• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village: Village Demo Gameplay (PS5)

kunonabi

Ok, I played the demo. No issues with how it looks, definitely not a showcase of next-gen horsepower but that was clear already. Runs great on PS5 with RTX, I don have a counter but it feels like 60 most of the time.
Sometimes I felt it's not clear which obstacles you can vault over and which you can't. My aim is always shit in every game until I get used to it so hard for me to say anything at this point. Enemies can chase you but do only to a certain distance, wonder how that will work when you get swarmed and I think that was a good taste of it. Seems like you shouldn't be fighting all the mobs that come out as you find the wounded civilian, I missed a path, backtracked, ran out of ammo but somehow made it but only to the garage. I'd be up for replaying if that was possible.

Yeah, the unclear vaults and the way context actions don't always pop-up/activate were issues for me too. I haven't had that much trouble with the latter since Silent Hill 4.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Just played through the demo and very much enjoyed it.

Tip: go into the small cabin on the left at the start of the field to find the shotgun and siege the Lycans - easy to miss.

The graphics in the outdoor sections are decent but a bit greyscale monochrome, however for me when you enter Luiza's house the graphics really shine (PS5). Great detail in the textures, cloth etc and impressive lighting and shadows with the raytracing.

The only negative issue for me is the narrow field of view. Trying to play the game quite quickly to get through it in just 30 mins, and moving the camera around fast made me feel a bit queasy! Wish it was a wider field of view, it's like walking around with an eyepatch.
Yeah that for me was a big downer. It wasn't immediately noticeable but when it hit me, man my head hurt pretty bad for a good while, didn't get too nauseous thankfully but a day later and I still feel off.

As others have said I wasn't a fan of the delivery and melodrama, especially after certain events. The action felt kind of lame too sadly with little weight to the combat. I did like the potential for puzzles and inventory management, but I suspect it'll be pretty simple crafting since that sells. I felt the writing was terrible for the most part and yet I can love games and film with bad writing and dubs, go figure. I think its because stuff like the original RE were more campy fun, whereas this still seems less like a fun game and more apeing what's worked for horror games in the west for a while. Just with RE gimmicks. I'll probably be skipping this though I want to see the Lady and her daughters. Ah well.

My gf and I really miss the 3rd person view. I hate the CoD style cutscenes, nobody in life acts like that, it feels like some goofy VR shit, with modern ass shaky cam. Ugh god what sloppy and lazy game design. Must be great on devs though, less to animate and get some mo-cap actors to fill in. In some ways I'd prefer "my face is tired" animations than this cause at least then I get a chuckle out of it.

FunkMiller

Holy fuck, that was not good.

I wasn't expecting much in terms of graphics as it's cross gen, but there was literally nothing I could detect other than the frame rate that felt like it used the Ps5's power at all.

And the acting and dialogue was fifth grade stuff...

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just breezed through the demo and thought it was amazing overall. Can‘t wait for the full version.

Gotta give props to Capcom on how they manage to reinvent the series so often. It‘s by far my favourite series ever and aside from RE6 I loved every thing they did with RE. Some of the directions a bit more, others a bit less. But all of them were great and it looks like Village is just continuing on this with the more action heavy approach of the RE7 gameplay. And yeah, I do miss the 3rd person view as well but we with RE2 and 3 we had two games with this in the past 2 years so I‘m actually kinda digging a first person view Rae again. May can‘t come soon enough. Needless to say I already have it pre-ordered. First game since Death Stranding actually.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well that was very underwhelming.....
and why do the characters look like they're from older game then RE2 & 3 Remake.
It's almost like RE2 & 3 Remake was using the REengine and this was running on
some upgraded MT Framework engine.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This is pretty goofy so far. I don't know if it's because it's a demo and they cut stuff out or something, but the way you're supposed to care about people you met literally 5 minutes ago is super silly.

Also Ethan being upset is straight up Tommy Wiseau tier.

