• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance will get hefty marketing

Wollan

24myx03.gif

Thanks to Knorrie at official forum, posted today.
While it was known it would get marketed heavily this goes into abit more detail.

MARKETING SUPPORT

Sony Computer Entertainment America will support Resistance: Fall of Man with a blockbuster multimillion dollar marketing campaign. This will include aggressive national television, print, online and viral advertising campaigns, full promotional support, dedicated point-of-purchase displays and merchandising support, broad-based public relations support, an immersive and interactive website and feature coverage in the Official PlayStation Magazine/Underground DVD.

http://presscenter.playstation.com/Pages.aspx?id=35

Official RES:FoM forum:
http://forums.insomniacgames.com/viewforum.php?f=22

tunguska.gif

Maybe?

Also, James Stevenson, a new addition to Insomniac is keeping a blog at the official page.
Here's a segment about lunch-time multiplayer matches:

...Obviously, the other fun part is getting to play games. We’ve had lunch tests of multiplayer in order to get 40 people online and playing Resistance at the same time. This works out really well – Insomniac brings in lunch for us, we scarf down the food and then wipe off our hands before picking up a PS3 controller and getting down to business. I’m looking forward to more of these as we get closer to launch.

I was really impressed with the 40-player game of Meltdown (a temporary name I’m told) that we got into. I had a chance to pick it up as both Hybrid and soldier, and the weapons that I played with were just fantastic. The game moves fast and before I knew it, the hour was over. The only downside was that pretty much everyone else has been playing the game for months – so I can’t say I was doing super-well, though I did manage to paint quite a few people with the Bullseye.

It’s fun to be here on the inside, seeing the decisions get made and getting to see a lot of stuff come together before the game’s release. I can’t wait to dive all the way into the single-player mode this week and really get my feet wet with this title....

http://www.insomniacgames.com/community/blarg_full.php?bid=23

Fallofman.JPG

Yoboman

That's good to hear, Sony need a killer app at launch in quality and sales, this will fit the bill. Maybe you were right about this hitting 5 million, Wollan :D I can see it being possible now.

Interests sakes - whats the usua/averagel budget for a marketing campaign?

Forsete

Cool. Resistance sounds very cool. My interest has gone way up since I read the PSM preview.

I just hope Sony wont forget WarHawk, which right now is my most wanted launch PS3 title. :D

Wollan

Second said:
40 players online? Damn, sounds amazing.
Has a console shooter done that before?

I think Delta Force for Xbox(1) supported 50 players but less said about that game the better.

Endgegner

I doubt this will be the PS3 "blockbuster" seller. The scenario is just a little bit to weird for the average gamer to make it "the" PS3 game. Alternative Second World War? Aliens? I just wanna shoot some ****ing Nazis!

It could still hit something like 2 million+ due to launch game status and a long life as a budget title but it's not going to be the title which you immediatly remember when you think PS3 in five years.

Orlics

Is it not possible that the marketing of Sony would cause this game to be hyped up a lot? If the game turns out good, it can become the killer app. That's all I was saying, I was not around here during E3 2005 so I didn't realize I might have sounded like some people who posted at that time. Heck, I'm not getting a PS3 anytime near launch.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
What was the verdict on this game at E3? I remember it was all about Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, Mass Effect.. but not so much about Resistance...

Tellaerin

Endgegner said:
I doubt this will be the PS3 "blockbuster" seller. The scenario is just a little bit to weird for the average gamer to make it "the" PS3 game. Alternative Second World War? Aliens? I just wanna shoot some ****ing Nazis!

No weirder than some guy in a green BMX getup shooting purple aliens iiiiiin spaaaaace, and we all saw how that series turned out. Halo proved that as long as the multiplayer experience is good enough, even people who aren't normally into science fiction will look past the so-called 'weirdness' and embrace the game anyway.

It's not surprising they're going to push this, I mean it's probably between this, Warhawk, and Motorstorm, I think this has the most potential to strike big.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Resistance versus Gears of War for alien/creature FPS game to play this Novemebr: FIGHT! This may be a game that may convince me to get a PS3 if it can deliver.

Endgegner

Tellaerin said:
No weirder than some guy in a green BMX getup shooting purple aliens iiiiiin spaaaaace, and we all saw how that series turned out. Halo proved that as long as the multiplayer experience is good enough, even people who aren't normally into science fiction will look past the so-called 'weirdness' and embrace the game anyway.

Umm, yeah a mixture of World War II and Aliens is definitly wierder than the generic halo sci-fi. Your multiplayer argument holds some truth though.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Reilly said:
Every time I see new screens of this game I get more and more interested in it.

There just aren't enough FPSs these days. *sigh*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This COULD be a big game, but it's really difficult to say at this point. It really depends on just how special it really is. I'm positive that the results will be SOLID, at the very least, but they need to go the extra mile if they really want to deliver a blockbuster title.

