Resistance 3: Back to Soviet union? Give me your wish list.

Y2Kev said:
I don't care about HDR lighting, lol. I just want detail instead of scale. You probably can't do both given budgets/time constraints/hardware constraints, and there are too many areas of R2 that are fugly for some dumb skybox that looks great but is totally outside of what I can interact with.
HDR lighting preserves the details, when things are dark you can still see the details, when things are bright you can still see the details.
 
John said:
R2's difficulty never felt artificial at all; rather, it gave me an enormous sense of accomplishment. I felt like I should be recording my playthrough half the time, my skills were so good (obviously they weren't that good). Really, FPSes are way too easy nowadays (Bioshock, Battlefield: BC, Prey, and games that do have death), and I thought Resistance 2 had the perfect difficulty level throughout.

And Kittonwy's talking out of his ass with the composer bit.
So you're telling me truth came out of my ass.
 
Shikashi said:
Gun weight should have an effect on your agility. It probably does in R1 and R2, but not noticeable enough.
Gun weight should not have an effect on your agility unless we're talking about something like a chaingun. The sprint should feel more like a sprint than a jog though, so there's a tangible difference between moving normally while being able to fire your weapon and sprinting while not being able to fire your weapon.
 
Kittonwy said:
So you're telling me truth came out of my ass.
The music in R2 was exactly what you want, no? Standard military-themed orchestral work.

Contrasted with R1, where they used David Bergeaud, Insomniac's Ratchet composer, whose style didn't work with the more serious game. I love Bergeaud to death, and I think he's one of the current century's overlooked masterminds, but he didn't work with a military shooter at all.
 
R1 rarely had any music, it was mostly silent game in comparison. Music was mostly for the cutscenes, story segments, and menus. R2 had a decent soundtrack if somewhat generic action movie fare.
 
John said:
The music in R2 was exactly what you want, no? Standard military-themed orchestral work.

Contrasted with R1, where they used David Bergeaud, Insomniac's Ratchet composer, whose style didn't work with the more serious game. I love Bergeaud to death, and I think he's one of the current century's overlooked masterminds, but he didn't work with a military shooter at all.
It's a war for the survival of humanity, it has to be epic but the soundtrack was not epic in any way whatsoever, I'm not saying they need to hire someone like Martin O'Donnell but they need an epic soundtrack.
 
Totobeni said:
I love RFOM and all , but no , just no , Killzone 2 is the FPS of PS3.

I know that is your own opinion , but hey , this is GAF :|
Hahaha not by a long shot. The only thing Killzone 2 has going for it are the graphics.

MP-wise it feels like a poor unbalanced atempted at Team Fortress 2. RFOM beats both KZ2 & R2 in the fun factor. I really wouldn't give GG that much credit, though I do believe that they can learn from this and instead of ripping off from a popular product they can expand/evolve the TF2 component and make much deeper and more involving.
 
I liked R2. Way less than R1? But still liked it.

TBH, I'm not sure Insomniac's engine works well for FPS. Framerate is super smooth and doesn't look like it's 30fps, the game shines in some departments, but overall it fells dated. It's much more adapted to R&C IMO.
But yeah, stop asking them to borrow an engine because it's not going to happen.

I'd be happy with a R1-like third episode, gameplay wise, with a big polish from R2's graphics. After that, stop R&C for a while (at least full retail releases) and make a big new IP, kthx.
 

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lince said:
forget about the SP campaign and competitive multiplayer, focus on the excellent COOP and build everything around it.
I always thought that an online only Resistance spin-off would be awesome.
 
R2 should have been an evolution of R1, not a complete change of pretty much everything that was in R1. It's as if they decided to switch around and change almost every aspect of the original when making the sequel. They had a decent enough game with the 1st, they just needed to improve on it. They pretty much just made a whole new style of game with 2 pretty much. Some good ideas, lot of bad ones, but they simply went overboard.

It's like if Halo 2 has changed things up way too much, people would have bitched. Ppl bitched about it being too much like Halo 1, but they had a winning formula and kept going with it. Really R2 should have followed a similar trend.
 
highluxury said:
Hahaha not by a long shot. The only thing Killzone 2 has going for it are the graphics.

