• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Gameplay Demo Available On Steam

sainraja

I played the game on the PS5 and was hoping I'd like it but playing it makes me sad that this isn't a third person Resident Evil game. I really wish that it was! I don't like how they switched over mainline RE games to be first person view. Does not suit RE at all.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
The only area where performance struggled loads (like fps down to the single digits, if that) was when being attacked by hive lady or whatever. When she gets up close and all her flies fly up in your face it stuttered all over the place. Anyone else experience the same issue?

Stuart360

Got some weird performance issues on my PC (2700X, 32GB Ram, 980ti)
The castle demo ran flawless at 1080p/60, 30-50% gpu usage.
Outside demo ran 1080p/60 with 50-80% gpu usage.
The cutscenes either ran at 60fps, or like 18fps with 100% cpu usage lol. I think it was a bug though as gpu usage was showing 100% yet temp was in the 40's and not rising.

Anyone else have a problem with the cutscenes?

AGRacing

Gold Member
Just the lady intro is fine. Also no worries if not. Thanks for response.
It is uploading now - I made adjustments to settings on second run for HIGH RT effects from the default.... I really was out of time because it closed on my second run before I was able to compare to your EXACT settings. Hope it's enough to give you an idea. I upped the recording quality as well - the 5 min video is 1596 MB - and uploading now. I'll post when it is processed.

It is uploading now - I made adjustments to settings on second run for HIGH RT effects from the default.... I really was out of time because it closed on my second run before I was able to compare to your EXACT settings. Hope it's enough to give you an idea. I upped the recording quality as well - the 5 min video is 1596 MB - and uploading now. I'll post when it is processed.
You the best

Stuart360

I guess you need to read my post better. The gameplay ran flawlessly, with tons of gpu usage spare. It was a glitch with the cutscenes.
I'm sure that wont be the case with the final code.

Md Ray

I guess you need to read my post better. The gameplay ran flawlessly, with tons of gpu usage spare. It was a glitch with the cutscenes.
Lol sorry to be an asshole, I was jk.

Did you update the driver and Windows? As there seems to be some correlation between the game and the OS, some people couldn't select RT options due to outdated windows.

yamaci17

hahah his response is very weird. some gpus aged well and still perform good. 980ti is one of them. it runs ac valhalla at 1080p 60+ fps which is better than what the so called nextgen console named series s does (since it targets 720-810p)

only game it fails to run 60 fps would be cyberpunk, as you've said, and funny enough, series s cant do 60 fps in that title either, and sx/ps5 only does 1124-1296p at 60 fps

even a gtx 1060 still performs on-par to a series s, and it's a 5 year old gpu. even if series s can surpass a gtx 1070, it will have surpassed a 5 year old midrange gpu by that point

Last edited:

Stuart360

Lol sorry to be an asshole, I was jk.

Did you update the driver and Windows? As there seems to be some correlation between the game and the OS, some people couldn't select RT options due to outdated windows.
No i didnt. I'm sure it will be fine with the final code. I mean some of the cutscenes transition straight into gameplay, and the framerate would just jump up, and the gpu usage go down, right as the cutscene is transitioning.
It was very weird, and only happened in some of the cutscenes. In fact i stratted changing settings and it was making it worse lol.
Plus like i said, temp was very low and not rising in those 100% gpu usage cutscenes, which usually my gpu is pushing 70 when at 100%, not 40 lol.

Stuart360

hahah his response is very weird. some gpus aged well and still perform good. 980ti is one of them. it runs ac valhalla at 1080p 60+ fps which is better than what the so called nextgen console named series s does (since it targets 720-810p)

only game it fails to run 60 fps would be cyberpunk, as you've said, and funny enough, series s cant do 60 fps in that title either, and sx/ps5 only does 1124-1296p at 60 fps

even a gtx 1060 still performs on-par to a series s, and it's a 5 year old gpu. even if series s can surpass a gtx 1070, it will have surpassed a 5 year old midrange gpu by that point
Yeah i mean Resi 8 actually ran super well in gameplay, and the castle demo was in the 30-50% usage range, mostly in the 30-40% range, which is really low for a new AAA game. It seems to be very well optimized, except the weirds issues i had with some of the cutscenes.
Fact is a 980ti has about 60% of PS5's gpu, but PS5 are targeting dynamic 4k, 1800p, etc. A 980ti at 1080p probably has more horsepower available.

