• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village Maiden Demo on PS5 available Jan 21, 2021

TonyK

First scenario, the dungeon where demo starts, looks more PS4, but the mansion is amazing. I think due to the artistic side more than for the technical, but I found myself amazed and looking everything wanting to see more.

Personally, I find this setting more appealing than the Chainsaw Massacre chosen for RE VII. I want to explore this game, and that's good.

TheGejsza

Just played the dungeon part for now but am I the only one who thinks there is something off with dynamic shadows? It's like most object does not cast a shadow when you use flashlight but some does. And (maybe because of flashlight positoin) it seems like those shadows are somehow... wrong. Beside the striking artstyle there is nothing next-gen. I hoped for better lightning (full dynamic shadows) and higher res textures - especially since it's 1st person.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Just played the dungeon part for now but am I the only one who thinks there is something off with dynamic shadows? It's like most object does not cast a shadow when you use flashlight but some does. And (maybe because of flashlight positoin) it seems like those shadows are somehow... wrong. Beside the striking artstyle there is nothing next-gen. I hoped for better lightning (full dynamic shadows) and higher res textures - especially since it's 1st person.
Only limited objects cast flashlight shadows. In the first area it’s obvious with the door bars casting, but not the cell bars. The game looks very average technically so if this is what capcom considers “pushing the PS5” they better get the technical director to take a look at project mara

John Wick

Meh. As a tech demo the controls feel sluggish and some of the textures aren't even that good

EsSyMCGW8AIWJoC
Guys it's probably a rushed little demo. Probably just s taste of what they are hoping to achieve. I would keep expectations in check.

Akuji

I can’t play because my 2012 PLASMA is on technical support... seems like the Z board failed and the guys is having a hard time to find circuit replacements for that old model.

It is already 3 days.

I’m already starting to put in my head I will need to buy a new TV.
Plasma is organic material so its aging and it gets quite hot as well. Which in my experience makes a plasma look worse and worse over time.

even if I have the highest end plasma possible. A good mid range tv will completely destroy it

TheGejsza

Only limited objects cast flashlight shadows. In the first area it’s obvious with the door bars casting, but not the cell bars. The game looks very average technically so if this is what capcom considers “pushing the PS5” they better get the technical director to take a look at project mara
I am really dissapointed because of that lightning. Dancing shadows in horror genre is such a great thing because you got a feeling that something is always moving when you (with the light source) move too.

consoul

Super underwhelming unfortunately.
This ain't no RE7 Beginning Hour demo. Nothing happens, there's nothing to explore or dig into and the textures are almost all low resolution to the point where the odd decent resolution texture actually looks out of place.

This absolutely looks like a PS4 game. There is not a single next-gen thing going on here. The lack of dynamic lighting on most objects stands out badly. The PS2 Silent Hill games had better shadowing than this.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This ain't no RE7 Beginning Hour demo. Nothing happens, there's nothing to explore or dig into and the textures are almost all low resolution to the point where the odd decent resolution texture actually looks out of place.

This absolutely looks like a PS4 game. There is not a single next-gen thing going on here. The lack of dynamic lighting on most objects stands out badly. The PS2 Silent Hill games had better shadowing than this.
Someone needs a new telly

A lot of these engines from these companies are simply stiched up code. One of the main reasons they exist is because these publishers don't want to dish out royalties to Epic for Unreal Engine. Keep the pot in house.

Sony has being creating high expectations of folks. You can clearly see the laggards. The Glacier engine for Hitman also - cheap.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

Nah dude. Artstyle, HDR, resolution and fps are all great but there is nothing next-gen about it, especially lightning is a bummer. There is nothing that PS4 could not do but at higher res/fps. In terms of technology - there is nothing interesting in this demo.