TGO

Ok, I played the demo. No issues with how it looks, definitely not a showcase of next-gen horsepower but that was clear already. Runs great on PS5 with RTX, I don have a counter but it feels like 60 most of the time.
Sometimes I felt it's not clear which obstacles you can vault over and which you can't. My aim is always shit in every game until I get used to it so hard for me to say anything at this point. Enemies can chase you but do only to a certain distance, wonder how that will work when you get swarmed and I think that was a good taste of it. Seems like you shouldn't be fighting all the mobs that come out as you find the wounded civilian, I missed a path, backtracked, ran out of ammo but somehow made it but only to the garage. I'd be up for replaying if that was possible.
It's probably locked 45fps.

SCB3

I enjoyed it, I love the atmosphere and having Lycans as the enemy is an interesting choice, Im a big fan of Daytime horror as it tends to be smarter horror than jump scares

I will say, the enemies are not as tanky as the Moulded from 7, but attack in greater numbers

I'm day one, playing on PS5 it looked and played well, I'm going to do a full play of re7 again before though

Game looks like shit. RE7 had more character and loved the setting in that one.

The Lycans just slowly following you around (even though they massively outnumber you) is just comical.

Played a bit on PS5.

Man it controls horribly even with aim acceleration off. Not fun. Been an age since I played RE7 so maybe that was the same but RE2 Remake was fine when I went through it not so long ago. PC might be ok I guess with a mouse.

Some of the voice acting is awful and not in a campy Jill sandwich way just bad. Ethan is so bad like the temp voice acting a staff member might do before the actual voice actor records their stuff. The lip syncing is off putting too for some reason.

Some of the indoor graphics are nice but the outdoor stuff is just visually unappealing.

TGO

The game is more RE4 then anything in terms of style, which to some maybe a good thing but it's still isn't the right direction imo and going back to square one of where it's went wrong
It's makes me wonder what a RE2remake type game would look like on Next-Gen

Terenty

Sorry, but not being able to jump and climb some low ass fences and roofs in a first person shooter is a complete facepalm.

Aggelos

Guys the graphics don't look so "wow", because developer Thomas Puha from Remedy Games explained it, the other day.

-What you see now with upgraded last-gen games to next-gen is limited by what you initially wrote as code for last-gen systems.
-It's not realistic/feasible to completely recode everything to use next-gen power because of time and resources.

-The consoles are constantly being updated by Sony/MS for better performances, "it's super early days".
-Sony stuck with what works, so their system development and tools were stable and good early on.
-MS decided to change a lot of things, good in the long run, but a bigger hurdle for devs early on.

-Everyone talks about teraflops this and that, it's just numbers to devs, what really matters to devs are the tools and how everything is coming together, at the end of the day.
-Takes a huge amount of resources to make sure each platform runs the game efficiently, so it depends on how big your company is and the resources you are willing to invest in that process.
-Devs are just scratching the surface of next-gen.

Last edited:
That's so fucking stupid. God damn you Capcom that's lame. Thanks. Glad I wasted 45 mins downloading an unplayable demo cause of Capcoms stupid ego.

TheKratos

I have nothing positive to say about the demo. Combat is bad as RE7 which seems deliberate, graphics are meh but at least 60fps. Really sad the direction this franchise is going.

assurdum

Banned
If the ps5 version is checkerboard to get to 4k, what technique will the xbox series x use?
CBR is not exclusive of playstation. It was used on Xbox console too on Capcom engine. If I'm not wrong even the Dice engine uses CBR on both pc and Xbox console

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Is the dialogue better when it’s not in English? I do not have any experience with interpreting other languages. Does it have a better feeling than it does in English? That’s what I’m trying to ask.
I'm Spanish, so that's why I'm playing in my language. Its has a good dub with professional voice actors with experience in movies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have 3080 and 120hz oled so wanted to get it on the pc but the adaptive triggers in ps5 demo were great. I just think the aiming was a bit delayed on the sticks

sublimit

Banned
Anyone else likes to go back to these threads now?

And we still have people here trying to defend Dusk Golem.

I’ll get it bc I love anything RE but it was decent for the most part. There’s a few quality of life features added (press X to break boxes) and I like the return of the cache inventory system a la RE4.

The acting and dialogue, however, is as bad as ever. There’s just no sense of urgency or epicness as previous classic RE games had (music, environment, even the cheese factor of the lines); as one poster mentioned, the cutscenes and acting look very “codified”. Also, the sound of the handgun sounds super weak.

