• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village: Castle Demo - PS5 Gameplay

rubhen925

Hey guys, I made a thread for the Village demo last week and here I am again. This time for the Castle demo. It went live on the US side at 8 PM EST and runs till 4 AM on 25th. Here's some info.

1) You get to talk to the Merchant called Duke. He lets you buy stuff like ammo, healing items, etc. Also lets you sell stuff and upgrade your guns.
2) Most of the demo is a backwards way around the Maiden Demo except with Ethan and now you got enemies.
3) Lady D is seen in the wine cellar but thats it
4) Vampire chick chases you a couple times
5) New Enemy type. An old hag type enemy holding different weapons such as swords, maces, axes, etc. Took a ton of bullets even when gun was leveled to Power 2
6) New weapon, the Pipebomb. It took the enemy down one hit on Standard.
7) Unlike last time this time i got to record in 4K! Ray tracing like last time is turned on. FPS was mostly 60 it felt like. I'm sure DF or other sources will confirm soon.

Let me know what you guys think about the demo if you get a chance. And remember if you missed out on both the Village and Castle demos, next week there is a 60 min demo that includes both Demos.

Cheers

rubhen925

I really enjoyed this demo. Love the environment, blowing up 8 zombies with a pipe bomb feels great, and I love the save room music that plays in the room with the Duke. I even caught a little reference to RE4's Merchant when the Duke mentions something his old friend used to say.
Yea there was a bit more tension in this as the environments aren't too open. Unlike last demo. In the previous demo I felt no threat lol.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really enjoyed this demo. Love the environment, blowing up 8 zombies with a pipe bomb feels great, and I love the save room music that plays in the room with the Duke. I even caught a little reference to RE4's Merchant when the Duke mentions something his old friend used to say.
This is a good sign. A very good sign. That’s what they said about coming close to being like Resident Evil 4. I have yet to start it. I will do so here soon.

kikii

Yes hurry. For 8 hours. Don't miss it haha.
am i doing smt wrong ??? :p screen was taken 2mins ago

6WbznHh.jpg

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Gold Member
This demo crashed on My ps5 múltiple times, I was about to finish it and it crashed
Sorry man, that happened to me towards the end of my Village demo run. It didn't happen to me on this Castle demo though thankfully.

I do think the Castle demo is quite the looker. Excellent textures and whatnot inside, great lighting. Plenty of combat too, I liked the merchant aspect, being able to sell treasure was cool, I look forward to being able to explore the environment more. First game I recall doing the Mummy "bugs under skin" thing lol. Just too short, and pausing doesn't stop the timer, as I was rushing to eat a bowl of ice cream before it melted lol. Still managed to finish the demo though, and it was much better for me switching to Japanese voices and especially messing with the settings to adjust the sensitivity and camera responsiveness. This time I didn't get a colossal headache. I like the environments and foes much more than 7, so that's a big plus. Also I like seeing games say that friends have preordered games lol, except I wish there was a way to see a more detailed list, like mine said 3 others and only one avatar lol.
I forgot this came out until I was browsing Youtube and saw Radical Reggie was streaming it live, the only thing is I saw his timer was crazy high, like 30+ minutes iirc. I thought maybe he was playing a hacked demo on pc but he said it was OG PS4, and it looked good on the compressed stream. Only a little bit of sacrifices made, I'd say its still a looker on last gen.

Astral Dog

okokok, just finished this demo i couldn't believe my eyes my jaw was dropped the whole time 😳

Insanely gorgeous art direction i can't believe how much better VIII looks compared to VII on what is essentially the same hardware.

And the framerate felt much better inside the castle. The village demo left somewhat mixed impressions(but positive) this one blows it out of the water, im honestly surprised REngine impressed this late in the generation. This game looks amazing its gonna be a winner

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I played for demo and explored quite a bit... didn’t finish it on my first try but saw a lot of the castle. Mostly a retread of the maiden demo, location-wise. I’ll probably play it through on a dummy account next and aim for completion. I must’ve missed the section with “all the enemies” everyone keeps talking about, I ran into the invincible annoying vampire lady, but that was it.

Last edited:
Is this for PS5 only? I cant find it on the PS4 store except the demo I downloaded a week ago. Or should i redownload the same demo but it will be the castle one?