MP-wise it feels like a poor unbalanced atempted at Team Fortress 2. RFOM beats both KZ2 & R2 in the fun factor. I really wouldn't give GG that much credit, though I do believe that they can learn from this and instead of ripping off from a popular product they can expand/evolve the TF2 component and make much deeper and more involving.
nah.. Killzone 2 made Killzone the fps for PS3. killzone 3 will be far more anticipated than the next resistance imo.
 
Just give back the weapon wheel. Fuck I loved that thing in R1. And this may be just me, but I liked being the isolation and being alone in R1 single player. Having all those randoms in R2 made me less attached. Oh and campaign co-op again, pleaseeee.
 
Resistance 3 needs to be a re-boot of the Resistance franchise. As of now the universe has gotten too dark, boring, and generic. Here is my vision of Resistance 3 if I were Ted Price.

One way to reboot the franchise is too set the timeline 10 years after Resistance 2. The remnants of humanity should be turned into an established and united Resistance Force akin to TechCom in the Terminator universe. Main base of operation are New Zealand and Australia, as those are the only spots mostly free of Chimeran influence. Bases in Japan, North America, South America, Europe, Africa provide regional resistance against the Chimera.

The Resistance Army should be stabilized enough to attempt to mount an liberation of Asia and eventually Russia. The storyline could be about a normal soldier as part of the liberation force in Asia and as Capeli fighting with Japanese Resistance (Ninjas!) Forces in Japan. The Asian setting could be a refreshing break from the boring vistas of Europe. We have already done Europe and North America.

The Resistance can consist of the Australian Expeditionary Force, the Japanese Self Defense Force, vestiges of Ninja Clans, Chinese Militia, and American Black-Ops Remnants.

Gameplay changes:
All guns headshots ala COD. This makes for faster gameplay and allows the game to throw overwhelming numbers of Chimera at the player.

Ability to carry only 4 weapons, which is the best of both worlds. You have to choose your arsenal and at the same time be not limited by a small one.

Human Vehicles:
Battleship: Part of the Asian D-day
Large Landing Ship / Carrier (In this universe dedicated carriers never took off.)
Destroyer
Gunboat
Heavy Tank (Ridable)
Infantry Fighting Suit (Ridable Exoskeleton)
Infantry Fighting Vehicle (Akin the Passenger Hog in Halo 3)
Japanese IFS (Mech-like Exoskeleton that fires missile swarms)
All Terrain Strike Vehicle (Ridable Australian Desert Buggy comes with Gatling gun, rock launcher or mounted Cannon)
Assault Zepplin (1000 foot + zepplins that carries Harriers, hawks, troops, tanks, etc across Asia for invasion of Russia. Carries a nuke cannon to shoot down Chimeran Battleships)
AC-130 like gunship
Jet Bomber
Hawk Transport and Variants
Harrier Equivalent (Ridable)

Human Weapons:
All secondary fire have infinite ammo or uses primary ammo. This is so that even empty weapons in the arsenal can be part of your strategy.
Primary fire / Secondary Fire
Assault Weapon / stunner
Battle Rifle / (Illusion Creater)
Shotgun / Smoke Bang (or some sort of distance closer)
Sniper Rifle / Slow Motion (sp) Target Acquirer (mp)
Rocket Launcher / Rocket Redirect
Minigun / Shield
Flamethrower / Firebomb shot (Chinese)
Dual Magnums
Automated Turret Launcher / Kamakaze Mode
Ninja Star thrower / Spinning mode (Japanese)
Grenade Launcher / Cluster Bomb mode
Energy Plasma Weapon / Overload Beam (Japanese)
Dual Silenced SMG
Medic Gun (life suck) / Healing Blast
Gravity Gun
Frag Grenade 4
Fuel Air Grenade 2
Mine 2
Special Items Drop (SP, Co-op only)

Chimeran Infantry:
Crawlers
Big Leapers
Giant Leapers
Tank Melee
Zombies
Agile Infantry
Standard Infantry
Elite Infantry
Heavy Infantry
Giant Infantry
Special Infantry
Heavy Special
Titan Rocket Type
Titan Gunner Type
Flying Small Type
Flying Heavy Type
Flying Swarm Type
Flying Mage

