• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Village's fetus monster is absolute nightmare fuel in VR (and I love it)

Drizzlehell

Banned
Even with that vomit inducing half way vr it’s still clunkier with the third free look mixed in. Or at least with my experience with every game that has had the same setup. But maybe eye tracking fixes the disorientation issue?
Sounds like you just have weak VR legs. The game is far easier to play with motion controls and head tracking. It's like your entire body becomes the controller for everything except actual walking, for which you merely need to use the analog stick. It's so much more easy to land accurate shots on enemies when you don't have to rely on clunky analog controls for aiming.

Crayon

1st person horror games without VR feels like retro gaming to me at this point. There's almost zero immersion.

Horror games never really did it for me. Well, they did in terms of having heavy atmosphere and unsettling images. But that is usually my limit for "scared" on flat things. I don't get any adrenaline. When I played re7 in vr, I was actually body-scared. re8 is far more immersive than that. I couldn't go back to the rudimentary implementation of 7.

That’s like saying “oh my god it was the scariest movie i’ve ever watched in my life” just because you watched it at 3 AM alone with the room light closed. Transforming horror games? C’mon.

Alright, take a given scary movie. Now watch it in the day with the light and a friend over and then watch it at night alone and sleep deprived. Yes the movie evokes a different reaction because you have certain psychological responses going on that you have little control over now that the environment is different. The movie goes from not scary at all to getting you a little jumpy.

Now stick your whole head in the tv like poltergeist.

It’s very much easier to move/ run around in the regular non vr game. It always is..

I don't know what exactly you are saying here and it turned out you were experiencing motion sickness, but the gameplay is way enhanced here. They did a good job of vr'ing the control scheme. They even have pavlov-style manual reloading. The world interaction is still that of a flat game but as long as you are not interested in breaking random bottles and such, you get real vr control.

It is far far more rich and expressive than a controller fps. I'm peaking around corners QCQ with my knife in one hand and my gun in the other. Easier/harder, idk but it's a completely different paradigm. You can have a preference but playing a game with 2x 6dof controllers is vastly more bandwidth for input. Compared to 4 axis? That's a massive leap.

Is this mode a ps exclusive like 7 was or does it have pcvr support too?

This official version is ps only. There is a mod for pc that is supposedly not as good. I have heard no details, just vague assesments like "less polish" etc. I may well find it better.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think there is more scary game than Alien Mother VR mod, it is truly stressful and scary at the same time.

Drizzlehell

Banned
That’s like saying “oh my god it was the scariest movie i’ve ever watched in my life” just because you watched it at 3 AM alone with the room light closed. Transforming horror games? C’mon.
Talking about how awesome VR can be is literally pointless unless you experience something like that for yourself. No words can ever explain it. It's like trying to describe a third dimension to a two-dimensional being.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't think there is more scary game than Alien Mother VR mod, it is truly stressful and scary at the same time.
Yeah, I love to explore levels in that game because they feel so real and lived-in, just like they did in the first movie. The atmosphere in this game is simply amazing. I remember spending like an hour just hanging around in the crew lounge in the opening level and listening to the environmental sounds. It's the kind of level of immersion that can ruin other games for you, and you'll never look at a flat screen the same way again, lol.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, I love to explore levels in that game because they feel so real and lived-in, just like they did in the first movie. The atmosphere in this game is simply amazing. I remember spending like an hour just hanging around in the crew lounge in the opening level and listening to the environmental sounds. It's the kind of level of immersion that can ruin other games for you, and you'll never look at a flat screen the same way again, lol.
What stood the most for me, was the sound, with headphones, you've heard how Alien roams around and it almost never stoped. It just felt horrorish, without much jumpscares, even though they were there. It was genuinely exhausting after few hours of play time. And I had a bad dreams few days afterwards, worth it : D

Drizzlehell

Banned
I never understood why people want to play games that make them scared.

It's like taking a club to your own nuts.
It's thrilling. Not that difficult of a concept to grasp, buddy.

seeing Lady Dimitrescu in her full glory.
maxresdefault.jpg

Literally me during gameplay.

