• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village: Castle Demo - PS5 Gameplay

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Someone please, go into photo mode while Lady D is onscreen and you're crawling thought the hole.
0-CFDE390-4766-4-F25-AFDE-A4725-E986585.jpg

It is funny you ask because that was one of a couple of screenshots that I took. Here is another screenshot I took:
EE56-B92-A-3-E37-43-AA-AEDD-634-C9-B7-FCCC9.jpg

Last edited:

SuperGooey

I have a feeling Village will be a great game with some of the best moments in the series, but will overall feel unpolished and mechanically flawed. That's just the impression I get from these demos, but I'm totally open to being wrong on that second part.

SkylineRKR

You can run up against the candles to light the fires. Saves ammo.

I didn't go out of my way to find treasure, but its interesting if you sell your handgun that you will get shotgun ammo for a shotgun run. I also played non-upgraded, the handgun is weak as fuck. Upgrades though I could take them down with 5 ish shots.

rofif

Banned
This will be excellent. Loved both (3) demos so far.
Still can't decide if virtual surround for headphones be enabled in the game or not since 3d audio is already enable in system settings on ps5

TheGejsza

Played on hardcore. Enemies can tak more than 10 bullets. I was pissed of at first but they are pretty easily outmanovered but... there's better trick.

You can lure them back to the room with hanging torches and if they get near it they will burn. It's cool. I hope there are more environmental tricks like this that will help conserve ammo.

Astral Dog

I have a feeling Village will be a great game with some of the best moments in the series, but will overall feel unpolished and mechanically flawed. That's just the impression I get from these demos, but I'm totally open to being wrong on that second part.
RE7 was very well polished i don't expect major flaws in RE8 systems 👌compared to say, RE4, 5 or 6
Treasure hunting, item crafting, weapon upgrading, resource managment will work well.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Finish the demo in 19min, prefer it to the Village but still think it's just gonna be a good game but not the "OMG RE is back" good.

Still not feeling the setting, myself. Just seems very silly and 'Hammer House Of Horrors' stuff. Coming after the grimy, more realistic setting of 7 it's a disappointment.

Astral Dog

Still not feeling the setting, myself. Just seems very silly and 'Hammer House Of Horrors' stuff. Coming after the grimy, more realistic setting of 7 it's a disappointment.
Its certainly a more, typical 'beautiful' fantasy horror setting than RE7 southern louisiana gritty house, but they are handling it very well imho, keep in mind Resident Evil was never THAT scary until 7.and there are other 'houses' we haven't seen yet becayse they focus so much on the Dimitrescu castle, those could be very spooky.

Anyways the attention to detail is there, every part of the castle is filled with detail and story in the style of REmake. and i love the gothic religious setting very happy how VILLAGE is turning out.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Finish the demo in 19min, prefer it to the Village but still think it's just gonna be a good game but not the "OMG RE is back" good.
I have to say I replayed RE5 lately. Can't believe I have had fun 10 years ago to this flat gameplay with awful controls, good Lord. And I love to play retro game just to be clear, it's not matter to be just dated, for example I still love to replay GTA4. RE7 is definitely a league ahead to whatever RE was released on ps360, and I don't even think it's the best RE possible, to be honest. The ps360 era was a disgrace worse for this series far more than the latest.

Last edited:

Camreezie

I've got big hopes after the demo. Took me 14 minutes this time. If we get a similar length to RE7 I will say job well done.

Just finished the demo at 19 something minutes, I'm excited! I might replay RE7 to prepare, damn those sounds the monsters make are unnerving.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Resident Evil was never THAT scary until 7.
I keep hearing this and it's kinda weird because to me I never had a sense of fear at all from RE7, and I played in VR.
In Fact I've laughed twice and rolled my eyes at both games now, Baby Doll dropping from the shelf in RE7 & the body dropping in the dungeon in RE8
The Family was more comical then anything too
Like I said a week ago, after playing the Village Demo I booted up the RE2remake and going through the corridors of the Police Station still has that unnerving atmosphere even though I'm fully aware of what ahead
And it's something RE7 & 8 Completely lacks

I have to say I replayed RE5 lately. Can't believe I have had fun 10 years ago to this flat gameplay with awful controls, good Lord
Yeah I wasn't over keen on it when it first released.

SkylineRKR

I have to say I replayed RE5 lately. Can't believe I have had fun 10 years ago to this flat gameplay with awful controls, good Lord. And I love to play retro game just to be clear, it's not matter to be just dated, for example I still love to replay GTA4. RE7 is definitely a league ahead to whatever RE was released on ps360, and I don't even think it's the best RE possible, to be honest. The ps360 era was a disgrace worse for this series far more than the latest.

