• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 Announced?

Golden gate bridge was on the logo for R2 and it was only one level, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions on the setting of the next game.

KZObsessed

Kittonwy said:
We had 18-20 people in the party almost every night in the first year, it was crazy.
Indifferent2.gif

Damn. Wish I was on GAF back then.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Mets39 said:
New York ? weird
i thought it would take place on new planet(s) since they revealed a third race that even chimera are afraid of ... i guess events will happen on earth
Honestly, R2's ending blew my mind. I'm not even sure what happened there.

I won't be surprised if Capelli is the main character of the game, especially with him being the star of the comic series. They seem to really want to build him up for something.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
BattleMonkey said:
I won't be surprised if Capelli is the main character of the game, especially with him being the star of the comic series. They seem to really want to build him up for something.
Capelli would feel at home in a Gears of War game. The shift doesn't surprise me considering R2's movements towards being conventional and mass-market.

KillerAJD

theignoramus said:
I hope you're talking about R2 here, if you're talking about KZ2, then I have to call bullshit on this. I've beaten it on Elite and there is absolutely more than one way of getting through just about any firefight, that's one of the reasons why the gunplay was so fucking satisfying. There's always another way to get through a level or section of the game, a vertical route, a shortcut, etc, the SP maps are designed like MP maps in this way. Which specific areas are you talking about?
Oh shit, guess I didn't make myself completely clear. Yes, I was talking about R2.

Kittonwy

Banned
MrPliskin said:
No, you apparently can't "tell good gameplay from bad". What you can do is tell everyone else what you think is perfect, and why anything different is "so terrible".

Killzone 2 had absolutely ridiculous input problems. The strange accelleration combined with the (slightly) corrected input lag made it feel terrible. Combine that with the "weight" of the game and it ends up feeling like you're controlling a tank, not a soldier.

The reason Killzone 2's sprint feels like a "sprint" is because the normal walk feels like a freaking crawl.

I can tell you that R2 was a considerably different game during the Private Beta. A much MUCH better game. Iron Sights actually had considerable impact on accuracy, as did movement. Unfortunately, people like you complained because it wasn't "Resistance enough" and it was changed, ultimately for the worse. Fall damage was removed, which pretty much made all the elevation in the game absolutely pointless. Grenade throwing distance was perfect and felt "right" until people started asking for Grenades you could throw across the screen ala R1.

Basically, the people who "knew good gameplay" ruined what would have been, people just like you. Screaming for changes during the beta, and turned it into what we have today. So thank you for your "knowledge".

And for the record, the problem with you and "wanting a better game visually" is that you want it in all the wrong areas with no real knowledge. You just toss around buzz words and then say "oh well it's virtually standard now-a-days LOL!!! indifferent.jpg".

If anything Killzone 2 controls like a soldier with the appropriate weight, sprint speed, guns with the right scope accuracy and gun recoil. I don't think anyone hopped on the Killzone 2 train other than Wollan who was RIGHT from day one, most of us got hooked because the Killzone 2 beta won us over.

The R2 private beta was crap, I don't know wtf you were playing. The fall damage was a minor problem, like the inability to control one's movement via airvents, compared to a lot of more fundamental things. Their idea of making people go ironsights was by fucking up hip-shooting at close-range, even SOCOM had better hip-shooting and SOCOM was a FAR more realistic shooter, ironsights is about first-shot accuracy and a much smaller recoil, the reticles for both the carbine and the bullseye were woefully inaccurate for scoping in. The reticle for the MAGNUM when HIP-SHOOTING was more accurate than both the carbine and the bullseye when scoped in, are you fucking kidding me? A more serious problem was the lack of feedback in terms of knowing whether you're hitting your target.

There were fundamental problems with map designs that they couldn't fix such as having no real landmarks that truly identify one side of the map from another but that's because they didn't really put enough care into each map. The grenade weight was fucked up, you don't have to allow throwing grenades across the map, but range was way too short in the private beta and more importantly it took too long for the grenade to travel in the air which was a bigger problem, especially for the hedgehog which floats like a mini-beachball.

Had the game stayed the same way as it was in the private beta, you would end up with just as mediocre a game, perhaps more, I'm sure you want that, but I'm not sure that would make a whole lot of difference when it comes to how it would be received by gaf. Don't blame this shit on me when I didn't tell them to go listen to myres.

It didn't have to play like R1, if they were going for something different, the point was to SUCCEED at what they were going for which they didn't do.