Golgo 13

Is this for PS5 only? I cant find it on the PS4 store except the demo I downloaded a week ago. Or should i redownload the same demo but it will be the castle one?
This is admittedly VERY confusing but YES It’s the same download. It just loads a different part (the castle) when it validates your internet connection.

Golgo 13

okokok, just finished this demo i couldn't believe my eyes my jaw was dropped the whole time 😳

Insanely gorgeous art direction i can't believe how much better VIII looks compared to VII on what is essentially the same hardware.

And the framerate felt much better inside the castle. The village demo left somewhat mixed impressions(but positive) this one blows it out of the water, im honestly surprised REngine impressed this late in the generation. This game looks amazing its gonna be a winner
Did you play the Maiden demo?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played for demo and explored quite a bit... didn’t finish it on my first try but saw a lot of the castle. Mostly a retread of the maiden demo, location-wise. I’ll probably play it through on a dummy account next and aim for completion. I must’ve missed the section with “all the enemies” everyone keeps talking about, I ran into the invincible annoying vampire lady, but that was it.
I was wondering if she is the one whose voice actress passed away a couple months ago.

Golgo 13

No only the castle and village demos
Reason I asked is because the location is pretty much exactly the same as the Maiden demo (except in Maiden you couldn’t fight), and I agree that it’s a hell of a good looking castle, far better than the last demo. I actually hope the majority of the game takes place indoors so the fidelity of the visuals can stay at that level.

kunonabi

Just finished. Looks the nicest of the three demos but the gameplay still isnt doing it for me. The vampire lady sequences are just dull and the rest of it is still pretty uninteresting. At least the enemies didnt run away this time.

killatopak

Gold Member
Finished this just a couple of minutes ago.

Looks great and tense.

My only worry is how bullet spongy the enemies are. I even tried hitting some in the face and they just shrugged it off so I just went rambo with handgun.

J-Roderton

Finished this just a couple of minutes ago.

Looks great and tense.

My only worry is how bullet spongy the enemies are. I even tried hitting some in the face and they just shrugged it off so I just went rambo with handgun.

For real. I played on easy mode and I still had to shoot enemies like crazy to drop them.

Md Ray

Ha, Ethan waking up at the beginning of this demo reminded me of the RE7 Beginning Hour demo, a nice callback.

It looks like a different game inside the castle.

Maybe it is a social commentary on how the ruling class see the world so differently to the working class. Maybe Capcom artists are shit at doing external environments. A real mystery for our times.

ahmyleg

Banned
Boring and cringeworthy. Not scary at all, even played in the dark with headphones on. I'm tired of this formulaic shit. Fucking embarrassing. And what's with these stupid timed demos? Wtf are they thinking? It's not a game you're supposed to "rush" through. Already not scary but even less scary because of that. I was looking forward to this when the first trailer dropped last year, but it's just looked worse and worse since then gameplay and story/writing-wise.

Kirazuki_01

Neo Member
This game looks better and better every time I see it. I love all of the RE4 stuff thats here like the merchant and sellable treasure. Seems like they are just running with that and I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Calverz

I really wanted to like this game. I hoped the castle demo would alleviate some of the fears i had after village demo but it didnt. For me, it makes zero sense to make this game without vr. It so obviously designed around VR. I wonder if they planned for psvr2 to be ready by now?
Overall pretty disappointed. The enemies are such bullet sponges too. Ud be as well just running past them tbh

II_JumPeR_I

I really wanted to like this game. I hoped the castle demo would alleviate some of the fears i had after village demo but it didnt. For me, it makes zero sense to make this game without vr. It so obviously designed around VR. I wonder if they planned for psvr2 to be ready by now?
Overall pretty disappointed. The enemies are such bullet sponges too. Ud be as well just running past them tbh
Game is not designed for VR lol

Salz01

I wonder how big the actual game is going to be. Like how much bigger than RE7. After the house in RE7, the game wasnt as good. Hope its not the case for RE8 and the castle.

killatopak

Gold Member
I wonder how big the actual game is going to be. Like how much bigger than RE7. After the house in RE7, the game wasnt as good. Hope its not the case for RE8 and the castle.
I’m hoping for RE4 length or shorter. Around 12-15 hours.

jeffyjaixx

I agree with the bullet sponge comment. I was playing on casual and it took 3 pistol headshots and a body shot to kill one of those things. Shotgun was like hit or miss one shot to the head depending on bullet spread. I felt like I was playing on normal.

Top Bottom