• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance vs HALO 3 (comparison inside)

Awntawn

Anyone who's ever eaten an apple and an orange should be smart enough to know that you don't compare the two. Anyone who thinks otherwise, there are only a handful of explanations:

- Tried apples but never tried oranges. Speculates on what oranges taste like.
- Tried oranges but never tried apples. Speculates on what apples taste like.
- Incapable of seperating opinion from fact.

You may like apples better than oranges, but that's your opinion. Are you going to go out and tell a person who likes oranges better than apples that he's wrong?

Oh man, oranges are more sour than apples. That's A FACT :lol YOUR OPINION IS WRONG

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
You know, for all the lip service paid to the differences between apples and oranges, I find that two share many striking similarities. They are both round. The both contain seeds. They're both obviously fruits. The both grow on trees. You can skin them both, if you choose. They'll both rot. See, you can compare apples and oranges.

szaromir

Banned
dark10x said:
Eh? No in what way?
He's the one who said it first, so he should say why he thinks like he thinks.
Both Resistance and Halo 3 MP Beta are way below next-gen's best graphics, but one of them has incredibly well implemented HDR and the other does not. I prefer the one with HDR.:)

RumFore

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Erm... no, i fall into this category:
http://media.arstechnica.com/reviews/games/super-paper-mario.media/400/295/1.jpg

Ofcourse i played it, have you? Don't let the motion blur fool ya, the game is not jag free. Not by a long shot.

Well you must have a shitty TV because it looks amazing on my monitor and TV. I hardly notice any jaggies if any while playing the game moreover I dont see how motion blur can fool anyone into think jaggies are not present.

And it looks better in person.
4.jpg

RumpledForeskin said:
Well you must have a shitty TV because it looks amazing on my monitor and TV. I hardly notice any jaggies if any while playing the game moreover I dont see how motion blur can fool anyone into think jaggies are not present.

And it looks better in person.
Yes that is exactly it, i played it on shitty tv, and yes i did say the game doesn't look amazing, and yes hardly notice = "totally jag free"...

"I dont see how motion blur can fool anyone into think jaggies are not present."
Then i don't see how we can continue this conversation with reasoning...

And i'll just leave it at that, this thread has already taken a wrong turn, don't want it to take another.

*edit* Oh, and yes, its really easy to spot jaggies on a 800*600 photograph...

StevieP

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Yes that is exactly it, i played it on shitty tv, and yes i did say the game doesn't look amazing, and yes hardly notice = "totally jag free"...

"I dont see how motion blur can fool anyone into think jaggies are not present."

And i'll just leave it at that, this thread has already taken a wrong turn, don't want it to take another.

While you bring up a point, I think you're doing it in an incorrect fashion. Gears doesn't have any AA, because the engine doesn't support it on the 360. Still looks good, though.

DD-11

the quote was virtually jag free, sure you can spot imperfections, but you have to try...oh wait, I forgot where I was

RumFore

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

PGR3 used motion blur heavily yet even a blind person could see all the jaggies.

GhaleonEB

bouc_emissaire said:
My apologies for this thread.

I think that Halo 3 is a good looking game, and Bungie will certainly deliver a very good game with a good gameplay.

But Resistance received a lot of bad comments before its release (like Halo 3 today, and like Resistance, we've got to wait for the final version) and now, it appears it wasn't a bad looking game, it's just like an other first party FPS game with open and big maps.

In my comparison, i used renders (for Resistance and Halo 3), final caps (for Resistance) and old build (for Resistance and Halo 3).

Didn't want to offense Halo fans, i think the pics i used for Halo 3 deserve the game.

Peace (and love, all we need is love and respect for the work of developpers :D ).
So, your goal was to illustrate that Resistance was a good looking game? I actually thought everyone knew that. :\

StevieP

Banned
szaromir said:
A 360 UE3 game is the only UE3 game across all platforms that has AA.:lol

If you're talking about Too Human, either Dyack's lying or their rewriting parts of the rendering engine. UE3 doesn't do FSAA.

szaromir

Banned
StevieP said:
If you're talking about Too Human, either Dyack's lying or their rewriting parts of the rendering engine. UE3 doesn't do AA.
Probably rewrote it. However, it funny how everyone emphasises that UE3 can't do AA on 360, when only Too Human has it (regardless of the fact that they resigned from some deferred rendering and whatnot) of all UE3 games.

UE3 scales badly with MSAA, not just on 360.

GhaleonEB

Art is even more subjective than the graphics debate that's been going on. I personally think the art is one of Halo's strong points, but it sure had plenty of detractors in yesterday's Metroid Prime 3 screenshot thread (which somehow degenerated into a good art vs. bad art debate, and subsequently into a Halo art vs. Metroid art debate).

That out of the way - Halo's art is ****ing gorgous.

squicken

DD-11 said:
And I wonder when people are going to learn that graphics have nothing to do with lag.

That's why I said "wonder," b/c I didn't know. So if graphics have nothing to do with lag, why do GRAW, R6V and numerous other games have better visuals in SP than in MP?

squicken said:
That's why I said "wonder," b/c I didn't know. So if graphics have nothing to do with lag, why do GRAW, R6V and numerous other games have better visuals in SP than in MP?
Because there is usually alot more going on during MP games then in single player, and when there is ALOT going on on SP they're usually scripted meaning they can focus the resources on what is needed.

DD-11

H3 is doing a lot more in terms of effects than those games. It's also a lot more stable, even in beta. GRAW, R6 and Gears have limited vertical, color, and/or map sizes. It's a tradeoff. I still wonder why people are complaining about H3's graphics, I htink they look very good.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
squicken said:

Because graphics have a lot to do with lag in a peer to peer networking environment. ;)

Netcode is the priority and if their isn't enough horsepower left over after all the fancy bells and whistles, then you've got yourself a latency issue.

VALIS

This thread is a perfect example as to why I try not to tell girls or even other guys that I like video games until I get to know them better. Who wants to be associated with this booger flinging mess?

Borys

Banned
Can't wait for the unevitable Crysis vs Halo 3 where the highest form of retardation, blindness, stupidity, jealousy and devotion will emerge from the Xbox fanbois.

Tieno

Borys said:
Can't wait for the unevitable Crysis vs Halo 3 where the highest form of retardation, blindness, stupidity, jealousy and devotion will emerge from the Xbox fanbois.
Damn it Borys, you can be such an ass.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Borys said:

:)

soco

Borys said:

all of those things are being exhibited by more than just xbots in this thread, and you've only added to the level of retardation, blindness, stupidity, jealousy, and devotion.

I look forward to Killzone vs Halo 3.

And ways Resistance and Halo 3 look pretty much the same besides artstyles. Gears looks better than both but in Gameplay. Its the worst of the 3.

Chiggs

Borys said:

Crysis? Pfft...that game ain't got shit on VF5, let alone Halo 3. Take your pc goggles off, Borys.

D3MO

Banned
Alien Bob said:
Halo 3 a Resistance ripoff CONFIRMED

Kind of agree...but then again all FPS are the same

The graphics though...are almost equal...with Halo 3 having a slight advantage...if this keeps up Killzone will Kill halo

DD-11

BloodAdo said:
Kind of agree...but then again all FPS are the same

The graphics though...are almost equal...with Halo 3 having a slight advantage...if this keeps up Killzone will Kill halo

:lol :lol :lol

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
rafman400 said:
Gears vs Halo 3 vs Resistance

Graphically
Gears>Resistance>Halo 3

Yes

Gameplay
Halo 3>Gears>Resistance

No

And I'm in the Sony Camp.