• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village PC - Denuvo was removed today

Buggy Loop

Patch today was released just for that

exe size is now 209MB rather than 622MB

There's no patch notes to be found but everyone on steam mentioned it in the community.

youtube the evil is defeated GIF

RCU005

Why does Denuvo exist, if all I read are news about devs removing it from their games (probably due to people complaining about it)?

If they know people hate it, and they’ll remove it sooner or later, why put it in there in the first place?

Guilty_AI

Why does Denuvo exist, if all I read are news about devs removing it from their games (probably due to people complaining about it)?

If they know people hate it, and they’ll remove it sooner or later, why put it in there in the first place?
The logic is probably trying to stop piracy during release, which is when most of the sales occur.

How effective it is, its debateable. Naturally the salespeople at Denuvo will spare no efforts pitching it to publishers and fearmongering over piracy.

They remove it because denuvo's sales-model is through subscription, so its to cut expenses after it outlived is supposed usefulness.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

They probably feel they got enough juice out of the initial squeeze. I guess they pay for it and it comes a time where they don’t feel like pirates are suddenly going to jump in because of Denuvo removed, so they remove it to save on fees I bet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It stops games from being cracked in the crucial launch window where most of the sales come from. And they remove it cause its most likely a timed contract for 1 to 2 years.

Guilty_AI

I just think it's strange that I never even know Denuvo is used on the games I play until someone tells me it's there. For all the doomsaying I read, I figure I'd notice it being a problem for me eventually.
No one does until they're selected in the russian roullette and it does cause problems.
If that happens, you'll be doomsaying with the rest of them.

Last edited:

Jared Mohammed

Neo Member
Good. More games need to remove Denuvo. If they were to include demos, the amount of people who pirate their games would probably be reduced.

Sleepwalker

Reallink

Not sure of the accuracy, but I've read Denuvo now charges on a monthly basis ($15K/month?), so once a game's old enough it would make more sense to drop it rather than keep paying.

Watch the game performance after patching Denuvo out being exactly the same

Village is one instance where it was indisputedly proven to be tanking performance, allegedly thanks in part to Crapcom layering their own DRM on top of it. Digital Foundry covered it IIRC.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just think it's strange that I never even know Denuvo is used on the games I play until someone tells me it's there. For all the doomsaying I read, I figure I'd notice it being a problem for me eventually.
They already patched it a bit. At launch village had major stutters when hitting enemies due to Denuvo

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

because money

Top Bottom