it around a few months later for $20.

Capcom, sell your game for full price and let me resell it like every other console and handheld game, or tie it to one system/account and offer discounts like Steam does. You can't have the best of both deals and I don't appreciate you insulting my intelligence by expecting me to go along with this.

basik

already preordered this game and I dont care about the save thing at all, but would this thing help?

http://www.renchi.com/renchi/NINTENDO_DSi_DS_Lite_Accessories_NDS_Save_Data_Adapter_Plus.htm

NDS Save Data Adapter allows users to back up game saves from DS cartridges to PC or vice versa. This means you can modify the game data on your PC, install cheat codes, share your game data with friends, and transfer it to other consoles. It adds much greater flexibility to your gaming experience!

Includes: NDS Adapter and CD with driver and user guide
Supported OS: Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista/7
Supports Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Black & White.
Editing game savers is possible.
Firmware upgrade will be available to support new games.
NEW! Firmware 3.01 supports 3DS Games.

Put in a couple of hours, and the game is blast. Lots to unlock and do; the Revelations demo is dreadfully short (don't buy it for that, in other words).

For future Mercs, please add me:

Vyse The Legend 4296-2976-2330 North America

PM me with your information.

Effect

Vyse The Legend said:
Put in a couple of hours, and the game is blast. Lots to unlock and do; the Revelations demo is dreadfully short (don't buy it for that, in other words).

For future Mercs, please add me:

Vyse The Legend 4296-2976-2330 North America

PM me with your information.

How does the online work? Does it automatically list friends from the 3DS friend list? If anyone has the Japanese version does the game work with the 3DS and if it detects a friend has the game or had it in the system it list them?

Flib

While the menus and such feel pretty low budget, and the save issue is pretty annoying, the game is super fun. Perfect portable title with the length of the matches.

RE: Revelations seems like it will be pretty great as well, but that is the shortest demo ever.

Effect said:
How does the online work? Does it automatically list friends from the 3DS friend list? If anyone has the Japanese version does the game work with the 3DS and if it detects a friend has the game or had it in the system it list them?

Good questions. If someone with the Japanese version (cvxfreak) adds me, I can test this out.

GeekyDad said:
We've seen a system firmware update to address a game issue.

Samurai Chronicles got map packs as DLC, actually.

The Firmware update for RR was to address a bug that happened when the eShop came out.

MooMoo

Effect said:
Gamespot has a Now Playing of the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_re_the_mercenaries_3ds20110624

Hmm. I think I might have to change my mind. The save situation still sucks but the game looks to good to pass up.

They are also talking about Resident Evil: Revelations as well 18minutes into the view.
These guys look and sound soo unexcited, which always bug me in these types of videos. One thing I noticed are the janky animations when enemies get distant (i.e. the bug boss guy). Hopefully this doesn't bother me while I'm actually playing the game. Another thing I noticed is that dropped items don't have the glowing column around them. Either way, I can't wait to get my hands on this on Tuesday! :D

Flib

This really is one of those games with so many issues, but in the end it's supremely addictive. It is a bit light on content though.

Flib said:
This really is one of those games with so many issues, but in the end it's supremely addictive. It is a bit light on content though.

How do you unlock skills? Do you use points that you earn through finishing missions?

Top Bottom