• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 - VGA Trailer Discussion - September 6th, 2011

Mush

jstevenson said:
soon... we are polishing polishing polishing. actually, we're all about to go on holiday break, but we will be polishing polishing polishing once 2011 rolls around. :)
I'd love to see that boat-standoff scene in full. Would be a nice treat to come back to after the holidays. Anyway, hope you guys (and the dudes in NC) have a nice break.

BeeDog

The trailer itself wasn't too good (bad composition, and the filmed parts were meh), but the ingame stuff is much better than I expected. The motion blur is fantastic, and they finally have a dynamic lighting system that makes it look good. And the gore effects are awesome!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Mush said:
I'd love to see that boat-standoff scene in full. Would be a nice treat to come back to after the holidays. Anyway, hope you guys (and the dudes in NC) have a nice break.

i'm hoping to have a behind the scenes of the boat video done for release during the holidays... I think we're helping do some stuff for the PS blog and I have that penciled in along with a new audio edition of the full moon show.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Afrikan said:
just curious, what didn't you like about the gameplay in Resistance 1?
It felt bland, and just as a whole uninspired. Something about the effectiveness of the guns and possibly the hit detection as well turned me off. And from the portion of multiplayer I played, the multiplayer map design was pretty god damn horrid too. Not trying to troll, since I know people love Resistance but it gives off a huge "just another FPS" vibe.

/wants to believe, but can't. Story had a great concept though.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
really like the animation here. Awesome trailer. Insomniac is really bringing it this time with 3 years of dev work.

Ashes

Banned
Never mind.... you just answered my question:

jstevenson said:
i'm hoping to have a behind the scenes of the boat video done for release during the holidays... I think we're helping do some stuff for the PS blog and I have that penciled in along with a new audio edition of the full moon show.

:lol

Yoboman

jstevenson said:
soon... we are polishing polishing polishing. actually, we're all about to go on holiday break, but we will be polishing polishing polishing once 2011 rolls around. :)
Are you content complete and just polishing till September?

The Chef

h3ro said:
Care to elaborate or is that all you have?

Sorry, should have elaborated.
I thought the trailer was just really poorly put together. The live action is just a bad choice. And I'm not sure I understand the direction Insomiac is heading with the feel and the music.
Watching the gameplay clips from the VGA awards I never was taken back by anything that I was seeing. The only thing that really surprised me was the incredible lack of draw distance in the game play shots and gray color palate. Of course, this is no doubt a level with dense fog but I was really disappointed to see most of it like that, especially seeing the colossus half cloaked in mist. Then ending with a Hammer of Thor of sorts left me with my conclusion that:
I really thought the trailer was bad and I hope that Insomiac can really deliver something epic here and not another R2.

Not meaning to bring down anyones high.

Kittonwy

Banned
This is what I had expected from R2.
Indifferent2.gif

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yoboman said:
Are you content complete and just polishing till September?

We'll get into this more on the Full Moon Show, I think... and we have to be careful about discussing exactly where we are in dev... but we totally have a lot of content done (2 years of dev so far) w/ a lot of polishing to go.

the game is playable start to finish on disc though, which is pretty insane for an Insomniac game w/ this much time left.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
jstevenson said:
We'll get into this more on the Full Moon Show, I think... and we have to be careful about discussing exactly where we are in dev... but we totally have a lot of content done (2 years of dev so far) w/ a lot of polishing to go.

the game is playable start to finish on disc though, which is pretty insane for an Insomniac game w/ this much time left.
That really feels good to hear man. Polish polish polish that baby till you're almost blinded by the shiny.
I think you guys should take your sweet ass time and I'm glad you did with R3. The longer dev cycle for this game definitely seemed to have paid off so far. Not that big of a multiplayer guy, but still interested to see what you guys have in store. Best of luck, have a great holiday, and polish that baby till release date.

Ja Rasta.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Unbelieavable. Never expected it to look this good! The gun animations and the animations in general are just incredible. This is what I was hoping R2 would do to R1, but the massive step here should make up for it.

BeeDog

Just downloaded the WMV file, and was surprised at the amount of shimmering edges and aliasing. Really looked like a ~500p game. :(

jstevenson, could you please clarify this matter and put my worries to rest? :p

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
When can we expect a new 'Full Moon' show?

Surely we can expect a regular show now giving us little updates with guests from the team etc talking about the project?

Mush

BeeDog said:
Just downloaded the WMV file, and was surprised at the amount of shimmering edges and aliasing. Really looked like a ~500p game. :(

GT's player is rubbish? :p

Hydrargyrus

BeeDog said:

That's what I was asking for the AA...

Boss Man

Can't really tell too much yet, but I am glad that they found a middle ground in the color palette. Resistance 2 was way on the cartoony look, this looks (and therefore will feel a bit) more like Resistance: Fall of Man. As far as the way the game looks, they nailed it this time.

It's the gameplay mechanics that I'm cautious about though, and not much about that was revealed. Resistance: Fall of Man was a run & gun (yet precise) shooter while Resistance 2 felt more like a numb COD4. They turned it into a scope-focused shooter, which is problematic in the first place simply because of the way the game is designed, but on top of that the scopes just functioned like a quick zoom that felt like something from a flash game. The zoom-in of the Auger (which is a unique weapon, so who knows) in the trailer looks a little worrisome on that front, but since they confirmed the weapon wheel is back I will hold judgement until more is known.

jstevenson said:

Wow, that is exciting. Only good can come from having that much time to perfect something. At least we know it's going to be very polished.

Ashes

Banned
jstevenson said:
TBD. Same goes for the inevitable "are you supporting move?" question

You know you're supporting it, if you can get it to work well enough, :p
Under promise/ over deliver, that's what I always say.

ps. Oh I just remembered. I distinctly remember you guys saying vehicles were out. How come, I'm seeing moving trains, cargo boats, small rowing boats in the trailer? Did you guys mean ones you control like a tank or something? or is that tbd?

edit: or am I not recalling correctly?

hsukardi

jstevenson said:

That's great news. Polishing like crazy would help, that's for sure. And when the utility to be gained from that has diminished greatly, pre-building DLC to keep the stream of content going after launch would also work.

It's unfortunate that Resistance 2 had to work out that way, but we sleep in the bed we make and fingers crossed R3 gives you guys a turn around the corner.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
TTP said:
No, he's right. That's the one thing that bothered me abut the video.

MLAA doesn't work well on light/surface edges. The same goes for Bad Company 2, even though it doesn't use MLAA.

But really people, does some aliasing really sour a good game for you? Buy PC for graphics whoring, it's pointless on consoles.

Boss Man

HYDE said:
Please JS this, I love R&C style upgrading.
Hell yes, I hope that's how they handle their multiplayer progression too.

Would have to be a little careful and make sure it fits in the story though. Finding tech upgrades ala black ops radio transmissions in FoM.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
subversus said:
MLAA doesn't work well on light/surface edges. The same goes for Bad Company 2, even though it doesn't use MLAA.

But really people, does some aliasing really sour a good game for you? Buy PC for graphics whoring, it's pointless on consoles.

Not sure why you even bring up Bad Company 2 since it doesn't have any sort of AA at all as far as I can tell.

And it's not pointless to graphic whoring on consoles. I have a much higher respect for console developers than PC ones as despite being limited to the hardware at hand, they can produce stuff as amazing as GOW3 or Uncharted 2 without asking us to buy some 500$ extra piece of equipment to get same if not even inferior results.

mr_nothin

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Someone said half life 2? I think silent hill 2 more than half life 2.
But the name of colour scheme/effect. God that word is eluding me at the moment.

Edit: it's all winter? I hope we get to see the player breathe out warm air from time to time, kind of like in Metal Gear Solid 1.
Cross Processing?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
TTP said:
Not sure why you even bring up Bad Company 2 since it doesn't have any sort of AA at all as far as I can tell.

