• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESISTANCE 2 REVEALED! 60man MP, 8p Co-op, 2 campaigns, etc HOLY $#!t

BeeDog

Member
I hope this topic (and probably the comments at IGN) shows what people think of the covers. Seriously, none of the three are retail-worthy, ugh. This behemoth of a game deserves better.
 

Billen

Banned
I got an invite via PSN, or someone was just messing with me. It came from an account that had something with the gametitle in their name. And they asked me to answer yes or no. Answered yes, but haven't got any emails regarding the beta. My PSN account has the correct emailadress entered.

Should I just report them?
 

Aeon712

Member
Billen said:
I got an invite via PSN, or someone was just messing with me. It came from an account that had something with the gametitle in their name. And they asked me to answer yes or no. Answered yes, but haven't got any emails regarding the beta. My PSN account has the correct emailadress entered.

Any idea as to what could be the problem?
Think you just sold your soul via PSN :(.
 

carlosp

Banned
#4 reminds me of this:

 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BeeDog said:
I hope this topic (and probably the comments at IGN) shows what people think of the covers. Seriously, none of the three are retail-worthy, ugh. This behemoth of a game deserves better.
The covers are fine. Retail-worthy even. The 'shopped versions aren't any better.
 

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
hmmm, yeah those 3 official covers are looking a bit lousy. I like 4 the best, but of the officials 3 is the one to go with.
 

jjasper

Member
Yeah I don't think any of the covers are that great and I really don't think the fourth one is any better. In fact as a game cover it is probably the worst.
 
jjasper said:
Yeah I don't think any of the covers are that great and I really don't think the fourth one is any better. In fact as a game cover it is probably the worst.

why?

i think the one metalmurphy posted is really good, and somehow catches the feeling of an invasion...while the other covers take this feeling away with the dull "hero and alien on cover"

would be funny if the cover would look like one of these letters promting you to join the resistance.
 
Please don't tell my Sonys putting that shitty "Only on PlayStation" crap on top of their boxes now. They have been good with that for all 3 generation leaving it off, and now they are putting it on? Seriously?
 

Madman

Member
jjasper said:
Yeah I don't think any of the covers are that great and I really don't think the fourth one is any better. In fact as a game cover it is probably the worst.
Agreed. Nothing about it stands out. Of everything I have seen, the third official boxart is the best. It doesn't look like generic boxart and gives you some idea about the game.
 

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Madman said:
Agreed. Nothing about it stands out. Of everything I have seen, the third official boxart is the best. It doesn't look like generic boxart and gives you some idea about the game.

I agree the 3rd is the best of the official, but I disagree about it not being generic. All 3 are fairly generic.
 
those collector edition doesn't look pretty :\

Third one if i had to choose [can't vote because i don't have email program installed and don't want to copy everything over to gmail :lol]

But the one just posted above I would pick.

That or just throw a black background and a logo on the cover and i'm game.
 
I hope they rethink this and do something like this.



Take some art of the cloverfield monster and put it in the background and then you got Nathan Hale there charging the monster or something.
 

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
Also, please JS tell me those boxarts are fake.....Call BruceleeRoy for some help or something...I have his number if you want it...
 
Orobi said:
Maybe this one is better...?
Ok, the artwork is "old" but it fit very well on the packshot.

I actually think this one is the best. I don't think that 4th one works; you need to have at least hale OR the chimera in there. Random alien ships could be sooo many different games. That said, I didn't care for either of the other two. The first one doesn't looks like hale and it does scream HL. The second one is better, but hale seems so deadpan, like he doesn't notice whats going one. Since the co-op is going to be a MASSIVE success and landmark, maybe it should be Hale, followed by the sentinels rushing the chimeran squad head-on.
 

-viper-

Banned
The mock-up '#4' looks far too empty, although I LOVE the colouring. I also agree that the boxart below is a better match:



But if I had to choose out of those three, the third one looks the best.
 

BeeDog

Member
jjasper said:

Here's an edited version without the Coming Soon stamp:



This, perhaps with a very subdued concept pic of a ruined city in the background (very discretely placed) would freakin' rock.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sankt-Antonio said:
i think the one metalmurphy posted is really good, and somehow catches the feeling of an invasion...
They all capture the feeling of an invasion because they all show some aspect of the invading force. Big deal - Going with the cover that just shows the Chimeran ships over the bridge isn't any less generic.

while the other covers take this feeling away with the dull "hero and alien on cover"
Emphasis on Hale is understandable, since they're trying to flesh him out more in this game. And the art is not simply generic hero art if you appreciate the background of the character and the possibilities of where the story is going. Each of the cover arts officially offered for selection very much carry a sort of Jekyll and Hyde insinuation of how Hale may evolve in this game.
 
Rapping Granny said:


Complete win.

Yeah completely.
Those other covers are absolute garbage. Someone is having to much novice
fun taking Hales face and experimenting with the wonderful world of photoshop filters.

PAINT DAUBS, ACRYLIC whats that?!

BeeDog said:
Here's an edited version without the Coming Soon stamp:



This, perhaps with a very subdued concept pic of a ruined city in the background (very discretely placed) would freakin' rock.

I fricken love this. On a thicker card stock this would look so good.
 

-viper-

Banned
BeeDog said:
Here's an edited version without the Coming Soon stamp:



This, perhaps with a very subdued concept pic of a ruined city in the background (very discretely placed) would freakin' rock.
That actually looks really, really good.
 

iceatcs

Junior Member
BeeDog said:
Here's an edited version without the Coming Soon stamp:



This, perhaps with a very subdued concept pic of a ruined city in the background (very discretely placed) would freakin' rock.


Need bitmap as well, Just like GTA4:LE.
 

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I guess I'm in the minority on liking some of the official covers. I just wish you guys weren't so derisive about how supposedly generic and cliche they are when none of the alternates provided are any different in that regard. A symbol stamped on an scratched metal background - whoa, that's totally unique!
 

andycapps

Member
I voted for 3. I can see that they're definitely trying to focus on Hale and make this a big seller, in that it's marketable. You know that the character on the front is the character you play as in the game. Anyway, looks pretty good. Not the best I've ever seen, but it's marketable to a wide audience and it's solid. I probably lean more on the artsy-fartsy side but that's probably not appealing to the masses.
 

theBishop

Banned
Special edition should be an MGS4:SE-style box with this


and a standard plastic box inside with this:

(which is the standard cover for all versions)
 

Evazan

aka [CFD] El Capitan
theBishop said:
Special edition should be an MGS4:SE-style box with this


and a standard plastic box inside with this:

(which is the standard cover for all versions)

Limited Edition ->



Note the awesome shark fin on the left. Vote now!
 
Evazan said:
Limited Edition ->



Note the awesome shark fin on the left. Vote now!

:lol :lol Good lord the stubble on the head is killing me!

kaching said:
I guess I'm in the minority on liking some of the official covers. I just wish you guys weren't so derisive about how supposedly generic and cliche they are when none of the alternates provided are any different in that regard. A symbol stamped on an scratched metal background - whoa, that's totally unique!

Its clean Kaching. It very simply gets across the epic nature of the game without relying on a cluster fu@#$ of images. It is catering to a fan base that knows how great the game will be not to people that walk into the store
and have no concept of what resistance is and go OH WOW a game where Aliens are attacking San Fransisco. Bungie could do it because of the immense popularity of Halo they didn't need to educate their
audience but Insomniac must still feel they need to.
 
Top Bottom