Last edited:

HAL-01

Nah it really doesn’t look that hot. It’s really easy to make things look good when everything is baked, but even that they fucked up with the low shadow, texture, and geometry resolution. I actually wonder if somewhere down the line they turned everything down to keep it under 4gb

Evilms

Banned
Apparently the demo runs in native 4K, 60fps most of the time with a few drops at 50fps as soon as an enemy appears on the screen.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Rather a stupid move for a third-party publisher but oh well. Demo will probably come for the other platforms when they show off the other versions as they said on the stream.
I seriously think they started backporting to the older consoles after development for the next generation consoles had begun (as MS and Sony informed them of shortages and timelines for manufacturing ramp up).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Wow, this is awful.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nah dude. Artstyle, HDR, resolution and fps are all great but there is nothing next-gen about it, especially lightning is a bummer. There is nothing that PS4 could not do but at higher res/fps. In terms of technology - there is nothing interesting in this demo.
Only things i found off as stated before in this thread is the mixed bag of textures.

some of them look really freaking good like the main entrance hall. The shine on the antique wood. The room with the broken window blowing into the dark room.

and some things maggots modeled like french fries look off. Or clothes being burned in that fireplace that look like some random texture slapped on.

however if i am looking at use of HDR
There is nothing i played on ps4 that came close to this.

Akuji

a lot of good old plasma's shit on 85% of current day tv's in term of picture quality.. do not be mistaken about a good ol plasma
Maybe if u have one fresh of a production line. Just gave my old Panasonic plasma which was like the reference of plasma at the ending their time and it gets destroyed picture wise by my hisense u8b in 55“ the plasma is 65“

Hudo

I seriously think they started backporting to the older consoles after starting as MS abd Sony informed them of shortages and timelines for manufacturing ramp up.
This might actually be the case. I haven't considered that. Wouldn't surprise me if they backported it to the old consoles by using the RE Engine version that RE 7 was running on.

GymWolf

Reading this topic is clear that textures are still far more important than any rtx effects or nextgen lights when it comes to nextgen feeling for a game.

You can use pixar level of rtx but if the textures are some low res shit you can't do much about it...

Is there any enemy in the demo?! I'm not gonna download this thing with no combat and no enemies to look at it.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

RE is changing and improving as time goes on. What's hard to understand?

Capcom is smart to rope in still all the people crying for third person with the remakes. That way people like us can get something new while the stubborn ones can keep buying the same story and gameplay from years ago over again. Watch them act a fool over getting to play RE4 again.

TMLT

I agree that it has changed beyond recognition. That isn't what "evolves" means though.

The "improving" part is up for debate

Things already changed beyond recognition 16 years ago though. If anything the series has actually gotten closer to its roots in the last few years.

After playing the demo I can say I'm still very interested in the game but not at all pleased with the visuals. Assets are very low res and poor, definitely a last gen game.

Will get it after a price drop, this is no next gen.
People here are saying the demo looks amazing lmao.
3sXMda2.jpg

Visually nice but it does look pretty close to RE7 with better frame-rate.

Is there an alternate ending I wonder?

Do you mean first person perspective or something else?

I bet the ps4 and xbo will be super choppy, but this was pretty stable for the most part. The only place it may drop a few frames is in the big room with the ray tracing reflections on the floors.

That guy is/was full of shit.

Not sure about the lighting, but there is a room with shiny reflective marble floors for sure.

It's hilarious to me when people say ps1/2/3 graphics without hyperbole. Like did you forget how bad those graphics are compared to this lol.

Definitely better than an lcd, but idk about being close to the color range or brightness of oled.

I mean maybe a single frame could be mistaken, but the frame-rate is so far ahead of RE7 on ps4... Also it's not next gen, it's cross gen. They definitely started out targeting the current gen.
The devs are saying this was a visual showcase to show us what the PS5 is capable of doing.

Oh god yes. Even in the preview Ethan or the shown character was breaking a pot. There of course will be items in drawers and shelves. It of course will probably have the video game limitations of not being able to break everything, but you have to remember that you’re also collecting ammo, items, notes, and all sorts of stuff along the way. In RE7 you could make your own ammo or healing items, so there’s crafting. This was basically a PT type of demo. The meat of the demo is to basically take your hand and let you experience the world. IMO this demo is of someone who tried escaping. It has nothing to do with Ethan. The demo character is basically someone who got caught before the actual game’s events occurred. You have puzzles, crafting, secrets, and weapons. This demo cannot be a proper representation of the full game. It’s mainly to welcome people into the world before actually playing the main game.