If you want me to go into specifics about the game visuals I can certainly do that, but it's more of a general problem of poor decisions made with regards to their lighting and shadowing solution and general lack of attention to details, shadows that needed to be real-time were baked (nobody is saying you can't baked some shadows that the player will never walk right into, some shadows were left out entirely, resulting in objects not even having baked shadows in the middle of a level where other objects and environmental pieces casting shadows, water not reflecting appropriately but showing refraction (maybe whatever engine Insomniac is using can't do reflective water), if they were trying to emulate a sunset in the SF level, shadows need to stretch appropriately or else it would break the believability, you can't have levels where the characters would cast shadows and things right next to them like boxes and sandbags don't, it's just a general lack of care in terms of simply slapping together a bunch of things and calling it a level.

Most people might not pay attention to particular details when playing but most likely they will get the overall picture and lack of immersion, even without things like HDR-lighting they could have made a much better-looking game, but they didn't.
Indifferent2.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I just hope they can bring back the online balance. The party system and the matchmaking were great, even though the matchmaking fell apart sometimes. The maps were ridiculously organized. They weren't just random, each team had balance and you knew where you were, and what was around you. Rage vs. Radar could be a bit unbalanced sometimes, but I still loved it. Getting your chance to wreck with rage, or outsmart as human always allowed you to change up your strategy each round successfully.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I dont think that you can read this, but R2 did have HDR.

Yea I missed the unique human versus chimera play, I know most people had concern of balance, but never saw any actual balance issues arise and it was all based on player skill.

With the gameplay being about large scale, it would seem that it would make more sense to try some vehicles as well in MP matches compared to games with 8-16 players with vehicles included. Chimeran walkers versus human tanks... would be some fun stuff. Or at least light vehicles like jeeps.

Call me crazy, but was I the only person that liked the designs of the MP in R1 more than R2?

I can't remember the exact names, but the ship, the grassy field with trees and the platforms connecting to wooden bridges, and the hanger were all AWESOME levels. I loved being a sniper in the hanger match. Picking people off as they get lifted up from the fan was hilarious. :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Call me crazy, but was I the only person that liked the designs of the MP in R1 more than R2?

I can't remember the exact names, but the ship, the grassy field with trees and the platforms connecting to wooden bridges, and the hanger were all AWESOME levels. I loved being a sniper in the hanger match. Picking people off as they get lifted up from the fan was hilarious. :lol
Yeah only you...
Have you read this thread or any R2 related thread?:lol

Fersis

Kittonwy said:
Show me a level with HDR.
Indifferent2.gif
hehehe i tought i was on your ignore list :lol
HDR can be applied as shader to materials, the grims used it. But you mean as a full lighting model ?
Anyway what you and many others dislike about R2 cant be fixed with HDR.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I know people are hating on R2, but I really didn't read up on people's opinion on MP. :lol
Well... something like Competitive sucks, co op rocks.

Kittonwy

Banned
Fersis said:
hehehe i tought i was on your ignore list :lol
HDR can be applied as shader to materials, the grims used it. But you mean as a full lighting model ?

I haz long since forgiven u, I r merciful kitton.
Indifferent2.gif

I mean full HDR lighting, like UNCHARTED 1/2.

Fersis

Kittonwy said:
I haz long since forgiven u, I r merciful kitton.
Indifferent2.gif

I mean full HDR lighting, like UNCHARTED 1/2.
*Hugs Kittonwy*
Though there wasnt anything to forgive :p

Yeah, i dont think that they used a full lighting model. Some of the materials looked like they had HDR or something similar.
Hey but gameplay cant be fixed with HDR, lack of polish cant be hidden with HDR, scripts error cant be fixed with HDR :)
Oh and Uncharted 2 is probably the most impresive thing i ever saw on PS3. (Cant wait to play!!)

I still remember the first time I tried the R2 beta. I was excited and joined a party with y2kev and Kittonwy in it. We jumped into a multiplayer game and within 5 minutes I got bored, asked if we could play co-op and stood around shooting the water to see the ripple effects. Didn't care for single player or co-op either. But I'm still hoping Insomniac manages to make Resistance 3 great.

Kittonwy

Banned
Fersis said:
*Hugs Kittonwy*
Though there wasnt anything to forgive :p

Yeah, i dont think that they used a full lighting model. Some of the materials looked like they had HDR or something similar.

I don't think they use real-time tone-mapping, and they did overuse bloom, ALOT. I think the bigger problem was trying to use baked shadows far too much, the player running through shadows should at least be reflected on his gun, and on SF you have NPCs casting shadows right next to sandbags that didn't. Maybe it's their production pipeline, the artists simply make the level and the designers just put the pieces in but the pieces aren't really capable of casting and receiving shadows, and they don't recalculate the lighting after that so things stick out. It's not like the engine runs at 60fps like in Ratchet, there's really no excuse when MAG which can support 256 players and most things in MAG do cast and receive shadows properly.