Chimeran Bosses
Godzilla like boss in Tokyo
Large Spider boss
Hale
Many More

Chimeran Vehicles
Boardable Goliath (boss)
Flying Battleship
Flying Cruiser
Flying Destroyer
Gunship (boss)
Dropship
Fighter Bomber (Ridable)
Gyroship (Ridable)
Maurauder (boss)
AT Walker (Ridable)

Chimeran Weapons
Bullseye / tagger
Drill gun / shield
Energy Launcher / tagger
Dual SMGs
Lightning Gun / Overcharge Stationary AOE Ball
One more gun / Secondary
Hedgehog 4
Poison Grenade 2

Cloven Infantry
Standary Infantry
Heavy Infantry
Heavy PSIer
Heavy Mage
Fast Melee
Heavy Melee

Cloven Vehicles
Domesticated Howler
Domesticated Flyer
Domesticated Maurader

Cloven Weapons
Crossbow/Explode Arrow
Railgun / Thermo
Pollen Gun
Pollen Grenade 4

Multiplayer:
Modes:
4 Player Split screen / Lan co-op (No Online co-op since I doubt Insomniac can pull that off)
16 Player Horde
32 MP Multiplayer

Berserks (now Called Power Ups)
Healing Radius (not in campaign)
Super Special Items (co-op only)
Invisibility
Double Damage (not in campaign)
Super Strength/Speed
Invicibility (not in multiplayer)
Reduce damage intake
Ammo/ Health Restock (not in campaign)
Recon Plane (multiplayer only)
Gunship Support
Saturation Bombing
Controllable Giant Gunship support
Tactical Nuke / Plasma Bomb(Chimera)
Many More

and finally...

LIGHTING LIGHTING LIGHTING!!!

I played through most of Resistance 2 with the flashlight on, even in daylight, due to the poor contrast and the lack of HDR. The game is an eye-sore literally. Uncharted 2 should be the bar here.
 
Damn, I sort of just wrote and wrote. I've been thinking about the perfect sequel for a long time and I've even done some concept art drawings for some of the new vehicles / weapons.
 
Proelite said:
Resistance 3 needs to be a re-boot of the Resistance franchise. As of now the universe has gotten too dark, boring, and generic. Here is my vision of Resistance 3 if I were Ted Price.

One way to reboot the franchise is too set the timeline 10 years after Resistance 2. The remnants of humanity should be turned into an established and united Resistance Force akin to TechCom in the Terminator universe. Main base of operation are New Zealand and Australia, as those are the only spots mostly free of Chimeran influence. Bases in Japan, North America, South America, Europe, Africa provide regional resistance against the Chimera.

The Resistance Army should be stabilized enough to attempt to mount an liberation of Asia and eventually Russia. The storyline could be about a normal soldier as part of the liberation force in Asia and as Capeli fighting with Japanese Resistance (Ninjas!) Forces in Japan. The Asian setting could be a refreshing break from the boring vistas of Europe. We have already done Europe and North America.

The Resistance can consist of the Australian Expeditionary Force, the Japanese Self Defense Force, vestiges of Ninja Clans, Chinese Militia, and American Black-Ops Remnants.

Gameplay changes:
All guns headshots ala COD. This makes for faster gameplay and allows the game to throw overwhelming numbers of Chimera at the player.

Ability to carry only 4 weapons, which is the best of both worlds. You have to choose your arsenal and at the same time be not limited by a small one.

Human Vehicles:
Battleship: Part of the Asian D-day
Large Landing Ship / Carrier (In this universe dedicated carriers never took off.)
Destroyer
Gunboat
Heavy Tank (Ridable)
Infantry Fighting Suit (Ridable Exoskeleton)
Infantry Fighting Vehicle (Akin the Passenger Hod in Halo 3)
Japanese IFS (Mech-like Exoskeleton that fires missile swarms)
All Terrain Strike Vehicle (Ridable Australian Desert Buggy comes with Gatling gun, rock launcher or mounted Cannon)
Assault Zepplin (1000 foot + zepplins that carries Harriers, hawks, troops, tanks, etc across Asia for invasion of Russia. Carries a nuke cannon to shoot down Chimeran Battleships)
AC-130 like gunship
Jet Bomber
Hawk Transport and Variants
Harrier Equivalent (Ridable)

