• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the campaign.

I
Love
This
Game.

Just great.

Cornbread78

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I have to say that after playing Battlefield 3's campaign yesterday it made me appreciate R3 and Deus Ex's campaigns even more.

It's not even close, I started playing BF3's SP and really want to pull my hair out with the cheap death and horrid gun play. not impressed and they completely miss the mark with teh fun factor that R3 supplies. I wish my Fat boy PS3 didn't brick, so I could do my superHuman run, now I have to play it through twice all over again, just to upgrade all the guns and find all the intel all over again.... WTf.

Massa

By the way, for the new page: if you finished Resistance 3 I highly recommend the spoiler cast done by IGN with the CD on the game. Marcus Smith.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1195845p1.html

BruceLeeRoy said:
You guys liked that part? Let me just state that I thought the idea was brilliant but the execution left a lot to be desired.
The ai was abysmal through that whole section and losing all your weapons again bleh...Plus I hate that stupid hammer and on top of all that its just a ugly looking level.

And now you just reminded that's the level where you get
the Mutator, which is one of my favorite weapons in the game.
Yep, I definitely loved that level.

If there's one thing I hated about it
is that minutes after Malikov dies you meet another dude that fulfils the exact same role in the story. I thought that was terrible and something the game could have easily done without. Capelli should have figured that shit out by himself.

BruiserBear said:
Yeah, my only story complaints were that I really didn't expect
such a perfect happy ending
. But even with that, I thought it was handled well.

Yeah, I think the
ending would have been perfect if Capelli died. It's a shame they couldn't possibly do that after R2.

Massa

Neuromancer said:
This is the only PS3 game that has me hunting down trophies. Need to unlock that unlimited ammo cheat but I'm still 100+ credits away. =/

That reminds me I wasted points on those full moon show videos I already had on my PC thinking it was going to be new stuff.

Oh well, at least I got to watch Ted Price in HD.

vDaedalus

So, I've gone remnant about 3 times now and every time I have the option to do it again. All I want is my leach costume back! :mad:

What loadouts have you guys gravitated to? Going through and getting the competitive medals highlights some interesting combinations.

patsu

vDaedalus said:
So, I've gone remnant about 3 times now and every time I have the option to do it again. All I want is my leach costume back! :mad:

What loadouts have you guys gravitated to? Going through and getting the competitive medals highlights some interesting combinations.

My main one:
BullsEyes + Turret + Grenadier + 3 grenades (Frag + EMP + HedgeHog) !

BruiserBear said:
You should probably just play the game the way it was meant to be payed. With a controller. No problems there.
I played the whole game with the Move and had a great time. Different stokes for different folks. My only complaint is since jump is X, you cant easily move and jump at the same time. Not a deal breaker for me though, there so little platforming to do in this game.

Cornbread78

vDaedalus said:

Bullseye
Ammo Beacon/Turrent
Body Armor/ (I change the last one alot.)

patsu

Other than a few scripting bugs, the SP feels more polished than RFOM and R2 for me. The first few chapters builds out the world more deeply than its predecessors.

Ricky_R

Ok guys... I remembered now that I didn't redeem my R3's online pass and I don't plan to do so. So if anybody here is desperately interested in one, let me know.

If there's more than one person, I will have to do a raffle or a guess game.

MrPliskin

Banned
patsu said:
Other than a few scripting bugs, the SP feels more polished than RFOM and R2 for me. The first few chapters builds out the world more deeply than its predecessors.
The biggest impact the first few chapters have is that you actually know what's going on in the world.

In FoM, you're just dropped into a war and you gradually kind of "figure it out" but you never really feel like you know what the rest of London is going through (since all you EVER see are Chimera and Soldiers). Same in R2, you're pretty much dumped into warzones, no survivors, and the only thing connecting you to the notion that people existed here is dead bodies and Henry Stillman.

R3 goes to pretty good lengths to FINALLY show some humanity on the planet outside of Soldiers and Chimera, and the end result is pretty freakin fabulous.

Melchiah

Insomniac should really check whether their servers are up to the task before they release an online game. I've tried to play Global Resistance, but it's been pretty much impossible recently, as everything you try to do is met with a shorter or a longer pause. At times it doesn't respond at all, and when you try reloading the page it won't reload. It's absolutely infuriating, and a reason enough for me to call it quits.

Volcynika

I'm considering getting this from Target's B2G1, but I've only barely played the first game years ago. Should I be ok as far as plot and etc?

Massa

Volcynika said:
I'm considering getting this from Target's B2G1, but I've only barely played the first game years ago. Should I be ok as far as plot and etc?

Yes. It's a self contained story.

MrPliskin

Banned
Darkatomz said:
That's... a lot of changes.

But too little too late? I mean, with UC3, MW3, BF3...
I don't think this patch is meant to make it sell more copies. It's fore current owners so they can have a better experience. :)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ricky_R said:
Ok guys... I remembered now that I didn't redeem my R3's online pass and I don't plan to do so. So if anybody here is desperately interested in one, let me know.

If there's more than one person, I will have to do a raffle or a guess game.

