• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 - VGA Trailer Discussion - September 6th, 2011

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
marathonfool said:
Should I bother with Resistance 2? Seems like everyone is down on it.

You most definitely should, it is a very good game, I think it just didn't carry on the atmosphere of the first one so people didn't like it as much. If you have a PSP you should also play Resistance Retribution, it is great.

jstevenson said:
MP is coming along... we showed screens of the African Prison MP map... we'll be showing it soon enough.

in terms of beta, all TBA at this point.

James, come now, we all know there's gonna be a playstation plus dem... Ahem I mean 'beta' for this.

marathonfool said:
This trailer actually made me consider getting into the Resistance series. Just one question, I hear you use R2 trigger to shoot. Can I change the layout to R1?

Both game features some pretty heavy control customisation options, and both are dirty cheap by now so yeah, get them.

acevans2

Any word on the next showing of R3?

It's nice that U3 is being shown on Monday, but R3 is the one I have more questions about after the VGA trailer.

marathonfool said:
This trailer actually made me consider getting into the Resistance series. Just one question, I hear you use R2 trigger to shoot. Can I change the layout to R1?

It has terrible flaws... Some very average parts... And just a few moments of brilliance.

For the most part it's outclassed in every way so only buy if you really want to experience the story... Which is equal parts hokey and neat

marathonfool said:

I personally feel R2 is awesome, but that's because I wasn't a big fan of R1 outside the weapon wheel.

Honestly, if someone was truly into R1, they probably will not like R2. I just couldn't get into R1 much but instantly fell in love with R2. It's just that these things turned people off, while they were a huge plus for me:
-Narrator and still artwork telling story were removed and replace with real time graphics (plus for me).

-The gradual piece health system was removed and replaced with the standard you will heal as you avoid fire for a bit (good for me since I hated searching for medical kits).

-Game was more linear instead of more open (I'm a fan of linear games).

-Controls now allow you to aim (big plus for me, I really liked it) like in CoD.

-Story mode co-op gone and replaced with an MMO style 8 player co-op (huge plus for me).

-Grainy looking graphics gone (good because I felt it made the first game look last gen in a way).

-Weapon wheel removed and replaced with two weapon system (I like it because I tend to only use two weapons anyway, and like having the right weapon put in front of me for certain situations).

Only thing I did not like about R2 was competitive, where I give R1 the advantage in that. I do feel R2 definitely had cooler bosses and more fun weapons. While GAF doesn't seem to like R2, the majority of people I know on my PSN buddy list prefers R2 in pretty much every way. A bunch who could not get into R1 got into R2. I just re-bought R2 today because I wish I never let it go.

Kittonwy

Banned
BoilersFan23 said:
I personally feel R2 is awesome, but that's because I wasn't a big fan of R1 outside the weapon wheel.

Honestly, if someone was truly into R1, they probably will not like R2. I just couldn't get into R1 much but instantly fell in love with R2. It's just that these things turned people off, while they were a huge plus for me:
-Narrator and still artwork telling story were removed and replace with real time graphics (plus for me).

-The gradual piece health system was removed and replaced with the standard you will heal as you avoid fire for a bit (good for me since I hated searching for medical kits).

-Game was more linear instead of more open (I'm a fan of linear games).

-Controls now allow you to aim (big plus for me, I really liked it) like in CoD.

-Story mode co-op gone and replaced with an MMO style 8 player co-op (huge plus for me).

-Grainy looking graphics gone (good because I felt it made the first game look last gen in a way).

-Weapon wheel removed and replaced with two weapon system (I like it because I tend to only use two weapons anyway, and like having the right weapon put in front of me for certain situations).

Only thing I did not like about R2 was competitive, where I give R1 the advantage in that. I do feel R2 definitely had cooler bosses and more fun weapons. While GAF doesn't seem to like R2, the majority of people I know on my PSN buddy list prefers R2 in pretty much every way. A bunch who could not get into R1 got into R2. I just re-bought R2 today because I wish I never let it go.

I disagree, R2 bosses were basically bullet sponges aside from the leviathan and the final boss both of which were pretty lame, in RFOM the stalker and widowmaker fights actually forced the player to try to outflank the bosses while taking cover. R1 also had better weapons, like the dragon, sapper, hailstorm and the laark, all of them had really fun secondary fire modes.

Not saying R3 will be a repudiation of R2 design philosophies but it seems to have more of that RFOM intimacy than R2's idea of "bigger is better" even though R2 gameplay-wise was very linear and restricted, and a lot of things were rendered on screen which the player never got to interact with.

Hydrargyrus

The things that should be clarified (at least for me) are:

- About the jaggies:
Type of AA (I hope that R3 will use some kind of AA)
Real resolution

- About online... everything :lol

- 3D and Move support (JS Stevenson has said that are TBD)

The only thing that really matters to me is the aliasing question. R3 needs to use MLAA, like all the big PS3 titles that are announced for 2011

Kittonwy said:
I disagree, R2 bosses were basically bullet sponges aside from the leviathan and the final boss both of which were pretty lame, in RFOM the stalker and widowmaker fights actually forced the player to try to outflank the bosses while taking cover. R1 also had better weapons, like the dragon, sapper, hailstorm and the laark, all of them had really fun secondary fire modes.

Not saying R3 will be a repudiation of R2 design philosophies but it seems to have more of that RFOM intimacy than R2's idea of "bigger is better" even though R2 gameplay-wise was very linear and restricted, and a lot of things were rendered on screen which the player never got to interact with.
I will agree that the final boss was lame, but the very first boss was cool and I found leviathan to be very awesome in Chicago (where I had to gradually kill him and go up buildings to the top). I felt the Auger in R2 was beyond awesome, loved the bullseye, and also liked the opportunities I had using the pulse cannon. I didn't think a single R1 weapon was as cool as the V7 splicer because it was fun cutting up tons of chimera in single player. Loved how it was very sci-fi in certain areas that made it feel a bit like Halo.

I just remembered Stevenson himself stating that R2 was designed around what worked well for the focus group they brought it. While the game may not have suited GAF, it suited people like me. I think what Insomniac meant on the bigger being better was having more massive multi-player matches (which I'll admit I was not a big fan of), but bigger co-op with 8 players. I put several days into R2 and still play it now.

Despite liking R2 more, I am still excited for R3. I just hope if anything its a mix between R1 and R2. I don't want too much R1 since I (and many others I know) find its gameplay to be mediocre today (at launch it was okay, until more FPS came out like CoD, new Halo games, etc.).

While I may not agree with you Kittonwy on the Resistance series, I do agree about Uncharted. ;)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I wasn't a huge fan of the Resistance 2 SP campaign but the gameplay footage in the trailer looked really good. Hope it turns out awesome. It was definitely enough to get me excited!

Not personally a fan of the live action bits, I hope it doesn't actually transfer into the game. I doubt it will.

Hydrargyrus said:
The things that should be clarified (at least for me) are:

- About the jaggies:
Type of AA (I hope that R3 will use some kind of AA)
Real resolution

- About online... everything :lol

- 3D and Move support (JS Stevenson has said that are TBD)

The only thing that really matters to me is the aliasing question. R3 needs to use MLAA, like all the big PS3 titles that are announced for 2011

are you a gamer or a game inspector? Why does this stuff matter to you?

derFeef

highluxury said:
I'd suggest no one replays R2... forgets it exists... and instead renames Resistance 3 to Resistance 2: Ya'll got trolled.
Is it that bad? I considered it buying for my "I have a PS3 now" celebration.

derFeef said:

it's just disappointing, considering the pedigree of the developer and the quality of the first game.

Also, it lacks visual polish.

derFeef said:

The game is pretty polarizing. Some people love it and some dont.

I loved the original R:FOM back in the day of the PS3 launch, shit was ballin'. My impression was established the first one and the sequel reminded me little to nothing of what I had played and known.

It still doesnt rock my socks, but I still got the platinum just cause I made myself believe it was a true "Resistance" sequel.

So yeah, the second one doesnt sit well with me.

Ashes

Banned
Y2Kev said:
It's extremely uneven. Play it on casual or suffer like g did.

THIS. one hit kill ftl. :lol Ai blind firing was so frustrating.
difficulty spike on this one was like some of the more retarded levels of god of war II.
ending was so meh, as was the beginning. and that one 10,000 kill trophy, I think it was, can go die in hell fire. :lol
But I still liked it overall. :)
There really just needs to be more variation in gameplay. And I don't mean, kill three here, then sixty there, then four here, and oh a boss. there was tons of that kind of variation in R2.
I liked the vertical parts of R2, even if it was google maps, I thought it was cool.
And some of the levels really did look nice. Can't even remember their names atm but I'll go look for them.
edit: just looking at a playthrough, this is one great looking game, I don't know why some people knocked it for this.

Yoboman

TEH-CJ said:
amazing if true. the ps3 is bandwidth limited and handling a lot of alpha blending and particals really tax the system

I'm just amazed the ps3 can handle the blood effects seen in that trailer.
Why? There are more graphically impressive games than this on PS3, why is it a surprise that PS3 can pull this off?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
derFeef said:
If you plan on playing coop, it's really good. Otherwise it is probably worse than the first (not bad though).

Parts

Yoboman said:
Why? There are more graphically impressive games than this on PS3, why is it a surprise that PS3 can pull this off?
Than Resistance 3? I can think of two, and that's a big matter of opinion. I think judging from the trailer it possibly beats them. It looks fantastic and the effects step on most other games, with the splatter effects even beating Killzone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Particle effects are likely done via the SPUs. Killzone 2, Uncharted 2 and surely others do the same.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Has there been any confirmation to turn off HUD in options?

Playing ACB was so satisfying this way :D

patsu

derFeef said:

The SP campaign has room for improvement.

The MP is solid. According to a friend who's playing it, you can still find a game quickly in R2 online (I asked him last week). The 8P co-op experience is refreshing.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BruceLeeRoy said:
Do we have a HD source for the trailer yet?
Its not on PSN right?

I think the trailer, fact sheet and new screens are being released by SCEA / SCEE tomorrow. Will follow-up.

Yoboman said:
Remember how Bayonetta PS3 runs at like 55% of the framerate of the 360 version most of the time?

That's because Bayonetta uses a ton of alpha effects. They're probably the PS3's greatest graphical weakness.
And also because it's a seriously shitty port.

badcrumble said:
Yoboman said:

Remember how Bayonetta PS3 runs at like 55% of the framerate of the 360 version most of the time?

That's because Bayonetta uses a ton of alpha effects. They're probably the PS3's greatest graphical weakness.
And also because it's a seriously shitty port.

I'm certainly no expert on this kinda stuff, but check out how God of War III does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qirkwfNKcDs
(skip to 2:28)

Hydrargyrus

ra2pua.gif

20gobja.jpg

1678mit.jpg

2wns0np.jpg

8vq4io.jpg

2mesg8w.jpg

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
JS any chance of getting more gameplay footage this year?

I couldn't quite tell from the Spike trailer but does the game in motion have the grain/vignette/old timey effect that's seen in the screens?

Grisby

derFeef said:

No, its worth a playthrough. I don't know if the online is still populated but that was pretty fun for a while. If you found it for under $20 or so I'd suggest checking it out.

My lovejuice all over this! Those screens look like the original GI R2 scans, only real this time :D

Good job on the chimeras, they're looking WAY more menacing. Youre on the right track Insomniac..... Now polish the snot of it so I can shoot chimeras with glee!! :D

Hydrargyrus

Rapping Granny said:
God damn, first the Helghast and now these guys have jet packs, WTF? who's next, blue amazon people from Uncharted?

These are not jetpacks. The things that are in the chimeras back is the refrigeration system.
Those chimeras jump a lot (long legs), but don't have jetpacks

Nizz

This trailer was one of the few gameplay highlights for me from the VGAs. Where most of the trailers were CGI, at least this one had gameplay. Hope it gets on PSN soon. What gameplay was there in the trailer looked great.

I really liked the blood effects, and the animation looked so smooth. Atmosphere looks like R1 again, the art style looks way improved though. Going to be a tricky balance in satisfying fans of both R1 and R2.

Does anyone know if sprint will be back in this game? I remember the weapon wheel was pulled up by pressing L2, but sprint was on the L2 button in R2. I'm guessing the weapon wheel will be pulled up with L2 again. I guess L3 will be sprint?

I like to run in my FPS games. :)

Top Bottom