• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles: Official Thread

mcgarrett

sw26 said:
So as a Resi fanboy, is this worth picking up solely for the fanservice?

I'm still undecided having read the impressions of the actual gameplay, but I'm really into the Resi plot from the early games.
Overall I'd say it's a nice buy for the RE fan, though probably a bit on the expensive side. It's fun revisiting bits and pieces of RE's past; and the file collecting, weapon upgrading and ranking help to keep it interesting through subsequent playthroughs.

Zenith

Banned
Fady K said:
Finally got my copy. Cant wait to start.

Two things however:

1) This was developed by CAVIA?? Why didn't we know about this?? Damn this outsourcing secrecy.

What exactly is the source for this because the project was led by 2 Capcom employees.

[Nintex]

I just went out to see if I could find the game in the Netherlands:
"Resident Evil tommorow?, I wouldnt count on it considering the software shortages and demand for the system"

"Resident Evil.. I did get a box with Wii software this morning. No sorry, only edited for justice."

FUCK YOU NoE!

Ryuuga

Banned
I almost have absolutely nothing good to say about this title, maybe that it bares the RE name and it ties some of the history together for those who might not know. I haven't poured as much time into it as others though and I don't see myself doing that either. That is all.

[Nintex] said:
"Resident Evil tommorow?, I wouldnt count on it considering the software shortages and demand for the system"

"Resident Evil.. I did get a box with Wii software this morning. No sorry, only Tomb Raider."

FUCK YOU NoE!
Yeah, austrian version is hard to get as well (no german release). Will have to try my luck with play or blah and have to wait 1 or 2 weeks.

ksamedi

Got the game yesterday, its prety cool but way more fun in co-up. I also like the bosses and the music a lot (if you can call that music). Its also quite difficult.

Kosma

Banned
[Nintex] said:

"Resident Evil.. I did get a box with Wii software this morning. No sorry, only **** ******."

FUCK YOU NoE!

We got it today (Netherlands).....

Well my lunchbreak is over cya!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so this is out in Europe - but no zapper until next week!?

Are there any shops in the UK doing pistol shells? I don't really like the look of the zapper anyway - there was one by branco I think that looked ok.

So I picked it up today. Mixed reactions after playing a few levels. While I love seeing the old familiar areas and bosses from previous games (RPD <3) But one thing I don't like is the format of the levels. They feel so repetitive, ie. a quick pan through the level, shoot some zombies, then a new enemy is introduced, kill them, pan back through the level again , then a frustrating boss fight. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not bashing it one bit. I love the Resi franchise and glad i rushed out to buy this! :D

(P.S - The voice acting sucks... Wesker sounds so gay lol. I'm guessing these aren't the same actors who did the 0 and 1 remake. :( Ahh well)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its *really* slow too. Perhaps thats just me, expecting a standard light gun game but in the resident evil universe - you know, all whip pans to sudden encounters and surprises etc. But its fairly pedestrian (at least at the beginning)

and I don't like the wiimote. Tried looking down it as if it was a gun and it seems pretty accurate, but holding it is just wrong. I need my pointless adapter

Wonder if I could make one from lego...

WrikaWrek

Banned
I'm hating this game, only 10 min in, but it's taking control away from you in stupid situations then you get control back with the monsters already on your face, it's a bit lame right now.

But it's just 10 minutes.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
update: Here is my lego zapper! just quickly knocked together. I copied the basic idea of the branco gun, and have a sliding bit of technic lego which pulls against the B button.

wiilego.jpg

works pretty well.

And in umbrella chronicles, if you select the zapper mode, then actions (knife slash, weapon select etc) are all on the nunchuk.

So I have the pistol in my right hand, and the nunchuk in my left. perfect IMO. Might buy that branco shell now that I've checked that it feels right

As for UC - well, its better than when using the wiimote on its own IMO...but still a little dull for me. I'm not into resident evil, but just wanted a good light gun game. This doesn't give me that feel.

CrisKre

I personally am REALLY liking this. Im having tons of fun and, while its not perfect, it is a very satisfying experience. Who would have thunk it.