I'm interested if you still have it.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thrakier said:
Epic fail. -.- Maybe they made the crosshair even bigger and pink.

I dunno, you've been pretty much the only person I've seen asking for them to change the perspective, or even making a big deal out of it (hell, maybe even noticing?). Then again, you've never had anything positive to say about the game.

Neuromancer said:
I hope the misc. fixes to the campaign are scripting related.

There are a good number of SP fixes, which I'm sure include scripting bugs. They also have some performance tweaks there too, so we'll hopefully see that beef up the frame rate in some of the more hectic SP scenes.

Volcynika said:

As Massa said, you should be fine. The game does a good job of wrapping up the "key points". There are only two characters you'd be familiar with from the last title, and even then you'll still be fine.

Volcynika said:
Yeah it's the only Resistance game I've played, and I loved it. There's a nice recap at the beginning.

Thrakier

MrPliskin said:
I dunno, you've been pretty much the only person I've seen asking for them to change the perspective, or even making a big deal out of it (hell, maybe even noticing?). Then again, you've never had anything positive to say about the game.
]

So...that makes it less legit? Also, the complaints about that huge ass yellow croshair were plenty. And TTP as well pointed out in his review that move controls are just ok and that there are better solutions for the perspective. How one can not notice that 50% of the weapon model is missing is beyond me.

I said the positive things I could say without playing it.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thrakier said:
So...that makes it less legit? Also, the complaints about that huge ass yellow croshair were plenty. And TTP as well pointed out in his review that move controls are just ok and that there are better solutions for the perspective. How one can not notice that 50% of the weapon model is missing is beyond me.

I said the positive things I could say without playing it.

I don't know about less legit, but maybe less believable? It's hard to swallow your criticisms when you didn't give the game a fair shot in a lot of areas. You've completely written off any benefit to the lower resolution (which pays off in quite a few ways) and just said "gfx are bad". The lighting has been proven to be far superior to the last two titles, yet you also ignore those improvements.

It's just hard to take a lot of your criticisms seriously when you ignore any improvement and are pretty much only vocal about the negative things. That's all. I feel like anyone who has such vested interest in how pretty a game looks really wouldn't be able to appreciate it anyway, as I've stated, tech junkies just don't get "games" (that's the opinion I will forever hold).

If the whiz bang is what you're looking for here, then Move controls or a new cross hair (or even changing the perspective on the weapon) isn't going to change your mind. You made it up long, long ago.

patsu

Darkatomz said:
That's... a lot of changes.

But too little too late? I mean, with UC3, MW3, BF3...

Not too late for me. R3 plays differently. I still play it every other day.

I will probably play UC3 co-op, and occasionally BF3 with pwonager and folks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
"Improved the Move’s aim mechanic"

Whay did they change? The perspective? I hope so!

They should have fixed the crosshair position mismatch when zooming in with scopes.

This issue here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RUU0T1L8dk (look at the white on-screen cursor, not the scope reticule - notice how you end up aiming at a different spot when zooming in despite not moving the cursor)

MrPliskin

Banned
TTP said:
They should have fixed the crosshair position mismatch when zooming in with scopes.

This issue here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RUU0T1L8dk (look at the white on-screen cursor, not the scope reticule - notice how you end up aiming at a different spot when zooming in despite not moving the cursor)

Well we don't know what fixes were made for move, so this very well could be one of them. I just doubt that weapon position / FOV was a part of the tweaks.

Effect

Traded in the game today at Best Buy. I enjoyed the single player a lot but really saw no reason to keep it around seeing as how the multiplayer was simply not fun at all. Got about half the price I paid for it so seemed fair in the end. I wish it never even came to this point though. If there is a Resistance 4 I'll be waiting until the price drops significantly. To soured on Resistance multiplayer to even take another chance at the moment.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrPliskin said:
Well we don't know what fixes were made for move, so this very well could be one of them. I just doubt that weapon position / FOV was a part of the tweaks.

Of course it's not. They wouldn't call it "Move’s aim mechanic" otherwise. ;)

Quick question for those who use Move:

Almost every time I start up my PS3 to play R3, I have to reassign my Move navigation controller so it works for this game. Any idea why that happens and how I can avoid it? It's really irritating. Thanks.

MrPliskin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Quick question for those who use Move:

Almost every time I start up my PS3 to play R3, I have to reassign my Move navigation controller so it works for this game. Any idea why that happens and how I can avoid it? It's really irritating. Thanks.

This happens to me on a lot of games, which is strange. Maybe it has something to do with the order you turn them on? Do you turn the system on with a DS3? Or move? I know mine does this if I turn it on with a DS3, then try to use the nav/move combo later. It's pretty annoying, indeed.

MrPliskin said:
This happens to me on a lot of games, which is strange. Maybe it has something to do with the order you turn them on? Do you turn the system on with a DS3? Or move? I know mine does this if I turn it on with a DS3, then try to use the nav/move combo later. It's pretty annoying, indeed.
You may be right about the order I power up the controllers. I think I usually do the Move wand first, then the nav controller. Maybe I'll try switching the order next time.

