• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village: Exclusive Look At How Upgrades Work

sublimit

Banned
I don’t know I have a good feeling about this game, I didn’t like the last one but this one looks and feels like Resident Evil.
Neither RE7 or this one look like Resident Evil to me (no forced inclusion of past elements are enough to make a game RE) but at least this one has a more interesting setting and it actually looks more scarier than the disgusting hillbilly crap that was RE7. Someone should explain to Capcom that the feelings of disgust and fear are two very different emotions. The former is cheap and anyone can do it but the later requires effort,subtlety and intelligence.

Last edited:

Lux R7

It doesn't look that deep. It's basically shooting village livestock in the ass not full on far cry hunting

yeah but this is Resident Evil...btw i'm fine with this, not a game changer, i just think it's a weird way to get permanent upgrades in this kind of game.

Thanks for the story spoiler. Now i know...
...hes looking for his daughter
WTF i expilcitly avoided all other trailers just to be spoiled by an UPGRADE trailer.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t get the “RE has changed”. Resident Evil has always changed in some way, shape or form. They’ve had first person view in there since RE Survivor. The whole RE4-6 change was because the franchise was kinda out out the door in the first place. You had to have RE4 to get it back to being successful again. You’ve had numerous entries such as Survivor, Dead Aim, Umbrella Chronicles, and Darkside Chronicles. You have the fixed camera control saga, the first person rail games, the third person OTS camera, and then the complete first person perspective experience. You’ve seen the franchise try many different things and for better or for worse. It offers a lot of diversity and gives the franchise some very different ways to portray the world of Resident Evil.

I was listening to a podcast (Biohazard Declassified) about this as well. If I think about it, I’m left thinking we’d get burned out by the fixed camera perspective if that’s the only way they could deliver RE year after year. You saw what OTS did after a while. It was an action game with a virus that did whatever it wanted to do. IMO RE7 and Village stand out on top of that because you are taking a step back, you aren’t thrown into another action packed scenario, and you’re given a chance to see the impact of the characters that helped define this genre. Playing as Ethan is a lot like playing as “you the player” in a lot of ways. You get to see what years of this virus and these corporations existing has done to the world. In my mind, it gets a lot creepier as time progresses. If anything, try and reboot it or bring back the original RE feeling after Village. To me, Village is a perfect fit. It takes the fear and molds it. It shows that there is a lot of context beyond the all star cast of characters. Even if they get “rid” of some of the casts, Capcom sets themselves up for another good reboot of the franchise. Which I think is the only thing that non-fans of RE7/Village actually want to be honest.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Did you play on PS4? I think it was ok on Xbox
Dishonored 2 had latency issue which was fixed later via patch, at least on pro. I remember it was really terrible before the update, but they definitely fixed it. Quite later to be honest, if I'm not wrong a bit early of the solo expansion release .

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I just want a new RE game that isn't a REmake
I'll still get it, I already have it pre-ordered as they're still decent games, like the spin offs
But giving us REmake 2 & 3(yes REmake3 even with it's flaws) just makes this so disappointing
Hopefully this is better then RE7

WellSheet

I’m curious how “open” world this ends up being - if at all.

I am, like many others I’d wager, pretty overcooked on open world games....but I feel like denser, smaller open world/Metroidvania (which many RE level design has always heavily taken influence from) could be really unique if done right.

One of my favorite games is the The Evil Within 2 for the very fact of how it layered in some open world exploration into Survival/action Horror game. That’s not a genre combo we’ve really seen done, and done right.

Control and Prey are two others that I think are well balanced and designed from quest structure, level density and layouts.

Last edited:
Not just graphics even the mechanics are too generic p.t had a better gameplay mechanic it wa very natural conematic and horrific feel an all round better production but this game feels like every hirror game ive played since the ps2 and its getting so boring now.
That's fair enough, I didn't play the demo and I suppose the full game could be a different proposition, I hope so anyway.

That's fair enough, I didn't play the demo and I suppose the full game could be a different proposition, I hope so anyway.
We need new innovations in gameplay mechanics and a very few games have that. Best game mechanics in my record is, limbo, maxpayne, splinter cell, first hitman games, need for speed, battlefield badcompany 1,2 batman arkham series one of the best combat mechanics, assassins creed 1,2 but everything else apart from this list mostly have generic boring mechanics ive played most nextgen games and besides the graphics everything else feels dejavu its like ive played them a million times before. I find cod games boring, gears of war boring, new battlefield games boring, everythings just boring nothing is thrilling me anymore. Batman arkham asylum took me off my seat, i fell inlove with limbo so i need that type of feeling

Derktron

Banned
Neither RE7 or this one look like Resident Evil to me (no forced inclusion of past elements are enough to make a game RE) but at least this one has a more interesting setting and it actually looks more scarier than the disgusting hillbilly crap that was RE7. Someone should explain to Capcom that the feelings of disgust and fear are two very different emotions. The former is cheap and anyone can do it but the later requires effort,subtlety and intelligence.
I don't I do agree, but the setting feels right and feels like RE games would look like. I guess it's because of the setting. RE7 didn't feel anything like RE games. It felt like any other horror game. I'm still angry that Capcom refuses to add iconic characters. That's my main issue.

Chiggs

It's incredible just how bad the visuals are in those outdoor scenes. Holy moly, am I looking at House of the Dead on PS2?

Top Bottom