Md Ray

No i didnt. I'm sure it will be fine with the final code. I mean some of the cutscenes transition straight into gameplay, and the framerate would just jump up, and the gpu usage go down, right as the cutscene is transitioning.
It was very weird, and only happened in some of the cutscenes. In fact i stratted changing settings and it was making it worse lol.
Plus like i said, temp was very low and not rising in those 100% gpu usage cutscenes, which usually my gpu is pushing 70 when at 100%, not 40 lol.
It didn't happened to me in cutscenes. But I noticed that during gameplay even as simple as changing the game's resolution would tank the perf severely. Like my frame rate would be in the 90-100fps at 1440p but downgrading it to 1080p would drop my fps to 50fps with 100% GPU usage, loooooooooool. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
Yeah i mean Resi 8 actually ran super well in gameplay, and the castle demo was in the 30-50% usage range, mostly in the 30-40% range, which is really low for a new AAA game. It seems to be very well optimized, except the weirds issues i had with some of the cutscenes.
Fact is a 980ti has about 60% of PS5's gpu, but PS5 are targeting dynamic 4k, 1800p, etc. A 980ti at 1080p probably has more horsepower available.
It for sure does. At 1440p ultra I was 100% GPU usage

Stuart360

It didn't happened to me in cutscenes. But I noticed that during gameplay even as simple as changing the game's resolution would tank the perf severely. Like my frame rate would be in the 90-100fps at 1440p but downgrading it to 1080p would drop my fps to 50fps with 100% GPU usage, loooooooooool. It makes no sense whatsoever.
You know what, i bet it was something to do with that, i should of left the settings alone. I just turned up textre ram higher as i had it on 4gb, but vram usage was only around 4.5gb, so i thought i'd turn it up to 5gb. Thats when the problems started.
Actually i have come accross this before in another PC game.

Velius

Banned
Same here! I even run it on 1440p and still get very good results. Even more hyped for the full game now.
Did you tweak the "Prioritize Visuals" preset? That's what I did. I think I got the textures up to one or two tics above "high" then upscale to 1.2? Or was it 1.5? It was still at 60FPS

Can anyone tell me how much I'm missing without Ray tracing and 4k?

VN1X

Banned
Did you tweak the "Prioritize Visuals" preset? That's what I did. I think I got the textures up to one or two tics above "high" then upscale to 1.2? Or was it 1.5? It was still at 60FPS

Can anyone tell me how much I'm missing without Ray tracing and 4k?
I tweaked a bunch of things if that's what you mean yes? Left the resolution upscale alone as that's never worth it to me (decent AA or high resolution in and of itself will do the trick just fine) and even on 1440p I was still getting 70 to 120fps.

RaZoR No1

Do we unlock anything in the demo for the full game?
Afaik RE7 had an extra upgrade coin or something like that for the full game

Dampf

Those people proclaiming 8gigs of vram was more than enough. How’s it going now? Lol
Again, allocated VRAM does not mean the VRAM is needed.

This game is simply allocating all VRAM it can get on cards with more than 8 GB, nothing more. This runs fine even on 4 GB cards.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Again, allocated VRAM does not mean the VRAM is needed.

This game is simply allocating all VRAM it can get on cards with more than 8 GB, nothing more. This runs fine even on 4 GB cards.
Lol no it doesn’t , I have a 2080 and a 5700x cpu. If I turn everything up along with raytracing it goes above 12 gigs of vram and runs at like 12 FPS.

TheMan

Not enough actual gameplay impressions in here! What I’ve heard so far is that the game itself is not that great so far. Thoughts?

Dampf

Lol no it doesn’t , I have a 2080 and a 5700x cpu. If I turn everything up along with raytracing it goes above 12 gigs of vram and runs at like 12 FPS.
Maybe you shouldn't turn everything up then, there's a certain threshold with every engine where allocated VRAM does become used and needed VRAM.
The graphical differences become minor if you go above the high settings. Your card btw has 8 GB so it going above 12 GB does not make any sense. You should adjust your settings accordingly, so the ingame vram counter does not go above your amount of VRAM, it's easy really.

