• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

PolyGone

Banned
you guys... Insomniac has been developing games with a cartoony style for years. Considering this is the first dark and mature setting they've done in awhile, I think they're doing pretty good. Sure other games might have a little more of this or that but I'm really digging the art direction/style of this one.
 

Kittonwy

Banned
http://forums.insomniacgames.com/viewtopic.php?p=857225#857225

Incessant pestering of Insomniac staff by forum members has yielded this.

The gamespot build was after the PSM build, if that's what you're asking.

EDIT: Yes, and before the MTV build
_________________
Mike Stout
Insomniac Games

 

Kangu

Banned
People have seriously got to lower their expectations for this 'new lighting' or there's going to be a lot of meltdowns when it's finaly revealed. Worst case scenarios is you lower your expectations and are pleasanty suprised with how things turn out. This is simply a decent looking first gen game that's likely to play very well.
 

Kittonwy

Banned
monkeymagic said:
So the new lighting hasn't been implemented in any of the videos/screens we've seen?

Just to confuse you even more:

EvilTaru wrote:
He's asking whether the lighting has gone in or not in the Gamespot build, well has it? ^__^

That's kind of a misleading question. Lighting was in for the gamespot build, yes. But if you're asking if there were lighting bugs in the stuff from that build, yes of course there were.

For example the grass in the mech shot wasn't lit correctly. It's just a bug, though, it's not that the lighting wasn't there.

While it's tremendously flattering that people are pouring over the screenshots pixel by pixel and analyzing them, I always find it a bit silly. It's cool to be excited about it, but you're not going to see anythign final until the game goes out in a box. The law of bug creation will ensure that.

_________________
Mike Stout
Insomniac Games

Nevermind that ****er EvilTaru.

 

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
meltpotato said:
woah! everything looks the same just a lot smaller! i guess thats one way to fix the flaws
It's not about the details in those small pics, but rather, what's being shown. :D

It LOOKS really interesting and cool rather than a generic CoD clone (not that I expected it to be).
 

Kangu

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Just to confuse you even more:



Nevermind that ****er EvilTaru.


That makes it sound like the much vaunted new lighting is already implemented, but Insomniac guy is trying to keep people's hopes up by making reference to lighting 'bugs'.

Told you guys to lower your expectations.
 

jett

D-Member
Elios83 said:
I also can't find anything exciting in the gameplay,overall it seems nothing more than one of the many fps currently available on PC.

It kind of reminds me of Killzone for PS2. Very basic gameplay mechanics. Probably why it just doesn't look exciting.
 

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jett said:
It kind of reminds me of Killzone for PS2. Very basic gameplay mechanics. Probably why it just doesn't look exciting.
Whoa now...

Killzone offered suprisingly good play mechanics. The game PLAYED very well, but the piss poor AI and beyond awful framerate brought the whole thing down. They had a solid feel for the game down and made a lot of good decisions on that front, but in the end, it meant nothing.
 
Bad_Boy said:
wheres that mofo who said there wasnt any good textures or normal mapping in the game?

well i certainly said there where shitty textures and i can still see them even in these cellphone screens:







im sure it's just a lighting bug, mofo
 

xaosslug

Member
Kittonwy said:
AFAIK 6 types of enemies so far (leapers, menials, chimera grunts, advanced chimeras, slipskulls, widowmaker).

^__^

Yeah, I know! :D and I'm sure they'll be loads more, considering R&C series. But, in the other Resistance thread, there was a bunch of peeps lamenting the lack diversity in the enemy set, or some bullshit. :lol
 

Kittonwy

Banned
xaosslug said:
Yeah, I know! :D and I'm sure they'll be loads more, considering R&C series. But, in the other Resistance thread, there was a bunch of peeps lamenting the lack diversity in the enemy set, or some bullshit. :lol

I wonder how huge the enemies can get.
 

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
meltpotato said:
well i certainly said there where shitty textures and i can still see them even in these cellphone screens:


im sure it's just a lighting bug, mofo
wasnt you, it was in the other thread. somebody said there was no normal mapping or somthing of that nature.
 
how do yall know the ground textures arent placeholders and that when the game ships the textures will become higher res for the ground.
 

jett

D-Member
momolicious said:
how do yall know the ground textures arent placeholders and that when the game ships the textures will become higher res for the ground.

We don't, and neither do you. We can only judge what we've seen. And...well, considering the allegedly ZOMG LIFE-CHANGING lighting(so much for that) is reportedly in this build, I doubt the game will look much better come PS3's launch date.

Like I've said before, this looks like a game designed for PS3's March launch date, like Fatal Inertia.
 
i hope people in the insomniac forums are talking about the ground textures and the Seizure Red When Hit , because they are definately listening
 

jax (old)

Banned
well, aren't 1up + whoever else meant to see a new build early this week? The news hasn't really filtered out onto the interweb.

1UP CREW. TELL US SOMETHING. probably need to check their forums or something.
 

Surreal

Member
jett said:
We don't, and neither do you. We can only judge what we've seen. And...well, considering the allegedly ZOMG LIFE-CHANGING lighting(so much for that) is reportedly in this build, I doubt the game will look much better come PS3's launch date.

Like I've said before, this looks like a game designed for PS3's March launch date, like Fatal Inertia.

I think GAF blew that out of proportion, like everything. The devs post wasn't really expressing,"ZOMG LIGHT GRAPHICSOFF THE WALL." Poor devs, taken out of context at every turn.
 

jax (old)

Banned
momolicious said:
^ this is the new build


The gamespot build was after the PSM build, if that's what you're asking.

EDIT: Yes, and before the MTV build
_________________
Mike Stout
Insomniac Games

no its not. Last weeks podcast by 1up mentioned that MTV saw the latest build and that they're going to see whatever it was Insomniac is showing at their event this Mon/Tuesday. Even by Mike Stout's own comment... the gamespot build is older than the MTV build.
 

Wollan

Member
Surreal said:
I think GAF blew that out of proportion, like everything. The devs post wasn't really expressing,"ZOMG LIGHT GRAPHICSOFF THE WALL." Poor devs, taken out of context at every turn.

Kittonwy blew that out of proportions. I told the guy to check his expectations and think through what is being said but no.
Before you knew it, the guy had started a campaign across a handful of big forums.
 

jjasper

Member
Wollan said:
Kittonwy blew that out of proportions. I told the guy to check his expectations and think through what is being said but nooo, I'm just old rambling Wollan.


Kittonwy
Banned
(Today, 08:12 PM)
Reply | Quote
 

jett

D-Member
Surreal said:
I think GAF blew that out of proportion, like everything. The devs post wasn't really expressing,"ZOMG LIGHT GRAPHICSOFF THE WALL." Poor devs, taken out of context at every turn.

He did say he couldn't even recognize the levels when the lighting was "in". Someone else was the one that blew it out of proportion, not gaf. :p
 
Top Bottom