• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

Wollan

Well you know, dropships, spider mechs, intelligent guns and so forth. It's not totally according to history I guess. ;p

llTll

Banned
Wollan said:
Well you know, dropships, spider mechs, intelligent guns and so forth. It's not totally according to history I guess. ;p

this game is killer app. and i mean AAA game that i really cant wait for.

Wollan

So you guys with the latest EGM(or whatever mag it was).
You said the mag said the vehicle part felt like Halo. I guess this confirms that you actually drive with the camera?

Striek

Saw the large pics, good but not great. Steady improvement, but I would call the improvements Genji, Untold Legends, Motorstorm, Fatal Inertia etc. have been making in the rush to launch much more impressive.

mckmas8808

Banned
Striek said:
Saw the large pics, good but not great. Steady improvement, but I would call the improvements Genji, Untold Legends, Motorstorm, Fatal Inertia etc. have been making in the rush to launch much more impressive.

Do they look like the smaller pics a page back?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Mike Stout @ Insomniac on why they decided on no vehicles in multiplayer....
When we decided to go with 40 players, we wanted to make sure that we had a game that showed that feature off. There wasn't any point to supporting 40 if you only saw like 1 or 2 people at a time.

To that end, we wanted the game to be very frantic and fast-paced, with a lot of consistent clashing. You meet up with enemies and allies alike all the time, and it really makes 40 players feel good.

The problem was that deciding in favor of frantic and fast-paced gameplay was intrinsically a decision against vehicles. Vehicle maps, by definition, need to be very flat and empty, and the goals need to be spread out so that vehicles are required to traverse between them. Not only that, but the geometry itself needs to have much more negative space so that vehicles don't get stuck -- which makes an intense cover-to-cover battle over changing terrain almost impossible.

Our prototyping revealed that such maps resulted in infrequent clashes, and generally you'd only see one or two enemies at a time, with occasional meetings with more.

And so we decided against vehicles. I think people will agree, upon playing the game, that it was the right decision. One of our European producers described the game as "like being in a dryer cycle full of scorpions," which I think is apt. The game is intense!
http://forums.insomniacgames.com/viewtopic.php?t=32830

Striek

Yeah...them, but full-res.

If Insomniac added a global lighting system (or w/e) the game would look insane. The lighting is very dull as it is. Not even natural. Better than E3? Yeah. Good? Not particularly.

Edit; I didn't know there was no vehicles in multiplayer. Thats lame and so is the excuse.

Striek said:

If Insomniac added a global lighting system (or w/e) the game would look insane. The lighting is very dull as it is. Not even natural. Better than E3? Yeah. Good? Not particularly.

Edit; I didn't know there was no vehicles in multiplayer. Thats lame and so is the excuse.

Agreed :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wollan said:
So you guys with the latest EGM(or whatever mag it was).
You said the mag said the vehicle part felt like Halo. I guess this confirms that you actually drive with the camera?
It's a short, one-sentence blurb that accompanies the pic of the jeep. It just says, "Taking a joyride in the jeep feels very Halo-ish"

J-Rzez

Bad_Boy said:
Mike Stout @ Insomniac on why they decided on no vehicles in multiplayer....
http://forums.insomniacgames.com/viewtopic.php?t=32830

That actually makes sense... I agree... In games like Socom, you'd wander a gigantic map for 5 mins to find someone sometimes when you were the last two ppl left... they'd have the tank, you'd be dead... lol... another example is Chromehounds... you wander forever to find something sometimes (unless you have a NA array)...

I think it fits the online gameplay experience they're shooting for, with intense teamwork inspired combat... nice!

Man, those pics, this game is shaping up to be king... I can't wait, Nov 17th can't get here soon enough!

Wollan

Striek said:
Thats lame and so is the excuse.

How can you say the excuse is lame? He said they tested it out and they made a decision that is against the stream these days. And according to EGM(I think) the vehicle control is comparable to Halo so I guess it must feel mighty fine(so they're obviously not dropping it out due to quality). I think the excuse sounded valid and I'm interested to see how it turns out. Not saying that I don't want vehicle multiplayer cause I do but I'm definitely going to see how it turns out without it.

mckmas8808

Banned
Striek said:

What does "w/e" mean?

Wollan

He posted some more in regards to a question about encouraging squad play:

Dodger said:
There are some things we'll be doing to promote squad gameplay, but I don't think we've announced them officially yet, so I can't say much.

I think all I can say on the subject is that it doesn't really turn out that way. The map designs tend to promote flow towards multiple pinch points. There's a lot of layering that goes on. In a free-for-all you're fighting 1-2 other people in your immediate fight zone, but you can see other fights going on nearby (so a new fight isn't often far away). In objective-based modes you're typically teaming up to go take objectives or staying with others to defend objectives.

mikeGFG

Banned
Striek said:
Because it is. If it isn't working; fix it.

It's not broken; vechicles are not the focus of thier multiplayer mode and that's a conscience design choice.

They must be iterating and prototyping for months, I think they know what's best for their game.

J-Rzez

Striek said:
Whatever.

Because it is. If it isn't working; fix it.

That is your opinion if it's "broken"... they obviously wanted to gear away from that to make the battles more confined, easier to find, and always something happening... They didn't want to take a Socom/Battlefield/Chromehounds approach with wide settlements with spaced out battles... that's what they chose, so be it... who knows, you just might like it... we'll just have to wait and see... especially with these details they're not getting into yet...

May just be GOTY material here... at least a must buy for any gamer...

NinSoX

Banned
They could have at least made vehicles an option for servers. It's just an excuse (I think they are just running out of development time).

HomerSimpson-Man said:
If the need for vehicular combat is strong there can always be made with newer map downloads for it and....dun dun dun....

....microtransactions!

This also popped in my head this morning. I'm ok with it actually. I want some multiplayer maps with vehicles, so it's better to add them later then not at all. Although I'm sure some people will be upset that they weren't included in the first place. I guess a few will be free while others will cost some money. But that's if it happens.

Yeah, I guess so but them better be damn free! I hate this pay to play crap...miss the good old downloads and supporting the fanbase instead of taking advantage of the fanbase. II'm weary of the trend of next generation microtransactions and crap.l

Rody

Striek said:

How can you say it's a lame excuse if it's perfectly explained? Oh, GAF...

Wollan

Dodger said:
One of our European producers described the game as "like being caught in a spin dryer full of scorpions," which I think is apt. The game is intense!

Got to love that description. :lol

Striek

Actually Rody I think its more typical of GAF to agree with a developer and take his words as gospel.

I read his excuse as "we can't design the levels to play out the way we want with vehicles", and I'm sure you all did too. If you're going to have a system where you can promote pinch-points on foot you sure as **** should be able to do the same with vehicles by managing terrain and your corridors of play appropriately.

Anywho, you all know its an excuse as well as I do. Dev-time weighing down on them.

>>>It's not broken; vechicles are not the focus of thier multiplayer mode and that's a conscience design choice.

They couldn't get vehicles to work within the bounds of that 'design choice', hence vehicular play was broken.

Wollan

With all the ton of stuff that is in the multiplayer and they already having a fully functional vehicle implemention in singleplayer and the dev giving a very valid reasoning for not having it in multiplayer you still refuse to believe it.

Surreal

Striek said:
Actually Rody I think its more typical of GAF to agree with a developer and take his words as gospel.

I read his excuse as "we can't design the levels to play out the way we want with vehicles", and I'm sure you all did too. If you're going to have a system where you can promote pinch-points on foot you sure as **** should be able to do the same with vehicles by managing terrain and your corridors of play appropriately.

Anywho, you all know its an excuse as well as I do. Dev-time weighing down on them.

>>>It's not broken; vechicles are not the focus of thier multiplayer mode and that's a conscience design choice.

They couldn't get vehicles to work within the bounds of that 'design choice', hence vehicular play was broken.

Damn, is vehicular play broken in Tekken 5 too?

The point is, something that isn't there isn't broken. If they included vehicular play in Resistance and it was terrible, then you could say it is broken. They don't want players to have that kind of playing experience. They want it the levels to be tight, intense, and highly manuverable.

On the powe issue

The question at the heart of the debate is whether or not the PS3 is more “powerful” than the Xbox360 and there is no way I will get sucked into that one. Sure, I and others here at Insomniac have our own opinions (and are admittedly biased) but no matter what I say and no matter what people see at launch, the debate will continue long after the PS3 has been released. And since different games focus on different things it may be very hard to make true "apples to apples" comparisons. To all of us at Insomniac the most important question has always been, “is the game fun?”

And Blu Ray

The 20Gb debate

The second topic that has been surfacing a lot lately is our support of Blu-ray as a medium. Yes it is true - we are currently using more than 20 gigs. And yes, we do compress our level data. The fact that we store so much on disc is actually not that surprising when you look at the numbers. Consider that even with compression, each of our “levels” (or loaded areas) has more than 300 megs of unique data. And keep in mind that we’re also streaming data during level playthroughs. It doesn't take too much level data before you've gone past what can be stored on a dual-layer DVD. And between single player and multiplayer we have a lot of level data (over 40 different large loaded areas) – yes, more than will fit on a dual layer DVD.

We also include a lot of data in the form of game movies in both HD and PAL formats, high quality audio streams for all supported languages and some of those Insomniac “extras” that our fans have come to expect.

I realize that some people will still be skeptical unless we provide an actual layout of the disc. But for now I wanted to give you some better info.

Striek

Surreal said:
The point is, something that isn't there isn't broken
Huh? More a point of if it isn't perfect, keep adding.

A ridiculous and very churlish comparison between this and Tekken, btw.

Rody said:
Stop it Striek, you're embarassing yourself.
So, for my own benediction, don't question when things go wrong, I mean surely Insomniac have the best system possible right now, and they didn't just admit they couldn't get the level design right for the perfect combination of vehicles and action. Right...

Man, take a step back guys, you're acting like I've deeply insulted your beliefs :(

Vehicles will be in Resistance: Fall of the Chimera, when they do it right - nay, have the time to do it right -, believe me ;-)

Now I'm off to read Teds blog.

Wollan said:
A blog that gavee some answers and insight. Keep it coming I say.

I really liked his answer to the whoel power issue. Instead of bullshitting like some devs he just gave it to you straight, he's obviously biased on the issue so there's no point in him really answering it.

Top Bottom