I always use my Logitech remote to power up the console so that shouldn't be an issue.

MrPliskin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
You may be right about the order I power up the controllers. I think I usually do the Move wand first, then the nav controller. Maybe I'll try switching the order next time.

I always use my Logitech remote to power up the console so that shouldn't be an issue.

Ah! Are you using a harmony remote? BT adapter? I'm not sure, but I wonder if that takes up a "slot" for a controller? It'd definitely be worth looking into if that's your set up. Otherwise maybe just try out the order. I'm sure we can figure it out, lol.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Neuromancer said:

That's your problem actually. Try starting it with the Move or Navi PS button.

MrPliskin said:
Ah! Are you using a harmony remote? BT adapter? I'm not sure, but I wonder if that takes up a "slot" for a controller? It'd definitely be worth looking into if that's your set up. Otherwise maybe just try out the order. I'm sure we can figure it out, lol.
TTP said:
That's your problem actually. Try starting it with the Move or Navi PS button.
Yes it's a Harmony remote with an adapter... That could very well be the issue, I'll try tonight using just the Move to start up and see if that fixes it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
After finishing the BF3 campaign.. man R3 SP is friggin' sweet.
This gen ive played: R1,R2,COD4,BFBC2,BF3 and R3 had the most enjoyable SP (For me of course)

Thrakier

MrPliskin said:
I don't know about less legit, but maybe less believable? It's hard to swallow your criticisms when you didn't give the game a fair shot in a lot of areas. You've completely written off any benefit to the lower resolution (which pays off in quite a few ways) and just said "gfx are bad". The lighting has been proven to be far superior to the last two titles, yet you also ignore those improvements.

It's just hard to take a lot of your criticisms seriously when you ignore any improvement and are pretty much only vocal about the negative things. That's all. I feel like anyone who has such vested interest in how pretty a game looks really wouldn't be able to appreciate it anyway, as I've stated, tech junkies just don't get "games" (that's the opinion I will forever hold).

If the whiz bang is what you're looking for here, then Move controls or a new cross hair (or even changing the perspective on the weapon) isn't going to change your mind. You made it up long, long ago.

That's a pretty arrogant statement. ;) First of all, if you ignore the positve remarks I posted regarding R3, then that's not my fault. To say I didn't give it a fair shot is a bit much - what would've been a fair shot? Buying it day 1 despite all those things which disapointed me? That would've been stupid and not fair.

It's not like I didn't play it, I played hours of the beta (and sometimes I had quite some fun with it). I also played through the demo several times to check if I can oversee the move decisions they made (I can't).

I even defended R2 back then and played through it several times. I still think that R3 is probably a good entry and maybe even the best. So that means that I'll play it and buy it anyway. I'm also sure I'll enjoy it. But still I can say that I just think that some of the decisions they made are just bad and wrong. And that I expected much more regarding the GFX. to be fair, I have pretty high standards.

MrPliskin

Banned
Thrakier said:
That's a pretty arrogant statement. ;) First of all, if you ignore the positve remarks I posted regarding R3, then that's not my fault. To say I didn't give it a fair shot is a bit much - what would've been a fair shot? Buying it day 1 despite all those things which disapointed me? That would've been stupid and not fair.

It's not like I didn't play it, I played hours of the beta (and sometimes I had quite some fun with it). I also played through the demo several times to check if I can oversee the move decisions they made (I can't).

I even defended R2 back then and played through it several times. I still think that R3 is probably a good entry and maybe even the best. So that means that I'll play it and buy it anyway. I'm also sure I'll enjoy it. But still I can say that I just think that some of the decisions they made are just bad and wrong. And that I expected much more regarding the GFX. to be fair, I have pretty high standards.

So then you disagree that your strong emphasis on looks and presentation over core game play is not giving it a fair shot? I think it's important to be able to enjoy a game for being a game first and foremost, and let developers respond to that. When we beg for pretty games, we end up with things like BF3, Crysis 2, etc.

I'd much rather the experience be fun and refreshing than stale and pretty. I think your inability to simply get over the low resolution (while ignoring the benefits gained from that) is kind of ridiculous, and definitely, to me, says you're unwilling to give the game a fair shot.

Like I said, you're a tech head, you want something to impress you technically more than you want something that is fun and enjoyable, and I think your last post pretty much reinforces that.

To sum it up, you just said "the game is fun, but not pretty enough for me".

That said, I don't wish to continue this conversation. You obviously have your head in the clouds if you expect every game to be "OMG UNCHARTED KZ3 WOWWWWW". You made up your mind LONG LONG ago about Resistance 3, and it's absolutely never going to change. I don't see any benefit to continuing a discussion with you about how ugly it is, or how unfortunate the Move FOV is, considering neither will make you buy the game or appreciate it for what it is.

MrPliskin

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Finally got the unlimited ammo cheat last night.

I will be UNSTOPPABLE

Good, now enable all of these cheats:

Unlimited Ammo
All Weapons
Super Human
Secondary Fire
Super Weapons
Immersive Mode

Enjoy! :mad:

Top Bottom