Things could change and it might be different. I do not honestly believe the actual game has this much limitation to it. From past experience until now. It could possibly be in the game, but given to us differently. The location for sure could be in the game and maybe the puzzles. I do think there will be lots of items to collect.

The biggest give away is that it’s a “Visual Demo”, meaning it’s a specific demo designed for a purpose. That’s a huge red flag right there.

In my opinion, forget about this demo. The real game should be nothing like this.
It's a visual showcase demo, it has nothing to do with the game story nor its gameplay.
U4Bikdy.jpg

It does make me laugh that the devs actually think this looks next gen

sublimit

Banned
Things already changed beyond recognition 16 years ago though. If anything the series has actually gotten closer to its roots in the last few years.
I agree that the first major change happened a long time ago. But with RE7 they went to a completely different direction. Just because they added some classic elements in order to justify the name "Resident Evil" on the cover it doesn't mean that it's a Resident Evil game.

It definitely hasn't gotten "closer to its roots".Even with the remakes they managed to fuck up a lot of things the classics had done right.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Even with shit YouTube compression, the density of the environments leaves an impression.

People complaining about the visuals. It’s some kind of trolling or a genuine missing link, plain child minds attempting to look all grown up by expressing an ‘opinion’

Wake up call, everyone thinks less of you posting obvious nonsense, no favours onto one self, sad attention seeking is just sad.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Even with shit YouTube compression, the density of the environments leaves an impression.

People complaining about the visuals. It’s some kind of trolling or a genuine missing link, plain child minds attempting to look all grown up by expressing an ‘opinion’

Wake up call, everyone thinks less of you posting obvious nonsense, no favours onto one self, sad attention seeking is just sad.
Thank god we have you to judge graphics and what is considered non-sense, thanks for your service dude.

Fake

I still think some sections are really low texture/res. No joke. The geometric of objects are low polygons too.

IMO they spend more time on the main hall. Is very well design.

SkylineRKR

I like the demo but visually this is nothing special..

Limbs aren't shown. Items float, aren't really being picked up. drawers magically open, no hands. Drapers etc,don't react when you walk into them, plants and other decorations don't move. Its FP but at the same time not that immersive. Texture work isn't that hot either.

The most impressive bit about this demo is the 3D audio. I would call it audio experience or something. Not visual demo. They called it visual demo, ofcourse the visuals are being rated lol. Its not like there is much action or something here.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I agree that it has changed beyond recognition. That isn't what "evolves" means though.

The "improving" part is up for debate
Beyond recognition? You're still crawling around a big creepy building solving silly puzzles and shooting monsters while campy villains laugh at you. The only things that have really changed are the position of the camera and the graphics. And the quality of the voice acting.

Also from Collins dictionary:
If something evolves or you evolve it, it gradually develops over a period of time into something different and usually more advanced.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

Reading this topic is clear that textures are still far more important than any rtx effects or nextgen lights when it comes to nextgen feeling for a game.

You can use pixar level of rtx but if the textures are some low res shit you can't do much about it...

Is there any enemy in the demo?! I'm not gonna download this thing with no combat and no enemies to look at it.
I would say textures are very important in FPS games. DeS on PS5 has the best textures I have evere seen but during normal gameplay you can't appreciate them because of the camera but if you can zoom into them you will see how fucking detailed they are. I mean in the character creation Cleric Knight armor is some CGI shit right there. But in-game you don't see those textures as much as you would like.

RE8 on the other hand... you are slowly looking every nook and cranny for items/clues/enviromental storytelling and you just see those textures all time. I just hope this is early build and not all textures are implemented because some texutres looks great while others looks like soap.

Top Bottom