• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village: Village Demo Gameplay (PS5)

Well you do have a shotgun. I wouldn't want to take buckshot to the face either, regardless of how many friends I have. The devs wanted the lycans to mimic wolves hunting in packs. Sometimes they'll just stalk and watch if they're alone, but they do attack if they have the pack around.

Also, this setting is miles beyond some dingy backwater mansion. I did love the Baker Estate, but the Spencer Mansion it was not.
The setting does have promise. I won't deny that. Maybe I was just expecting something different. The enemies appear faar too relaxed even if they outnumber you. One demo the guy only had a knife and followed around by a bunch of lycans.

I'm just sick and tired of seeing enemies not having better AI with each new generation. It all seems like copy/paste with new lick of paint.

Well if this is the ray tracing mode then there obviously isnt some silly 45fps cap on. as this is clearly 60fps most of the time. Unless its only certain parts of the game where there is heavy RT and the game auto locks to 45fps in those parts.
Hopefully thats wrong though as a 45fps cap just sounded stupid to me.
It's assumed the game runs at 60 with dips to 45.

sublimit

Banned
Can’t use a near finished version to disprove early performance concerns. Who knows, might’ve run without checkerboarding at native 4K or with more details back then. It was a long time ago.
Lets be honest here this is an excuse that Dusk Golem would have used in case his tales from his arse wouldn't end up true.

tommib

I have to say I find the previous visual showcase demo much more interesting. At least you were able to imagine what they could do with the lush environments. The Village demo is just a reality check for RE7 part II.

The gameplay tropes are so overdone by this point. Also, too many cutscenes taking control over gameplay. The whole thing is a bit of a disaster but I'm sure everything will make more sense in the final game.

Didn't see a thread about this, so i started one. Village Demo (1st of 3 demos) is out on the PS5 in the US. Other regions start rolling in tomorrow. Couple of things to note:

1) This shows the village section. You can finish this in about 10-15 mins if you run to doors and checkpoints.
2) Apparently there's a shotgun in the demo. I couldn't find it.
3) Turn off the acceleration and camera wobble in settings. It sucks balls. It makes aiming wobbly a lot and also messes with the camera.
4) These lycans can be killed with bullets to the head or with knife attacks. Just guard when they attack to nullify their damage. I don't do a good job here as it is my first time, but you can avoid them entirely as well
5) Demo is only available for a limited time. So go download on PS4 or PS5.
6) Sorry for not recording in 4K. My recording device decided to record in 1080 for some random reason.....

Hope you guys get a chance to play it. Sadly the other platforms will have to wait till May to play the demos. Cheers

Why do you need a capture card when the PS5 records at 4K60fps? You could've just put your internal recorded gameplay clip on to share factory studio, export the 4k60fps clip and directly upload it to youtube?

LMJ

Looks alright but upclose looks like a ps4 game.

because it is lol, ALL cross gen games are last gen, PS4 Pro/BoneX code is used for the next gen versions, there's a reason no cross gen game has blown you away...still higher res, unlocked FPS and RT are some nice bells and whistles while devs move to newer engines

Sony gets exclusive Demo Time frame here. So Demo for Xbox is coming later.
BTW... A Waste of Money Sony🤦‍♂️

Actually it probably wasn't, every demo on YT by the ...(ugh) influencers is PS footage, that's great Pr for Sony, and like it or not YT gamers have a great deal of influence (regardless of their agenda/lies/ignorance etc) with viewers...millions of them. I will agree the timed demo is stupid though...

TheGejsza

I'm a huge RE fan, loved RE7 and I feel a bit dissapointed - that's my opinion for now but 30min timer did not help me in "exploring the great enviroment" as Capcom says. I mean it's super retarded demo tbh. Game based on expoloration and you don't have time to explore. I could not finish in time and I WAS RUSHING.

PROS:
  • I absoluetly love that grotesque mystery-like atmosphere. Village (location) looks really cool, the castle from MAIDEN demo was also looking really interesting too.
  • Design and details - a lot of them. Japanese school of visual-design.
  • Interiors looks great. Lightning, mostly high-res textures, a lot of objects.
CONS
  • Bullet sponges - I just can't understand why we need 50 bullets and each enemy needs like 5-10 bullets. Those precious bullets are loosing their value. It would be way better if we had like 5-7 rounds but each hit would do a major damage to enemies, make every shot and miss count. Because of this spongines I think shooting does not feel very good. I think every hit should count - you hit the leg - lycan drops on the ground for a while or just slow down. You shot the hand - he drops weapons and does lower damage. You shoot head - it staggers lycan and second shot in head kills him. This would make for way more strategic combat - you got 2 lycans and only 2 rounds? No chance to kill them but you can shoot their legs to slow them down and run away. You have 1 bullet and no way to pass the enemy without taking dmg? Shoot the hand to lower their dmg. etc. Instead it feels like shooting from peashooter. I mean the lycans are already fast moving - force player to think and take their time before pulling the trigger! It would add sooo much more tensions to those fights.
  • Graphics are mostly not impressive
  • The writing is weird - I mean RE was always B-class horror but there is something off with Village. Like game expects you to treat it really seriously and then comes the writing and screenplay and delivery.
  • Default controls are bad
  • Visual problems - something weird with post-processing. The screen smears a lot when moving camera - for me it does not loke like camera motion blur but like some kind of bad TAA implementation. Hard to say. Also there are some weird lightning haloing - you can see it in the scene with villagers inside house - there is one dude in the back (the one with the bandages and medical crutches) that got weird very visible halo around when he sits on the bench in the back of the house. But when he moves closer to player it dissapears.
OTHER
  • Not sure about whole Werewolves and Vampires stuff. It feel disjointed from RE universe. But on the other hand RE series plot is so fucked up at this point xD

