• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance will get hefty marketing

People I think have to realize games like Halo and GoldenEye are the exception, not the rule.

Those are really the only two FPS' that drove hardware console sales.

Perfect Dark 0 on the XBox 360 wasn't nearly as successful as people though and that got a pretty big marketing push (TV ads, a model layout in a men's magazine, etc.). It's more likely Resistance will be closer to what Perfect Dark 0 was to the 360 than what Halo was to the XBox or GoldenEye to the N64.

J2 Cool

soundwave05 said:
People I think have to realize games like Halo and GoldenEye are the exception, not the rule.

Those are really the only two FPS' that drove hardware console sales.

Perfect Dark 0 on the XBox 360 wasn't nearly as successful as people though and that got a pretty big marketing push (TV ads, a model layout in a men's magazine, etc.). It's more likely Resistance will be closer to what Perfect Dark 0 was to the 360 than what Halo was to the XBox or GoldenEye to the N64.

Agreed. I'm sure it didn't help that the game wasn't as universally acclaimed as a Goldeneye or Halo though. Btw, what are PD0's total sales as of now?

Wollan

Frontline numbers is on Halo 1 level. Pretty impressive. The game on the other hand has no real staying power(which we have seen).
What I hope and what I'm sure of is actualy true with Resistance is that there is no collectors edition.
They won't have a reason to print two discs due to blu-ray since the potential making of videos could all be stored on the single gaming disc. I guess they will be making limited edition for games still in regards to tin cans, print materials, books..etc but not extra discs/videos anymore.

sangreal

J2 Cool said:
Agreed. I'm sure it didn't help that the game wasn't as universally acclaimed as a Goldeneye or Halo though. Btw, what are PD0's total sales as of now?

Around 500k in the US.

Also, PD0 is a terrible, terrible game.

I think Sony's made a bit of a poor decision here - it's going to be directly compared to Gears of War, and it doesn't look quite as good, imo.

I guess they want to have something as a lead game, and an FPS is a good way to go, but I foresee Epic pwnage.

Striek

J2 Cool said:
Abit under 500k in the US. I'd hazard a guess at 700k WW.

And you make a good point, the reason why those two games in particular done extraordinarily well is because they're extraordinary games. Which is what speculative hype behind

Viddie said:
For Sony's sake i hope it's a decent game, i want to be able to play SOMETHING good at launch.
You won't be getting a PS3 at launch if you by now, can't find games that will satisfy you in the 20-25 already confirmed titles.

Wollan said:
What I hope and what I'm sure of is actualy true with Resistance is that there is no collectors edition.
I bet it will. Theres pretty much no game that could possibly be called 'big' that doesn't these days. Hell, it doesn't even have to be a big title. CEs are in fashion.

Striek said:
You won't be getting a PS3 at launch if you by now, can't find games that will satisfy you in the 20-25 already confirmed titles.

I don't think there's anything confirmed about those titles. EB has stuff like Ridge Racer 7 and Armored Core 4 coming in March.

artist

Banned
Core407 said:
I think I'm turning into a sony loyalist here. :lol There's something about this game and a couple other PS3 games that the 360 just doesn't have. This clarity that makes it more realistic, but I can't put my finger on what it is. Could it really be the extra lightsources? :lol

I'm holding out on passing judgement until I see Gears of War, though.
Have you seen the videos? While it looks decent, the gameplay is very bland. Atleast they should have shown off more variety.

Striek

LiveFromKyoto said:
I think Sony's made a bit of a poor decision here - it's going to be directly compared to Gears of War, and it doesn't look quite as good, imo.

I guess they want to have something as a lead game, and an FPS is a good way to go, but I foresee Epic pwnage.
That might be a problem...its shining redemption is that consumers could go the other way when they compare a relatively jaggie-free game (Resistance) to a game with no anti-aliasing and lots of jaggies (GeOW). IQ is important. Insomniac really needs to boost the models of the humans though because they were u-g-l-y at E3.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I don't think there's anything confirmed about those titles. EB has stuff like Ridge Racer 7 and Armored Core 4 coming in March.
Eh, I wasn't thinking about those two. Not going to list them all, but theres 7 confirmed just from Sony (Resistance, Warhawk, SingStar et. al), a couple from Sega (Sonic, FA2), a couple from Activision (TH8, CoD3) a few random ones (Bladestorm, Fatal Inertia, Rainbow Six) and all those sports games we know EA+Take 2 will be bringing (NHL, NBA). Well, some are just listed for 2006 but w/e.

I'm thinking there will be some 25-35 for launch/2006 when all is said and done.

Aaron

It'll likely sell on the level of Killzone, regardless of the quality. There's something about the grittiness (not talking gore here) of the game that makes it less accessable to a wide demographic compared to Halo. I really don't see it as a system seller, but the PS3 will probably help sell more than a few copies of Resistance.

artist

Banned
Striek said:
That might be a problem...its shining redemption is that consumers could go the other way when they compare a relatively jaggie-free game (Resistance) to a game with no anti-aliasing and lots of jaggies (GeOW). IQ is important. Insomniac really needs to boost the models of the humans though because they were u-g-l-y at E3.
AA does not make or break the game, the gameplay does. So far GoW is completely in a different stratosphere as far as IQ and gameplay is concerned.

I dont think sales of FoM or Gow will effect each other as they are exclusives on different platforms. :lol

Wollan

irfan said:
So far GoW is completely in a different stratosphere as far as IQ and gameplay is concerned.

Im not so sure about gameplay. Atleast not in multiplayer, it sounds pretty tacked on in GOW or atleast a late addition. And the '2D' Hide and Cover gameplay has yet to be tested over time for something like multiplayer. I think it will be very cool to begin with, with the 'in your face' blood and gore but I question the longevity. And a clean picture and locked framerate counts alot for most people.

Striek

irfan said:
AA does not make or break the game, the gameplay does. So far GoW is completely in a different stratosphere as far as IQ and gameplay is concerned.
Um, IQ isn't graphics. GeOW has some of the worst IQ of any really hyped next-gen game ...along with some of the best technical graphics. Its clearly a tradeoff.

As for gameplay, I really haven't seen enough of either (since theres incredibly little media of actual in-game gameplay for both, and especially GeOW). But GeOW doesn't strike me as being 'completely in a different stratosphere'.

Also, competition always affects competition, especially when they've both got HUGE marketing campaigns behind them and are launching within a week of one another. MS could make a hefty coup against Sony if GeOW lives up to its hype.

Top Bottom