Proelite

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
Dude...if Resistance 3 took place in Africa, it would be the most amazing thing ever. Teach the Resident Evil guys how to do things right...Chimeran elephants and tigers or something. Or just regular elephants and tigers. Think about it...mankinds last hope is buried deep underground in some African lab yadda yadda. Works perfectly, gives me an excuse to venture forth.

I really just want to fight elephants and tigers in some capacity, dammit. RE5 should have delivered.

How many zoos does New York have? :( :( :(
Seriously, Africa, Australia, Asia, South America and Russia are much better choices than New York/America or Europe. We have enough games that are set in America and Europe. Dear White Developers, America and Europe are boring and overdone!!!

Proelite said:
Seriously, Africa, Australia, Asia, South America and Russia are much better choices than New York/America or Europe. We have enough games that are set in America and Europe. Dear White Developers, America and Europe are boring and overdone!!!
But this would be very expensive,no?
How big of a budget would the art team need to accurately recreate a sub-Saharan African landscape?

Proelite

theignoramus said:
But this would be very expensive,no?
How big of a budget would the art team need to accurately recreate a sub-Saharan African landscape?

As long as it's in a different locale than America or Europe its good. There is no passion or emotion stemming from fighting over a piece of land that's destroyed, barren, and lifeless. However, fighting in a destroyed, barren and lifeless environment that's visually and atmospherically different from the previous two games is better than wallowing in the same one. i.e. African or Asian rural shanty town vs Western city / sub-burb. Who really wants to play through a deserted metropolis for the 15th time in 10 different games?

MrPliskin

Banned
Kittonwy said:
If anything Killzone 2 controls like a soldier with the appropriate weight, sprint speed, guns with the right scope accuracy and gun recoil. I don't think anyone hopped on the Killzone 2 train other than Wollan who was RIGHT from day one, most of us got hooked because the Killzone 2 beta won us over.

The R2 private beta was crap, I don't know wtf you were playing. The fall damage was a minor problem, like the inability to control one's movement via airvents, compared to a lot of more fundamental things. Their idea of making people go ironsights was by fucking up hip-shooting at close-range, even SOCOM had better hip-shooting and SOCOM was a FAR more realistic shooter, ironsights is about first-shot accuracy and a much smaller recoil, the reticles for both the carbine and the bullseye were woefully inaccurate for scoping in. The reticle for the MAGNUM when HIP-SHOOTING was more accurate than both the carbine and the bullseye when scoped in, are you fucking kidding me? A more serious problem was the lack of feedback in terms of knowing whether you're hitting your target.

There were fundamental problems with map designs that they couldn't fix such as having no real landmarks that truly identify one side of the map from another but that's because they didn't really put enough care into each map. The grenade weight was fucked up, you don't have to allow throwing grenades across the map, but range was way too short in the private beta and more importantly it took too long for the grenade to travel in the air which was a bigger problem, especially for the hedgehog which floats like a mini-beachball.

Had the game stayed the same way as it was in the private beta, you would end up with just as mediocre a game, perhaps more, I'm sure you want that, but I'm not sure that would make a whole lot of difference when it comes to how it would be received by gaf. Don't blame this shit on me when I didn't tell them to go listen to myres.

It didn't have to play like R1, if they were going for something different, the point was to SUCCEED at what they were going for which they didn't do.

If you want me to go into specifics about the game visuals I can certainly do that, but it's more of a general problem of poor decisions made with regards to their lighting and shadowing solution and general lack of attention to details, shadows that needed to be real-time were baked (nobody is saying you can't baked some shadows that the player will never walk right into, some shadows were left out entirely, resulting in objects not even having baked shadows in the middle of a level where other objects and environmental pieces casting shadows, water not reflecting appropriately but showing refraction (maybe whatever engine Insomniac is using can't do reflective water), if they were trying to emulate a sunset in the SF level, shadows need to stretch appropriately or else it would break the believability, you can't have levels where the characters would cast shadows and things right next to them like boxes and sandbags don't, it's just a general lack of care in terms of simply slapping together a bunch of things and calling it a level.

Most people might not pay attention to particular details when playing but most likely they will get the overall picture and lack of immersion, even without things like HDR-lighting they could have made a much better-looking game, but they didn't.
Indifferent2.gif

From now on I should preface my posts with two things.

1) I am in the United States Army. I know what it's like to carry a 50 pound load wearing full body armor with plates. Killzone 2 is wrong.

2) Your "idea" of realistic, and the actual realism of hip shooting are completely different. You don't know shit. Socom is no where near "realistic' for hip shooting. Far too accurate.

Their idea of making people go ironsights was by fucking up hip-shooting at close-range

What? The hip shooting is very precise at close range, much more than Killzone for example. I agree that you can't aim really far (which is a assumed choice that can be discussed), but there is absolutely no problem with close combat with the carbine or the bulleye in R2. As for the feedback about whenever you hit someone, I don't know what you're talking about, every time you hit someone there is are big XP numbers over the head of your victim, I can't think of any other game where it's as obvious as R2 whether you hit someone or not.