Insomniac is a great team, but whether or not they can compete in the FPS genre remains to be seen. Will this be a Halo...or a Black?

It looks very nice and will likely run at a very smooth framerate, but it really just doesn't compare (visually) with Gears of War, which will be launching around that time. I'll be curious to see what kind of impact Gears will have on the game.

I'm also interested in the technology behind Resistance. I wonder if the engine is the sole work of Insomniac this time? Are they working with Naughty Dog on that side of things once again? I'd really like to know.

There just aren't enough FPSs these days. *sigh*
Unfortunately, no. Looking back, there are precious few truly great FPS games out there. Only a handful of memorable FPSes exist from the past few years and I'm always eager to find the next one. With Insomniac behind Resistance, there is a chance that they could actually deliver something really special.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
I'm also interested in the technology behind Resistance. I wonder if the engine is the sole work of Insomniac this time? Are they working with Naughty Dog on that side of things once again? I'd really like to know.
Pretty much all the tech sounds like it's built in-house by Insomniac, based on Ted's various interviews. He's also gone to lengths to quantify the sharing of tech with ND in the past as much less than most people assume, i.e. they've never relied on ND to build them a whole game engine.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
dark10x said:
This COULD be a big game, but it's really difficult to say at this point. It really depends on just how special it really is. I'm positive that the results will be SOLID, at the very least, but they need to go the extra mile if they really want to deliver a blockbuster title.
Agreed. Insomniac has yet to proove they can make a blockbuster, and a game that people outside of hardcore gaming circle know about.

It looks very nice and will likely run at a very smooth framerate, but it really just doesn't compare (visually) with Gears of War, which will be launching around that time. I'll be curious to see what kind of impact Gears will have on the game.
Yeah, it's likely to run at a much smoother framerate than GoW (at least from what I've seen of both so far) but it will just look worse. What I hope they put emphasis on is visual impact outside of shaders. Stuff like huge alien encounters like that thing breaking through walls in the trailer.

Yes, it's completely their own proprietary engine. They are not sharing any tech with ND this time.

jett

D-Member
Agreed. Insomniac has yet to proove they can make a blockbuster, and a game that people outside of hardcore gaming circle know about.

Each R&C game has sold over 2 million worldwide...nearly 7 million total for the franchise. I'm sure it's not just the hardcore that's buying them. :p I guess it's not HALO LEVEL BLOCKBUSTAH, but it's good.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And their Spyro games sold better than R&C. I think the first Spyro sold close to 5 million worldwide.

They certainly have it in them to create multimillion selling franchises. Of course, their themes have skewed friendly for younger audiences thus far, so we'll see how they do with more "mature" content. Their stuff has been lighthearted and whimsical up to this point and RFOM is deliberately going in the opposite direction. Hopefully it doesn't feel forced.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
just a thought: maybe one reason they didn't show Killzone at E3 was because of this game. Killzone is a couple years off and it would take a lot of steam out of Resistance because people would want to wait for killzone.

maybe?

Yoboman

davepoobond said:
just a thought: maybe one reason they didn't show Killzone at E3 was because of this game. Killzone is a couple years off and it would take a lot of steam out of Resistance because people would want to wait for killzone.

maybe?
That thought was circulating long ago

Wollan

I think Sony are putting alot of energy into Killzone PS3. I don't think we will see it before next year with a release in 2008.

Striek

I'm sure I've posted this about a half-dozen times :p

Anyhoo, Sony must have had a lot of faith in Insomniac since the very start. Ever since December, 2004 GAF has known that when Teddman gave us the exclusive on 'I-8'

Teddman said:
Guess what Insomniac is working on

PS3 FPS (launch title) to take on Halo.

These aren't rumors they are 100% confirmed.

Teddman said:
Expect Insomniac to go balls out with the FPS, they have Sony's blessing and a huge budget and have been concepting the game for well over a year.

Lol they went balls out with a world war II storyline… can't beat Halo with that. They should have just ripped Halo apart and made a game in the same setting and titled it Lalo Physics evolved starting a space marine called Master Beef

Oblivion said:
How much did the best selling FPS game on the PS2 sell?

Medal of Honor: Frontline (6.22 million) World Wide
Red Faction (1.67 million)
Killzone also did pretty good.

Those were the only 'big" fps games on PS2 sadly.

Core407

Banned
I think I'm turning into a sony loyalist here. :lol There's something about this game and a couple other PS3 games that the 360 just doesn't have. This clarity that makes it more realistic, but I can't put my finger on what it is. Could it really be the extra lightsources? :lol

I'm holding out on passing judgement until I see Gears of War, though.

Top Bottom