What stood the most for me, was the sound, with headphones, you've heard how Alien roams around and it almost never stoped. It just felt horrorish, without much jumpscares, even though they were there. It was genuinely exhausting after few hours of play time. And I had a bad dreams few days afterwards, worth it : D
Yeah, the sound and visual design of that game is stellar. I actually managed to play through this game so many times looong before I ever saw it in VR so I got completely desensitized to its scares, but NGL, in VR I got a little nervous again, lol. Although for me the VR experience was mostly about vibing in that virtual setting. Human corpses and alien monsters aside, there's just something about that 70s retro-futuristic aesthetic that I find so cozy, I just wanna live in that world and VR is the closest way to experience it like that, lol. It's so awesome that we can actually do that kind of stuff these days.

I'm actually considering buying VorpX just to try out some other games with really immersive worlds.

Lunarorbit

So glad I played through RE4 and 7/8 last year. I had heard a little about the baby and might have seen an image of it but in game its something else.

You see the picture and think, oh OK that's not too bad. But in context of the story it's even more messed up and awesome.

When I get a psvr2 I'll have to replay this! I don't know if the fact I beat the game already will make it less nerve racking

Tiamat2san

Question: can you play seated ?
I have a terrible sense of balance in real life , i would fall if i play while standing.

Last edited:

Resenge

Question: can you play seated ?
I have a terrible sense of balance in real life , i would fall if i play while standing.
Yes, no problem for most games, I played all the way through Village seated and felt like a bad ass doing it. Just be sure to use a swivel chair, pc chair or something without armrests if you can.

Last edited:

Crayon

S*** I was playing this last night. They can dump a shocking amount of enemies on you without giving you much practice LOL.

So get this I was playing bloodborne style. Getting really low on pistol ammo so I had my knife in my left hand and I was using the pistol to parry point blank. Like eating rats to survive but I did it.

MarkMe2525

Something tells me you have never played a VR FPS before.
I have the same experience as the poster you are replying to. Generally speaking, I can move around on the x and z axis easier within a flat game vs VR. On the contrary, I find moving in a world with verticality (x y and z axis) such as a game where you can swing around like spider man easier in VR.

An anecdote I have is when I play paintpall in Rec Vr with my daughter. You can play this game flat or in Vr. My daughter and I will often switch between a game console and the Quest headset, and when I am using a traditional controller, I clean house.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
the only scary part of this mid ass game for me was the amount of praise it got. But each to their own I guess. I quite liked Re 2 remake but none of them have captured the atmosphere of the original ps1 game.

krumble

Personally I found that section and the creature baby to be terrifying on a normal tv, was the only scary part of village to be honest

You should give The Forest in VR a try OP. I played it recently on my Index after dropping some years ago because my PC wasn't up to snuff on it. I was in my camp just minding my own business, no weird noises or anything out of the ordinary, until I turned around. There they were, 2 cannibals just standing about 15 feet away staring at me silently and not moving. I instinctively started letting out like grunting animal noises, the kind you'd use to ward off a bear or something. Even knowing the game doesn't recognize the microphone input so there's no way for the AI to react to the sounds I was making, it just came out so naturally and it was the biggest scare I ever had in my gaming life lol

Markio128

I’d say most games scare the bejesus out of me in VR. Even Pistol Whip causes me mad panic, when there are multiple bullets heading towards me.
Moss made me shout a loud profanity last night, when a robotic Sauron’s eye fired a frikkin lazer beam at me haha.
Saints and Sinners should be hilarious tomorrow.

Drizzlehell

Banned

I know right, try doing any of that in the flat version.

That shit is hilarious, lol. I spent like 20 minutes practicing my knife throwing on pigs last night and earlier I chased Lady Dimitrescu around and punching her in the ass. Too bad you can't cock the shotgun with one hand because I'd totally do that every time.

Drizzlehell

Banned
VR "is not there yet"
I love it when people say shit like this and then I fire up a game where I can literally point a gun at some dude's head, and with my own voice interrogate him, mug him, tell him to lie face down on the ground and then bonk him on the head and hide the body in a locker by manually having to pick it up and shove him in there. The only thing that's missing is being able to smoke a cigarette and tighten my bandana.