Why are PlayStation fans the only ones who keep bringing up this shit? It was shit then. It's shit now. Forget it and stop fucking talking about dumbasses. Let them be forgotten
They are quite literally traumatized from all the FUD. They anxiously anticipated this game, ready to commit seppuku if the FUD is true. Luckily, it wasn't (duh) and now they feel immense relief, which they have to share with everyone, apparently.

:messenger_winking:

They are quite literally traumatized from all the FUD. They anxiously anticipated this game, ready to commit seppuku if the FUD is true. Luckily, it wasn't (duh) and now they feel immense relief, which they have to share with everyone, apparently.

:messenger_winking:

Well of course people were genuinely worried about the PS5 being an underpowered broken system. Thankfully that didn't happen and everyone should he grateful for that.

skneogaf

I have 3080 and 120hz oled so wanted to get it on the pc but the adaptive triggers in ps5 demo were great. I just think the aiming was a bit delayed on the sticks

Did you turn off the acceleration aim? As soon as I did it felt 100 times better.

skneogaf

Yoshida is playing the demo so I tweeted him the funny gif.

h9pL3BV.jpg

Last edited:

Arachnid

Game looks like shit. RE7 had more character and loved the setting in that one.

The Lycans just slowly following you around (even though they massively outnumber you) is just comical.
Well you do have a shotgun. I wouldn't want to take buckshot to the face either, regardless of how many friends I have. The devs wanted the lycans to mimic wolves hunting in packs. Sometimes they'll just stalk and watch if they're alone, but they do attack if they have the pack around.

Also, this setting is miles beyond some dingy backwater mansion. I did love the Baker Estate, but the Spencer Mansion it was not.

Last edited:

Umbral

Did anyone else try the motion sensor aiming and see how absolutely terrible it is? If you’re not going to bother doing it well don’t do it at all. It could have been great but it’s useless as is. They should be embarrassed.

Sticks are antiquated at this point yet no developers are bothering to implement motion aiming except for the Switch.

kunonabi

Did anyone else try the motion sensor aiming and see how absolutely terrible it is? If you’re not going to bother doing it well don’t do it at all. It could have been great but it’s useless as is. They should be embarrassed.

Sticks are antiquated at this point yet no developers are bothering to implement motion aiming except for the Switch.
Every Playstation game's motion controls have been terrible that I've tried so i just gave up on them. I dont know why they have so much trouble with it.

Last edited:

rubhen925

What the everloving fuck? Finally get my kids to bed so I can turn this thing on and it says it has a 5+ day timer before I can play? What am I missing?
It's timed. Once the timer went off yesterday at 8 PM EST, you had 8 hours to play the demo. After that the Village demo gets locked out, and you get a new timer for the Castle demo. It's honestly dumb that it's timed. But yea. Europe and other regions should have it unlocked and finishing up soon. But there will be a 60 min demo start of May. it will have both village and castle demos if you missed them.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What the everloving fuck? Finally get my kids to bed so I can turn this thing on and it says it has a 5+ day timer before I can play? What am I missing?
Village Demo, PlayStation early access, available for 8 hours:

• North America: April 17, 5:00 PM PDT
  • Europe: April 18, 7:00 PM CEST
^that demo just ended, but you’ll have a chance in less than a week.
  • Castle Demo, PlayStation Early Access, available for 8 hours:

• North America: April 24, 5:00 PM PDT
    • Europe: April 25, 7:00 PM CEST
  • Full, Multiplatform Demo, available for 24 hours:

• North America: May 1, 5:00 PM PDT
    • Europe: May 2, 2:00 AM CEST

Umbral

Every Playstation game's motion controls have been terrible that I've tried so i just gave up on them. I dont know why they have so much trouble with it.
Days Gone worked well for me. There’s hardly any games that implement it. It’s kind of surprising that Sony put a gyro in the DualSense and still nobody is using it for aiming. I heard TLoU2 added it, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Edit: I forgot, Astro uses it briefly and I thought it worked great there.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Anyone else likes to go back to these threads now?

And we still have people here trying to defend Dusk Golem.
Can’t use a near finished version to disprove early performance concerns. Who knows, might’ve run without checkerboarding at native 4K or with more details back then. It was a long time ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom