• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

Kittonwy

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Is that kosher around here? If it isnt an issue ill see if I can upload it somewheres.

Yeah I think thats the biggest thing holding it back visually so far. More dynamic lighting/shadowing would go a long way.

QFMFT.

^__^

Kittonwy

Banned
momolicious said:
so kittonwy, your dissapointed?

It's hard to say, there are definitely things I like, but I don't get this stubborness of using this yellow palette and their insistence not to have outdoor objects cast shadows.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I bet this gun ends up whored like crazy in MP...
resi5zs6.jpg

Get that sexy picture out of here. I heard that this game's graphics are good.

yeah, im surprised no one still complaining about the screen going bright red each time you get hit, SEIZURRRE. i also hate taht they are goign for 1080p, not many people have 1080p tvs!!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Interesting that humans are fighting the metal spider mechs in that footage. I thought that those were supposed to be human constructs that you could control.

jett

D-Member
momolicious said:
yeah, im surprised no one still complaining about the screen going bright red each time you get hit, SEIZURRRE. i also hate taht they are goign for 1080p, not many people have 1080p tvs!!

Hahaha, I was going to mention that. I can see my head hurting from that shit. At least do it like Mercenaries does it: only when you're low in health.

kaching said:
Interesting that humans are fighting the metal spider mechs in that footage. I thought that those were supposed to be human constructs that you could control.

Yeah thats what they said in the PSM preview (the mech goes up against the big spider ala Godzilla vs. Mecha-Godzilla). Maybe you have to jack one from the Chimera first.

Wollan

kaching said:

I think both can control it. Also, the aliens have a actual biological spider of that size as well(seen in the PSM mag).

jjasper

Yeah thats what they said in the PSM preview (the mech goes up against the big spider ala Godzilla vs. Mecha-Godzilla). Maybe you have to jack one from the Chimera first.

Or maybe the Chimera jacked one of yours?

Striek

That ice level does seemingly look great...

Is that kosher around here? If it isnt an issue ill see if I can upload it somewheres.
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure someone was banned at E3 for linking to uploaded (HD/premium) video content from sites like GS/IGN. Just FYI.

Pimpwerx

kaching said:
Maybe they're multiplayer shots and someone's going for a PK? ;) PEACE.

Kittonwy

Banned
Frankly I don't really care about READING gameplay details, I would rather SEE what the game plays like, if you run a mag, PUT UP SCREENSHOTS, **** the text, this isn't literature or real news, I'm not reading the WSJ here, there's a reason why they're called VIDEOgames. I don't know why people find that kind of stuff all that exciting, I can't read gameplay details and be able to visualize how the game plays.

They need to STOP doing video interviews showing the guy talking. I can hear what he says without looking at him, and I sure as hell don't need to know what he looks like, I don't need a face to the voice, show the game, that's the most important thing, that's the thing I'm going to buy.

It's 12:30AM and I need to go work out (aka play with my legos) and get rid of some of that anger.

~_~

Game is looking sweet. The video was cool to me and the HD pics are great....game looks so damn smooth and clean awesome IQ, and the video so much stuff going on at times and all sort of effects and it runs pretty damn smooth too.

Regarding 1080p...the game is pretty far along as assets are mostly done and just a add of the final polish really at this stage, I mean really....if they can refine their graphics engine to the point their optimization allows them 1080p, more power to them and impressive if they do.

vantastic

Mr.Potato Head said:
How was his quote insane? We are talking about ps3 and 600 bucks to buy the damn machine. I, along with many others have been expecting more then this out of the system..with its launch games. Not saying all ps3 games have been subpar...im looking foward to a few titles on ps3 during the holidays/newyear but i just dont see anything we havent seen on xbox 360 or the pc for that matter...

For this state of the art cell chip, uber powerful rsx...im still waiting for sony to make my head turn...seriously.
save your $500 then if you're expecting to be blown the f*ck away by ps3. it'll never happen.

Kittonwy said:
Frankly I don't really care about READING gameplay details, I would rather SEE what the game plays like, if you run a mag, PUT UP SCREENSHOTS, **** the text, this isn't literature or real news, I'm not reading the WSJ here, there's a reason why they're called VIDEOgames. I don't know why people find that kind of stuff all that exciting, I can't read gameplay details and be able to visualize how the game plays.

They need to STOP doing video interviews showing the guy talking. I can hear what he says without looking at him, and I sure as hell don't need to know what he looks like, I don't need a face to the voice, show the game, that's the most important thing, that's the thing I'm going to buy.

It's 12:30AM and I need to go work out (aka play with my legos) and get rid of some of that anger.

~_~

You got nothing to be upset about man, this game is going to kick all kinds of ass.

Ponn

Banned
I'm not big on FPS. In recent memory only liked Painkiller and actually beat that on the PC. I had some interest in FEAR but didn't have a PC that could run it. I hate FPS on consoles but was mildly excited to hear FEAR was coming to 360 and PS3 because I might just rent it to see if I really would like it.

I've been watching this game though and i'm slowly getting some excitement for it. I still don't myself buying it but i'm kind of hoping my roommate does so I can try it and at least watch him play through the single player.

Looking at it again...I too feel that the red flash seems too intrusive when you get damaged...other FPS tend to not need such a heavy visual aid.

If they really want a more polished visual representation of damage something like using a small screen shake and nicely subtle dose of partial to maybe full screen motion blur would probably do the trick better.

Ponn01 said:
I'm not big on FPS. In recent memory only liked Painkiller and actually beat that on the PC. I had some interest in FEAR but didn't have a PC that could run it. I hate FPS on consoles but was mildly excited to hear FEAR was coming to 360 and PS3 because I might just rent it to see if I really would like it.

I've been watching this game though and i'm slowly getting some excitement for it. I still don't myself buying it but i'm kind of hoping my roommate does so I can try it and at least watch him play through the single player.

Or you could join him in co-op.

J-Rzez

I personally think it looks really good... but that's not the main point of an Insomniac game... Gameplay is... and from what I've read and have seen in motion, they're going to deliver as usual... This is a lot quicker paced than I thought it would be, it's chaotic, but in a good way... The weapons are truly awesome, that hedgehog is so cool the way all the individual needles react and the tag-gun is so neat... And it sounds like their multiplayer is going to shape up nicely as well...

This is without doubt my must-have, will beat up your 10-year old boy if he gets the last copy, launch game...

And they still have some time to polish it up yet too! It can still get better...

Maybe others are about the graphics, which I think these are pretty damned decent... but it's the gameplay that's going to probably suck me in... As gameplay matters most to me...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Maybe, just seems weird that after stating in the PSM preview that humans have their own mech, all of the footage here shows them fighting against it! :lol

Man, I'm still waiting for the HD version of the interview to download...

kaching said:
Maybe, just seems weird that after stating in the PSM preview that humans have their own mech, all of the footage here shows them fighting against it! :lol

Yeah, when I first saw that screenshot figured it was from the multi-player because of that. I hope you get to ride those suckers at least, heh.

One thing I forgot to mention about the interview footage... the dude is taking point blank shots from the mecha spider and the health bar aint budgin. God mode FTL. :lol

mikeGFG

Banned
Color me surprised. That new footage looks great.

I would like to see some other levels in the coming months. Everything thus far looks especially flat and muted (which I hoped would change since the E3 build, but whatever).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Kittonwy said:
Now that my anger has subsided, this looks pretty good. Phew.
gladtomeetya.gif
:lol I would have figured this was more than you would have expected in the first place, given everything else is seemingly being embargoed until TGS.

White Man

I was pretty impressed by the video.

That said, I think this game looks better in screenshots. I <3 Insomniac and this will be my day 1 purchase.

BuddyC

White Man said:
I was pretty impressed by the video.

That said, I think this game looks better in screenshots. I <3 Insomniac and this will be my day 1 purchase.
I haven't gotten to see the video yet, but I've been pretty psyched about the potential of Resistance for some time now. I'm not sure if this will be a day one purchase for me, but I am quite confident it'll be coming home in the same bag as my PS3 and Ridge Racer 7.

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:
:lol I would have figured this was more than you would have expected in the first place, given everything else is seemingly being embargoed until TGS.

I hate embargoes.
angry.gif

Aside from seeing a couple of new levels, and the mechanical spider as well as the sapper weapon in action, I find the video interview not all that informative, it's like they're talking but they aren't really saying anything, nothing on story details, nothing on multiplayer. All in all, not too bad.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
*sorry about asking for link earlier, i'll never do it again i swear :)

but holy hell, damn im noticing some stuff I havent before with that low quality piece of shit.

anybody notice some chimera (of the same type, the ones with the backpacks) have more teeth than other chimera? so they are not all specifically the same model.

anybody see the juggle the glob did to the one chimera? it popped him in the air and a second glob exploded and popped him further in the air. :lol

the fire/smoke clouds look pretty damn good, theres few scattered in the foreground and background.

can't wait to see the other sites footage this week.

t4m

This looks good enough as far as I am concerned - even great in some cases. The weapons seem interesting for the most part; firing swarms of bullets to ambush foes seems great, and that bullet-time-sniper-rifle-action will be a god-send. On top of all that, I have faith that Insomniac can put together a tight experience. :D

One criticism - I didn't see the AI do anything particularly bright... can anyone contradict that?

t4m said:
One criticism - I didn't see the AI do anything particularly bright... can anyone contradict that?

If you notice the health bar the player has God mode on in most of the footage. He gets lit up pretty bad actually. But yeah, the scripting didnt look so hot when he was jumping into the fray like that. Pretty disorganized and random overall (nifty seeing one of the grunts duck n dive from the spike nade though). I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now as the AI could be dumbed down for the press demo or just not fully implemented/polished yet. We'll see.

Top Bottom