Yeah its hard to play nowadays. Still, I had my moments with RE5 not too long ago. But you have to play by its rules and that is very limited controls and movement. 4 arguably controls even worse. 6 fixed that but is a way worse game regardless. I rather fire up 2 or 3 remakes. The nail both the gameplay and classic RE settings.

Its certainly a more, typical 'beautiful' fantasy horror setting than RE7 southern louisiana gritty house, but they are handling it very well imho, keep in mind Resident Evil was never THAT scary until 7.and there are other 'houses' we haven't seen yet becayse they focus so much on the Dimitrescu castle, those could be very spooky.

Anyways the attention to detail is there, every part of the castle is filled with detail and story in the style of REmake. and i love the gothic religious setting very happy how VILLAGE is turning out.

The game is called Village so I guess there isn't a trick to it like 4 that had a village, castle and island with the island being shit. VII had the house and the guest house, those were great. But it went downhill after those 2 locations. The mine was downright bad. It could be that Village and the castle are the first half of the game, and they deliberately didn't show anything beyond this. In that case I hope it won't be a linear shitfest like the final third of REVII.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Yeah its hard to play nowadays. Still, I had my moments with RE5 not too long ago. But you have to play by its rules and that is very limited controls and movement. 4 arguably controls even worse. 6 fixed that but is a way worse game regardless. I rather fire up 2 or 3 remakes. The nail both the gameplay and classic RE settings.

The game is called Village so I guess there isn't a trick to it like 4 that had a village, castle and island with the island being shit. VII had the house and the guest house, those were great. But it went downhill after those 2 locations. The mine was downright bad. It could be that Village and the castle are the first half of the game, and they deliberately didn't show anything beyond this. In that case I hope it won't be a linear shitfest like the final third of REVII.
Yeah there are gonna be 2 or3 big areas beside the castle wich we don't know much about(one is the factory) , and apparently Capcom worked hard on addresing the criticism of the last third of RE7.lets hope they are as good as the castle!

Astral Dog

I keep hearing this and it's kinda weird because to me I never had a sense of fear at all from RE7, and I played in VR.
In Fact I've laughed twice and rolled my eyes at both games now, Baby Doll dropping from the shelf in RE7 & the body dropping in the dungeon in RE8
Like I said a week ago, after playing the Village Demo I booted up the RE2remake and going through the corridors of the Police Station still has that unnerving atmosphere even though I'm fully aware of what ahead

Agree to disagree i didn't found RE2 as scary as 7 (though mr. X is quite menacing 😳) the family is charismatic in a Bhorror movie style way i love about RE, specially uncle Jack.

Zoe and Joe are cool too

tassletine

Just finished RE7, and whilst I wasn't a huge fan it was very atmospheric in parts and had some nice touches. I love the series as a whole though.

Having played this new one (and didn't play the earlier demos) this feels off. Felt more like playing Doom, running around at such a high speed. Surely that's not what RE is about? Being able to zip around almost nullified any threat.
I finished it in 14m on Medium, didn't explore much, but I was expecting at least half an hours gameplay, and not much really happened.
Ran around, dodged the bee lady and blew up a couple of witches, but mainly ran, picking up items at speed, much like Doom.

Pretty unimpressive for a demo (apart from the graphics and sound) as the gameplay was minimal. I dread to think what a person who'd never played these games might think. Nothing really stood out.

kunonabi

RE7 basically gave up on trying to be scary almost immediately. Ethan getting his hand chopped off seemed like this huge tone setting moment to expect the unexpected and then it just gets reattached with magic water. Like why should anything matter after that? The game was painfully pedestrian after that point and actually got worse as it went along.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Agree to disagree i didn't found RE2 as scary as 7 (though mr. X is quite menacing 😳) the family is charismatic in a Bhorror movie style way i love about RE, specially uncle Jack.

Zoe and Joe are cool too
I wouldn't say scary, just dread and feeling something is wrong & bad has happened.
It nails that.
Compared to "there's some sick fucks that live here and I'm gonna fuck them up"

SkylineRKR

I like the gunplay. Bullet impact feels good though the enemies are tough. Still, you can shoot weapons out of their hands and also down them with leg shots. Its still RE, doesn't need to be too easy to power through. The whole game feels immersive, I can see certain gamers getting nauseous from it but there are some modifiers. I like the visuals, while not impressive from a technical standpoint. Some objects look flat, there is little to no interactivity with curtains etc. I guess this is a sacrifice for the 60fps target. If it had all bells and whistles it would be 30fps and the tears would flow. Village is a cross gen game, a very early next-gen release and Capcoms first new game essentially. I guess 9 will show what they can do. And judging by the technical prowess of the Remakes, they can do quite a bit.