Do you guys even use that thing correctly? Like, what the fuck else do you expect from this? Star Trek holodeck?

simpatico

Village is incredibly underrated. I think it's the second best RE. As a father that scene really fucked with me. Village is so memorable. Most games I can't remember a single story beat or environment after a few months. I played Village at launch and feel like I remember the whole thing in detail.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Village is incredibly underrated. I think it's the second best RE. As a father that scene really fucked with me. Village is so memorable. Most games I can't remember a single story beat or environment after a few months. I played Village at launch and feel like I remember the whole thing in detail.
it was actually my 'favorite'(though im a sucker for Gothic horror)at first but that was the hype mode speaking 😋

top 5 for sure, i loved RE7 and really wanted to play a sequel ,VILLAGE hits with lots of memorable parts and its a worthy entry ,but in the end stays a little far from what made RE7 so shocking and instead tries to resemble familiar territory,the controls aren't as fun either for shooter action,or for RE1/RE7 survival horror, its also a little less scary than i hoped(but still good),also the DLC is cool

Honestly, from what i played of the RE4 Demo that game is going to be the perfect mix of RE4 + RE7 design that VILLAGE was supposed to be,you will see it in the art direction and sound design its gonna be awesome 🤤

Minsc

Gold Member
The biggest difference to me is RE4 is more action, even than Village. The game encourages you to roundhouse kick hordes of enemies rather than use your ammo, where Village treats the ammo as a sacred resource and has no takedown prompts. I'm sure on replays you can bypass a lot of stuff in Village simply by running to the exits without fighting, but I really love the aesthetic as well, and I'm definitely going to enjoy a new game + with the fully upgraded weapons and just wrecking havoc left and right. Give poor Ethan a little respite by allowing him to one-shot every monster in that village haha. But RE4 is going to be something else, or at least I really hope it will be!

Aesius

I love it when people say shit like this and then I fire up a game where I can literally point a gun at some dude's head, and with my own voice interrogate him, mug him, tell him to lie face down on the ground and then bonk him on the head and hide the body in a locker by manually having to pick it up and shove him in there. The only thing that's missing is being able to smoke a cigarette and tighten my bandana.

Do you guys even use that thing correctly? Like, what the fuck else do you expect from this? Star Trek holodeck?
What game is that?

Drizzlehell

Banned
What game is that?
It's called ESPIRE 2

It's very heavily inspired by Metal Gear Solid but with its own unique hook. Really cool stuff. Well made and polished, and the graphics are also surprisingly good for a mobile version.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think they are talking about the bulky headset, vr is not gonna be mainstream until an headset is gonna have the shape of a pair of glasses.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
You should give The Forest in VR a try OP. I played it recently on my Index after dropping some years ago because my PC wasn't up to snuff on it. I was in my camp just minding my own business, no weird noises or anything out of the ordinary, until I turned around. There they were, 2 cannibals just standing about 15 feet away staring at me silently and not moving. I instinctively started letting out like grunting animal noises, the kind you'd use to ward off a bear or something. Even knowing the game doesn't recognize the microphone input so there's no way for the AI to react to the sounds I was making, it just came out so naturally and it was the biggest scare I ever had in my gaming life lol
Yes! I love the enemies and their AI in that game. They'll stand right by the edge of the firelight in otherwise pitch black dark and just stare...until they start moving... So freaky and good!

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I’d say most games scare the bejesus out of me in VR. Even Pistol Whip causes me mad panic, when there are multiple bullets heading towards me.
Moss made me shout a loud profanity last night, when a robotic Sauron’s eye fired a frikkin lazer beam at me haha.
Saints and Sinners should be hilarious tomorrow.
Yoooo, I forgot Saint and Sinners 2 is coming out! You just made my day.

I 100%-ed the first one because I wanted to wring everything out of it that I could. I almost never do that.

I'm going to play RE4 Remake first, but I know what I'm playing next.

dulleyes

Banned
Bruh, I am such a pansy when it comes to horror games, I'd likely nope out before the game starts in VR, so color me impressed that you even passed that part of the game in the first place.

I don't even flinch at horror movies, as I come from that industry, and so I'm always excited and intrigued by the how they made the scene, than I am ever afraid of them. But video games?

I noped out at the RE3 demo, that's how bad it is.

Techies

I just made sure to GTFO, when I saw that thing. I did not want to get caught to see what happens, I did not want to experience it again, I just wanted to get out.

Minsc

Gold Member
Finally got through all the daughters last night, now it's time to explore the castle more but now I have to deal with Lady D stalking me everywhere. It's like if I know where she is I'm fine, but when I open a door when she's nearby and you hear her footsteps, but can't see her, then turn and she's right there, the terror! She's not even that deadly, pretty slow, just has a decent range and will chase you, though there are safe areas. Pretty fun and terrifying at the same time, makes me worried about the house with the fetus monster, now I'm feeling less good about that. This game was really made for VR though, feels like something pretty specials as far as memorable games go.

Top Bottom