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'm sure when you have thje game infront of you on screen, it will probably impress in its own way.
I thought Resi Evil 7 was a very deceptive game graphically. Some of the textures were very poor upclose, but some areas looked almost photorealistic, and as impressive 'realism' wise as anything i have played.

Bramble

Wow @ all the negativity. 30 minutes was short, but I like what I'm seeing. RE's gameplay loop never gets old. I love exploring and finding items and figuring out where and how to use them and slowly open up more of the levels/maps and story.

Matt_Fox

Having played it, and seen at what point the demo naturally ends, you could play through the segment in relaxed stress-free fashion in 40 mins.

8 hours of Resident Evil 8, okay go with that as a limitation. But to also add the 30 mins timer was so unnecessary, just annoyed and confused people (plus it didn't give people enough time to tinker with the settings, and turn off the janky motion settings).

Whoever approved the 30 mins timer made a poor decision imho.

TheGejsza

Wow @ all the negativity. 30 minutes was short, but I like what I'm seeing. RE's gameplay loop never gets old. I love exploring and finding items and figuring out where and how to use them and slowly open up more of the levels/maps and story.
This is not our fault that Capcom limited our playtime. What an absolute of a shitshow is that demo. I don't say RE games does not have depth and value but we are discussing what we are able to experiance - this demo was their idea to show us their game. Rushing just don't give a justice to RE series but that's not our fault we cant apprecieate little detials because of stupid timer.

They need to feel wrath of heaven and hell for such a retarded demo restiction. I'm ok with 30 min max playtime per session. But ONLY 1 playthrough in very limited time frame with 30 min timer? Fuck them.

Part of me wants to think that that those stupid restircions for demo are made because they could not compile separate part of game for real demo and just throw us full game but with network and time restricions so player would not dig too much out of the demo.

Last edited:

Arachnid

The setting does have promise. I won't deny that. Maybe I was just expecting something different. The enemies appear faar too relaxed even if they outnumber you. One demo the guy only had a knife and followed around by a bunch of lycans.

I'm just sick and tired of seeing enemies not having better AI with each new generation. It all seems like copy/paste with new lick of paint.
Actually, I agree with that seeing it written out. I haven't been impressed by AI since the Xeno in Alien Isolation. No one else ever tries to innovate there. I do love the lycan more than most RE enemies (using numbers, speed, evasive manuverse, climbing up buildings, surrounding you; miles beyond the molded already), but they are still a bit retarded when they get in your face. Aggressive and fast, right up until that moment. I get we'd likely be screwed if they weren't, but even in mine on hardcore, they lost their aggression when they got right up to me and were powerless against Ethan putting up his arms.

assurdum

Banned
Oh godMight not have been a waste of money, but rather a calculated move if the game runs better on XSX. Would be an opportunity to ward off any initial bad press.
Let Me Help You GIF by VH1

But I want to take you seriously. How in the hell Sony can know if it would have runs worse on ps5? You think Capcom contacted them from the future using their time machine saying "dare sony ps5 version will run worse in 2021, hurry up make an exclusive deal before it's too late, now we can come back to our time line, mission accomplished."

Last edited:

Bramble

This is not our fault that Capcom limited our playtime. What an absolute of a shitshow is that demo. I don't say RE games does not have depth and value but we are discussing what we are able to experiance - this demo was their idea to show us their game. Rushing just don't give a justice to RE series but that's not our fault we cant apprecieate little detials because of stupid timer.

They need to feel wrath of heaven and hell for such a retarded demo restiction. I'm ok with 30 min max playtime per session. But ONLY 1 playthrough in very limited time frame with 30 min timer? Fuck them.

Part of me wants to think that that those stupid restircions for demo are made because they could not compile separate part of game for real demo and just throw us full game but with network and time restricions so player would not dig too much out of the demo.

Or just be happy we're getting 3 demo's total in a time where publishers barely release demo's? Maiden also wasn't timed.