If you want long range fighting stick with the chimeran sniper ^^

BattleMonkey said:
Golden gate bridge was on the logo for R2 and it was only one level, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions on the setting of the next game.
This is random, but if you look at the architecture of the bridge on the logo and the cover art, it is actually the Bay Bridge.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
MrPliskin said:

1) I am in the United States Army. I know what it's like to carry a 50 pound load wearing full body armor with plates. Killzone 2 is wrong.

2) Your "idea" of realistic, and the actual realism of hip shooting are completely different. You don't know shit. Socom is no where near "realistic' for hip shooting. Far too accurate.

1) and you run and jump around like a berserker, right? for hours on end...

they tryed to simulate this feeling of whereing this stuff, now compare it to call of duty, ...see its a little bit more like it is in real life...now isnt it

2) no shit... it wouldnt be funny to see only 1 out of 500 bullets hitting someone, maybe... reality=/=game

Fersis

lupinko said:
I like how this thread turned into R2 vs KZ2. :lol :D
Surprised ? Every R2 related thread ends up the same.

MrPliskin said:

Its not about being realistic ,its about being fun. Did you know that if you eat a mushroom you dont grow twice as large?

Kittonwy said:
I don't think they use real-time tone-mapping, and they did overuse bloom, ALOT. I think the bigger problem was trying to use baked shadows far too much, the player running through shadows should at least be reflected on his gun, and on SF you have NPCs casting shadows right next to sandbags that didn't. Maybe it's their production pipeline, the artists simply make the level and the designers just put the pieces in but the pieces aren't really capable of casting and receiving shadows, and they don't recalculate the lighting after that so things stick out. It's not like the engine runs at 60fps like in Ratchet, there's really no excuse when MAG which can support 256 players and most things in MAG do cast and receive shadows properly.
Yeah i thought the same, recalculating the lightmaps cant take up to a day!
Its all about time i think. Please give R3 some more cooking time!

MrPliskin

Banned
sankt-Antonio said:
1) and you run and jump around like a berserker, right? for hours on end...

they tryed to simulate this feeling of whereing this stuff, now compare it to call of duty, ...see its a little bit more like it is in real life...now isnt it

2) no shit... it wouldnt be funny to see only 1 out of 500 bullets hitting someone, maybe... reality=/=game

No, but I can tell you that you do stay on foot for hours / miles at a time, walking, jogging, occasionally sprinting. I can tell you that, for the "gear" they are wearing in KZ2 (virtually none) there is no reason for the game to be as slow as it is. Nothing about it is "realistic".

I'm only commenting on "realism" because someone wanted to bring it into the conversation when talking about two franchises that are deeply routed in fantasy, and one that has certain aspects of realism, but is still a 'game'.

Call of Duty, for better or for worse, is the closest to accurately depicting the real movement of a Soldier wearing a full load. The aiming speed feels right and the forward movement feels right. None of these games, however, provide any sort of "realism", and proclaiming that one is better than the other becuase it's "more realistic" is stupid. Especially when "realism" is only what you THINK it is, not what you've actually experienced.

Nothing better than couch Soldiers talking about "realism".

Edit: Fersis - I'm not asking for realism. I love fun. It's Kittonwy who is bagging on R2 and then talking about "realistic shooters" etc. Not me.

theplayer

Banned
found a job listing from Insomniac Games which reveals that the Ratchet & Clank and Resistance developers are working on their next title, and as expected, it's a PlayStation 3 exclusive.

The job listing is for an FX Artist, and states that "Insomniac Games is looking for an artist to create effects to work and assist in gameplay, environment, and the cinematics of the game."

The developers latest title, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time was only released in November last year, so it's unlikely to be the next instalment of the R&C series. A few months ago though, a picture of a billboard with the logo of Resistance 3 sprung up on the internet (top of page), so we expect this is the next title in the FPS series.

what do u think gaf

theplayer said:
found a job listing from Insomniac Games which reveals that the Ratchet & Clank and Resistance developers are working on their next title, and as expected, it's a PlayStation 3 exclusive.

The job listing is for an FX Artist, and states that "Insomniac Games is looking for an artist to create effects to work and assist in gameplay, environment, and the cinematics of the game."

The developers latest title, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack In Time was only released in November last year, so it's unlikely to be the next instalment of the R&C series. A few months ago though, a picture of a billboard with the logo of Resistance 3 sprung up on the internet (top of page), so we expect this is the next title in the FPS series.

what do u think gaf

Why the hell did you bump this?

Top Bottom