• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resolutiongate: the aftermath. Musings from a Call of Duty Dude Bro.........

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah I'm pretty sure it outputs at 60hz so if there is a frame out of sync you will definitely see it.

Thanks for the clear up, guess the 240hz was most likely playing single player.....or truly just didn't notice lol because I do on my monitor.

I don't understand how hard it is for infinity ward to turn on vsync though....because having higher frame rates is easier to solve then lower IMO.

Marinlik

Neo Member
In the case of Polygon, it's more than clear they're pushing an agenda. Giving lower marks to the superior version is shameful.

I don't care if the resolution is higher on the ps4. If the game stutters then it is clearly the worse version. It shouldn't count as a minus for the ps4, but for a minus against the PS4 version of cod ghost which it does. Because it doesn't stutter because of the ps4, but because of a bad programming. But the ps4 version is worse than the xbox one version.

Edit: Just because it hacks because to high FPS doesn't really matter. It still hacks.

Gonna have to co-sign this thread with my own story.

I picked up my PS4 at launch but just opened up Battlefield 4 a couple of days ago. My brother picked up a One and opened his copy of BF4 up yesterday. I observed as he played.

The differences were obvious. Shimmer and homely aliasing on distant objects and difficulty picking out enemies from distance, just as the OP found in CoD. Poles, power lines, and anything else that might be thin and vertical standing was just obnoxious to look at and rather distracting. Also, the entire picture appeared softer. Nothing seemed crisp.

Outside of that, the game looked largely the same. It's still BF4 and the visual irritants can be largely ignored over time. You'd just get used to them. But it did have an impact on the gameplay experience, imo, and confirmed to me that when I pick up my One...it will be for the exclusives, and only for the exclusives. If the rest of the generation goes like this, there's no way in hell i'm dropping $60 on the One versions of multiplats.

Also, Paracel Storm is like my favorite map ever. How it changes from a sunny day to a gloomy thunderstorm is just the best shit ever in a FPS.

3t5f5l.jpg

oh wow

Metfanant

I don't care if the resolution is higher on the ps4. If the game stutters then it is clearly the worse version. It shouldn't count as a minus for the ps4, but for a minus against the PS4 version of cod ghost which it does. Because it doesn't stutter because of the ps4, but because of a bad programming. But the ps4 version is worse than the xbox one version.

Edit: Just because it hacks because to high FPS doesn't really matter. It still hacks.

have you actually played it??...because frankly ive been playing it since launch...and i played Black Ops 2 pretty extensively on the 360 (Prestige Master) and to be completely honest...the resolution and IQ differences FAR outweigh any minor framerate issues ive experienced...

ViciousDS

Banned
have you actually played it??...because frankly ive been playing it since launch...and i played Black Ops 2 pretty extensively on the 360 (Prestige Master) and to be completely honest...the resolution and IQ differences FAR outweigh any minor framerate issues ive experienced...

This the frame rate issues are so minor at this point is jarring to see someone like the X1 version over the ps4. To really tell the difference of 720 and 1080 play on a monitor with a native 1080p res. whenever I play on my tv all the post processing effects do the 720 image more justic then what it really looks but hot damn when you play on a monitor that does minimal shit to reduce input latency 720 images are just gross and jaw dropping disgusting.

I own both consoles but will keep all multi plats to the ps4 as last gen it was the 360 until about the end of the generation.

hohoXD123

Several sources have mentioned that these stutters are either non-existent or happen very occasionally. I would think that won't outweigh a resolution difference present throughout the game which everyone aside from some "journalists" can notice.

Izayoi

Banned
I have to disagree. Xbox One version just works beautifully and frame rate is KING when it comes to COD games.

I've noticed far too many framerate drops on the PS4 version. They should lower the resolution to 900p and get the framerate right.
Yeah, drop the resolution and make the framerate even higher? Hahaha, you realize that would make the perceived problems actually worse, right? If anything they need to increase the resolution even more in order to bring the framerate down a little.

IMO no one should buy a Xbox One mainly for gaming (except for the exclusives of course), because it's not the consoles strength. Xbox One is no longer a video games console like its predecessors , but an all in one entertainment box because of it's features, gaming is just a part of it and that's why the hardware is not up par with the PS4 hence the tflops difference.

I'm not dissing it or anything just stating the obvious facts, Xbox One is a very capable all in one box, but if you want the best gaming hardware (besides a PC) then PS4 is the obvious choice.

Francis explained this very well IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZiA_qzYA4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU4_bwov47DseacR1-ttTdOg

orphenshadow

Neo Member
I should also note, because someone is going to bring it up. The framerate differences.

The XB1 version of Ghosts runs about the same as the 360 version, which is to say, very smoothly 99% of the time.