Human Weapons:
All secondary fire have infinite ammo or uses primary ammo. This is so that even empty weapons in the arsenal can be part of your strategy.
Primary fire / Secondary Fire
Assault Weapon / stunner
Battle Rifle / (Illusion Creater)
Shotgun / Smoke Bang (or some sort of distance closer)
Sniper Rifle / Slow Motion (sp) Target Acquirer (mp)
Rocket Launcher / Rocket Redirect
Minigun / Shield
Flamethrower / Firebomb shot (Chinese)
Dual Magnums
Automated Turret Launcher / Kamakaze Mode
Ninja Star thrower / Spinning mode (Japanese)
Grenade Launcher / Cluster Bomb mode
Energy Plasma Weapon / Overload Beam (Japanese)
Dual Silenced SMG
Medic Gun (life suck) / Healing Blast
Gravity Gun
Frag Grenade 4
Fuel Air Grenade 2
Mine 2
Special Items Drop (SP, Co-op only)

Chimeran Infantry:
Crawlers
Big Leapers
Giant Leapers
Tank Melee
Zombies
Agile Infantry
Standard Infantry
Elite Infantry
Heavy Infantry
Giant Infantry
Special Infantry
Heavy Special
Titan Rocket Type
Titan Gunner Type
Flying Small Type
Flying Heavy Type
Flying Swarm Type
Flying Mage

Chimeran Bosses
Godzilla like boss in Tokyo
Large Spider boss
Hale
Many More

Chimeran Vehicles
Boardable Goliath (boss)
Flying Battleship
Flying Cruiser
Flying Destroyer
Gunship (boss)
Dropship
Fighter Bomber (Ridable)
Gyroship (Ridable)
Maurauder (boss)
AT Walker (Ridable)

Chimeran Weapons
Bullseye / tagger
Drill gun / shield
Energy Launcher / tagger
Dual SMGs
Lightning Gun / Overcharge Stationary AOE Ball
One more gun / Secondary
Hedgehog 4
Poison Grenade 2

Cloven Infantry
Standary Infantry
Heavy Infantry
Heavy PSIer
Heavy Mage
Fast Melee
Heavy Melee

Cloven Vehicles
Domesticated Howler
Domesticated Flyer
Domesticated Maurader

Cloven Weapons
Crossbow/Explode Arrow
Railgun / Thermo
Pollen Gun
Pollen Grenade 4

Multiplayer:
Modes:
4 Player Split screen / Lan co-op (No Online co-op since I doubt Insomniac can pull that off)
16 Player Horde
32 MP Multiplayer

Berserks (now Called Power Ups)
Healing Radius (not in campaign)
Super Special Items (co-op only)
Invisibility
Double Damage (not in campaign)
Super Strength/Speed
Invicibility (not in multiplayer)
Reduce damage intake
Ammo/ Health Restock (not in campaign)
Recon Plane (multiplayer only)
Gunship Support
Saturation Bombing
Controllable Giant Gunship support
Tactical Nuke / Plasma Bomb(Chimera)
Many More

and finally...

LIGHTING LIGHTING LIGHTING!!!

I played through most of Resistance 2 with the flashlight on, even in daylight, due to the poor contrast and the lack of HDR. The game is an eye-sore literally. Uncharted 2 should be the bar here.
Too many nationalities, too many vehicle types and too many weapons, I mean holy smoke. I agree on the lighting though. HDR + self-shadowing should be teh priority.
 

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think that R2 haz HDRZ :)
EDIT: mhmhm HDR can be applied to materials ? Or its a 'fullscreen' light model?
 
Kittonwy said:
Too many nationalities, too many vehicle types and too many weapons, I mean holy smoke. I agree on the lighting though. HDR + self-shadowing should be teh priority.
The number of nationalities primarily results form the plot device of the liberation of Asia. In addition, it adds to the sense of a global conflict and of a richer universe. When making game, movie, or novel, richer is always better, especially when it's a sequel.

The vehicle types is not much more than that of the previous Resistances. Most of the vehicles such as battleship and zeppelin are cut scene /doodads only objects. The ridable vehicle set is certainly not more numerous than Halo 3's. The weapon count is inline with the previous Resistance series + Cloven weapons. The inclusion of grenades might make the count seem larger.
 

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Square Triangle said:
This. It was the biggest thing I missed heading into R2.
Yeah. I actually enjoyed R2 a lot, but the lack of a weapon wheel really took a lot away from the game. The best part of R1 was the tactical combat that came from the ability to choose whatever weapon you wanted. They took that out of R2 and replaced it with a more cinematic and conventional experience, but what was gained from that wasn't enough to make up for the lack of tactical gameplay.

The multiplayer was fantastic though. One of the few console FPS games I truly enjoyed playing online. I think all the aiming assists made aiming with the controller tolerable enough for me not to be annoyed by it. :lol

For some reason I was a lot better at Killzone 2's multiplayer anyways (I mean, I'm not terrible with a controller), but I always enjoyed R2's more.
 
Don't make it ANYTHING like Resistance 2; instead it should be more like R:FoM. If they do this, IG will be golden.

If I even get a hint of the shit bomb that is Resistance 2 in Resistance 3, I will avoid it like the plague.

R:FoM is still my #1 game on the PS3. But, come Oct. 13, it will be replaced by.....UNCHARTED 2!!!!!!!!!!
 
I saw this billboard today in Shreveport, Louisiana. There are a lot of movies filmed here, and this one is about some sort of alien takeover of Los Angeles; the name of the film escapes me at the moment. Snapped off a few photos of the billboard since I wasn't sure if the game had been announced yet or not. If not, then I'm surprised Insomniac would be announcing it here of all places.



 
goldsoundz said:
I saw this billboard today in Shreveport, Louisiana. There are a lot of movies filmed here, and this one is about some sort of alien takeover of Los Angeles; the name of the film escapes me at the moment. Snapped off a few photos of the billboard since I wasn't sure if the game had been announced yet or not. If not, then I'm surprised Insomniac would be announcing it here of all places.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9139/img0063sg.jpg[img]

[img]http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1879/img0064no.jpg/img][/QUOTE]

WTF??? WHAT THE FLIP??? That's not real is it? Why the blackout in one of the pic?
Oh and looks like it starts off from where R2 left i.e. New York.
 
shagg_187 said:
WTF??? WHAT THE FLIP??? That's not real is it? Why the blackout in one of the pic?
Rearview mirror. I'll re-upload without the blackout if you'd like, and yes, it's real.

EDIT: I uploaded the original picture without the blackout. This is all I've got, guys! It's real. The movie was being filmed on that street all week long, and the roads in that area have been reopened since.
 
goldsoundz said:
Rearview mirror. I'll re-upload without the blackout if you'd like, and yes, it's real.
Ahh. I believe you, I guess. This pretty much deserves it's own thread for I've never heard of any affirmation of Resistance 3 of any kind.

RockmanWhore said:
Why is there a black rectangle just bellow the Resistance 3 logo?
Thats usually where the release date is or website URL. Guess they don't want to reveal it anytime soon...

JSTEVENSON, U GOTZ SOME EXSPELINS TO DO!!
 
shagg_187 said:
Ahh. I believe you, I guess. This pretty much deserves it's own thread for I've never heard of any affirmation of Resistance 3 of any kind.



Thats usually where the release date is or website URL. Guess they don't want to reveal it anytime soon...

JSTEVENSON, U GOTZ SOME EXSPELINS TO DO!!
Yeah, I didn't do the blackout on the billboard. I feel like a big timer breaking news like this! I can't believe they chose Shreveport, Louisiana of all places to announce a game.
 
Sony dumping adverts in future movies already? Do like.

DigiMish said:
New York huh? That's cool. Statue of Liberty level confirmed! I would have called it "RESISTANC3".
No, no and no. Might as well throw RESiSTANCE 3 out there as another bad idea.
 
goldsoundz said:
I saw this billboard today in Shreveport, Louisiana. There are a lot of movies filmed here, and this one is about some sort of alien takeover of Los Angeles; the name of the film escapes me at the moment. Snapped off a few photos of the billboard since I wasn't sure if the game had been announced yet or not. If not, then I'm surprised Insomniac would be announcing it here of all places.



wat