Bad Company 2 on PC has AA support (up to 8X AA) but it still has this problem (light/edge of surfaces AA) even on 4x AA. I'm lazy to hunt for comparison screens but there are some. That means that it's pretty complicated to do this right. I heard that it's deffered shading problem.

and I don't know why your respect for devs relies on which platform they work on and not on the game they make but this type of purely techincal graphics whoring (aliasing, resolution, anysothropic filtering, texture filtration, vsync and so on) is pointless if you voluntarily chose consoles. I'm not talking about special effects, polygon count, post-effects and all this stuff. I'm talking about pure technical thing. Consoles this gen can't render image with 8XAA, 16 AF, triple buffering and in 1080. So if you want some technical bling you either deal with what you got on consoles since it's impossible to do it better or buy PC and stop having unrealistic expectations.

Cesar

Banned
There's no way that's actual ingame. Notice they twittered "realtime, in-engine" not "ingame". It's using ingame assets but touched up.

The blood splatter for example, I don't believe for a second that's how it will look when we play it. It's too perfect.

o7rek4.gif

I remember for the first trailer of R&C TOD they also touched up "ingame" material.

hxcmuziq

Banned
I had to watch very closely to determine what was GC and what was live action... InFuckingCredible... Now tell me along with original weapon selection... there are vehicle elements to break up the gunplay again... and I'll forgive you for COD:Resistance

Man said:
A plea to Insomniac - Above everything else:

- Keep the amount of animation frames demonstrated for the blood effects intact. KZ2/3 dropped the numbers for final release and it's very noticable. I can feel from this R3 demonstration that the shooting aspect is going to be thrilling due this aspect alone. It looks SO right! Superb job.
- MLAA.
- Focus hard on texture detail.
- With the three above in place then framerate above anything else. Super rock-solid locked 30fps, never ever wavering. If ash and aerial particles bog you down, cut it out!

I want this to be clean, lean and mean and a total pleasure to play.
i plea with yea
even in this small vid i noticed the jaggies

Yoboman

Cesar said:
There's no way that's actual ingame. Notice they twittered "realtime, in-engine" not "ingame". It's using ingame assets but touched up.

The blood splatter for example, I don't believe for a second that's how it will look when we play it. It's too perfect.

o7rek4.gif

I remember for the first trailer of R&C TOD they also touched up "ingame" material.
Why can't that be in-game?

I agree though, Insomniac doesn't have the best record when it comes to this sort of thing

Cesar said:

o7rek4.gif

That's what people said about GOW 3 when the gameplay was shown on that one Game Trailers show.

I think with the long dev cycle, Insomniac could have even better looking things up their sleeves.

Stoffinator

EatChildren said:
The bright environments give me a Half-Life 2 vibe. I like that.

That whole scene reminded me of Fallout 3's Point Lookout. When you arrive on the boat to the shore and its foggy and has that over cast sky.

jstevenson said:
so... uh... are we all like... good for the moment? it sounds like you all want to see more? :lol :lol

5 new screens coming either tomorrow or Monday (whenever Sony releases them)

I like what I see so far, JS.

The mood looks right. The visual style looks fantastic. Love the color palate. The fast pace of the fighting looks great, and brutal. You're pulling on my old RFOM heartstrings again. To me, it looks like Resistance...and that's a great thing.

Some of the physics effects (the ragdolls, the blood splats, and the jet packs going nuts) shown gave me that kind of "RFOM glass breaking" feeling of wonder again too.

The Auger is looking great. Thanks SOOOO much for showing it in gameplay in the trailer.

This was a feel-good moment for me, definitely. I was so skeptical, but know I'm really quite hopeful.

I know you'll keep us well updated. Can't wait to see more.

Still want to see more gunplay. Nice to see some fast-paced, "normal" (non-L1) shooting going on and looking good.

Other than that, and actually FEELING the gameplay in my own hands, I can't ask for more at this time.

I know you can't reveal anything specific about multiplayer yet, but is the interface coming along nicely? Is is quick and easy to use? How's the clan/party stuff coming along? Is it easy and fun to be in the lobby with your clan/party between games? Is there going to be text chat in the lobby as well as voice?

Stoffinator said:
That whole scene reminded me of Fallout 3's Point Lookout. When you arrive on the boat to the shore and its foggy and has that over cast sky.

Same. And I freaking love Point Lookout. :D

Great job here, Insomniac, I'm really satisfied with this trailer.

Top Bottom