Had zero issues with VRAM and I have a 2060 with RT on.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Not enough actual gameplay impressions in here! What I’ve heard so far is that the game itself is not that great so far. Thoughts?

i shoot the ravens in the sky and they actually died and fell down and they dropped some levis (muneh). impressed tbh

i never played resident evil series so i don't even know what kind of gameplay i'm looking at. but i guess it's a type of game that does not hold you from your hand and i spent 5 minutes in the castle's first room to figure out how to get ouf there. turned out there was a little tunnel entrance that you're suppoed to open and enter

RoboFu

One of the green rats
theres a lot of hidden extras. like finding and shooting the wooden horses, finding a bird cage in a tree you can shoot down for scrap metal, finding gems ect ect.

The first play through like the two demos here both took a little bit of time becaus I was exploring and looking for things., but after you know what to do you can run through then in a few mins.

So i guess if you like to explore and search for hidden things it would be good but it you just want to get ot the end as fast as possible it probably wouldnt be too fun. Then again if you really like cutscenes you would like this game as well. lol

theres a lot of hidden extras. like finding and shooting the wooden horses, finding a bird cage in a tree you can shoot down for scrap metal, finding gems ect ect.

The first play through like the two demos here both took a little bit of time becaus I was exploring and looking for things., but after you know what to do you can run through then in a few mins.

So i guess if you like to explore and search for hidden things it would be good but it you just want to get ot the end as fast as possible it probably wouldnt be too fun. Then again if you really like cutscenes you would like this game as well. lol
great synopsis! looks like i'll be getting this, need to find a deal on it.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Gun play is not only substandard, but I found it to be abysmal. I'm not expecting a stellar shooter either but the hit reaction and feedback is pretty much garbage and has nothing satisfying about it and feels super cheap. The environments feel fake as they are pretty completely non-interactive.

really disappointed by the demo.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Played it and it did nothing for me. Ran and looked great on my 3090. I thoroughly enjoyed RE7 so maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

ShaikhCroft

Played the demo. Finished the Village demo in 40 minutes. Played Castle demo for the rest of the 20 minutes!

Looks like another hell of scary Resident Evil on the way. Village gameplay demo gave me the same RE7 vibe with more broader gameplay experience and definitely more horror. Eagerly waiting for the full game.
Game has same physics as RE7. Even the 60 minutes demo gave me some real scary moments. Merchant and the Village look is giving me some good old RE4 vibe.

Haven't met with Lady Dimitrescu though! Hopefully she will scare the shit outta me in the main game... oh no!

Easy to grab 12 achievements for playing full 60 minutes. Must try for Resident Evil fans.

Freeman76

What do you expect? Its the PC thread, which is all about how some people cant get it to work and others have 6000 frames per second. If you want impressions check the console thread

peronmls

Here's a trainer that let's you freeze the time limit, only works if you have time left.

Locked behind a pay wall...wtf heres a real link.[Request] Resident Evil Village Gameplay Demo - FearLess Cheat Engine (fearlessrevolution.com)

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

Played the demo on base PS4.
Before, i was hating everything about the game.
After playing it, i loved it and now i am considering a first day purchase.

Chiggs

Ahhh, WeMod...how I love you. Guessing these will be ready for the main game on Friday.

VpA4ZU8.png

RX 5500XT (8GB) and Ryzen 5 3600XT user here.

I am amazed with how well RE Engine is optimised for the PC version. FPS have remained solid throughout my play through.

While playing in 1080p max settings, No ray-tracing as my card doesn't support it. I got 200+ FPS in castle and 130 to 150 in village. Mainly took a nose dive when I was in the tall grassy areas but nothing too concerning.

In 1440p with use of VSR, everything max settings apart from shadows and no RT, 150+ FPS in castle, 50 to 70 in village. Most of the outdoor areas take a huge impact on the GPU. That being said, it looks amazing when up scaled on my monitor with little use of AA.

L0rdMike

Neo Member
I want to buy this but unsure on what platform. The demo on pc tanks with the bugs and GPU utilization drops to 4% and frame rate just dies on me.

Spaceman292

Banned
I want to buy this but unsure on what platform. The demo on pc tanks with the bugs and GPU utilization drops to 4% and frame rate just dies on me.
If that's how it runs on your PC, you might want to go for consoles. RE Engine games are usually solid.

If you are not able to solve the issue by doing basic things such as updating drivers, clearing gpu cache etc. I'd recommend the console version.

Top Bottom