I disliked Maiden, as there was no action and the character had no limbs. But the recent demos felt good.

Be happy with such an early AAA release. Everyone can play it, also people who can't find an X or PS5. Even the S version seems to be solid at 1440p.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Lots of blurry textures on PS5, still an awesome game tho
I felt the game looks amazing...
If You are this detailed about 500usd console graphics... You better get 5000usd pc.
Btw - anyone getting it on ps5 over pc? The dualsense gun stuff is pretty cool but I think pc will be the way to go

Miles708

I can't get over how outstanding this looks on base PS4, most of the time at 60fps too! This is incredible.

Bramble

Crapcom and their time limited demo's, what a load of shit. Stick your demo up your arse Crapcom! In all seriousness though, this is terrible way to promote your game.

I love it how 98% of games don't have a demo nowadays and nobody really complains. But if you do release a demo and make it a timed one, people give you shit. I'm just happy I got to try both demo's and will be able to try again next week.

Miles708

I love it how 98% of games don't have a demo nowadays and nobody really complains. But if you do release a demo and make it a timed one, people give you shit. I'm just happy I got to try both demo's and will be able to try again next week.
Well that's not surprising, you're adding artificial scarcity to a freaking demo.

The good thing is that they've done the same for RE7, and ultimately released a time-unlimited demo, so I hope this will be the case too .

I quite like the "event" demo thinking, but only if they release it for good afterwards.

Last edited:

Bramble

Well that's not surprising, you're adding artificial scarcity to a freaking demo.

The good thing is that they've done the same for RE7, and ultimately released a time-unlimited demo, so I hope this will be the case too .

I quite like the "event" demo thinking, but only if they release it for good afterwards.

I don't even know why RE needs a demo. I mean it's first person RE like RE7 with a new setting. RE7 is about getting chased, solving puzzles, getting scared and shooting shit. It's not something completely new like Returnal. Now that game needs a demo. Not RE8.

Miles708

I don't even know why RE needs a demo. I mean it's first person RE like RE7 with a new setting. RE7 is about getting chased, solving puzzles, getting scared and shooting shit. It's not something completely new like Returnal. Now that game needs a demo. Not RE8.
It was a new direction for RE, it makes sense in the way capcom is handling it. I wasn't entirely convinced, for example, but the demo surprised me greatly and now I'm gonna 100% buy it

Bramble

It was a new direction for RE, it makes sense in the way capcom is handling it. I wasn't entirely convinced, for example, but the demo surprised me greatly and now I'm gonna 100% buy it

How is it a new direction? It's basically the same game as 7 with a new setting and new enemies.

Armorian

Banned
These settings are on by default so I imagine a lot of people won't like the feel of the game and give it a bad review.

I felt sick playing before I turned them off.

PYqtoqY.jpg

Yeah, I thought the game had input lag on par with Killzone 2 before I turned off camera acceleration... Dogshit.

But game itself looks and runs great on Pro (1080p mode), I'm very interested Capcom

Miles708

How is it a new direction? It's basically the same game as 7 with a new setting and new enemies.
Oh sorry, I meant with 7. Yeah 8 is just 7 but made with much more confidence, also this demo-event worked well for them in the past so it makes sense to repeat it. I suppose it's working again

Needlecrash

Gave the Castle demo a shot. I'm glad I did because I was feeling kind of underwhelmed from the Village demo. On a base PS4, this game looked stunning and performed pretty well. Seems like Capcom has made strides with the RE Engine. Lighting was on point and it ran pretty stable too.

My only gripe were the enemies. They're DEFINITELY bullet sponges. No wonder why they give you a lot of ammo in the demo. I'll be getting the game on PC this time for the sweet ray tracing and boost in everything else (RTX 3080).

I'm a full pass on this game.
I was underwhelmed by the first demo but since it wasn't gameplay I was still open. These last couple demo's with the 30 minute time limit really turned me off. Not sure why they did this. I had no intentions on replaying the demo after it timed me out the first time . Kill me off and I will replay but time me out and I am done.. They can waste their own time...

Jaxcellent

Cool demo, I'm really into the game and setting and it looked super fine on my pro! Altho it did sound louder then my vacuum cleaner, so need to put on my headset.

I just bought Resi4 in the store.. i never played it, and i hear there alot of fun references in VIIlage. I dont think i can wait for a VR version of VIllage i need to play it ASAP.

MiguelItUp

I'll watch video, but that's about it. Game is dropping really soon, can't wait. I feel REALLY good about this, and I hope it's warranted in every possible way, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I just wish there was a collector's I care about, I feel like there haven't been good collector's for me in a long time. Before DOOM Eternal, I can't even remember what the last one I bought was... Hell, maybe it was DOOM 2016? Lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom