• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - Gamespot First Look

davepoobond said:
this makes me relatively unhappy. especially the no vehicles in multiplayer.

At least it's halfway to Halo. But Shane's right. That's closer than GoW. (Or does on-line co-op add like an equivalent Haloness that not having vehicles would take away? Gosh this is tough.)

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
At least it's halfway to Halo. But Shane's right. That's closer than GoW. (Or does on-line co-op add like an equivalent Haloness that not having vehicles would take away? Gosh this is tough.)
Well, neither Halo game had online co-op, so I guess that makes it even LESS like Halo.

Wollan

Thanks to ddaryl at official forum. Here are some new pics:

(Images removed at the request of SCEA.. still under embargo)

Looks like the Chimera models has got an overhaul. They really shine in these pictures, looks awesome. Looks like they added extra cables/tubes to them as well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'd rather take this

928399_20050516_screen002.jpg

It is more scary and alien-animal looking. The new one is about as dumb as Doom 3's imps IMO.

Wollan

Here is how the Chimera soldier has evolved. The latest model clearly has much more detail than the previous ones:

ChimeraModels.jpg

llTll

Banned
Wollan said:
Here is how the Chimera soldier has evolved. The latest model clearly has much more detail than the previous ones:

ChimeraModels.jpg

they look the same to me expect the last one is more detailed.

Wollan

The first one has more of a 'crocodile' like face. It also has bigger teeth all the way back. It also has much less polygons(look at wires for example. They are more like real tubes in the latest).
I really like the shine on the latest versions tubes, really makes them stand out.

teiresias

Hey guys . . . 400k @ launch . . . waaaahahahahahaaaa!!!!!!!!!

As a result Resistance sucks now.

Not really, these new shots look great - really digging how the subtle changes in the chimera model make it look much more ferocious - we just obviously can't have anything good be said about anything regarding the PS3, lest we anger some posters.

Drek

Damn. I'd like to see larger shots, as the shrunken ones can conceal some glitches, but if not this just became hands down the best looking release of '06.

new shots are looking great.

i really wish people would stop comparing it to halo. it's like... it's like this:

doom came out and everyone kept talking about how game x was the 'next doom'. then quake came out, and every started talking about how game x was the 'next quake'. half life came out and everyone kept talking about whether or not a game was the next half life. it's been the same for halo.

what i'm getting at is, that if resistance is truly the next halo, it won't be like halo and when it comes out people won't be comparing it to halo and they'll start talking about 'the next resistance'.

it's a game that played great at E3 and now looks even better graphically than it did then. it's a quirky mix of sci fi fps and world war 2 fps (which both happen to be the most popular kinds of fps) with imaginative and fun weapons, great lighting animation and physics and some scary aliens to fight. that's a great mix... the controls were feeling really good at E3 (even though i normally hate playing FPS on a dual shock) and it's coming from a developer with pedigree.

gears of war is a totally different thing... i guess we're only comparing them because A: aliens and B: both pinned as killer apps. right now gears has greater buzz but then Halo (and Half Life) both seemed to come out of nowhere so you never can tell.

Resistance doesn't sell me on a PS3 at launch, but you can bet i'll be crashing the house of anyone i find out has a PS3 and the game, when it hits.

edit: i thought offline co op had long been confirmed?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
davepoobond said:
this makes me relatively unhappy. especially the no vehicles in multiplayer.
They said they playtested vehicles in MP but found that they preferred it without them, for a more up close and personal feeling to the battles. With the potential to have 40 people in the fray, I would have thought you could have had a bit of both, but they apparently decided to focus on going all one way.

Edit: I expect we'll see these new shots in full res tomorrow, since that's when there's supposed to be a next unveiling.

Wollan

In this day and age though a 'vehicle multiplayer boost package' isn't out of the question with microtransactions. With some vehicle focused maps to go along with it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
kaching said:
They said they playtested vehicles in MP but found that they preferred it without them, for a more up close and personal feeling to the battles. With the potential to have 40 people in the fray, I would have thought you could have had a bit of both, but they apparently decided to focus on going all one way.
I agree with this to a degree...

I preferred playing Halo without vehicles for the same reasons. The mechanics were so incredibly good and worked beautifully in close combat situations. However, those matches were on a smaller scale. With 40 person multiplayer, it seems that vehicles would be a given. Ah well, *IF* the multiplayer is good, I'll probably stick to smaller scale maps anyways...

Drek

plagiarize said:
what i'm getting at is, that if resistance is truly the next halo, it won't be like halo and when it comes out people won't be comparing it to halo and they'll start talking about 'the next resistance'.
Exactly, and thats just what it will be. Resistance offers the gameplay Bungie promised initially with Halo 2, and what they delivered for the first few levels. Massive battles with AI soldiers and enemies fighting it out all around you. It'll be chaotic as hell and dovetail perfectly with large scale online gaming. Insomniac is a killer dev team and this isn't their first go 'round at the genre. This game is going to deliver and be a step forward for the genre, at that point the ball is in Bungie's court. They won't be able to release a graphically upgraded very similar experience like they did when going form Halo 1 -> Halo 2.

edit: i thought offline co op had long been confirmed?
It had, but there were rumors of online co-op (not true) and its nice to see graphical fidelity maintained in co-op (though framerate would actually be where co-op really hits the graphics).

dark10x

I can't view any of the new shots. Are they an actual improvement over what we've been seeing?

Wollan

dark10x said:
I can't view any of the new shots. Are they an actual improvement over what we've been seeing?

The Chimera models seem to have been much improved(more wrinkles and stuff, and some refined modeling). There's also a cool large view of a Chimera dig station with alot of technology. Besides that it's the ordinary town scenes..etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dark10x said:

Hard to tell because they're so small, but it just looks like it's really coming together well.

forgeforsaken said:
Halo and Half Life did not come out of nowhere.
they seemed to is what i'm saying. before they came out they didn't have the level of hype that Gears of War has now. people knew about them sure, but hardly anyone was predicting them to be the next big thing.

dark10x

plagiarize said:
they seemed to is what i'm saying. before they came out they didn't have the level of hype that Gears of War has now. people knew about them sure, but hardly anyone was predicting them to be the next big thing.
Which is why Resistance may actually have a shot at becoming something big...

It has always received attention, but only very recently are people really starting to sit up and take notice. It could go either way, but I would love to see Insomniac score big with this one.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
plagiarize said:
i really wish people would stop comparing it to halo.
This is something else they brought up in the EGM coverage. Ted Price mentioned that they're very acquainted at this point with Resistance being compared to other games. It's a new franchise so it's natural that people try to use the known (existing games) to better describe the unknown (this game). Halo isn't the only comparison made.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's looking better! That one shot where the tubes just kinda cut into the chimera's arm though...ew.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Those are some fine looking helmets. I wish more devs could understand the visual impact of having perfecly round helmets and wheels, few things are more anoying that angular objets that are supposed to be round.

yet still NO ****ING ANISOTROPIC FILTERING, this next gen is getting on my nerves

jett

D-Member
(Images removed at the request of SCEA.. still under embargo)
Easily the best looking screenshots in the bunch. Game looks really good, but it doesn't really impress like others(the visual quality is inconsistent). Maybe if Sony had never ever planned for a Spring '06 release this game would have turned out looking REALLY awesome...

Tieno

jett said:
[ig]http://gaming-age.com/previews/ps3/resistance/gaf/4.jpg[/img]

[ig]http://gaming-age.com/previews/ps3/resistance/gaf/8.jpg[/img]

Easily the best looking screenshots in the bunch. Game looks good, but it doesn't really impress like others. Maybe if Sony had never ever planned for a Spring '06 release this game would have turned out looking REALLY awesome...
This game looks much more impressive in motion to me, like Call of Duty 3 but better. The atmosphere doesn't translate into the screenshots that well and this game seems to have a good amount of it.

bud

this game is shaping up really nice. there are still some iffy ground textures but it looks pretty good now. resistance get!

Top Bottom