The PS4 version doesn't run as smoothly, and the day of the PS4 launch I would even say the fluctuations were regularly noticeable. But over the past week there have already been several patches, and I can say I'm noticing far less drops today than I was a week ago. I'm now optimistic Infinity Ward is going to get this completely sorted out here soon.

So for now, the XB1 still holds a small advantage over the PS4 version when it comes to framerate, but it's getting better with each update, and as I stated in the OP, I would still choose to play the PS4 version due to the advantages mentioned.

I have put 20 hours into the ps4 version and I don't know if its due to an update but I have not noticed any framerate issues. I have only really played multiplayer so I cannot comment on the single player. The game runs silky smooth 1080p and I have not encountered any lag like I did constantly on the 360.

Having played the ps4 and pc versions and seeing the horrible resolution on the xbox one. I think it's safe to say the PS4 is the best version thus far.

S¡mon

Banned
I have to disagree. Xbox One version just works beautifully and frame rate is KING when it comes to COD games.

I've noticed far too many framerate drops on the PS4 version. They should lower the resolution to 900p and get the framerate right.
Haven't you heard? The PS4 version actually runs at a higher framerate than 60 fps, which is apparently causing the frame drops (or better said: skips, as there is no dip in framerate).

Maybe Infinity Ward should release a 1440p patch for PS4. :p

IMO no one should buy a Xbox One mainly for gaming (except for the exclusives of course), because it's not the consoles strength. Xbox One is no longer a video games console like its predecessors , but an all in one entertainment box because of it's features, gaming is just a part of it and that's why the hardware is not up par with the PS4 hence the tflops difference.

I'm not dissing it or anything just stating the obvious facts, Xbox One is a very capable all in one box, but if you want the best gaming hardware (besides a PC) then PS4 is the obvious choice.

Francis explained this very well IMO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZiA_qzYA4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU4_bwov47DseacR1-ttTdOg

I am getting an XB1 and I would agree with this. I also maybe getting old, but when I am playing a game/seeing videos I hardly notice the graphics difference that I notice on screenshots, so that helps ;)

coldfoot

Banned
i could be wrong...but as far as i know the consoles are going to output a 60hz signal no matter what is rendered....120hz sets will just display duplicate frames...the judder will still be an issue....
The HDMI chip on the PS4, based on the ifixit Teardown supports HDMI 1.4b, which means 120hz output. So 120hz can definitely be patched in to the OS in the future when more TV's support it. In the Xbone, it seems to be integrated somewhere so I don't know which HDMI it supports.

I just started playing BF4 on PS4 and I can already tell the difference since this is the first non 1080p game I've played on the machine. It's pretty similar to how I was after playing PC games for so long it becomes way easier to spot how ugly PS3/360 games are, it's way easier to spot a game that's not 1080p on this too.

PC gaming can be quite educational on certain aspects of technology. Something gaming journalists obviously can't be bothered with.

coldfoot

Banned
It sit about 8 feet away from a 42 inch set. I'm definitely not sitting overly close.
But you shouldn't be able to tell the difference with that TV size and viewing distance according to the bullshit chart :)
Did you try AC4 900p vs 1080p, can you still notice the difference?

Metfanant

The HDMI chip on the PS4, based on the ifixit Teardown supports HDMI 1.4b, which means 120hz output. So 120hz can definitely be patched in to the OS in the future when more TV's support it. In the Xbone, it seems to be integrated somewhere so I don't know which HDMI it supports.

i dont doubt that is the case...my point was simply that for the time being both consoles are going to output a 60hz signal...no matter what the actual framerate of the game is...so anything over 60fps is going to create judder for all TV's regardless of refresh rate...

coldfoot

Banned
i dont doubt that is the case...my point was simply that for the time being both consoles are going to output a 60hz signal...no matter what the actual framerate of the game is...so anything over 60fps is going to create judder for all TV's regardless of refresh rate...
That's correct, not that there are many TV's that take 120Hz input anyhow.
99% of 120/240/480Hz TV still only take 60Hz input from HDMI.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Thanks for the level headed write up OP. While I don't play shooters myself (well I do but I'm terrible at them) I appreciate you sharing your comparisons with us. The thing I was most curious about was the controller for each system. I only have a PS4 so I only have experience with DS4 but it is such a vast improvement over the DS3. I agree that the sticks on the DS4 seem near perfect.

Xbox 360 wired controller is my go to for PC games but I could easily see myself switching over to DS4 if proper drivers are ever released for it. I know I can get it to sorta work by jumping through a few hoops but I don't want to do that at all. Honestly, jumping through those hoops not just for controller but for other settings is the reason my $1,200 gaming PC is used for not much more than neogaf and business stuff.

I do want to try out the xbone controller at some point. I haven't seen any of the demo stations out in the wild though. I gotta feel this 100 million dollar controller though. All the impressions I've read seem to indicate it's a step back from the very good 360 controller.

As for the 720p vs 1080p I'd figure it would just be a no brainer. Native 1080p will always be better given the choice.

Metfanant

That's correct, not that there are many TV's that take 120Hz input anyhow.
99% of 120/240/480Hz TV still only take 60Hz input from HDMI.

and of course you would expect IW to catch this...and i would also imagine a hard cap on the framerate would not be something that is overly difficult to implement to fix the issue....

its an urban legend that CoD games (on any console) actually hold a solid 60fps anyway...so if they would cap the PS4 version at 60fps i think people would be shocked that the vast majority of what they THINK are framedrops actually disappear...

M_A_C

Good post OP, and I just want to say that I played some last night and there were little to no FPS hitches. The only map I've seen it consistently on is the Scotland castle level. Runs extremely smooth 99% of the time.

Tabular

Banned
Is there a comparison between COD Ghosts PS4 and Xbone? I thought that would be a hot topic but I have yet to see one. I just find the comparisons of the 720p ps4 version to the Xbone version such as the one Polygon did. Where is the patched version being compared?

I just want to say this: IQ, framerate, resolution are important to me, and I play and will continue to play most games on my PC because of it, but if throughout this gen the ONE delivers 900p instead of 1080p on PS4, or 720p vs. 900p, but has kinect plus all its media features, MS is in a good position except in the eyes of the most hardcore of gamers.

COD also seems like an extreme case: The ONE should be able to deliver more than half the pixels that the PS4 does.

Izayoi

Banned
Is there a comparison between COD Ghosts PS4 and Xbone? I thought that would be a hot topic but I have yet to see one. Just the comparisons of the 720p ps4 version to the Xbone version such as the one Polygon did. Where is the patched version being compared?
I've been asking this question for days.

It seems like DF is not doing anymore multiplat comparisons... Either that or they are taking their sweet, sweet time in doing so.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've been asking this question for days.

It seems like DF is not doing anymore multiplat comparisons... Either that or they are taking their sweet, sweet time in doing so.

We should be getting a bunch this week according to them.

you are thinking that its a power issue when its really just working out the esram issue.

There are 1080p games running on the xbone from third parties.

From Anandtech:

The ROPs (render outputs/raster operations pipes) are responsible for final pixel output, and at the resolutions these consoles are targeting having 16 ROPs definitely puts the Xbox One as the odd man out in comparison to PC GPUs. Typically AMD’s GPU targeting 1080p come with 32 ROPs, which is where the PS4 is, but the Xbox One ships with half that. The difference in raw shader performance (12 CUs vs 18 CUs) can definitely creep up in games that run more complex lighting routines and other long shader programs on each pixel, but all of the more recent reports of resolution differences between Xbox One and PS4 games at launch are likely the result of being ROP bound on the One. This is probably why Microsoft claimed it saw a bigger increase in realized performance from increasing the GPU clock from 800MHz to 853MHz vs. adding two extra CUs. The ROPs operate at GPU clock, so an increase in GPU clock in a ROP bound scenario would increase performance more than adding more compute hardware.

Sacrifices, major ones, will need to be made to match resolutions we will see on the PS4. It is a power issue. No matter how you slice it.

Punkrockguy

Neo Member
I also have both systems and while I don't have Ghost's on both systems, I do have both versions of Battlefield 4. After playing Battlefield 4 on the PS4 for a week and then throwing in the Xbox One version, I noticed the difference immediately! The difference between 720P and 900P doesn't sound like much, but it was noticable to me right away. The PS4 version is much more clear.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It sit about 8 feet away from a 42 inch set. I'm definitely not sitting overly close.

Are you saying at 8ft distance you can tell the difference between the resolutions on Xbox One and PS4 on a 42inch set?

Is there a comparison between COD Ghosts PS4 and Xbone? I thought that would be a hot topic but I have yet to see one. I just find the comparisons of the 720p ps4 version to the Xbone version such as the one Polygon did. Where is the patched version being compared?

I tweeted Digital Foundry asking about this and they said they hope to have the Ghosts face-off on Tuesday. AC4 and BF4 on Thursday.

Are you saying at 8ft distance you can tell the difference between the resolutions on Xbox One and PS4 on a 42inch set?

Yes, easily.

VASPER

Banned
I'm honestly more interested in if the frame rate (COD Ghost) on the XB1, is it solid? I have the PS4 version and i love it yet its frame rate drops alot and even more so on the Ground war, is it solid on the XB1?

Mikey Jr.

I am finding it more surprising that people are preferring a Playstation controller to an Xbox controller.

Especially considering MS touted as spending 100 million on the controller.

Top Bottom