[Nintex]

Just got this game, impressions so far:
It's a bit slow compared to other lightgun games, but there's alot more going on the screen.
The desctructable environments are nice, but there are some documents hidden under a lamp and shit like that.
The graphics are great for a Wii game, although the framerate takes a hit way to often. It's really fun to play and I can't wait to see the later chapters, I'm currently at the first
Wesker mission
The sound effects are a bit weak, the guns are ok but the sound is just low quality over all. The music is much better than I expected.
Also the movie stuff is great, the voice acting is a bit cheesy at times but I can live with that.

It's really fun to play though and one of the best third party games for the Wii released so far in Europe. I can't wait to see what the later chapters have to offer, anyone who's interested should pick it up.

Bebpo

Banned
vala said:
Yeah, but the actual development (planning, programming, graphics)was done by Cavia . Capcom only did the story and art direction .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bChNHCEGmRE (credits)

THANK YOU.

I'd been asking for this information since day 1. Especially since back at E3 I mentioned I heard from a little bird that the game was being made by a shitty company like TOSE, and of course, no one believed it!

Explains why I think the game sucks ass.

Bishman

RE: UC is real fun with co-op. Been playing it with my brother. He is afraid of RE games. lol. He would watch me play all the RE games, so it thought it was cool when he saw all the familiar scenes and bosses.

This game really does feel like fan service for RE fans.

Mamesj

Banned
okay, I've done everything but the Umbrella's End missions and WOW. I am seriously blown away. This is easily the best on rails shooter I've played. My only complaint is the sound mix-- I turned the sound effects down about half way and now it's perfect. before the gun shots and zombies covered up the kick ass soundtrack.

Otherwise, I think the game is pretty spot on-- looks way better than your usual Wii graphics, the controls are awesome once you get used to them (though occasionally it doesn't register the waggle for a counterattack), and the level design is very well done. The fact that it has a ridiculous amount of unlockable content is nice too. I have to say, while I've never been a huge RE fan, this has motivated me to pick up REmake and RE:0.

on top of all that, Wesker sounds exactly like Judge Whitey from Futurama :lol

wazoo

Bebpo said:
THANK YOU.

I'd been asking for this information since day 1. Especially since back at E3 I mentioned I heard from a little bird that the game was being made by a shitty company like TOSE, and of course, no one believed it!

Explains why I think the game sucks ass.

so this is made outside Capcom, so is Okami.

What real inhouse ressources are Capcom devoting to the Wii ??

Do we even know if MH3 will be done inhouse ??

gconsole

Cerebral Assassin said:
Okami was always made outside of Capcom(it was done by clover, no?) and isn't Zack & wiki inhouse?

Clover is Capcom. The studio even locate inside Capcom's building.

Booser

Im loving this game so far. So far Im at the first Wesker mission. I dont have any problems with the pacing at all, after all its meant to replicate as best possible the tension of a RE game rather then a full out shooter.

Revisiting the locations from the previous games was a blast (hooray the police station was there!) and the graphics surprised me with how good they were for a full 3d game on the wii. Everybody was complaining about the sudden drop in quality at the RE3 stages (seemingly based on the outbreak games?) but I didnt see this at all. They looked just as good.

Co-op is where the best fun is at, it really is fantastic.

i have got a question, to play this game with two people, do you need two nunchuck extentions?

No, two remotes work fine.

Zenith

Banned
Cerebral Assassin said:
I thought Capcom just Bankrolled Clover(I know a lot of Capcom staff worked on okami) but Clover were run as a subsidiary.

Clover is just another capcom studio, except given greater creative independence.

RTS83

mrklaw said:
update: Here is my lego zapper! just quickly knocked together. I copied the basic idea of the branco gun, and have a sliding bit of technic lego which pulls against the B button.

works pretty well.

And in umbrella chronicles, if you select the zapper mode, then actions (knife slash, weapon select etc) are all on the nunchuk.

So I have the pistol in my right hand, and the nunchuk in my left. perfect IMO. Might buy that branco shell now that I've checked that it feels right

As for UC - well, its better than when using the wiimote on its own IMO...but still a little dull for me. I'm not into resident evil, but just wanted a good light gun game. This doesn't give me that feel.

Branco shell?

Prospero

I've just started playing this in earnest this weekend--a little bit of co-op, and a little bit of solo. So far I'm pleased.

I love the pacing. During the slow bits it's time for target practice with lights and candles; then the mayhem starts again.