Winter John

Gold Member
That low fov with no slider option had me turn it off after a couple of minutes. I will never understand why devs rarely add fov options on consoles, especially on fps.

Not upset.
Tired of reading the same thing in every thread too many times to count.

He left quite an impression when he made those statements so you can't blame some people for wanting to get some revenge. People dealt with a lot of FUD leading up to the PS5s release. It's only natural that they take it out on those that spread it.

MDSLKTR

Preach, as soon as I shot a diamond out of a ceiling I knew this will be RE4 part 2 and my hype is in overdrive now.

Kind of hoping the SX can pull off non-checkerboard resolution, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I guess I'll have to wait until the first week of May to see.

The whole limited time demo thing is stupid. Just let people play the damn game.

supernova8

Banned
That's good. The engine scales really well. Can't wait to see the Capcom magic once the crossgen transition period is over.

Don't know why, but Ethan here is likeable than the average dude that he was in RE7.
I think if the semiconductor shortage drags on, a lot of games will jut get artificially delayed because there won't be enough consoles for them to make a big profit on each game anyway.

Arun1910

The Maiden demo was a lot more tense than this.

For a showcase, I'm surprised this was even used as a demo. There isn't anything scary, it's day time, you're outside and they want you to find 2 keys.

Not saying moments like that aren't a nice change of pace, but as a game showcase this was boring.

Tried it last night, didn’t finish in time because I was exploring too much. Shocked I couldn’t do it again so switched to my other profile and speedrun it in 8 minutes. It’s continuation of RE7 and it’s clear now I will always prefer 3rd person RE, not this. Well, you know it’s Resident Evil when you need to put stuff in slots to open something, glad they’re keeping the tradition going. Enemies are huge bullet sponges and I was playing on normal, bullets didn’t do shit to them until I threw a mine before one, that was satisfying. It’s best to just avoid them especially when you have pea shooters in your hands. Maybe knife is more effective, wouldn’t be the first time in RE.

I seriously hate games taking control away from you every few seconds. It was all scripted later on but I get they were trying to showcase some characters/story/atmosphere, that’s important in a demo, can’t be all gameplay. Looks intriguing.

Graphically, not that impressed on PS4 but interiors were superior I’d say. Almost wished it was a bit wider area, felt to tight and narrow. Open-world RE maybe in the future?

Can’t buy 8-hour singleplayer games at full price but will surely check it out later down the line.

Last edited:
He left quite an impression when he made those statements so you can't blame some people for wanting to get some revenge. People dealt with a lot of FUD leading up to the PS5s release. It's only natural that they take it out on those that spread it.
It's been over 6 months and it's a Video game console. These are supposed to be adults. I say grow up and get over it.

rubhen925

Why do you need a capture card when the PS5 records at 4K60fps? You could've just put your internal recorded gameplay clip on to share factory studio, export the 4k60fps clip and directly upload it to youtube?
I dont use the ps5 4K recording. It uses webm format and that has issues with my Adobe premiere. Plus the bitrate is set to 50 mbps. When I record 4k I usually record at 90 to 100 mbps.

Huh, didn't really do it for me. Like, not scary at all and the voice acting was pretty bad. Couldn't they have at least gotten the actors to fake a Romanian accent? The character voicing ranged from Victorian era school marm to mid-west American dad. I don't doubt it'll be fun, regardless.

kunonabi

The Maiden demo was a lot more tense than this.

For a showcase, I'm surprised this was even used as a demo. There isn't anything scary, it's day time, you're outside and they want you to find 2 keys.

Not saying moments like that aren't a nice change of pace, but as a game showcase this was boring.

The weird thing is you can either run into a bunch of werewolves or not even see one. People are going to came away with very different impressions since the stupid thing is timed and you might only end up with one crack at it. Just doesnt seem that well thought out to me.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Lets be honest here this is an excuse that Dusk Golem would have used in case his tales from his arse wouldn't end up true.
Just saying. The game obviously ran badly at one point, checkerboarding isn’t there because it’s cool, it’s there because 60fps wasn’t possible without it.

skneogaf

Guys, you should wait for my analysis of the game for the RT. I can tell you exactly what is RT and what is not.

From the looks of things, the RT they used is very limited and probably only 1 feature. This doesn't look like a Cyberpunk RT featured game.

I thought I saw three in a picture comparison but I could definitely be wrong.

assurdum

Banned
Just saying. The game obviously ran badly at one point, checkerboarding isn’t there because it’s cool, it’s there because 60fps wasn’t possible without it.
I wouldn't be surprised if DMCV SE was CBR too and DF missed it...I don't remind any game by Capcom without CBR on console. If it's really CBR because not seems clear at all. For example on pro exhibits ghosting in 4k CBR but not on ps5. Why?

Last edited:
Top Bottom