• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: Village - Review Thread

Madflavor

Haven't really watched any videos recently. For people who've played - is there much enemy variety? Seemed kinda bullet sponges with a bunch of the hooded guys

Yes lots of enemy variety according to people who've played. Enemies get less bullet spongy as the game progresses and you purchase upgrades. You have a lot of incentive to explore as much as possible to find treasures and secrets so you can upgrade faster.

Erebus

Ι can't wait to play this later today. Has anyone experience setting up HDR on PC? Do I simply enable HDR in the Windows and then the game itself?

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Get it on xbox series x. You can thank me later.
I can't, I used ps wallet funds. I had an extra $60 psn gift card that I didn't want to forget about and it expires.

Anyway I'm having no issues on my ps5. Plays great.

I'll get re 4 remake for Xbox series x if that appeased you.

DustQueen

Banned

He is maybe right cos I have not played Village... But as of now it just seem like Skill Up need to fuck or something(watch his section on story)

And is it True that there are people who thought that big budget b-movie shlockfest that was RE7 was... like... Scary realistic horror with a serious tone WTF?

RE8 seem like the same thing with addictional 0 to it's budget.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Dude it’s so weird i played a ton of returnal.

but resident evil 8 destroys returnal in visuals. (The only thing returnal has going for it is particle effects)

the house scenes in returnal look flat out bad compared to anything indoors from resident evil 8. Heck metro exodus remastered that just came out looks worse then resident evil 8

i truly think capcom are masters at their game.

and this is running maxed on a flipping LAPTOP. At 90 ish fps

fart town usa

Gold Member

but resident evil 8 destroys returnal in visuals. (The only thing returnal has going for it is particle effects)

the house scenes in returnal look flat out bad compared to anything indoors from resident evil 8. Heck metro exodus remastered that just came out looks worse then resident evil 8

love that last part, lol.

A giant studio in Capcom did a better job with graphics than a small studio in Finland whos biggest game prior was Resogun? You don't say.

GymWolf

It's not weird, graphically speaking returnal is only an ok game with a lot of particles (and tbh i don't find coloured globes that good looking or impressive if not for their number).

Spukc

A giant studio in Capcom did a better job with graphics than a small studio in Finland whos biggest game prior was Resogun? You don't say.
Oh that’s why cod cold war looks even better right? Because it’s bigger? 😅

I guess i play minecraft instead since it’s a big studio 🤣

GymWolf

Some people is gonna tell you that raytraced minecraft looks incredible.

(Spoiler, this people probably read in braille and have a lead dog )

Spukc

Some people is gonna tell you that raytraced minecraft looks incredible.

(Spoiler, this people probably read in braille and have a lead dog )
Mingecraft sure is one of the most impressive looking RT game light wise 🥲

GymWolf

Mingecraft sure is one of the most impressive looking RT game light wise 🥲
ghqpqhnqwky.jpeg

P.s. before you ask, yes he is alfred molina and the serial is called angie tribeca.

Last edited:

So you're really gonna act like the studio whos biggest game prior to Returnal was Resogun had any hope of making a game as graphically good as Capcom? lol

Mate, Minecraft is 10 years old and wasn't made with top of the line graphics in mind. Cmon dude, stop arguing, i'm just pointing out how you shouldn't be the least bit surprised Capcom made a game that graphically shits on those few Finnish ppl lmao

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
And is it True that there are people who thought that big budget b-movie shlockfest that was RE7 was... like... Scary realistic horror with a serious tone WTF?

The tone of 7 was just more grounded; humour came out of the villain's outlandish behaviour while Ethan's journey was treated with straight face. I agree that it was a solid step forward for the series.

At least RE7 was referencing real contemporary horror movie tropes. Village from what I've seen so far feels like its cribbing ideas from stuff like Universal's recent "dark universe" failures. It seems fun, but has zero dramatic weight.

Last edited:
I can't, I used ps wallet funds. I had an extra $60 psn gift card that I didn't want to forget about and it expires.

Anyway I'm having no issues on my ps5. Plays great.

I'll get re 4 remake for Xbox series x if that appeased you.
You disappoint me and uncle Phil. Now you must subscribe to xbox game pass for the next year at full price.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Reviews were rushing? 8 hours ?!
Or the timer is wrong. I've been playing all day today. Steam shows 13 hours but in game timer shows barely over 8 hours. I did not left the game running for 5 hours. I even turned it off for dinner...

Justin9mm

I played all the demos on my PS5 but didn't quite get to finish the Castle demo because my 60 minutes timed out. The demo delivery situation has put me off, I didn't find the game that exciting overall. Atmosphere seems alright but I'll be waiting for deep sale on this one just like RE7.

Last edited:

xPikYx

I found RE7 one of the best, in terms of story and scare, and I am not a fan of first person. The story was really intriguing with Baker's family and the mansion in the first part really inspired,as well as some other parts ahead.

I'm not gonna buy the game at full price but still I was craving to watch the story of this village, and I watched the full cut scene movie on YT. I found the location less intriguing than Baker's mansion but the Village is nice. Storywise I would put it on PAR or better than 7 with a couple of great revelations. Graphic is up and down, as well as many games that claim to run ray tracing, honestly is just good, but some parts are really top notch. Also I liked the Chris character model. The best so far in the serie. There is a cutscene going ahead in the game and looks like a movie, very nice detailed indeed,also his animations are the best in the game, very realistic. I think this RE8 us a really nice sequel to 7, it improves many aspects of the previous 7 as well as RE2 did upon RE in 1998 whereas both RE/RE7 had better and more inspired scenarios than theirs successors

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Resident Evil Village or Resident Evil 8 (PC, PS5, Xbox, PS4) is finally here. Is the continuation of Ethan Winters' story a satisfying one? Let's talk.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That article about them toning it down aged poorly, eh? I'm not one that runs around and screams at games but the dollhouse section of this game is absolutely, 100% at least on par with RE7.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm really effing enjoying this game at the minute but I've heard it has a very strong first half. For me the look and feel of the game is right up my alley. Fingers crossed the enjoyment stays. Love how connected everything feels to the main village. Really great so far.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That article about them toning it down aged poorly, eh? I'm not one that runs around and screams at games but the dollhouse section of this game is absolutely, 100% at least on par with RE7.
Right, two things that reviewers commented on really stand out as being overblown to me.

Not being as scary: just straight up not entirely accurate. Game is intense as shit at times. Definitely has more relaxed moments than RE7 but Village is definitely scary. Capcom commented on toning it down but it's still scary. I think it's mostly Jack and how he stalks you in RE7. Lady D isn't as intense but it's still unnerving as hell at times.
Super Action Focused: Only for two of the end sections but for the most part you get all the same guns that other RE titles have and there are always puzzles. It never turns into a straight up shooter (until one point but it makes sense why it does and only last like 30 minutes at the most).

Not a huge deal but I see lots of people asking about those two specific things and reviewers are being a bit hyperbolic on those aspects.

Village plays like RE7 in tons of ways and also includes aspects of RE4. It's definitely more in line with RE7 than RE4 though. Tons of puzzles and exploration, things that make RE games special.

Last edited:

Banned
RE8 is another perfect example on why to NEVER rely on reviews... if you don't have a specific reviewer that you know has basically the same tastes as you AND is knowledgeable about games in general, then reviews are USELESS... completely USELESS

only 1 thing more USELESS than game reviews, and that is reviews scores!... wait now, there's an even more USELESS thing, review score aggregation sites!

Astral Dog

i give this game a 9 its amazing (with flaws mostly related to the combat, but they don't ruin the great horror experience ) the Resident Evil series is in very good hands and has a bright future 🧟‍♂️🐺

VILLAGE combines the best elements of RE7 with some RE4(and others such as Code Veronica) to create a memorable game filled with werewolves, vampires,witches and other otherworldly surprises. The game is simply wonderful, when i read some of the first reviews i feared Capcom went too far on the action side and forgot what made RE7 so special in the first place, after playing im glad i was wrong! . Its NOT the best RE gameplay wise, but its fighting for my #1 spot. im just a sucker for gothic horror. 😁

Easily the most boring RE in recent memory. The shooting feels tight but there arent enough enemies and they are easy to kill. 4 and 5 are my favorite and id rank this lower than the revelations entries which were pretty bad. I just cleared the castle so maybe it'll get better but I'm not holding my breath.

scalman

Its sad to hear that shit from devs that re game was balanced for everyone. Usually then it becomes just another one. Maybe they nees to fail with this one to rethink all that.

Kerotan

I don't play this series or horror games in general but I watched my friend play through different stages from near the beginning to the ending. I gotta say it looks incredible. Awesome job by capcom!

JeloSWE

Ι can't wait to play this later today. Has anyone experience setting up HDR on PC? Do I simply enable HDR in the Windows and then the game itself?
Their implementation of HDR on PC is weird. If you alt+tab, HDR gets disabled and can only be reactivated in the game's start meny, really really stupid as this wasn't a problem in their previous games using RE Engine as well.
Also I can't get the ingame HDR setting to respond to settinh thr max nits white clipping point in HDR setting screen, the square at any value doesn't seem to affect the game in any way at all. But moving the red-blue slider does affect the over all brightness of the game. The HRD is beautiful but as I said, peak luminance seems locked and it's not too bright, probably in the range of 700-1000 nits. I have a very capable TV that can do 1700 nit so it looks a bit dim out of the box, however I can compensate for that by increasing contrast on my TV to make the highlight match it's max out put and then it looks great.

Last edited:

RobRSG

I liked the game a lot. Well done, Capcom

About the reviews: Seems that everybody read or saw the first one that came out and wrote the same thing with different words.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Easily the most boring RE in recent memory. The shooting feels tight but there arent enough enemies and they are easy to kill. 4 and 5 are my favorite and id rank this lower than the revelations entries which were pretty bad. I just cleared the castle so maybe it'll get better but I'm not holding my breath.

You've got like 75% of the game left to go. If you favour the action-centric games there's no way this will rank lower than 7 for you.

GymWolf

I'm kinda hating all the gameplay stuff like general movements, combat, boss fights mechanics etc. But otherwise the game is pretty good and with a great pace.

The combat in particular has to be some of the worst i played in a AAA game to date.

GymWolf

Dude if you love re 4-5 there is now way that 8 is more boring tha 7, like no absolute fucking way, re8 is basically re4 with more shitty combat and protagonist.

But tbh from your "tight shooting" comment i have the doubt that you are playing a different game altogether:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Dude if you love re 4-5 there is now way that 8 is more boring tha 7, like no absolute fucking way, re8 is basically re4 with more shitty combat and protagonist.

But tbh from your "tight shooting" comment i have the doubt that you are playing a different game altogether:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
It kind of is so far. Theres nothing like the first level in RE5 where you barricade yourself in the room and they start breaking through and you have to fight the big guy with the ax all at the same time. The most enemies at once I've seen are in the blood filled basement and the birds on the roof. Neither encounter has many enemies as five does. This one feels way more puzzle oriented with less focus on action and killing compared to previous games. Where RE6 leaned too far into the action this one has swung too far the other way into walking sim territory with occasional bursts of action. I just got the sniper and left the castle so hopefully it picks up soon.

GymWolf

It kind of is so far. Theres nothing like the first level in RE5 where you barricade yourself in the room and they start breaking through and you have to fight the big guy with the ax all at the same time. The most enemies at once I've seen are in the blood filled basement and the birds on the roof. Neither encounter has many enemies as five does. This one feels way more puzzle oriented with less focus on action and killing compared to previous games. Where RE6 leaned too far into the action this one has swung too far the other way into walking sim territory with occasional bursts of action. I just got the sniper and left the castle so hopefully it picks up soon.
You can barricade doors and having like 10 enemies searching for you and a big guy with an hammer in the very first part of the game but yeah after that the action is more like you say, in burst of 4-6 enemies and then return to quiet.

But still, how can this be more boring than re7 where the action part was even more shittier, uncommon and less varied?!

Last edited:
You've got like 75% of the game left to go. If you favour the action-centric games there's no way this will rank lower than 7 for you.
Good to hear Im hoping it picks up. I skipped seven because I found the demo to be so offputing when I tried it I never bothered with the full game.

You can barricade doors and having like 10 enemies searching for you and a big guy with an hammer in the very first part of the game but yeah after that the action is more like you say, in burst of 4-6 enemies and then return to quiet.

But still, how can this be more boring than re7 where the action part was even more shittier, uncommon and less varied?!
I skipped 7 because the demo was awful. Also after playing gears of evil 6 I figured Capcom no longer knew how to make a survival horro game. You do get swarmed at the beginning of this one but its scripted and you're meant to get captured so its not quite the same. Im liking it overall just want more bads to kill.

AV

Good to hear Im hoping it picks up. I skipped seven because I found the demo to be so offputing when I tried it I never bothered with the full game.

8 has one totally non-combat section and after that it becomes more and more of an action game, I think you'll enjoy it more after the dollhouse.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I give it a 7/10, I have seen people say "im only rating it so low at 9/10 because of the poor combat" I thought the combat and weapons where the best part of the game, the issue is the story and just how convoluted and stupid it is... it literally feels like Alien 4 in the aliens series, it seems that even after the success of RE2 Remake and to a lesser extent RE3 Remake Capcom haven't realised that making things more grounded makes the game terrifying, thus this is a continuation of the boulder punching in an active volcano of RE5 and that sucks.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Did anyone post the WAB review? If not, here it is..

I think i'll give it a swerve for now and stick to Subnautica, and Mass Effect.

SkylineRKR

I give it a 7/10, I have seen people say "im only rating it so low at 9/10 because of the poor combat" I thought the combat and weapons where the best part of the game, the issue is the story and just how convoluted and stupid it is... it literally feels like Alien 4 in the aliens series, it seems that even after the success of RE2 Remake and to a lesser extent RE3 Remake Capcom haven't realised that making things more grounded makes the game terrifying, thus this is a continuation of the boulder punching in an active volcano of RE5 and that sucks.

RE2R will continue to be my definitive RE experience. And gameplay wise, I think 3R is the best one. I'd play the shit out of an RE3R Mercs mode. RE7 and 8 gameplay is just not as tight, its good enough but I don't think I will play Mercs as much as Extra Survivor in 2, or Mercs in 5 which I played more than the base game.

Reactions: GHG

Kokoloko85

Im enjoying it.
I liked RE7 but this is more tense for me with the enemies.

The voice acting from the main character is way worse though. The villians are ok but Ethan and the village girl are pretty bad Lol, Typical RE

nbkicker

Im liking this so far, i wonder if with no season pass this will be it and capcom will move on to the next or if capcom got some more dlc to come like 7 got, be nice to have a few more stages on merc mode etc, would have loved a merc level where the village is populated and yr a werewolf and u got to kill so many villagers before they kill u

Last edited:

WellSheet

Random poster on Gaf with opinions -

I personally believe the comparison to 4 is more superficial than anything. You’ve got the similar systems of treasure collecting, upgrading and a sorta-baseline similar aesthetic/ “wacky” overall tone. But now having a few days distance since beating it, honestly, once the game caught its stride....it really feels like it’s own thing. I feel like it has elements you can tie back throughout the series, but for every borrowed system they twisted it into something fresh.that congealed into something largely it’s own.

I love the slow explorative moments that are punctuated by a short and tense combat section... I also get the slower pace of exploring is arduous for a lot of people and the time to fire between encounters is too long.

The tonal shifts between each section of the game can be more off-putting too, I would think for some, if you don’t explore the village in between these moments to...”palette cleanse” if you were...

Speaking of the village, and the games level design and atmosphere in general, it’s absolutely, hands down tied as the best in the series with Remake. It’s literally like a GIANT Spencer Mansion. I would love to see them open up even more next major title...I know “open” world games are a slog and I wouldn’t want them to dilute the pacing and set piece design, but Metro Exodus (which is literally the only game that has a similar flow to Village in my recollection) had their Sandbox levels that funneled into linear levels, but they were all broken up. I’d like to see Capcom have one contiguous map design and really dig into some really curated side content/quests. Less is more....think Like God of War 2018.

anyways I’ve babbled.

I can totally see this game being divisive for a lot of people. Personally to me, as it stands now, it’s right there with 4 and Remake as the best in the series.

Top Bottom