I'm finding it pretty hard, but not crazily difficult--I don't have much prior experience with lightgun games, though. I had to play through Train Derailment twice to get a strong enough weapon to beat Train Derailment 2, and my impression is that for the average gamer the game is balanced to require repeat plays of stages in order to beat it.

Is it me, or is the shotgun underpowered? (I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread before.) In the RE0 stages I shoot enemies point blank at close range, and they either shake it off as if I've tossed sand in their face, or they just sort of fall over. A blast from a video game shotgun should either remove an appendage or make a zombie sit down, as if puzzled at what just happened. And when I played in co-op, whoever took the submachine gun invariably racked up the most kills.

Also--critical hits? I'm S- or A-ranking everything but those, where I get a C-rank: maybe 1 CH per scenario. It looks like I'm getting headshots and such. What counts as critical?

Definitely worth a purchase for fans of this type of game, or RE nuts. The game itself is pretty challenging in later stages, and the pace improves a lot once you're through the first set of missions. It's deeper than I expected, and the ranking and weapon improvement is a great incentive to keep playing missions over and over.

That said, it's painfully obvious that this was a pretty low-budget exercise - reused assets from earlier games, little new content, reused files in the document archives, the RE3 scenario which completely butchers the original so it can use Outbreak environments etc. - and while it is attractive in sections - mostly the mansion, IMO, with the Neptune tank being a good example - it is not up to what the system is capable of.

I'm having a blast with it, and I can accept its faults because I'm aware of its development history, but if Capcom are going to bring any more RE titles to the system - and I sincerely hope they do - they should now be looking at actually putting more talent and money behind them and coming up with something a little fresher.

sprocket

Banned
Love the game. There is a lot more to it than I initially thought.

It is really pushing the on rail shooter genre forward. Not to mention bringing some nice visuals to the Wii along with it.

Prospero said:
Also--critical hits? I'm S- or A-ranking everything but those, where I get a C-rank: maybe 1 CH per scenario. It looks like I'm getting headshots and such. What counts as critical?

For critical hits you have to aim precisely in the middle of the forehead. The red dot will change when you have one lined up. You can tell when you've got one because it fully decapitates the zombie.

Prospero

Air Zombie Meat said:
For critical hits you have to aim precisely in the middle of the forehead. The red dot will change when you have one lined up. You can tell when you've got one because it fully decapitates the zombie.

Thanks.

bigswords

Thriller said:
i have got a question, to play this game with two people, do you need two nunchuck extentions?

You don't need to, but it's easier to change weapons with the C button on the nunchuck rather then the d pad on the Wii remote. Well to me at least.

Prospero

Okay--I do not understand the pattern behind the RE0 final boss. I've beaten it once, but it still doesn't make complete sense to me. Here's what I've got:

--Shoot it in the mouth to drive it into the sunlight.
--When it's in the sunlight, unload on it with all you've got.
--when you get the QTE notice, dodge.

Here's the thing, though--it appears to have three unblockable attacks.

1. At the beginning of the fight, sometimes it'll turn so that its mouth is facing to the left; then it'll attack (by flinging around a limb or something?)

2. When you're on the platform looking down on it (which is a pain in the ass because of the angle--not even moving the camera with the nunchuk helps much), it'll spit stuff out of the flower-like thing on its back.

3. During the final phase of the fight (you know, when you have to back it into the sunlight by pressing A to move, except that pressing button detection doesn't always register?), sometimes it'll rear up and start waving around; then it'll smack you.

Does it have weak spots during the moment it's prepping for the attack? In instances 1 and 3 above its mouth isn't even visible. Or am I getting penalized with an unblockable for poor performance?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
This really is the deepest lightgun game ever made and very easy to pick up and play. My sister loved watching us play REmake and RE4 but since she was a crack shot in Wii Play I offered her to play and before you know it she was getting 40 plus critical hits per level which is where the deepness comes from. You can shoot your way through the entire game using powerful machine guns, shotguns, grenade/rocket launchers but it's the handgun that can only be used for a critical hit so expert players will stick with that 90 percent of the time and just collect ammo for your other weapons. I give this game a solid B+ especially if you're a fan of RE just try to look past the first 3 levels which are more annoying than fun until you properly learn how to play. Something satisfying about making hunters heads explode with pin needle accuracy and skill. Haters be damned.

Top Bottom